Hotel Gansevoort

Booking.com Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Quite a scene in the Meatpacking District

The Gansevoort is one of the hipper hotels in New York and a phenomenal place to stay if you want easy access (as in, a 2 minute walk) to fantastic restaurants, bars and clubs. the rooms here are not worth what you pay for them, in my opinion, but that's not the point. You stay at the Gansevoort for the rooftop pool and bars, the people and celebrity watching potential, and the fact that you can stumble to any number of New York hotspots right out the front door... great restaurants like Pastis, Budakan, STK, Fig & Olive, as well as many great bars.

While I prefer other hotels in the City, the Gansevoort's location makes it a very good bet for anyone who wants to pretend their a celebrity and indulge in a full hipster New York experience.

Unique Quality: Rooftop pool and bar. Great locaton.

Directions: Meatpacking District

• Trendy Celebrity Watching

Being a native of the area, I have spent many many nights in the Gansevoort. I have to say as an 18 year old girl, I loved it. Its in the meatpacking district of New York City, which has some of the greatest and trendiest restaurants in Manhattan. Also, it is surrounded by amazing shopping from Alexander McQueen to Diane von Furstenberg. The hotel has a pool on the roof and a bar which is always busy throughout the entire day and night. The nightclubs connected to the hotel and in the area are not your every day bar that you see in the rest of Manhattan. They are mostly dance clubs with some areas for lounging. I'd recommend this hotel to a younger crowd more interested in partying and dining then seeing the sights. While I was there, we saw Bono from U2 and Kevin Costner who stayed there, as well.

Unique Quality: ROOFTOP POOL and bar, world-famous spa, amazing clubs and restaurants connected to the hotel

Directions: Meatpacking District, Gansevoort St

More about Hotel Gansevoort

The Gansevoort is the best

I have stayed there numerous times. The hotel is the hot-est in New York. The hotel facilities and staff are outrageous. The pool on the roof is awesome. The bars are unbelievable. The new restaurant Ono is the new NOBU.
It's in the meatpacking district and it is the one place you really need to stay.

Rooftop Hotspot

by danasuzanne about Plunge @ Hotel Gansevoort

This place is hot! I was there on a Monday night & it had a great crowd. Very trendy/upscale. Huge space, lots of seating. Fabulous views of the city. Trendy, Dress Well

Fun in New York

by TripAdvisor Member onehotpup

Stayed at the Gansevoort recently. Smooth and welcoming check in. Although this is a relatively new hotel, the staff have been well trained mostly at the Bryant Park Hotel, and it shows. I used the Concierge, Joyce, who had an encyclopedic knowledge of New York and was a pleasure to deal with. The only reservation that I may have is that it lacks an interesting bar for anyone over the age of 30 as the top floor bar is mostly full of young ones cruising on the weekend. The rooms, not large for NY standards, are well appointed with flat screen TV and great views over the city (ask for a Hudson view room). The beds are spacious and equal to the best. The bathrooms again are a decent size and very clean with a great shower.

Don't forget that this hotel is well positioned for some of the best of NY's nightlife too and one of the only ones with a rooftop pool!

One of the best...

by TripAdvisor Member ErwinFromBelgium

Hi,
Stayed here for my visit to Christo's "The Gates" at Central Park. Heard a lot of good things about the Gansevoort, and had dinner in ONO before. For this once, let me start by sharing the "negative" points as to high-light that everything else is positive...
When entering our "grand deluxe" non-smoking room, clearly recently someone had been smoking in the room. The bell man was very cooperative etc, and in the end front desk excused as they couldn't switch us to another room due to fully-booked, but promised a special air cleaning machine. That machine never did arrive, and I don't like it when you don't deliver what you promise.
Next: when you go for breakfast, the heating system on the mezzanine level is so insane (HOT HOT HOT); both my girlfriend and I ended up every morning with severe headache due to the exposure to really abnormal temperatures... Breakfast was included; staff was not to friendly and especially not trained. Breakfast itself was pretty OK; though some basic toast was not possible as not included in continental breakfast. Advise: if breakfast is not complimentary, take it outside the hotel.
NOW, it's clear that everything else was OK-OK-OK. Amazing was the friendliness of the staff; really atypical for New York. The room was spacious and very clean; the bathroom was lovely, with ongoing supply of bodymilk, shampoo, etc etc. The hotel attracts some really *cool* people, and not ot forget: ONO, the restaurant, is TOP! You really have to check it out.
To conclude: I stayed at a lot of hotels in NYC in the past, and the Gansevoort ends up in my top-3. Excellent value for money.

