Hotel Chandler

12 East 31st Street, (formerly "Le Marquis"), New York City, New York, 10016, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Great art deco hotel

Perfect location for a hotel in New York and reasonable prices too.

Located on E 31st Street in Midtown it's the prefect spot to take in all the sights. Right on the corner of the street you get a great view of the Empire State Building and is walking distance to The Rockafella Centre, Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building. The nearest subway station is only a couple of blocks away on 34th Street.

The hotel itself is great art deco building. The staff are really friendly and they serve free tea and coffee and a selction of fruit. Breakfast wasn't cheap though at around $18 but there are plenty of cafes on Park Ave to pick up a tasty bagel.

The room was really clean and spacious with a flat screen tv, ironing board, hairdryer and best of all an i-pod docking station! View from the back wasn't great, perhaps there are betters views from the front of the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again

More about Hotel Chandler

Great location but some faults

I upgraded to the superior room on expedia for $200 per night - the room was tiny - with the queen bed, desk, tv stand and wardrobe furniture there was no room to open our suitcase. The foldup case stand was in the wardrobe - thats the only place it could fit. The staff were courteous but couldnt help with an upgrade. The two lifts were terribly slow. We loved the bathroom/shower design and fixtures. The location was the main reasion we stayed there.

Luxurious but small, dark and bad location

Stayed in the hotel for 3 days last mid June. Rooms are clean but very small and dark. Aveda bath products are nice amenities. It's near the Empire State building but its midtown location is not ideal walking distance to Rockefeller and Times Square. Other amenities: DVD player with free rental of a few titles.

Reasons to return to this hotel: clean and luxurious; and has a rain shower.

Reasons not to return: bad location; small rooms

A good hotel but not a great hotel

I stayed in this hotel for a week and found it a good hotel but not a great hotel, it is pretty central with a 2 minute walk to Macy's and some good shopping. It is a small bit over priced. The brekfast is too expensive and the staff could have been more helpful. But the rooms are clean and the decor modern.

Definitely go for the room upgrade

We spent two nights here in July '04 for a friend's wedding. The location was great: a couple of blocks from Herald Square/Macy's (and most subway lines). It was easy to catch cabs uptown (Madison Ave) or downtown (5th Ave) from the corner.

We splurged for the Deluxe room, and we were well glad that we did. Our room was cozy, but the "Superior" (read: standard) rooms -- which we noted on the fire-escape map and by peeking in during housekeeping service -- were truly tiny.

Rooms are well-maintained and well-decorated in boutiquey blues and taupes. A small but functional armoire included drawers, a safe, and hanging space; the TV and DVD player were on top of a separate cabinet, with the minibar underneath; there was also a nice-sized desk with a chair, and an easy-chair/table combo on the window side of the room. We appreciated the free (but rather limited) video and CD library at the front desk, which saved us from paying on-demand movie prices when all we wanted to do was kill a little time on a muggy afternoon.

The bathroom was a real jewel, just like in the pictures! It was even nicer than the room itself, and easily the nicest NYC hotel bathroom I've ever seen. The decor featured white subway tile accented by blue mosaic tiles at chair-rail height, all around the room, and the same mosaic on the floor. Cream crown molding and bright silver fixtures rounded the period-appropriate look. Cute vintage-style toilet and pedastal sink; a glass shelf over the toilet and a very deep windowsill (easily 2 feet deep) made up for a lack of counter space. The water pressure in the rain-shower was unbeatable! A good assortment of Aveda amenities included shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash, sewing kit, shoeshine kit, and soaps.

Most rooms here look out over a fire-escape courtyard, which is less-unpleasant than it sounds. I would choose an interior room again -- I presume that the rooms facing the street are much noisier, and there's not much a view. (Athough the in-room info binder said that "some" rooms have Empire State Building views, I imagine they're limited to the corner suites, one per floor.)

We interacted just a few times with the nice, if not terribly outgoing, staff. Typical NYC-style lobby, with a small bar on the street side.

Overall, we felt it was a good value for the price: We paid $180 on Expedia, an upgrade from $159 for the standard room. I'd definitely stay here again.

Nice boutique hotel

Stayed here for three nights in 2003. I really liked this hotel and would reccommend it to people visiting NY who want a really good central location but no noise. The hotel is 1 block down from the Empire state building and is up a side street which while slightly dark and dodgy looking is actuall fine once you are there with very littlt noise or traffic. We walked to all tourist attractions from here except battery park and the Statute of Liberty ferry (take a cab from midtown).
I didn't have breakfast included in my internet booking rate which was one gripe.
The rooms are very small - perhaps one of the smallest I have stayed in (and ours was a deluxe!) but overall I would say this downside is blanced out elsewhere. The bathroom is FANTASTIC - a huge walkin shower which could proably fit about 10 people in it and fabulous blue and white mosaic tiles from floor to ceiling. Good air conditioning for the summer months. TV/DVD/internet port etc. Nice turndown service.
I would stay here again.

Small, fine rooms, bad gym

The rooms are very nicely appointed, but a bit small. Fine for NYC.

The only complaint I had was the fitness center -- the bikes were in such bad repair the pedals barely turned. I reported the problem to a guy at the front desk who seemed to just go through the motions of listening.

I would recommend it.

