304 E 42nd St, New York City, New York, 10017, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Convenient Hotel on 42nd St.

We stayed in the Tudor for 3 nights, and were overall satisfied. The location is good, on 42nd Street, near 2nd Ave: a bit "off center" to the east, but only a 5 minute walk from 5th Ave and Grand Central Station.
    There is nothing fancy or glamorous about this hotel, but all the services were satisfactory.
    Our room was a bit small, but still comfortable and very quiet for Manhattan, facing a small side street. The staff was friendly, especially the concierge who was knowledgeable and helpful. The room price was reasonable for Manhattan.

• madmary71's Profile Photo

Very comfortable stay, but small room.

This is a very comfortable luxury hotel. My husband and I were there last June 2005 for our 2 year anniversary. At first you might find the room too small, but one must realize that NYC hotels are usually small. The last hotels I've been are Best Western, Edison, Holiday Inn, Helmsley Mid-town, yet this is the best one so far. We paid $150.00 USD, and that is already discounted due to "connection".

Unique Quality: Very quaint lounge bar aka Cecil's Lounge and Bar.

• StuartSage's Profile Photo

Don't Be Fooled By The Title

When booking via the web, the photos of this hotel looked OK - upon arrival after a flight from the UK we were shown into a room of London sized proportions (i.e. tiny!) - and I thought that they did it bigger in the States!

Whilst it was clean enough, it was a bit shabby - the wallpaper was peeling in places and some of the fittings had the original hotel's name on still!

Fair play to them though, the next day they did move us to a larger room when asked but there was still a bit of a shabby feel to the place. Overall it was not what I would have expected from a Crowne Plaza property

Unique Quality: Location is great though - about 3 mins from Grand Central and the subway - but it's better to walk to experience the streets!

• Comfortable hotel near UN HQ

Rooms are small, but comfortable. This used to be Tudor Hotel and it still says so here and there. The view was nothing, but the athmosphere in this hotel is very nice. Nice service although some trainee members of the staff should be trained a little more .. Breakfast staff excellent though.. overall a good experience.

Location is very good to my opinion. It's easy to walk everywhere, UN is near. Also the local bus stop is at the front of the hotel, as is a taxi stand.

Prices for a double can be around $200 but vary greatly during the year.

• mrtourne's Profile Photo

Impressive for the price

I stayed overnight at the Crowne Plaza United Nations back in September for a meeting - I was pretty impressed with the quality of the hotel. The entrance doesn't say much, and the lobby is rather minuscule. However I found my room to be very well appointed, with great thermostat-controlled AC (a must in NYC in the summer), an ample marble bathroom, full TV lineup, good room service, etc. I got a pretty good room even though I am not even a part of their rewards program.

The location is convenient to midtown if a bit on the eastern side. You will have to walk a bit to get to main attractions or to Central Park (or take a cab)

My rate wasn't spectacular (in the mid 200s) but then again it was a busy week and everything was booked up. At this time (Dec 2003) they are actually running a $109 prepaid special through their web site (amazing rate for a good hotel in NYC) and $135 not prepaid.... Jump on it, for that price you won't find better.

The only low point is that my visit coincided with the UN General Assembly and all streets were cut off, which made getting in and out a bit of a mess. The police were asking the cabbie to move along even as I was getting my bag out of the trunk! So check your schedule on whether there will be something going on at the UN at that time to spare yourselves the aggravation.

Unique Quality: Good location, fairly central, nicely appointed rooms

Directions: United Nations , Midtown East

More about Tudor Hotel at the United Nations

Great Weekend at the Crowne Plaza UN!

by TripAdvisor Member thedfamily

Just returned from a weekend in New York City with my 13 year old daughter. It was our first trip to NYC and we picked the Crowne Plaza at the United Nations. It was a great choice! We had a good-sized corner room with a big bathroom. (Ask for one of the "02" rooms for a corner.) The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Staff were courteous and helpful, especially the concierge who helped us with theatre tickets and travel tips. The hotel is right on 42nd and 2nd so you can walk everywhere! We got a great rate off the website.

Good, but it doesn't have the 'Wow' factor..

We stayed her for 4 nts in October 04. On arrival we were given a small double room, which we declined (two girls travelling together) - we asked for a twin as booked, which seemed to annoy the receptionist. We were eventually offered a twin smoking room as the only available option(strange, as the American couple checking in after we initially did were offered a choice of twin, double, smoking or non-smoking rooms). The room was fine - it was the corridor that smelt smoky more than anything.
The beds and linen were divine - definitely what was needed after a long days shopping / sightseeing.
The doormen were very friendly and whilst the hotel as a whole was good, it just didn't feel like it was catering for tourists - had quite a corporate feel to it - more business like than anything else.
The location was fine - quite a long walk from Times Sq - and not an awful lot going on in the immediate area at night. If asked, I would not recommend the hotel as the 'ideal' for a sightseeing holiday, but if given the choice between this and another similarly rated hotel, I would probably go for the Crowne Plaza UN.

