232 West 29th Street, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

Typically corporate hotel

Stay: Nov 10-14, 2006.

No charm, but functional and clean. Renovated on 2005, this 15-stairs hotel was quite nice for a short stay. Next to a couple of subway stops and to Penn Station, probably not the best area of Manhattan but easy to go anywhere else. In my case to be near Penn station was a must as I arrived and departed from there.

Unique Quality: The room was newly renovated, very clean, and size was more than OK (for NYC). Complimentary Internet access (wired and wireless), there is as well a small business room with PCs, fax and printer, and a very small fitness room (you can use as well a nearby gym, but I decided I did more than enough exercise wandering around!). Very comfortable bed, and a whirlpool bath that had a good use after a whole day walking the city!

The views were awful, but... who goes to NYC to stay at a hotel room? Ask for a high floor or a room facing the backstreet, or it can be quite noisy.

The complimentary breakfast was quite good as well (especially the hot cinnamon rolls) but not many choices.

More about Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden

No Complaints!

by TripAdvisor Member thelondoncabcompany

Went to NYC for 4 nights at the end of January and booked the hotel after reading TRIPADVISOR reviews. Had my own personal critirea and the Holiday Inn Express Chelsea fitted them all.

On arrival, I was expected, checked-in in seconds was probably in my room less than 5 minutes after walking through the front door.

Asked for a 'quiet' Executive Room and was put up on floor 12. Had the window open all night and the street/traffic noise was not bad at all. Shame about some of my neighbours on the floor!

The room was very nice but not over large, with big firm bed, plenty of lights, two phones, desk, clock/radio, TV & the heating/AC unit that was fine and quiet.

No safe which was a pain in the rear as I had to keep going down to reception. It's a modern, fairly new hotel and should have had a safe in all rooms. If I has any complaints, that would be my only one.

Storage in the room was qute limited but I was on my own so it didn't really matter.

The bathroom was bright, clean and large with plenty of towels, flannels, comp shampoo etc. Shower was powerful (once the receptionist drew me a map on how to get it working!!) and hot and you didn't land up with the usual floods of water on the bathroom floor. Also had a whirlpool bath.

Now here is the wierd thing - bathroom and bedroom were seperated by a sliding opaque glass wall. You could either slide the wall open and step into the bath/shower - or walk in through the door as normal. Really wierd!

Got the room at a what I considered to be an excellent rate and breakfast was an unexpected extra, didn't realise it was included. The other suprise was that it was the breakfast quality was excellent with wide range of cooked items, breads, cereals, pasteries, fruits, etc. Coffee was on tap 24/7, always hot and nice coffee too. That saved me a few bucks!

In the basement was a fitness room. Although there were only three machines I never had to wait to use them.

Next to the fitness room was a Business Centre with 3 computers, printers and a photocopier - all free of charge. I think the whole hotel was wireless broadband and free.

Location was fantastic for me being 4 minute walk to Herald Sq and Madison Square Garden.

No complaints - would gladly stay there again.

Only reservation was if there were two of us and we would be staying more a week or so the room might start to get a little cramped.

PS, come out the hotel and turn left, at the lights turn right and go up one block. Cross over the road and you will come a cheesecake shop. Do yourself a favour - GO THERE!

Don't tell anyone !!!

by TripAdvisor Member D0minic

Have just returned from 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Express. Was really impressed with the friendly staff and the room which was fine for the time you spend there. A clean comfy bed with a fantastic shower facility (once I too had to ask how it worked!) so close to the subway is a real treat especially for the price.
The complimentary breakfast was a real surprise and got me through till mid-afternoon without fail. The free internet too is a nice touch. These things cost so little to provide but show a willingness to provide a bit more than many larger and more established hotels. No restaurant/bars etc but there are plenty to choose from in the location.
No complaints at all except that as more people get to hear about this gem of a hotel the price will inevitably go up ! Hopefully, I will return soon.

Very pleased overall

by TripAdvisor Member Senior60+

Sticker shock for New York hotels in December was terrible. Finally hit this hotel through Priceline. Price was still high but better than other choices.

The hotel is either new or redecorated. Room was small but clean with new furnishings. Staff was helpful and friendly.

It's not as close to my favorite haunts as other hotels but still fairly convenient. Buildings along the street were under renovation and it was a bit scary walking under scaffolding at night at first but there were enough pedestrians to make me feel safe.

There seemed to be lots of families and tour groups staying here, another sign of good value.

Free breakfast was adequate but nothing to write home about.

I would stay here again, especially when everything else is pricey.