We'll go back!

by TripAdvisor Member singsgood

Our son lives in NY (with no room for us) and we just got back from a visit, staying two nights at the Gansevoort. It was great! We booked it through Quikbook.com and got a slightly cheaper rate for a Superior (read basic) room plus breakfast. Upon arrival, we asked if there were any rooms available for a free upgrade, and by waiting for a few extra hours (no problem, plenty to do around there and lobby is very comfy), we got a Deluxe room instead...still got the breakfasts and now a nice sitting area, kingsized bed, cityscape view and larger room. Staff were great, not snotty at all, couldn't help enough. First night our in-room movies weren't working, something to do with computer downstairs, and they did not give up till it was put right! (We weren't that bothered.) I am not a "contemporary" style decorator but the decor was sleek, modern and comfortable. It was even somewhat warm , especially in the lobby, possibly because of the use of flowers and soft fabrics, red leather, etc. Very comfy bed, great shower, lighting, and CLEAN (my biggest "thing"). Of course it was on the upside costwise, but when you have paid a bit for a room, it is nice to leave not feeling ripped off..instead we felt we had got what we had paid for. Hey, it's Manhattan, and one of the nicest parts of Manhattan at that!

I'd stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member janeeyre

This is a brand spankin' new hotel in the trendy Meatpacking District. While the building is a bit of an eyesore for the historic neighborhood (the facade is illuminated by hot pink flood lights), the rooms are spacious, very clean and have great views in all directions. And it's downtown!

The Good Stuff:

* Wonderful (and free) continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant mezzanine. Fresh berries in the dead of winter, yogurt, granola, tea.
I never eat free hotel breakfasts but this one I attended everyday.
* Great Japanese restaurant in the hotel for dinner and a cool rooftop bar.
* Pool! I didn't get to use it January but nice for the summer months. And a soon to open spa.
* Free internet access in the lobby.
* Nice, helpful staff, no attitude.
* Great neighborhood with lots of shopping and restaurants (both trendy and neighborhoody).
* Quiet - not a lot of street noise to keep you awake.
* Soft sheets, lots of hot water, full length mirror, flat screen tv and a big closet.
* Easy to catch a cab (and easy to get dropped off in one, unlike the Soho and Tribeca Grands), subway is also pretty close.

Minor kinks that hopefully the management will work out:

* Housekeeping hours were erratic. (10:30 pm turn down service and 8 am cleaning were not especially convenient)
* Lobby was freezing (granted it was 5 degrees out when I was there but most hotels have a double set of doors to keep the cold air outside where it belongs)
* Bottles of water left on the nightstand which appeared to be complimentary (as they are at the Soho and the Peninsula) actually cost $9 each. Not a nice surprise when checking out. They should indicate that these are part of the minibar.

When I return to NYC, I will be staying here, it's a fantastic hotel. Not perfect, but I believe they will get there.

Haven in Meatpacking District

by TripAdvisor Member MaryStarbucks

Just got home from 4 nights at the hotel in a Grand Deluxe room. Loved it. Lovely room, sitting area with huge bay window, great lighting, very peaceful. The bed was without question the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever experienced. The bathroom was great, plenty of counter/drawer space, great water pressure. Great service/staff overall.

Cons - lack of drawer space (more than we needed in the bathroom, less than we needed outside of the bathroom). Heat controls did not work and weren't fixed properly during our stay.

Hotel with best skyline views

by annee5

Hi all,

I am taking my friends 20 year old daughter to New york for 4 days shopping in mid july, i was thinking of staying at the Mandarin Oriental for the views but was wondering if anyone could recommend any other hotels which have very high floors and great views ?

Many thanks

by 10028

Any of the hotels with Central Park views: Trump International, Pierre, Sherry-Netherland, Plaza, Ritz-Carlton Central Park, Jumeriah Essex House.... (can't remember the others).

You do pay dearly for the views. Me, I'd save the hundreds of dollars a day and take a trip to the Top of the Rock for the view.

by nomadNY

For a 20 year old...i would recommend Hotel Gansevoort http://www.hotelgansevoort.com/. request a room with a view and then head to the rooftop bar for a drink and 360 degree views!

I just toured rooms here last month and it is very chic. It is a boutique hotel -so you pay for the character. In a great neighborhood for restaurants and shopping too.

by KashaC4u

If I was 20, I would not like to stay in Columbus Circle OR Upper West Side.
The neighborhood is a little blah for a young person.

Stay downtown.

The Hotel on Rivington in the lower east side has phenomenal rooms and views. Google it. It is a boutique hotel. The neighborhood is hip and young with more of an edge. More charactor. It is also close to Soho and East Village, surrounded by cool clothing boutiques and hip people and restuarants.

Comments