Helmsley Middletowne Hotel

148 E. 48th St., New York City, New York, 10017, United States

• thefolly4's Profile Photo

Fine hotel

stopped here a couple of years ago, after a long flight & transfer from airport it was a delight to book in here, we had two rooms adjacent to each other but no interconnecting doors which was fine, we were on the eighth floor overlooking 2nd avenue, the hotel was plush & clean, room service exallant, could not fault it at all. The hotel is in a good location to the centre of everything, walking everywhere is no problem, Had a week here & would go again & stay here

• travellingdan's Profile Photo

Nice and Old Style

I had a biz trip to the U.N. so I booked a hotel close to the U.N. plaza and got the Helmsley Middletowne Hotel.

Unique Quality: Its a nice old fashioned hotel. If you don't like the shiny steel and glass look of "modern" hotels, thsi is a cute choice.

• viny32's Profile Photo

Nice implantation and good price (for NY)

this hotel is nice, with a great room (well the one you got) with all we need (personnal bathroom, fridge, bed, tv...). Only the breakfast is minimum, and you will prefer to take it in an other place.

Plus, It is close to Subway, Grand Station, RockFeller and not so far from the 5th avenue.
    there are many restaurant around where you can get typical american food and typical breakfast (pan cake rules!)

Well, we saw that many French people stay there, but also Italian, English, well international customers.
    Just a tip: make your reservation as soon as you can and prefer internet (Anyway, as example) to avoid any extra tax.

Unique Quality: Good implentation

• jobekenobi's Profile Photo

Perfect base for a Manhattan holiday

Excellent service with friendly staff. We had a twin double room which was huge and well equipped with hairdryer, TV, fridge, iron & board, Big closets and en-suite bathroom. Much more than i had expected from the official star rating.
    Ideally placed for Times Square nights out, Fifth avenue shopping, the subway, Grand Central station and many main sights.

Unique Quality: Muffins, pastries, yoghurts, juice and hot drinks are available from the lobby in the morning to take back to your room - be quick though as its very popluar!

Directions: east 48th and 3rd

• SiCkb0y's Profile Photo

Helmsley Middletowne Hotel

According to Dorling Kindersley: 220-300 $ for a double room per night (tax included)

Unique Quality: It's quite a small hotel with a friendly atmosphere - you are soon recognized by the hotel staff. The furniture is in bright colors and comfortable. There is a carpet istead of tiles, which I don't really like about hotels, so for me a carpet is a big advantage ;-) It just makes me feel better.
    The hotel is located near the border of Upper and Lower Midtown [Manhattan], just around the corner from Waldorf-Astoria and close to some world-famous buildings [Grand Central Terminal, UN Headquarters, Chrysler Building, Rockefellr Center]. You can take a walk to the Central Park if you want to relax a bit. At the same time it's a relatively safe area (at least for a place as big as NYC).

More about Helmsley Middletowne Hotel

Helmsley Middletowne was perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member babsdiver

My two girlfriends & I have just returned from our trip to NYC where we spent five nights at the Helmsley Middletowne. We were very happy with the location and the accomodations! Our one-bedroom suite was perfect for sleeping and relaxing. Yes, the Helmsley is an older hotel with lots of charm. Sure, the lobby is small and the furniture is somewhat aged. Those things were far outweighed by all the positives...everyone was very pleasant and helpful (the desk clerk helped us book a tour), our room was cleaned every day (as opposed to some hotels we've stayed in that will only clean your room every third day!), we had lots of hot water with great water pressure and all the big fluffy towels we wanted. The Helmsley Middletowne is in such a great location---just off Lexington Ave. on E. 48th Street---this is a wonderful part of the city. We walked up to Central Park, over to Broadway and back to the hotel. The Chrysler Building was in the neighborhood (beautiful at night!) and Rockefeller Center and Radio City Music Hall were only a few blocks away. The 24-hr Deli/Carry Out(Bunny's) across the street was really great to have close by. There's also a nice little place to eat on the corner-Ruffle's Cafe & Restaurant. I had read comments about the slow elevators---never a problem for us. They do offer a continental breakfast which was always great...but...you really do need to get down to the lobby early-it goes fast! The coffee was fresh and hot-they had orange juice, yogurt, bagels, muffins, croissants. We had a problem with our TV reception-called the front desk and in literally five minutes they had two servicemen at our door and the problem was quickly resolved. To sum it up, we will stay at the Helmsley Middletowne next time in NYC! We loved it!

Clean and convenient

We have just stayed for 6 nights in the Helmsley Middletowne. Nice to get a complimentary continental breakfast as long as you got down early to get it. Bathroom in need of redoing but maid was thorough with clean towels daily.

Bedroom area was spotless and bedding very clean. For the price we paid the hotel was sufficient and an ideal location - only a short distance from the centre of everything.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jo_three

My husband, I and another couple just returned from our first trip to New York City, December 3-6th, 2004. We stayed at the Helmsley Middletowne for $160.00 US a night. We were really worried that it would be a horrible hotel based on past reviews and the great price we got, but it was wonderful. It may be old, but it added to the charm. It was very clean and the staff was unbelievebly friendly and helpful. My husband and I were upgraded to the penthouse which looked like a palace, but our friends had the regular room with a king size bed and it was lovely also. All four us would stay there again the first chance we got!!!

You get what you pay for.

When shopping around New York for hotels through Expedia, I was given a great price on the Helmsley Middletowne. Let me just say, that while this was an incredible price—it was not worth it! It is not anything like the rest of the Helmsley chain that it belongs to. It is housed in a fairly old buildilng, making for dumpy rooms. The furniture is old and discolored and the carpet is very dingy. The bed was perhaps the worst bed I have ever slept on in my entire life. A cold, tile floor would have been more comfortable - my back is still paying the price a week later. There is no room service—you must order out from a limited choice of restaurants...none of which looked appealing. Coke and ice machines are few and far between. The hotel also sits next to a Chinese or Indian restaurant (I can't recall which). After hanging my clothes in the closet and opening the closet door to get dressed for a business meeting - I realized that keeping the closet door closed was a HUGE mistake. My clothes smelled like Chinese food that had been rotting in a dumpster which takes me to my next complaint. Directly outside the hotel on the curb, the two Asian restaurants dump all of their trash and garbage bags right where you walk out to catch your cab greeting you with an incredibly foul odor. Whatever it takes, do not waste your money on this dump.

A very pleasant place to stay.

We stayed at the Helmsley Middletown from October 11, 2004 to October 14th. We found that our room was clean, large by NYC standards and provided excellent accomodations. I particularly liked the bedding (sheets, pillows, blankets), and the furniture tables, chairs etc.).

Some of the woodworking etc. is of older vintage (but so is Harvard's and Yale's) but is was well kept and the quality of the bathroom including water pressure and abundant luxurious towels was pleasing.

We enjoyed the small refrigerator and the location which was in a very nice neighborhood (which is not true of some neighbors near Times Square).

There are great delis within a block or two displaying a great variety of attracitve fare -- some open for 24 hours. The hotel's continentel breakfast is fine -- coffee, juice, and good pastry.

Our room was on the 14th floor (really the 13th but none of the hotels call the 13th floor by its real name) and our view was fine overlooking 48th Street.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They stored our luggage at no charge after we checked out so that we could sight-see before our trip to Laguardia and also provided bathroom facilities and a place to change.

My wife and I found a taxi to be the best way to the airport -- it took around 40 minutes in 5 PM traffic and cost $28 before tip. The hotel's doorman hailed a cab in less than two minutes time.

Looking forward to returning some day. Hope this information is helpful to you.

Comments