Quite nice

by TripAdvisor Member DCJP

Stayed here with the fiancee last weekend. Would agree that it is not a 1st class hotel: a touch run down (our carpet in our room bubbled) with narrow hallways and elevators. One wonders what the old Hotel Tudor was like before Crowne Plaza spruced it up. Our room was small, but comfy and a corner room with a view of the East River. Service was excellent, especially concierge Maggie, who helped my fiancee with a few birthday surprises for moi. Remarkably quiet yet walking distance to it all neighborhood (Tudor City - who knew?), amazing what just a couple blocks east will do. We usually stay at the Intercontinental Barclay, and would probably go back there next time. But it's also a little unfair to compare these hotels. I completely get why some swear this is the hotel for them.

My favourite Hotel

Having visited New York many times Marathons etc I can honestly say the Crowne UN is my favourite.
Friendly staff great location and a cosy 'non plastic' feel
A country Hotel within a city

fit the bill/will be back

by TripAdvisor Member jvasuncion

A buddy and I stayed at the cP at the UN for four nights this past May. I would highly recommend the place if you
- can get a reasonable rate that won't hurt the budget (we're Canadians so always had to do the conversion from uSD when researching hotel rates);
- are not looking for something in the hustle and bustle of Times Square; and
- are just looking for a place to recharge the batteries after a long day/night enjoying NYC. There is a cross-town bus that stops right at the hotel, and Grand Central subway station is about a three to five minute walk (depending on your speed) away. Staff can also get a cab for you upon request. It is a quiet hotel.

We stayed in a fourth floor executive room with two queens and a pullout. Space-wise, it certainly was adequate, given we were not in their all that much. While we ended up with a smoking room, either the smell dissipated quickly or we got use to it to the point that it was not an issue. Neither of us used the hotel facilities, except for a drink or two at the bar, whose atmosphere I would describe as a bit stuffy, which isn't a criticism, just an observation. It certainly reflect the international flavor one would expect given its proximity to the UN.

Being that my buddy and I are both blind, I was paying particular attention to how staff treated us. What was great is that they were professional and helpful without being patronizing at all. Freddy the doorman and his bell staff were particularly noteworthy. For example, upon arriving, Freddy greeted us, took us up to our room, showed us the essentials (e.g., which is the voicemail button on the phone, which bottle is the shampoo, etc.), and then accompanied my friend downstairs to show him a place where he could relieve his guide dog. While I agree that his extra attention was undoubtedly a result of us both being blind, being a frequent business traveler, I can spot genuine good customer service, and Freddy certainly has the skills down pat.

The only reason I did not give the stay an excellent score was because at checkout, the invoice had a pet-deposit fee on it, even after I had CP's Customer Relations write a note on the file prior to my arrival, explicitly confirming that guide dogs are not considered pets. While this was quickly resolved without question, I would expect the front desk staff at a major hotel to know about the ADA and the fact that a guide dog is not considered a 'pet.' To their credit, the woman I dealt with, did indicate that this pet charge was on the bill, so at least it was easily remedied on the spot, rather than having to take care of it after the fact. Despite this minor inconvenience, I will definitely be back.

A note to other travelers who are blind that there is excellent Braille signage on doors and at/in the elevators.

How are these hotels?

by Tania99

Radisson Lexington Hotel New YorK. Its located in Midtown Manhattan, 3 blocks from Rockefeller Center. I want to be close to time square. Is the area safe? How much approx for taxi from hotel to time square?

Tudor Hotel New York: 304 East 42nd Street
Is this too far? Good location.

Near both the hotels, are there any good places nearby to have good breakfast breakfast?

Please recommend any other hotels?

Re: How are these hotels?

by dino335

The Tudor is all the way over on the East Side, in Tudor City, which is group of upscale Apartments in a park like setting. Very safe and quiet. About a mile from Times Square. You can take a crosstown bus. Taxi would be around $5 - $6. Also, a long walk to the Subway (42nd and Lexington). The is a great and expensive Italian Restaurant in Tudor City, L'Impero. The a few delis. You would have to walk over to Second Avenue for more choices. This Hotel is very close to the United Nations.

There are a bunch of hotels in the area where the Radisson is, a wide variety of Restaurants nearby, close to the 6, E and F subways, walking distance to Times Square(around 1/2 mile). A better location in terms of getting to other places in Manhattan.

I have not stayed at either of these, suggest you look at Tripadvisor.com for reviews and more detail

Re: How are these hotels?

by mojopac

Whatever happened to good manners?!!!
For you I'd suggest El Taco Bado...in Mexico!

Comments