Hampton Inn - Manhattan Times Square North

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Nice Location in Midtown an Times Square

Location, Location, Location! that's what real estate agents would say when selling properties and location makes a property prices sky high and in Hotels is no different and Hampton Inn near Times Square takes this cake since it is one of the cheapest hotels (a misnomer since there is no cheap hotels in the times square area but still at $ 275 for a twin room, is still cheap by manhattan standards . in the Times Square Area (excluding motels ok) and is way more cheaper than hotels like the Marriott Marquis Times Square.

Unique Quality: again the location! it is just 4 blocks away from Times Square! theren are lots of shopping, eating and things to do places nearby and also tourist traps hehehe.

Directions: 51 Eighth Avenue @ 51st Street, New York City

• PKCass's Profile Photo

Within Walking Distance of Broadway

I've stayed at this Hampton Inn three times now. Actually, I've never stayed anywhere else in NYC, so I don't have a basis for comparison to other hotels. I like the Hampton chain in general. Breakfast is included in the price of the stay, and there are hot items as well as cereals, breads, fruit, juice, coffee, tea and milk. The rooms are large by New York standards. The front desk staff is always friendly and helpful. There are cheaper hotels, I'm sure, but I like the location. I would definitely recommend it to others.

Unique Quality: There is a subway stop a block away. You can walk to almost any Broadway theatre from this hotel in 15 minutes or less. There is coffee and hot tea available in the lobby 24/7 which is especially great in the winter. There are good restaurants within walking distance, too.

Directions: 8th Ave between 51st and 52nd Streets

More about Hampton Inn - Manhattan Times Square North

Hampton Inns are always great

by TripAdvisor Member goingtosail

Stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Square North last weekend and as always, Hampton does a great job. Very large, clean room, very friendly staff, the best pillows and comfortable bed. I have stayed at Hamptons in small towns and now in NYC and they consistently do a great job. Highly recommend this hotel.

Nicely Redone--Surprisingly Convenient Location

Stayed at the Hampton Inn--Times Square North for a couple of nights (November 10 & 11) when I extended my trip to NYC and had to find another place to stay.

The renovation is complete--everything is fresh and new, and the rooms are a good size for NYC. Despite the construction site next door, the room was very quiet--mine faced away from 8th Avenue, so there wasn't much of a view. But I don't mind trading "View" for "Quiet".

Location was outstanding. Although just steps from the C & E Subway stations right on 50th Street & 8th Avenue, I found better connections by taking a short walk to the stations on 49th/50th Streets off of Broadway and 7th Avenue.

Lots of restaurants within an easy walk. The Hampton Inn's North of Times Square location enables you to easily walk to many Broadway Theaters without having to pass through the madness of Times Square itself. Conveniently, there's a Post Office right around the corner on 52nd Street.

The Hampton Inn was not cheap--about $300 per night (after I swallowed my pride and used the Senior Rate for the first time in my life), but it was cheaper than the other Hampton Inns in town and even less expensive than the Apple Core Hotels (Red Roof Inn, Comfort Inn Midtown, etc). And I found it to be a nicer and better staffed hotel compared to the Hampton Inn down on 24th Street in Chelsea that I stayed at in 2003.

So, if you don't mind paying $300 + for a Hampton Inn (yikes--but in High Season), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one.

Free Local Calls, Breakfast, High Speed Internet

by grandmaR about Hampton Inn

I'm doing the hotels like the restaurants - if they are a chain, I'm putting them on the USA page.

The Hampton Inn is now affiliated with Hilton. There are Hampton Inns all over the US. I've stayed in Hampton Inns in Charlottesville VA, Charleston WV, Pittsburgh PA, Chicago, IL, Edenton NC, Waycross, GA, Ocala, FL, Frankfort, KY, Lexington, VA, Denton, LA, and San Jose Costa Rica among other places. Hampton Inn has a guarantee of satisfaction. I also like that there is a pool (mostly outdoors), an easy to remember reservation number, and free local calls. There is usually an exercise room, and elevators. They also have very good free breakfasts which include just about everything except bacon and eggs. It's not just a wimpy coffee and Danish kind of thing.

