Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue

Hotel 373
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Liars and Crooks

Unique Quality: This hotel is run by a bunch of crooks! I will give future guest a heads up if you are unfortunate enough to have this happen to you. I had a room reserved there on August 4th. The guest before me trashed the room. They called and left me a message that they had moved me to another hotel and they were comping my room because of the inconvenience. The hotel that they put me in was a substandard room, not even close to what I had originally reserved. When I got home to California and got my credit card statement, Hotel 373 charged me for my original room at the original price. When I called to question this, the front desk clerk, said "too bad". When I talked to my credit card company, they said I needed something in writing from the Hotel stating that they were comping me that room, so good people if you are ever "comped" a room these days, get it in writing, honesty and integrity is a thing of the past! I will never stay with these crooks again!

More about Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue

Great stay, great experience

by TripAdvisor Member Christina1969

I traveled to New York from Germany and stayed 6 nights at the Hotel 373. I was traveling alone so I wanted to be sure that my stay was safe, which it was. The hotel is excellent! The staff very nice and helpful. The rooms were cleaner than clean. Everything was just perfect.
I definitely will stay there again in the near future and can highly recommend HOTEL 373

Christina, from Germany

Do not give them a cash deposit!

by TripAdvisor Member chocolat777

When we checked-in at the hotel, we were asked to pay a deposit of $50 per night. As this is a standard procedure, I happily paid the deposit thinking that I will get it ALL back when I check out. The hotel staff gave me two options, either I pay by credit card or cash. As I felt a little nervous using my credit card abroad, (you hear about so many frauds these days!) I chose to pay $250 (5nightsx$50) CASH.
However, when it came to the day of check out, the lady at the front desk said that she didn't have any cash to return to me. Not because I caused damage to the room, but simply because they were out of cash! Despite the fact that they promised to send a cheque out to me, it's been a week but still no sign of my money!
I advise all of you to pay your deposit by card if you want to stay in this hotel. It will be MUCH easier and you'll actually see your money at the end of your stay!

Great little hotel.......

by TripAdvisor Member audiGalway

Girlfriend and I stayed here for 6 nites. We are just home. We stayed on top floor room 809 to the front. Yes rooms are small no wardrobes but all we did was sleep in there. Beds were really comfy and most importantly rooms very clean. Macys few mins walk away empire state to left of hotel across the street. Starbucks on to hotel great deli next door on the right food really fresh. The hotel says its 37th street its not its actually on corner of e35th street our cabbie had alot of trouble finding it. But if you get to empire state look left its 2 streets away you can see the starbucks before hotel. Blink and you miss. No complaints will definitely go back.

Comfortable and Cozy Boutique Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member marmaz

A very comfortable and impeccably clean boutique hotel. Spent a week there in early March. Close to Times Square, Macy's and public transport. The beds are very comfortable as many other reviewers have noted. If small rooms are a concern, I would opt for the Contemporary Queen - not the Petite. It was great having a Starbucks attached to the hotel - quick way to grab a coffee and muffin in the morning. Highly recommend.

I should mention that room prices have already increased considerably since March - I would say by at least a hundred dollars (unless I just got lucky reserving through Expedia).

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member RDC1

This hotel is great - it's very small but you don't need much. We stayed in a Queen Room and was sufficient - I imagine the petit rooms may have been a bit too small.
The beds are fabulous, the bedding is brand new and consists of Egyptian Cotton sheets and pillow.
There is a flat screen tv, A/C unit - this would have been better mounted to a wall and high up but we used it to store things! There were 3 coat hangers and a small space for clothing.
The bathroom was great and quite large. They provided Aveda products which are great. Also a slovely and soft bathrobe!
I would def stay here again - the location is perfect - on 35th & 5th - right accross from the ESB and next door to Starbucks for your morning coffee - the other side of the hotel is Oxford Deli which does great breakfasts!
The staff are young, and friendly - they will assist you with whatever you need - and quickly.
Perfect for a short break, only rason i wouldn't recommend a longer break 7+ nights is because there is no-where to store your cases/clothes etc.

Accused me of stealing

by TripAdvisor Member Superdog22

I actually thought this place was okay -- tiny-but-clean, with a good, strong internet connection. I even thought it was fun that they're basically located IN a Starbucks. And I didn't mind the fact that there is no concierge service (or help) to speak of.

What I do mind is spending a bunch of time on the phone with the hotel and my credit card company trying to understand and reverse an erroneous $100 charge. At first, the hotel said it was an accident, but then they told my credit card company that I had stolen an iPod dock from the room. Do hotels even HAVE iPod docks in the rooms?

Now I'm in the process of writing letters and providing documentation to prove that I'm not a thief. Very frustrating! I'd rate my stay a 3, but the post-stay experience has been maddening.

