Hotel Alexander

306 W 94th St, New York City, New York, 10025, United States

Otel.com

Satisfaction Average

• dynamon72's Profile Photo

Good value in a great location

The Hotel Alexander is located on Upper West Side, close to Broadway, Central Park and the W96th Street Subway Station.

My single accommodation had a comfortable double bed and was quite large, pleasant and clean. It wasn't a problem using the bathroom down the corridor. If one place was occupied there was always a vacant one nearby. In general, the bathrooms were spotlessly clean, and there was adequate hot water all the time. It was just a problem schlepping toilet stuff back and forth.

The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. I was particulary happy when Morris, the Desk Manager came on duty. He was very kind, friendly and helpful.

There is American coffee available in the pleasant lounge all the time. As it is not my personal favorite drink, it would have been nice to have a few tea bags! Wish the hotel vending machine had more variety, like sandwiches.

There are also computers in the lounge for payment by time. I was told there was free wifi for portables- sometimes it worked sometimes not.

Unique Quality: I liked the atmosphere and felt at home during the four days I was there.

Directions: W94th and Broadway

More about Hotel Alexander

Just the facts: Very pleased with the Hotel Alexander

by TripAdvisor Member laNDN

A hotel that is quiet, clean and convenient.

Quiet street ($350 fine for honking), one block away from the W. 96th 1-2-3 subway stop. Riverside Park is 1/2 block away, Central Park is within walking distance. Nearby markets and restaurants on Broadway. A 24hr restaurant is at 90th and Broadway. Parking garage across the street from the hotel.

Staff was courteous and took the time to thoroughly explain charges, facilities and services available.

Our nicely kept room was a on the 1st floor, one double and a twin (firm, no sag). Relatively large room with a/c and radiator heat. Closet, bedside table and desk. Venetian blinds, no curtains or shades.

Bathroom was small (4.5' x 6') but clean and tidy. Soap and shampoo provided.

There is a lounge with couches, coffee, HDTV and internet access w/printer ($1.00 per 10 minutes).

The price was right for the weekend we chose and is even less at other times.

In short, the Hotel Alexander is economical, clean and efficient. The quiet Upper West Side neighborhood (for NYC) makes for a great place to recuperate in time for the next day's adventures.

Fantastic, couldn't fault it.

by TripAdvisor Member Vixabelle

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Alexander in early spring for two weeks. Since we are students we didn't have a massive budget and were looking for something nice, convenient but most importantly of all, relatively inexpensive.

We arrived at the hotel at about 11pm and the neighbourhood seemed pleasantly quiet. The reception staff were helpful and immidiately made us feel welcome, we were even asked if we had a room preference; we did not but the receptionist kindly suggested we take a room at the rear of the hotel where it is quieter.

As soon as we arrived at our room we were delighted, I'm not sure how large travellers who have written other reviews expected the rooms to be but we found it perfectly ample for somewhere which we just planned to sleep and store our luggage over the stay. It was fine. And, for the occassions when we did want to relax in our room it was perfectly comfortable and homely. We had a good sized, comfortable double bed; a small closet with a hanging rail as well as a small cupboard room which could have been used for storing cases. There was also a dressing table, chair, mirror, t.v. and telephone in the room. Space was certainly not an issue.

The room was clean and tidy when we arrived and the maids always seemed meticulous every time they cleaned the room. It's no problem either, as I read in one of the previous reviews, if you don't wish to have your room tidied - not to, all you have to do is leave the sign on the door handle or just say politely!

Our room was only 2 doors away from the bathroom and very convenient. It was always clean, with fresh tissue and soap on a daily basis and lovely and warm - especially for the time of year! It felt a lot like a 'home' bathroom as supposed to a hotel one. We didn't really have any trouble with queueing for the bathroom either, on the rare occassion that we did, it was no trouble to either wait or use one of the other 3 or 4 bathrooms located on the same floor.

As in other reviews, you will not be suprised to read that the location of this hotel is great also. 2 minutes walk from broadway and 96th st subway 1,2,3 express and local trains. Broadway is full of quirks and delights. We found ourselves constantly lured into local drug store Duane Reade buying candy on a nightly basis!! There is a great little diner on 100st and Broadway called Metro Diner - food is amazingly cheap and, obviously the portions and proportionately large.

