225 East 17th Street, New York City, New York, 10003, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 47% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Cheap Option 2

Basic but nice hotel in a great location.

Shared bathrooms, but they are always clean and usually vacant.

• tantra11's Profile Photo

good budget hotel central manhattan

I want to recommend this central budget hotel in the core of the Big Apple! This is what you need as a sleeping place and base for a holiday in New York.
    I had a single room for about 70 dollars; one of the best bargains in Manhattan, as far as I experienced.
    Shared shower and wc in the corridor; no problems with queing.
    All is clean.
    Walking distance to all of Manhattan, as well as Brooklyn, China Town, Greenwich Village, Chelsea etc. (As you, I love walking in big cities ",). Enjoy the unique atmosphere of NY, walk the streets with a curious mind!
    Lots of breakfast places and other eating places/waterholes outside the door. Interesting, friendly environment.
    Professional service, perhaps a bit reserved, but no prob.
    Good value for money, ideally situated.

Unique Quality: Best characteristic:
    - Central, low budget, clean, good standard; a perfect base for experiences and adventures in one of the most interesting cities of the world.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

On 17th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

A two minutes walk to Third Avenue for the bus up town. Second Avenue where you get off going back, for a very short minute walk to the hotel.
    Subway is five minutes walk to Union Square and shops.

Unique Quality: Maddona stayed here and A Manhattan Murder Mystery was filmed here by Woody Allen.
    Its true I just watched the fi-lum.
    Scenes are indeed shot inside and out of the hotel I have just watched the fi-lum on DVD
    on the 10th May 2006. Its halfway into the fi-lum.

Its cheap clean and you share the bathroom with others on your floor.
    The room will be cleaned if you leave the card on your door handle for the Maid.
    There is a TV in your room. Its comfy and I had a good nights sleep over the 19 nights I lived there.

You get what you pay for I recommend Hotel 17.

Directions: On leaving the subway face north on Union Square look for Barnes and Nobel's book shop turn right and walk to 17th St E over 4th and 3rd Ave. Its five minutes pulling a suitcase on wheels.

More about Hotel 17

Decent Budget Hotel

I stayed at the Hotel 17 back in March 2004 and many changes were present, some rather good and some things I didn't like. I've been staying at this hotel since 1998 and came every year since 1998 on a 2-3 month basis just to visit the hotels staff and the area is great. For me though, I could easily pay 500.-700 dollars a night at the W-New York on the corner of Park and 17th but I use to like the staff, the old Manager was the nicest guy I ever met. his name was James and I also liked his assistant Manual a lot. Neither one of these fellows is working at Hotel 17 anymore and I was disappointed.
When I first came to Hotel 17 back in 1998 James was having the most interesting conversation about a new Artist he met, Manual was talking about a club he liked. These people mainly James were really cool, someone I would never meet in CT, or even at the W-New York Hotel. He knew NYC downtown inside and out, the best clubs, rest/bars, galleries, and NYC in general!
If Hotel 17 lost James to another Hotel then Hotel 17 lost a great employee, and where does he work?!?! If NYC lost James to another city or town then NYC lost a prominent East Village pop-culture figure!!
All in all Hotel now offers more services, its a little cleaner, a decent budget hotel was the staff is boodless and boring@!

good price

by TripAdvisor Member Madita

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel 17 for five days and it was a good deal for the price and the location. Our room was big, we had one queen size and one normal bed, the bathroom right across the hallway.
The staff was nice and we could lock or luggage in the last day free of charge. They had a problem with the toilets though, they were plumbed once in a while. It was fixed very quickly though. But it´s not so nice, if every single toilet in the house is not working. But that is my only complaint.

excellent

by TripAdvisor Member DJ

Hotel 17 is a basic place that fills the need for people looking for a clean room and place to sleep in NYC. The rooms were comfotable and bathrooms clean. The location is great and staff helpful. In fact, when Expedia made a mistake and booked us for Saturday instead of Friday, the staff called Expedia and managed to get us a room without any additional charges.

For the price, the hotel is excellent.

Great NY Experience

by TripAdvisor Member glyma1009

My first time in NYC I went w/my boyfriend and cousins. We had two rooms which were average size. The hotel was clean, bathrooms were very clean! Hallways smelled a little weird, (elevator). I liked this hotel because we got a great price, the location is Awesome, we were close to everything. And Hotel 17 had a very New York flavour. Very Cool Place.
If you are a picky person, Do Not Stay Here! This hotel is for the Adventourous Type. They have a great cafe nearby which serves delicous breakfast. We ate breakfast there the last day and the snow was falling. It was Beautiful!!! My first time seeing Snow...Loved NYC...Great Place to visit...so much to do...Oh one more thing this is a cool place to go w/friends...It's not too Romantic.. Overall Pretty Chill Hotel

Great for sudents/tourists

I went to New York in Dec of '03. Hotel 17 was a fabulous experience in that the room was tidy, the shared bathrooms (which I had reservations about) always super-clean and the rates great for a student budget. The location is only a couple of blocks away from Union Square, and the location of the hotel is much more residential than anything you'd find near Times Square. Personally, I just wanted a safe, reasonably priced place to sleep while in the city- I didn't hang around the hotel much. Front desk service was a little slow at times and there was a weird smell in the elevators, but overall, it was a great place for my budget. I plan on staying there again the next time I vist NY.

smileey's new New York Page

by smileey

Visited for a weekend so didn't get to see a lot. Would highly recommend a trip to Ellis Island, especially if any family emigrated to the USA. Very interesting. Stayed in a place called Hotel 17 in Gramercy which was very good value. Web site is http://www.hotel17.citysearch.com Check it out for lower prices no brekfast etc. but really clean and nice rooms.

17 or 31?

by Maline

Out of Hotel 17 and Hotel 31 in NYC (their name is their location i e on 17 th Street and on 31st Street) which one would you choose? They are comparable in price range.

Feedback needed quickly ...!!
//cheers Maline

by nyc10025

Maline, Hotel 31 is in a quiet residencial neighborhood and is closer to the subway. Hotel 17 is much closer to livlier neighbohoods in Union Square and Greenwich Village. If I were you I would choose Hotel 17 based only on location. Ken

by bliss7

I would pick the one on 31st Street, it's closer to midtown, which means closer to Times Square, which is a must see if you are a visitor to NYC.

by petitrenard

17th Street is mostly "Chelsea", up and coming, trendy, young, gay friendly, cool restaurants and accessible by the 1/9 subway line on 7th Ave or A/C/E line on 8th Ave.

31st St is mostly in the garment district, koreatown, near Empire State, Madison Square Garden, Macys, Herald Square and has more subway lines and is relatively more touristy/crowded.

RE: RE: 17 or 31?

by Maline

It'll be 31. In the end it was cheaper and that mattered :-) I guess 17 had a better neighbourhood for us ,but we'll have to talk the hike down there. Thanks for the suggestions!
// :-)
Maline

RE: RE: 17 or 31?

by nyc10025

These hotels are on the East Side not the West Side so they are neither in Chelsea or Garment District.

Comments