A gem!

by TripAdvisor Member BigBazzza

We stayed at this hotel in April.

To echo previous comments, excellent location, (corner 5th/E 35th) very comfortable bed, linen & towels changed everyday, great shower, flat-screen multi-channel cable TV. No tea/coffee facilities, but Starbucks in reception, open from 5:30am until around 11PM. 24hr convenience store just across the street, diner next door.

Check-out time is 12:00PM, our flight wasn't until 8:30PM, they securely held our luggage as we went out for day and returned early evening to collect en route to the Airport.

Two minor drawbacks, we were on the top (9th) floor, although we heard no street noise the humming air conditioning fan in the bathroom, could still be heard with the door shut. Also, they only have a small double drawer, there is not enough space for a wardrobe, just a few coats pegs. A small clothes rail in the corner of the room would have been good, otherwise you are living out of your suitcase.

If you are arriving into Newark, would recommend the Express Bus to Port Authority, then 5 minute (traffic dependent), taxi ride to the hotel.

Although there are two subway lines within a few minutes walk, we did a lot of walking.

We would recommend visiting the Empire State Building (literally across the street) at night. We went up around 10:30PM on our first night, with a very small queue of people, amazing!. We walked up to the Rockefeller Centre around 10AM on Sunday and took in day time views of the city, where you can see ESB and Central Park…I think these views were even more breathtaking than the ESB.

Also, wanting to visit Liberty Island we made our way by the R subway line to Battery Park, what we thought was early, and were greeted by long queues from 10AM of around an hour and a half…the hour-long circle line tour or yellow water taxi would have been chosen with hindsight. Don't believe these actually make stops at Liberty or Ellis Island but are ideal if you just want pictures of the Statue and Lower Manhattan skyline. There would also have been the option of the free ferry to Staten Island.

This was our first trip to NYC and cannot wait to go again!!…

Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member clareyb999

After booking a last minute weekend with Expedia, we chose to stay at 373.

The location is perfect especially if you get a room with a view, which Daniel on front desk arranged for us there and then. We woke up to the Empire State Building looming down on us! Fabulous!
The room - small but perfectly formed for a break. Crisp fresh bedding, plenty of towels, comfy bed and marshmallow pillows. Take your ipod to dump into the ipod dock for your own music, takes most ipods including shuffle. Good quality "steam" iorn and board brought up promptly following our request. Lovely shower and amenities and loo roll holder in the perfect position (for all of those who stay in hotels often, you will understand. For those who don't it's not behind you!).
Whilst no hot drinks or food on the premises, starbucks (which is next door via an internal door) accepts you in your pj's from 0500 to 2300 most days (not sure about sundays) - great to have. There is also a very handy booklet recommending varied take out menus that will deliver to your hotel room.

Front desk arranged airport run in air con car at no extra cost to a cab.

Hotel is unassuming, very clean, modern and simple. You will not be dissapointed.

just a small point: air con at the top a little noisy, but didn't put us off in the slightest.

Absolutely a great deal, if you don't mind a tiny room

by TripAdvisor Member BostonMAUSA

I've stayed at many midtown hotels with weekend rates in the mid to high 200's...Hotel373 was a steal at $169. I chose one of the petite/
double bed rooms which was fine for a single traveler(larger rooms are avaiable)...but I think would be uncomfortable for two. The room is essentially a bed, a small chair with a swing out table for your laptop and TV console with two drawers. No closet, dresser, fridge or safe. It was perfect for my two day trip because all I needed was a place to sleep.

The hotel was modern, clean and convenient with a few nice bonuses like free wi-fi, HBO, nice bathroom - marble tile, good shower, Aveda products. There is quite a bit of street noise on 5th avenue 24/7 - but there is a full adjustable window air conditioner which drowned out the noise. Two small complaints - my room was by the elevator and it has a loud bell that rings each time the door opens (annoying) and there are no blackout curtains -- only blinds which let in quite a bit of morning light so it was difficult to sleep late.

For me, the pluses outweight the minuses and I will definitely be back. If you are looking for a bargain for a quick trip to NY and don't mind compromising on space, the 373 would be an excellent choice.

STILL DECIDING....

by V33

Hello again. Okay, I actually narrowed down my search for hotels. What can anybody tell about the Hotel 373 Fifth Avenue and the Hotel Grand Union? It would be really nice to get feedbacks about these two. I would like to know if its in a nice area or if its filthy or what not. Any other hotels recommended would be nice too. Thank youuuuu...

Re: STILL DECIDING....

by ctorres1979

Sorry haven't stayed at either of those so I can't say for sure., but the area is good. Busy., right by the empire state building and lots of shopping and subway lines., times square, etc

Comments