Coffee, and hot water for tea, hot chocolate and hot cereal. Cold cereal, milk, and orange juice, plus at least one other kind of juice. Toast, bagels, muffins, biscuits, and toaster waffles. Apples, and oranges.

They don't have a restaurant on site, but there is usually one close by and sometimes they will have the van driver that drives to the airport to pick people up to take you to various local restaurants for dinner and pick you back up (Costa Rica and Chicago)

Now, there is also free highspeed wi-fi in the rooms and also in the lobby.

Quality at Low Cost

by grandmaR about Sleep Inn

We went to visit our son and DIL in Thanksgiving of 2002. I searched on the www for the cheapest hotel to stay, thinking it would be the Hampton Inn.

Surprise - it wasn't. It was the Sleep Inn. The Sleep in is right off the interstate (very convenient). And it has two of the things I consider essential - free local calls and a nice (free) breakfast.

Sleep Inn seems to be associated with the Quality Inn/Comfort Inn group. They have interior corridors, and indoor pools, but do not usually have restaurants in the hotel. I think they are generally better than the Super 8s, and they have a AAA ** (two star) rating.

They say: "We guarantee the best online rates* for any Choice hotel...and it's easy. Just book your room here. If you find a lower rate for the same hotel and room type on the same date at any other online source, simply let us know. Complete the Best Choice e-Rate Guarantee form and we'll give you the best rate...plus an additional 10% off!" All rooms have an oversized work area with bright task lighting, telephone with data port, convenient desk-height electrical outlets, remote-controlled color TV and electronic door locks. A significant number of the rooms include a signature well-lit oversized shower.

In addition to the free deluxe continental breakfast, free local calls and 100% Guest Satisfaction Guarantee, they have a Choice Privileges® rewards program, plus USA TODAY or The Wall Street Journal.

The breakfast was a nice one including chipped beef and biscuits, waffles and pancakes, cereal, fruit, milk, coffee, and hot water for tea, in addition to all the various pasteries associated with a continental breakfast

Cheapest Guarantee

by grandmaR about Super 8

Super 8 advertises that they will meet any competitor's price, and sometimes that they will accept coupons from competitors.

Sometimes their hotels are purpose-built (built for them) and sometimes they've taken over hotels that were formerly another chain. Those taken over hotels tend IMHO to be better built and may have a pool. The ones that are built for them tend to be 3 story and have a problem with sound proofing.

Their website says:

1972 Dennis Brown starts budget motel referral system.
1973 Referral system dissolves and motel franchising begins. .
1974 The first Super 8 Motel, a 60-room property in Aberdeen, South Dakota.
1975 Super 8's toll-free reservation system, Superline, is implemented.

"Super 8 retains the title of the world's largest franchised economy lodging chain.

"Super 8 is ranked second in the budget category in the 2002 J.D. Power and Associates' North America Hotel Guest Satisfaction Study."

I have stayed at Super 8s that were inexpensive and good, and I've stay in them where they were noisy and charged extra for local calls including requiring a deposit before they would activate the phone. The things that attracted me to Super 8 were

low prices
free breakfast

The breakfast isn't bad, but it seems not to be as consistently good as the Hampton Inn and the Sleep Inn.

Some of them have free local calls, but NOT ALL OF THEM

Great place

I would well recommend Hampton Inn to anyone going to New York. Hotel was fab, location was great, staff were friendly, rooms were perfect and the breakfast in the morning was just superb. Just what you need to set you up for a day packed full of shopping and sight seeing. I will certainly stay here again.

