Hotel Indigo New York City, Chelsea

pea souppea soup

wowwow

A few key tips

by davesut

Any help appreciated with 5 adults & 50 teenagers NYC next week. Itinerary is fixed but a few things that could help

Q1 Lunch at Liberty or Ellis Island. From four years ago I remember that Ellis Island had a burger/sandwich restaurant that would do for lunch and Liberty Island had just a couple of drinks kiosks. Would lunch still be better on Ellis Island for the group?

Q2 Liberty Island Museum - I remember lockers needed as no bags are allowed in museum. Anybody know if this is still the case and any change needed to pay?

Q3 The Jewish Museum on 5th Avenue. Best way from here to the ice skating rink in Central Park?

All help appreciated

HI

There are cafes and restuarants on all three islands. There are also picnic facilities- if the weather is clement.

For directions to Jewish Museum:

by lynnehamman

Walking to Central Park skating ring from Jewish museum is possible= not a far distance at all.
Lockers are available at museums, and you have to go through airport-like security screening.
Sorry I missed these for first reply

by davesut

Thanks Lynne although a picnic in February may be a bit ambitious

by lynnehamman

Yes- thats why I mentioned the clemency of the weather as a factor

by goodfish

You had me curious so I thought I'd just look.....

The NPS has websites for both monuments:

Looking at Liberty Island, they do mention that backpacks, umbrellas, etc won't be allowed into the museum but small handbags and cameras are OK. It also says lockers are available "for small items." Now, I don't know if that means that backpacks will fit in them, and as those are almost standard equipment for school kids (and they tend to haul big biggish ones) I'll bet most of your young people may be toting them? I wonder if it's worth a call?? The website provides numbers.

by johngayton

I had a pefectly servicable lunch at the "cafeteria" on Liberty - OK pizza and very good coffee. It's sort of McD's style self-service and similar food but not hugely expensive. If you're lucky enough to get a bit of unseasonably good weather then sitting outside is a bonus - but don't let the seagulls intimidate you!

by TOPSHELFPUBCRAWLER

I highly recommend lunch at Ellis Island. Funny, I took my daughter to NYC for her 16th birthday, just six months after her first visit with her school. She wanted me to take her back to Ellis Island for lunch just because she enjoyed the food there. She was right, it was excellent and completely unexpected for that venue.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers!

Travel Tips for New York City

see the view from Empire State...

by Ramonq

see the view from Empire State which was a lot better than the view from the much-missed Twin Towers. You can actually look down on the Rockefeller Center and the gothic Chrysler Building. You'll appreciate the details of some the famous buildings up here which cannot be seen from the ground level. I don't know about you, but there's something about the atmosphere in the main foyer of the cavernous Grand Central Station during the rush hour. I stood there in awe whilst thousands of people zoom past me totally oblivious to the magnificent surrounding. They all just want to get from A to B, pronto, now, immediately. Very New York attitude. I've never seen so much trench coats and business suits in my life! I stood there and said, 'yep, I'm in New York City!'

Bring your friends and protest something.

by tpangelinan

My favorite thing about New York City and America in General is our Right to protest. These folks are getting some freedom of speech, freedom to protest peacefully.
I LOVE AMERICA

Anyway, this was right outside of Central Park. They were really young too. Some type of protest about Falun Gong a meditation practiced in China. It makes me curious, what is wrong with Falun Gong? Hmmmm

if i were to bring somebody,it...

by Qclub

if i were to bring somebody,it would be Central park where we could either take strolls,or watch concerts. For lunch there is oh so many places to munch that I hardly had any #1 favorites,but my most favorite was the Carnegie deli. Delicious sandwiches,and soups. As being a former resident of Long Island,I could recall so many times I frequented both midtown,and downtown Manhattan.
Would take the railroad on sundays into the city from Valley Stream. And never came home till the near end of the day,it was a ball!

Cool New York quote: 'On...

by acemj

Cool New York quote:

'On Broadway it was still bright afternoon and the gassy air was almost motionless under the leaden spokes of sunlight, and sawdust footprints lay about the doorways of butcher shops and fruit stores. And the great, great crowd, the inexhaustible current of millions of every race and kind pouring out, pressing round, of every age, of every genius, possessors of every human secret, antique and future, in every face the refinement of one particular motive or essence -- I labor, I spend, I strive, I design, I love, I cling, I uphold, I give way, I envy, I long, I scorn, I die, I hide, I want. Faster, much faster than any man could make the tally. The sidewalks were wider than any causeway; the street itself was immense, and it quaked and gleamed and it seemed ... to throb at the last limit of endurance.'
~Saul Bellow, from 'Seize the Day'

Visit the Rockefeller Christmas Tree

by high_d

If you are in the city around the holidays, and there's nothing like NYC around the holidays...(of course, there's the throng of people BUT ) the awesome sight of the Rockefeller Christmas tree and everything decked out with twinkly lights, just brings back those nostalgic days of being a kid on Christmas day...I love that feeling...

Comments