I spent three nights in the Hotel Le Marquis in late August of 2004. I had read the reviews on this site, so I was pretty sure that the hotel was a good one, and I was right. I was impressed from the moment I walked into the lobby. The doorman and desk clerk were professional, friendly, and welcoming. The lobby was clean, bright, and very tastefully decorated. I was checked in and up in my room in minutes.

The "Superior" room I had was on the second floor and had no view, but the nice part was I could just use the stairs (I hate waiting on elevators). It was very clean, well maintained, and the decor was splendid. The room was a bit small, but just fine for one or two people.

I particularly liked the bed, which was far and away the most comfortable I'd ever slept on in a hotel, and the bed linens were of good quality...soft and cool. The pillows were good, too, and there were plenty of them.

I would have liked to have had a bathtub in which to soak after a long day of walking around Manhattan, but the rainfall-type shower was refreshing, and the water pressure was good. The bathroom was kept spotlessly clean. The room was quiet and the air conditioner worked well. It was nice to have a big, soft robe to slip into, and the Aveda toiletries were a nice touch.

There was a small safe in the room, which was a comfort. There was no ironing board or iron when I got there, but they were brought to me minutes after I asked for them. I would've liked to have had a coffee maker in the room, but it wasn't a big deal, since there were several coffee shops within easy walking distance.

The TV lounge off of the lobby was a pleasant place to relax, and it was nice to have the computer there with Internet access. I also enjoyed being able to borrow complimentary DVDs to play in my room. I used the in-room, $10-per-day, Internet service one day, but it was so slow and unreliable that after that, I just used the computer in the lounge.

The hotel bar is intimate, comfortable, tastefully decorated, quiet, well stocked, well tended, and (for New York) reasonably priced. A very pleasant place to have a drink and chat with locals and fellow guests.

I was getting plenty of exercise walking around the city playing tourist, so I didn't feel the need to use the hotel's exercise facilities. Therefore, I have no comment on those. Nor did I avail myself of the hotel's $15 breakfast buffet, since there were plenty of other places within easy walking distance where I could get a more reasonably priced breakfast.

The hotel's location is great. It's in a nice part of town (Murray Hill), near lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and shopping of all kinds. It's an easy ten-minute walk from Penn Station, and around the corner from the Empire State Building. It's fairly close to Times Square and the theaters. It's also far enough off of 5th avenue to be reasonably quiet.

About the only complaint I had was that they didn't bring me clean drinking glasses when they cleaned the room every day. I'm sure if I'd bothered to call down and ask for them, they'd have brought them to me, but that's something I don't think I should have to ask for. Not a very big deal, though.

This is a very nice hotel, particularly for the money. There were a lot of extra touches that I would expect only from a more expensive place. I got a Superior room through Expedia.com for just over $150 per night.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I had a very pleasant stay and had very few complaints. It's particularly nice if you're coming into the city by train, since it's such a short walk from Penn Station. However, if you plan to spend a lot of your time in the museums (Guggenheim, Frick, MMA, Nat. Sci., etc.), you might want to stay farther uptown, unless you like to walk.

Terrible, deceptive hotel

Do not be fooled by this hotel. The name is made to confuse the travel into thinking that this is the same hotel, or at least equivalent in standard to the Marriott Marquis on Times Square.

This hotel could not even begin to compare to the real Marriott Marquis. It's in a terrible location, in the sense that the surrounding streets at quite "ghetto", and one would not feel safe walking to this hotel late at night.

The hotel itself is small and has the feel of a one star hotel in England. The room was so terrible and old-fashioned, that we literally opened the door, looked around, and marched right back to the front desk, where we checked out and moved to the Marriott Marquis, despite the $250 loss that we suffered.

The front desk staff all seemed to be young and inexperienced, and no offer at all was made to help with our luggage.

This is a truly rubbish hotel, and should only be considered if you're not fussy about where you stay, and you don't mind meager accomodations.

Le Marquis is remniscent of hotels in London, in the sense that it's over-priced and shoddy, in a poor location. Do not stay here if you expect any sort of class in your hotel.

Very nice hotel first, but then...

...cockroaches!

I missed to read the reviews before I booked for a five nights stay last week at Le Marquis. Four days everything seemed good, even very good:

The hotel Lobby looks great, the hotel and the room looked very clean. Check-In was quick. As New York was almost sold out that days, the prices were very good compared to other places. Ok, the room is really small, probably to small to be comfortable for two, but for me it was ok. Nice looking to, including the bathroom.

Breakfeast in the hotel was not my choice, but complementary coffee with complimentary New York Times and a pickup breakfeast from the near neighborhood was ok! There was also a WiFi coverage for free in my room, but certainly not a planned and reliable service.

So I really enjoyed the first four days of my stay there. The hotel is near Empire State Building, 10 minutes walk from Penn and Grand Central, 15-20 from Times Square.

Last evening the first cockroach appeared. Not a small one, but I won the battle! I found an additional one dead near the a/c - where they might come in the room from the very dirty outside backyard. I did not ask for a roomchange or even did not complain, as I was to tired to rise my bloodpressure. Next day I checked my personal belonings very carefully for blind passengers and left with no good feeling.

Without that beasts, I would have definetly recommended the hotel to everyone. Now its your choice.

Comments