34 East 32nd Street, New York City, New York, 10016, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Rated 18% higher but also costs 23% more than other 2 star hotels

• Cheap yet lovely place to stay

fantastic
    such friendly staff, the value and standard of the hotel for the cheap accomadation so close to all the famous places was unbelievable. If i ever come back to NYC ill be staying here again for sure.

Nice area too, didnt feel scared going out late at night, plenty of NYPD around 24/7

Unique Quality: internet access, close to Macys and times Square and ESB

Directions: 5 mins walk from Empire State, Macys and Madison Sq Gardens

• solopes's Profile Photo

Good quality/price ratio

A comfortable bed in a quiet room, with a working bathroom in a convenient location was all that we needed in New York. Though looking old, this hotel fitted perfectly in my needs.

I stayed there twice, both rooms were small, but big enough to let us open bags and move around, and everything worked well. Two blocks away from the Empire State Building, the night was silent, providing a good sleep. And we payed only $99 plus taxes (Impossible nowadays, I think).

Unique Quality: Location

• MissThing606's Profile Photo

Great Value

Proximity
    The closest things to the Hotel are the Empire State Building on fifth avenue, the 34th street shopping area and Grand Central Station on 42nd street. The nearest subway station is 32nd street but Grand central station is ten blocks away. Penn Station is about two or three blocks west of the hotel.

Room size, bed, condition

The room was sizeable, especially as I’d read reviews about the tiny rooms in NYC.

First impressions were good: a Queen bed with a wooden head-board. A chair and table, a chest of drawers and an armoire that housed a 28” television. All of this was in Dark wood. The décor was old fashioned.

One good thing about a hotel of this price is the fact that it has a private bathroom. And not just any old bathroom but a marble one! Marble floors, marble rooms. All in white and immaculate with towels and soap.

The even better feature is the fridge – yes a fridge in a 2* hotel! small table-top jobbie to make your budget trip even more frugal.

The room also came with air-condition but the regulation range is quite small- basically you get ‘cool’ or ‘a little bit cooler’. Or ‘warm’ or ‘a bit warmer’. The 28” television came with 30 channels.

the first night I couldn’t sleep because of all the traffic outside my room.. However, next morning the reception staff gladly let me change room; In fact he gave me three keys to rooms that were away from the street and let me take my pick.

There was internet access in the small lounge next to the lobby,

There is no restaurant but there is a coffee shop linked to the hotel – I never went there so I can’t comment on it. However, in midtown Manhattan you are never short of places to eat. There is a small supermarket on 34th street so you can stock up your fridge.

All in all, I was impressed by the hotel and the facilities. For my first time in the city the location was spot on. I would recommend it to anyone else though not someone with small children because of the lack of room service and room space.

• MissThing606's Profile Photo

Great Value Hotel

Proximity

Room size, bed, condition

There was internet access in the small lounge next to the lobby,

• labadim's Profile Photo

Hotel Grand Union

I enjoyed this hotel very much! The room is convenient and cosy, with cable TV and a nice bath tub. The staff is very helpful and welcoming, the price - reasonable. I would recommend it to my friends, and will come back too.

More about Hotel Grand Union

nice hotel in NYC

hotel Grand Union was more than adequate and convenient location, accessible by bus to many areas of the city. I paid rack price through hotels.com but on arrival i overheard the desk clerk tell someone else a rate considerably lower than i paid. since we had already checked in we couldn't get a better rate - assuming it was available. It is always best to call any hotel directly before checking in to check the rates. The hotel was clean, updated and refurbished and I would go there again.

A Manhattan Secret

by TripAdvisor Member RNnyusa

I live on Madison Ave., around the corner from this hotel. I put my parents up there for 12 days when they visited me from Scotland (they are both in their 70's). It was ideal for them and it didn't cost me too much compared to the other hotels in Manhattan. I would say the best things about this hotel are it's great location and the unbeatable price. I have used other hotels in town around this price range and the rooms are smaller (I mean hardly anough room to walk around the bed) or the hotel is uglier.

The hotel's entrance is small, in the middle of the block, which makes it look unimpressive. The area is quiet on the weekends but busy during the week with commuters going to and from the subway and Penn Station. It is a safe, middle-class Manhattan, neighbourhood. Yes, people do live around here! I know a lot of tourists end up in the hotels around Times Square. But it is extrememly crowded over there and almost impossible to get around. The subway at Times Square isn't so nice and there are a lot of not-so-nice people that hang around. It is difficult to get a taxi too because there are several thousand others with the same idea, especially when the theatres come out. However from the Hotel Grand Union it is easy to get to the attractions and no rush-hour crowds to fight through.

In an honest opinion i'd say if you can afford to spend around $300 a night you'd be better to stay in a bigger, nicer hotel. The room my parents had was dull with basic furnishings (Motel-like). But if you like the price, you won't be disappointed. Unfortunately in this town, you really only get what you pay for. Don't expect the Hilton for $115 a night, but this hotel isn't too bad at all.

Nice and quiet hotel

I must say our experience at the Grand Union was good. We checked in early around 11:00 and they had a room ready. On the very same night we had a problem with the door to our room that required some repairs and the hotel easily upgraded us to a new room. The staff are nice and polite and the hotel is clean and quiet. I would recommened this hotel to anyone.

Great little hotel!

Good location, very nice lobby. As you walk in, on the right is a sweet little lounge where it appears that internet access is available. On the left is the adjacent coffee shop. Next to the elevator is a small lending library, a nice touch! I was a little nervous when the desk clerk gave me a TV remote along with the electronic key, but not to worry! My room had one double bed, the carpet was new, bathroom very clean, with soap and shampoo, fluffy towels. Added plus was refrigerator in the room. Only thing missing was no clock. Very very clean and comfortable; excellent value for what I paid $109.00.

Good Cheap Hotel

We stayed at the Grand Union for three day's in August and it's exactly what we expected. Very good location, a subway station a block away, some good food just around the corner and it's in a safe location. The front desk staff wasn't overly nice but very respectable and the cleaning staff was great, very nice and they kept everything in top shape. If you want a no frills good hotel with a good location in Midtown this is the place for you. I would stay there again since when your visting New York you don't spend much time in you room anyway.

Grand Union hotel

by kci24

Hi all, I'm going to New York soon and am looking to find somewhere at a reasonable price to stay. I came accross the Grand Union Hotel, which is very close to the Empire State Building. Has anyone stayed there? Whats it like?

by zuriga

You can always check hotels at www.tripadvisor.com.

by Bavavia

well, there are no cheap decent hotels in manhattan... even the not so great places are expensive. Depends too on which day you are going. I stayed at the Muse hotel in manhattan a few times. THey have specials sometimes called Great dates/great rates. Otherwise its a bit pricey, but they do have those special great dates and the price is way reduced. The price extends to some weekends too..
never heard of stayed at the grand union hotel..... if its less than 3 stars, i would beware!

by icunme

We ducked inside their deli from the rain to have a cheesecake - they have the dubious distinction of being the site of the largest rat I have EVER see scurry across our feet to the rear of the the deli. Exit left........

by Bavavia

oh my God! thats not good, lol! all the times I have been in Manhattan, i have not yet seen a rat( hopefully i wont)! once though in philly i saw a giant roach, terrible ,,,never forget it, lol..

Comments