Hostel 104

2027 1st Avenue, New York City, New York, 10029, United States

Satisfaction Average

• Hostel 104

I stayed at the 104 hostel on 1st ave near harlem. it was a great xp staying in a good hostel that gave us all free breakfast in the morning.

I had two sucky stays at chelsea int hostel & Highbridge House but this was the best hostel i had stayed at

I was in a 4 dorm with my own bathroom & i was together with a family from toronto. the day i left i gave them some vouchers i didnt get to use

Unique Quality: Dont let the fact that its near Harlems scare you. I saw no trouble at all. A local told me it was dangrous to be carrying my netbook around but i had to use it as a map.

The bus to the airport stops across the road. Ask for a transfer ticket & get on the bus on 125 st

Directions: up first ave near harlem

More about New York City

Apple store entranceApple store entrance

with my friendwith my friend

at fdr expresswayat fdr expressway

photo at Skyscraper museumphoto at Skyscraper museum

New York Trip

by snozzau

People,
We are planning a USA trip next year and was wondering how many days would I need in New York to see and do all there is to offer.
I would also like some advice on affordable hotels,what to see,where to stay,pretty much any advice would be welcome.
Cheers,
Scott

by lynnehamman

There are many excellent pasges on New York here on VT. Read a few for ideas.
Go to 'search' box (top right of page) enter NEW YORK and click GO.

I have made a page on New York (link is on my homepage- click on my name for homepage)
My page has accommodation etc ideas with reviews

by Donna_in_India

Hi - you can easily spend weeks in New York with all there is to do! I would recommend spending no less than 5 days here. That will give you enough time to see the major highlights, a few museums, and wander the various and wonderful New York neighborhoods.

The NY VTers are a great group with lots of tips for your time in NY so be sure to check them out. What kind of budget for your hotel and what time of year do you plan to come?

by Donna_in_India

Some of the most popular things to see: Times Square, Top of the Rock (during the day) & Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building (at night), Central Park, MOMA, Metropolitan Museum, Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, Broadway Show, Comedy Show, Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, South Street Seaport, St. Patrick's Cathedral/Fifth Avenue, Wall Street/Financial District, Grand Central Terminal, United Nations, Neighborhoods (Harlem, Hell's Kitchen, Tribecca, Greenwich Village, etc.).

by clareabee

we are from the UK and visited New york for 5 days last year - we didn't manage to see everything so we are coming back for our honeymoon october 2011.

As a tourist I found great variations in hotel prices depending on what time of year you want to come - we booked a trip with Expedia that included our flight and accomodation for 5 nights which worked out the best value.

Some of the must see things we did are as follows - but travel is such a personal thing:

Central park - we got a bike chap rather than the horses as they looked so tired - was really interesting the guy we had knew lots of interesting facts and would stop where we wanted for photos

You have to do 5th Avenue - shops are fab - when we went they were all done out for christmas....my fave shop was henry Bendl - not too big just right with lots of girlie things for me!

Empire state building
Top of the rock (I actually preferred it here the staff at Empire were incredibly rude!)
Broadway show - we went to see Phantom - excellent
circle line cruises - great way to see the city with unobstructed views from boat
ground zero - you have to pay your respects
Walk over the brooklyn bridge(we got the train to Clark street on the Brooklyn side) and walked over (next time we are going to explore more of brooklyn and lunch at the river cafe.

we walked around a lot and just too in the atmosphere it is my most favourite place in the world!

Hope that helps

Travel Tips for New York City

Rent an apartment from Craigslist & get CityPass

by davequ

I think you can increase the quality of your NYC experience, good deals can be had and you can save money by:

- renting an apartment vs a hotel room;
- buying a CityPass

NYC / Manhattan hotels are mostly small and really expensive. Large nice ones (e.g. Grand Hyatt) can be $300-500/night in Manhattan.

Craigslist has apartments in the best neighborhoods (Greenwich Village, East Village, etc) for much less.

That is what I did & it worked out great.

I rented an excellent apartment in an upscale Greenwich Village brownstone with my own private terrace and full amenities for $150-175 a night.

Most of the apartment listings use PayPal for deposit & payment making it totally painless. I will never stay in a hotel again in NYC unless I want to and have bucks to burn.
Tip: Just make sure you screen the owner (if they are legit, they will screen YOU carefully), and don't pay full amount in cash upfront.
Most good Craigslist NYC apartment deals use PayPal or some other method to prevent both of you from getting ripped off.CityPass is available for about $65 and gets you into 6 NYC tourist sites, harbor cruises etc. without waiting in line.
If you know you're going to hit any three of these (imo a "no-brainer")

- Empire State Building Observatory (especially this one)
- Guggenheim Museum
- The Museum of Modern Art
- American Museum of Natural History & Rose Center
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Cloisters
- Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises

then CityPass is definitely worth it.
If only one or two, imo pay as you go and skip the pass. Aside from all the great food, art, music, nightlife & streetscenes, strolling the neighborhoods and just sitting & relaxing quietly on the deck of a Greenwich Village apartment overlooking the garden with an old friend,
resting up for the next foray into the city.

Hitting Paris and NYC back-2-back in fall of 2005 was for me a really hedonistic & amusing comparison of cultures & style, and I would recommend it to anyone.

%f%c Don't try to see everything...you can't%f

by Ulla58214

My favorite thing about New York is just the pulse of the city. There is always something going on and if you get bored there you might as well be dead. But the thing I miss more than anything is the food. Anything and everything from all over just about anytime of the day or night Some of my fondest memories of New York are going down to the beach during the summers. We always went to the beach because summer in the city is dreadful. We usually went to Long Island but I actually liked going down to Coney and Brighton Beach the best. Some other things are tea at the plaza, springtime in New York (There is a crispness in the air, everything seems more vibrant coming out of winter and it doesn't hurt that my birthday is around that time)

Walk... So many people in the...

by LeDragon

Walk... So many people in the streets walking to their work, to go shopping, to go to show...
They walk a lot, so they can enjoy the great architecture of this city. And meet all those people who sell food or whatever along the street !
Herebye : view of downtown Manhattan, from the Brooklyn bridge. Was a rainy day, but some people were walking on the bridge !

Helicopter Flights

by Mikebb

Whilst on our Circle Line Ferry Cruise as we passed the Financial District in Lower Manhattan we saw helicopters continually landing and taking off from the heliport at the edge of the river. It was interesting to watch the skill of the pilot.

For those wishing to take a flight contact Liberty Helicopter Tours, on 1 800 542 9933 or web site www.libertyhelicopters.com Pier 6 East River or their other locations.

Greenwich village

by kenadams

Once the home of artists and free spirits, the Village is now one of the trendiest places in the city, populated in large part by students of NYU and young Wall Street brokers.
Although boundaries are always hard to set, and they seem to expand when real estate prices in a neighborhood grow, I think the common understanding is that the Village is the area north of Houston Street, south of 14th and west of Broadway.
The notorious TV show "Firends" was a tribute to Village life: keep in mind that Monica and Rachel were able to pay rent because their apartment was on rent control: otherwise, hardly would people with those jobs be able to afford the rent in such a beautiful flat in Greenwich Village!

Comments