Nothing Fancy, but a Good Value

I recently spent a couple of days at the Hampton Inn over the Thanksgiving Holiday with my wife and in-laws. The rooms were clean and relatively large compared to where we stayed the last time which was the Muse (which is nice but a little tight). The location is ideal if your plans involve seeing some shows.

Two words of caution: First, try to get a room on the east side of the building. There is a building under construction on the adjacent lot and the construction workers on one day were a little noisy and began there day at 7am. The second issue I had was the receptionist could find the reservation I made through Hotels.com. It actually turned out to be a blessing because my father-in-law ended up paying a $100 less a night than I did.

What a Great Place??

I & my three 50 something girlfriends went to New York Sept. 29th for 3 nights at the Hampton Inn. at 8th & 51st. It couldn't have been better. The hotel is owned by Hilton & you'd think it was a Hilton!! The hotel had just been refurbished and was really clean & beautiful with QUEEN- sized beds for the 4 of us to share instead of doubles. We received a FREE buffet breakfast every morning (even gave it to us on check-in day because we were there early enough) The staff was really great. We walked everywhere we could with Times Square only a few blocks away. I'd recommend the new show called NAKED GIRL ON THE APPIAN WAY. We all laughed out-loud at that one. Also saw Matt Bogaart in a festival play (he's our favorite). We voted the TAO the favorite restaurant (BEAUTIFUL like a Vegas casino). We did go to China Town (we each had to purchase an extra bag to get all the new goodies we purchased there on the airplanes.(GREAT PURSES) if you know where to go. We took the tour of Greenwich Village on Sunday Afternoon. I wasn't a real fan of such things but would have called it a cultural tour with some great food and would highly recommend it. We took to BEAST out to view the Statue of Lib. (what a Blast!!). Also did the TODAY show & got some great photos.
Can't wait to go back.

Transportation from JFK to Manhattan Soho

My wife and I are staying for one night in a hotel at Watts St. near Hudson St
any suggestions of how to get there from JFK will be appreciated,thanks in advance.

by travelfrosch

I can't give you precise advice since I don't know the exact address of your hotel, but I can tell you the E Train serves that part of town. You can take the AirTrain to Jamaica (NOT Howard Beach), then transfer to the Manhattan-bound E Train. Get off at the stop closest to your hotel. If you don't want to take the Subway, or if you're carrying a lot of heavy luggage, just take a taxi.

by nicolaitan

from JFK, take the AirTrain to the Howard Beach terminus. get on the A train and take it to the Canal Street exit. Exit the underground nearest 6th Avenue and walk west on canal to Hudson. make a right on hudson. this walk should be under five minutes.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY! ;O)

by nicolaitan

gimme a break here mark. i work in brooklyn and queens, the latter just one mile from jfk. just think how much better you know the bronx than i do.

by travelfrosch

Nic, my post was intended to be a Mea Culpa, not a snarky remark, which I guess is how it came across (not that I've EVER written anything snarky... ;).

You're right... and I know you're much more familiar with the area than I am.

by jnogen

Hi: thank you both for your suggestions we do really appreciate them,we hope
to have a good time in the Big Apple.Thanks again

by nyceagle1633

Is that the new Holiday Inn ?

by nicolaitan

mark - i assumed, correctly, you were just paying obeisance for the answer, never thought it was meant badly. see accompanying email.

by jnogen

Hello it's the Hampton Inn Manhattan Soho located at Watts near Hudson.
Thanks for asking.

by AuTourDuMonde32

Nicolitan showed the way!
A train to Canal~

Great place~ Stayed there in November~Glass atrium although the only communal area, is an awesome little place to eat, sit or just chill out~
Hampton Inn= Best value in the US!

It's closer to 6th ave than it is to Hudson~ so you can just walk to the exit at the extreme north (front end of the train) and exit there, walk up 2 blocks to Watts and you'll see it on your left.. If you can, ask for a northward-facing room, as Watts is a major thoroughfare for Holland Tunnel traffic and very very congested 22hrs a day~

Comments