This hotel really is fantastic value for money. Obviously it's not 5* but if you're travelling on a budget and looking for somewhere comfortable, welcoming and convenient to stay then the Hotel Alexander has it all.

Good Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member FLILF

I would say that I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. It was clean, in a nice, quiet residential neighbourhood in the Upper West Side, and close to the subway. It's a no frills hotel, so you can't compare it to the Hilton or hotels of that standard. If you are willing to pay more, than go ahead and book hotels in mid-town where the rates are much higher. If you just want a place to sleep for a night after touring the city, then this is a good choice.

I was expecting a tiny room, but it was fine for me (one person). I had ample room to fit my luggage and other personal items. There was a desk and two chair, a night table and TV. Towels are provided, as are soap and shampoo.

There was no fridge or mirror in the room which was not a big deal for me since I am low maintenance. I just brush my hair and go for a day of sight-seeing.

I knew ahead of time I booked that I would have to share the bathroom, so it was not a problem. My room was right beside the bathroom, so I knew when it was available. Once, the toilet overflowed, but you just walk down the hall and there's another one. The bathroom was always clean, so I did not find it a big problem at all.

The only downside for me is that there was no alarm clock in the room, so bring your own or use your watch like I did.

Overall, a good place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone who's traveling that is not high maintenance and does not mind the minor inconveniences as mentioned above and with other posters.

A room with no heater and no blanket in winter

by TripAdvisor Member Kitty71

I booked this hotel middle of Nov. It was cold when we got there, and heater of the room I was given was not working, and the bed had no blanket. The receptionist was so rude, and didn't change our room nor gave a blanket. (I demanded him to give us blankets, and he gave us only one thin blanket. I demanded again, and he finally gave us another thin blanket.) We were not able to stay in the room without sweater and jaket on, and ended up with finding other hotel. In the room of other hotel we moved in was of course, heater was working.

Oozes cheapness.

by TripAdvisor Member Extracoconut

In truth, this is a horrible place.

With the exception of the lounge area, the hotel oozes cheapness.

Cost for a twin room with (very-) shared bathrooms was £130 which, even considering this is NYC, seemed way too costly.

Problems...

Bed linen was incredibly thin and cheap.
Towels had seen better days and probably last appeared on Antiques Roadshow.
No facilities at all in the room, not even a mirror - given the number of rooms sharing just a few bathrooms this is outrageous in my opinion.
TV had about 20 channels with almost all of them suffering from a rolling picture. No remote control either.
(Now, i really do appreciate that one doesn't go to a hotel to watch the telly, but this is another example of the cheapness of this place).

They even said they charge a fee to store luggage after you check out, although we managed to avoid this!

Go to The Pod Hotel instead.

C.

Too good to be true!!!

by TripAdvisor Member anniemary

If you are going to New York, this is a must!! We stayed 4 nights here and had no problems whatsoever!! The staff were so helpful, they couldn't have been nicer. On our first day we were slightly disoreintated so they followed us out onto the street to ensure we were taking the right route. They printed out maps, timetables, looked up stores, told us where we could eat. If they had have owned a car they would have brought us shopping!!
Only 2 express stops from Times Square, subway 1,2,3, only 2 blocks away, total time to get there 20mins max.Beside the stop is a European cafe, open 24 hours,even does deliveries. (muffins/eggs/bagel/pizza/soup/panini...)

The room: SPOTLESS AND WARM.
We had a twin double bed room, clean warm beds, large size, t.v. mirror, dressing table and a closet. This room also had a walk-in "closet" there were no rails but we managed to put 3 full sized suitcases flat on the floor and there was still room.
The room was really warm. It was freezing outside our first couple of days.It even snowed. One day we left the window open by mistake, when we came back the room was very cold,so i checked our heating,IT HADN't EVEN BEEN TURNED ON!! So for the previous days we had been quiet happy not realising that we had not turned on our heating!!

Bathrooms:
There are two bathrooms on each floor, bath/shower , hand-basin and toilet in each. There was plently of hot water all day every day. Spotless apart from the odd forgotten bar of soap. Although they were "shared" the only time there was a queue was when our party was already in the bathroom, so if there was a private bathroom we still would have had the same queue.

