365 Park Ave. South at 26th Street, New York City

Booking.com Tingo.com EasyToBook.com

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Feel like a star

We stayed for one night during the week to celebrate our anniversary. It was a lovely place to pretend we were filthy rich. A comfortable lobby, cozy robes in the rooms, a balcony, room to walk around (very unusual!), and a friendly staff welcomed us. The one draw-back was that we forgot to turn off the air-conditioning (or at least turn it down), and we woke up cranky and cold at about 4 am. More out fault than anything else. The rooms are quiet, thanks to very insulated windows. A great stay. Not a great breakfast, but plenty to choose from. The fruit was a little old looking, as though it had been cut the night before.

Unique Quality: There is a nightly cocktail hour with piano and cheese and wine. Very pleasant. There is also a bar on the 12th floor, but it was disappointing. I'd skip that and just enjoy a cocktail at another establishment before returning to your comfy room.

Directions: It's just a block from the 6 train, and there are tons of cabs on Park Avenue.

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Elegant Boutique Art Deco Hotel, Reasonable Price

The Hotel Giraffe is a wonderful, luxury find in New York for a reasonable price some weekends, but not all, especially if you book it on www.quikbook.com, which for some reason was $20 less per room than any of the other sites I tried.

The nouveau art deco style is sleek and soothing. The rooms are spacious, with high ceilings, two work/desk areas, and an elegant marble bath. The superior room which we booked had french doors which opened to a small but lovely balcony complete with large pot of geraniums.

The terrace on the top floor is charming and filled with flowers, though the chairs aren’t comfy enough to spend the afternoon, say, reading a book. But hey, you’re in New York! Why are you spending your time reading anyway?

This is the kind of hotel where it is totally unnecessary to even talk about cleanliness. Everything was spotless.

The staff is wonderful and very helpful. Checking in was faster than I've ever experienced at any hotel. When we had trouble with our computer, they let us use their office computer. When we asked for copies of menus from the restaurants we had visited, they made them immediately at no charge. When we decided at the last minute to go to a see a "sold-out" Broadway musical, they got us tickets effortlessly at what I thought was a reasonable price for less than 3 hours before showtime.

The automated espresso/caffe latte/cappuccino machine in the lobby makes the best coffee I’ve had since I was last in Italy. It’s free and available all day, as are cookies, fruit and bottles of water. Good continental breakfast is included in the room price, which makes this an even better deal.

I’d stay there again in a heartbeat at these prices ($220 for a double).

Unique Quality: Incredibly helpful staff; free fresh-made espresso and other coffee drinks all day.

Directions: The Hotel is located on the Northeast corner of Park Ave. and 26th; the hotel entrance is on 26th.

More about Hotel Giraffe

Flawless Choice

After exhaustive research into a hotel choice for a one week stay during Thanksgiving week, I decided upon Hotel Giraffe, largely due to the consistently high marks they received through this website. It's almost impossible to find a hotel that doesn't have a mix of positive and negative reviews, yet the Giraffe's were resoundingly positive, and right on the mark, I might add. In summary:

Great complimentary happy hour, and breakfast.
Extremely attentive, polite, and helpful staff.
Reasonably central location. Perfect if you want to use the #6 subway line. Clean, quiet, and decent sized rooms.

If you want all of the amenities that come with a Luxury Hotel, stay at a luxury hotel. I can see very little reason for anyone to be dissatisfied with their experience at the Hotel Giraffe. I'm actually surprised it is still such a well kept secret.

Stay at the Hotel Giraffe, and eat nearby at Craft. You will sleep great knowing you did both.

Better than I expected

We recently stayed at the Hotel Giraffe in New
York for 4 nights. I was travelling with my husband & teenage daughter. The room was very spacious & very clean. The hotel staff was very friendly & we were very happy with all of the hotel amenities.
The hotel is located about a 10 min walk from the Time's Square area, I much preferred the location of the hotel as it is not a real tourist area. One of the staff members commented that not many Australians visit their hotel & I suppose it's because it is not advertised in our travel magazines.
The cost was fairly expensive but really worth it. I can't wait till we return to New York as I loved it & I loved the Hotel Giraffe. Higly recommend it to anyone.

Perfect in every way!

by TripAdvisor Member LD54

I have stayed at many hotels in New York City and none come close to Hotel Giraffe. The staff that they have working for them are nothing short of extraordinary. In addition, the hotel has everything one could need and a lot more: comfortable beds, sparkling clean rooms, great breakfasts, central location, bottled water available all day, wine in the evening and.....I could go on and on. I can't recommend this place enough as an adult and my two teenage daughters loved it too.

Giraffe is a NY Mainstay

You really can't go wrong with the Giraffe. I've stayed there many times and it has always been clean and stylish, with exceptional service.