Fantastic Deal!

by TripAdvisor Member MUB5

When two friends of mine and I decided late last week to go to NYC together, I counted on getting a decent deal through priceline.com, hoping that low rates on other sites for this time of the year meant a promising search on priceline. We got a very reasonnably priced room at the Holiday Inn Express in Chelsea--and have not been disappointed. The hotel is in a superb location, two minutes away from the 1-line that connects you with everything and in the middle of one of NYC's hot areas (fashion district, clubs, Empire State Buildng, Chrysler Building etc.). The hotel is quite new and thus in great condition; our room was small, but since you don't come to NYC to stay in your hotel, we didn't mind at all. We lucked out and got a corner room on the top floor, without a view, but also without neighbors, and it was thus very quiet except for the central heating system that hummed us into sleep. I read somewhere that the bathroom is always a good indicator of how much a hotel wants to save--but the solidly tiled, granite (?) counter tops, metal/ porcellain bathtubs, the funky collection of mouthwash and shampoo etc. and the great towels made a very pleasant statement. The staff was incredibly friendly, there is free internet access in the basement--and the complimentary breakfast is as good as in a European hotel. In my 13+ years of staying in American hotels, I have never seen such a generous buffet, all included--even the coffee is great! I will definitely try to stay there again, even if I have to pay more for it than the great steal we landed through priceline.com. A total find!

Great deal!

by TripAdvisor Member cerichards21

Four days before a weekend trip to New York, our hotel plans fell through. After bidding for a room on priceline & praying that we wouldn't get a dump for the cheap price we paid, I have to say that we were more than pleasenly surprised with this hotel. It was new, clean, & the staff was very helpful with anything that we needed. It being New York, we were expecting a very poor experience for the price that we paid. It was, instead, one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to be in New York and needs to stay on a budget. It is close to Penn Station and a quick hop to anywhere that you would like to go in the city. The complimentary breakfast was also more than we bargined for...you can plan on eating at the hotel instead of having to eat breakfast out. Although I do recommend that you get to the buffett early; it gets crowded the later it is in the morning. The room was small, but in New York, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Great Hotel~

by TripAdvisor Member YLK

I visited New York during the Christmas week...
The hotel is located nearby main attractions(approx 10min walking distance to Macy's, subway station).
Their continental breakfast is great, the quality of bathroom amenities are well above the average, the staffs are very friendly.
They allowed us to check in 1.5hr early without any extra charge.
The rooms is quite small but has all the necessary items. The bathroom is in great condition.
I really recommend this hotel,,,Great value and great price^-^!!

Excellent Location and very Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Belfasttravellers

We stayed at this Hotel over New year 2006/2007 for five days. having never been to the US before, we were not sure what to expect in terms of hotel standards, however, we were pleasantly suprised.

The hotel room was quite large and very comfortable. The room had a very large double bed, a wardrobe, wide screen television (with cable channels) and a dressing table. The hotel room's bathroom was very well finished in marble from top to bottom, with an excellent bath/shower (the brand of which you can actually purchase from the hotel!). The room was also airconditioned.

The hotel room was very modern, finished to a high standard, with new furniture. It was extremely clean and tidy.

The hotel has a breakfast area and serves a buffet style breakfast in the mornings (which mainly consisted of processed 'fast food', but the cinnamon danish buns were delicious!).

We found the hotel to be excellent value for money and the location was superb, close to Macys, the Empire State Building and transport links.

We stayed at a busy time of the year and found the breakfast room to be of an inadequate size to cope with the volume of guests staying at this time. It was also difficult to get to our floor, as we sometimes had to wait a while on the lift.

The hotel advertises gym facilities, however this is misleading. Its a room with only two treadmills and an exercise bike!

We sent a number of items to be laundered in the hotel, and they all came back shrunk, so be aware of this!

All this said we really enjoyed the hotel and would definitely recommend it to other travellers.

Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member JimJam_LippyCow

We were most impressed. This hotel is easy walking distance to Times Square / Broadway / Madison Sq Gdns etc; and only a block away from the nearest underground station. While the room was exceptionally TINY one must remember that you only sleep there (you dont spend many waking hours in it!). We were even pleasantly surprised that the price included breakfast (eggs, bacon, hash, pancakes etc - we thought we'd get a bowl of cereal at best). Filter coffee; hot chocolate; and fruit juice is available free of charge, 24/7 in the lobby. Everything was clean and in good condition. We'd come again!

Loved this little gem

by TripAdvisor Member michelelasker

We found this place by accident and it was terrific. It is in a great location, the rooms are lovely, the staff are helpful, there is a decent free breakfast and a business center with three computers.

Would highly recommend it! We found a great rate of $140-150 per night.

Date of stay: Feb. 1, 2007