One day we saw a lady checking in, she was SO RUDE, we were getting directions, she went off and came back, there was a noise in her room, it must have been the door closing,because thats all the time there was before she complained. The man at reception gave her another room, he was nice to her but she still complained.
MY POINT if you want the Hilton...PAY FOR THE HILTON
If not smile and the world smiles back at you.

Am already booking this place for next year

Great for the price!

by TripAdvisor Member LondonAmy27

Compared to other NY hotel prices, this one is low price and great value. Nothing fancy, but a comfortable place to sleep. We stayed in room 702 (very nice, looked fairly recently refurbished) and shared a bathroom with other rooms. The bathrooms were thoroughly cleaned regularly. It is located about a 5 minute walk from the 96th St subway stop (an express stop) and it takes approx 10 minutes on the subway to get to Times Square. All dealings with hotel staff were great (only one exception, the man whom we dealt with when checking out was very rude and swore at us when we had a query regarding the bill), but everyone else was very friendly and helpful. Would probably stay there again for the price.

My November visit to the USA

by dynamon72

"Manhattan at Thanksgiving"

As I boarded the El Al plane from Tel Aviv on my way to New York my mood was somber. A very beloved member of the family had just passed away and one of the reasons for my journey was to visit the brereaved family in Manhattan. There were other visits to make with friends and family during my 12 day stay in the US this time around. My journeys were to take me not only to Manhattan, but to Brooklyn and Bergenfield, New Jersey, as well as to Jacksonville Airport on the way to Gainesville, Florida. This farthest destination proved to be somewhat traumatic, as I will later relate.

On my arrival in Manhattan from JFK with the Super Shuttle,I booked in at the Hotel Alexander in W94th Street on the first leg of my trip, I was greeted at the desk by Morris, manager at the desk. His cheerful, friendly and helpful manner made my stay a really pleasant experience during my four days there. All the rest of the staff were helpful and kind, but he was outstanding.

The folowing day of my visit was Thanksgiving. The hotel was close to the location of the New York Macey Thanksgiving Parade. I took the M104 bus to get close to the route, joining the crowds of families with children and the young and old out enjoyng the mild and sunny weather. I was armed with my camera, enjoying the fun and recording the event. The weather was perfect for walking and I returned to the hotel by foot, marvelling at the beautiful old buildings in the area near the route of the parade.

The next day I decided to go to Central Park, easily reached from the hotel via 94th Street. I entered near the Rhino Playground for kids and traversed the Jaqueline Onassis Kennedy reservoir, enjoying the autumn scenery and the Manhattan skyline. I exited near the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the East side and found, to my joy, that due to "Black Friday" a day on which large discounts are given on pre-Christmas sales, the museum was participating by giving free entrance to all. So I joined the hundreds of people who were enjoying the day there. After viewing the interesting collections (Egyptian, American, art) I reached the cafetaria in the basement, where I had a good reasonably priced meal. It is so easy to find one's way in Manhattan and, using 42nd Street as my travel hub, I returned to the hotel for a well earned rest!

"Brooklyn and the New York Subway"

I have family in Brooklyn. Although I have paid many visits to New York, I had never used the New York Subway. This was to be my first ride, even though I have been travelling in and out of New York for the past twenty years! With some trepidation I descended the rather gloomy W96th St. Subway Station near my hotel. With help from the station staff and other passengers I extracted the $2.00 ticket for my journey to Brooklyn from the ticket machine. Wow, only $2.00 and free to use the whole subway! I couldn't believe it. After the London underground prices - what a bargain! After crossing the Manhattan Bridge with its NYC vistas I arrived in Brooklyn. I had a lovely day there with my family, enyoying a ride around town and lunch at a diner.

On my way back I popped into 3rd Avenue, plunged back down into the Subway, travelling back home via Grand Central & 42nd Street returning to 96th Street on the S Express. I made sure I was getting on the right trains before entering and got courteous help from the subway staff. All the journeys cost me only $6. I was told one can take out an all day ticket for $7.00, using the whole system. OK - next time!

Comments