Check out the wine and cheese scene at 5 and the euro-continental breakfast.

A good rate is $299 if you can find that online.

Good places to eat include Grammercy Tavern on 20th and Broadway and Afro De Cuba.

First visit to NY

by TripAdvisor Member mimramtrout

First visit to NY(Aug '04),relied on the internet for some suggestions.Chose the Giraffe on that basis .Initially a bit dissappointed by dark corridors and dark rooms but soon acclimatised and began to appreciate what a nice hotel this really is.Rooms clean and well laid out.Had small suite with our 9 and 12yr olds sleeping on the couch bed..worked well.Maid service and staff were very good. Breakfast and drinks/cheese in the evening were a real delight.Location between midtown and uptown was perfect. Mexican restaurant next door was superb.We would be very tempted to stay here again on a return trip to NY.PS don't miss the saturday morning market in Union Square just down the road.

LOVED this hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member endlessummer

I chose this hotel after exhaustive research on the internet. My boyfriend and I actually visited for Xmas 2003 and I felt bad about not leaving a review for this fantastic place. Neither of us had ever stayed in New York (I have always stayed with friends who have since left so I was quite nervous about choosing a hotel) and this was his first visit ever to the city. We absolutely loved The Giraffe. Our room was a deluxe double. Bed was large, marble bathroom spacious and stocked full of goodies (I'm very picky about my bathroooms). The room was very clean, in soothing shades of burgundy and greys. The location is amazing - we walked everywhere - and we really enjoyed wandering around Gramercy. BUT what we really loved, as others have pointed out, was the breakfast and evening drinks. The "continental" style breakfast was nothing like the paltry version you get in a lot of European hotels. This was full-on U.S.A. style with the best bagels!!! I have to confess, I put on a bit of weight in the 5 days we were there. Every night - hey, we were on holiday! - we enjoyed the nibbles and free wine/prosecco. Then, we set off again into the great city of New York. It was sooo hard to leave The Giraffe. We will always go back there whenever we find ourselves in our new favourite city. Do not hesitate to book a room here - you won't be disappointed.

p.s. and for those of you worried about noise, I slept very soundly every night - and I ALWAYS travel with earplugs. Our room was not facing Park Avenue however so if noise is a problem, I can definitely recommend booking one of these rooms.

Terrific boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mikhal1719

This is a jewel of a hotel, with a wonderful, helpful staff and a convenient location. The rooms are modern and spacious by NYC standards with thoughtful amenities throughout. Plus the hotel provides a generous continental breakfast in its comfortable lobby, followed by beverages throughout the day, and ending with wine and champagne together with cheese and crackers in the evening, accompanied by live piano music. On the top floor there is a small private garden retreat, perfect for a warm autumn evening. A great find!

relaxing hotel

This is a beautiful and relaxing hotel. We arrived late on a Wednesday, and walked next door for dinner. After dinner, we strolled through the neighborhood before heading back to the room. Next day, a conference kept me busy all day, but the evening was very pleasant with complimentary vine and cheese, in nice but always empty lobby. The room was spacious; the bathroom was nice sized, while not overly huge. The linens were clean, and the carpets and furniture were exceptionally cared for. I would definitely stay here again, even without having a meeting or a conference.

THE GiraffeTHE Giraffe

GiraffeGiraffe

GIRAFFE BEING CUTEGIRAFFE BEING CUTE

three headed giraffethree headed giraffe

Lab material and Scientific Toys

by Alicebeta

Can anyone tell me where can I find lab materials or scientific toys?
Thanks a lot,
Roberta

by Randall_Burt

Hi Roberta.
I think this should work,Randall.

by Alicebeta

Thank you a lot, but I do not need a virtual store because I dont have an address for delivery in NYC( I wiil be in very big hostel). Do you know any place to look for and buy this kind of toys/materials in NYC?
Thanks, Roberta

by grandmaR

I did a google search - I would have said without looking that what you want is Edmunds Scientific but that's in upstate NY

Edmunds Scientific

KAYBEE TOY & HOBBY SHOP
901 AVE OF THE AMERICAS,C4,LC1
NEW YORK, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 629-5386

Museum of the City of NY in their shop - indeed almost any museum will have some educational/scientific toys in the shop. You might try the Brooklyn Children's Museum for instance.

Laughing Giraffe

New York, NY 10010
Tel: (212) 590-2440 Fax: (212) 590-2595
interactive toys

by Alicebeta

Thank you everyone ! The tips were very helpefull. I am goig to look for in museums shops too.
I visited the site of Hall of Science, but they do not have a virtual shop. I will be there and probabily I will find the toys.
Thanks a lot ,