120 W 44th St, New York, NY, 10036

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Mela

Loved Hotel Mela

by TripAdvisor Member travelgrlToronto

I stayed 2 nights. March 30- April 1st. I was in NYC by myself and I couldn't ask for anything more from a hotel or staff. The staff were friendly and very helpful. On the restaurant recommendations of the concierge, I was able to have some fantastic meals. The front desk also made sure there was a Lincoln car waiting for me for my trip back to the airport( that was slightly pricey but prompt). I had a pkge delivered to the hotel the day I arrived and it was given to me upon check in.
The bed was AWESOME, I wish I could have one like that at home - the best hotel bed & linens ever! And as for the shower - great water pressure and has every temperature you could want. I think past reviewers couldn't figure out how to control the temp. If that is the case - just call front desk , I am sure they could help. The only negative thing I could say is that one of the mornings my wake up call was 15 min late but I was already up. The room was small but still larger than what I have stayed in past. I think previous reviewers may not have been to NYC very often. As this is normal, but what does it matter? Don't tell me you are hanging out in your hotel room in NYC? This hotel has a great location on 44th. Quick check in and check out, luggage storage available also. Don't forget to enroll in the Desires program online. I would not hesitate to book here again.

Little Gem

by TripAdvisor Member tuckerbag

Stayed at Hotel Mela at the end of March and we were well impressed. It feels like a relatively small hotel and is tucked away but just off Times Square which makes for a quiet place to relax but close to the action to sample the delights of the city. The rooms are small but extremely well appointed and comfortable which in our opinion was more important.

Size matters

by TripAdvisor Member KD5

I have never seen a hotel room this small. I knew the previous reviews were right as soon as I entered the elevators. I thought that I had entered the Land of the Lilliputians; only 3 average size people can fit. The room, billed as a superior queen, was about 9 by 9. There was no place to put suitcases or hang coats. The "closet" was a piece of furniture that had hangers, a mini safe, the iron, ironing board and a few shallow drawers. Couldn't hang up raincoats without wrinkles. We just put our coats on top of the suitcase on the floor. No chairs were in the room; the only place to sit was on the bed which was more like a double size bed. However, the linens, comforter and pillows were nice. Although the bathroom looks modern, the shower door hits the toilet when opened. The hallways are narrow and made more so as the cleaning carts have found a permanent home in the middle of the halls. No coffee maker in the room and no coffee available in the lobby. The staff was pleasant but confused. The only good thing about this hotel is its location; close to theaters. We like to try new hotels but will not return to this one.

Very happy with Mela

by TripAdvisor Member Pat&J0

Our room was on the 8th floor. It was spotless, handsomely appointed, comfortable (if a little cramped for two--but we expected a small room), and surprisingly quiet--VERY quiet. The bathroom was spacious and as clean as everything else. The service was unfailingly courteous and helpful, including a great tip on eating nearby.

This is a lovely boutique hotel near a lot of action. The rooms are small, as advertised, so don't expect much space to spread out. Nevertheless, you won't be disappointed.

Yes, small rooms...but great location, helpful staff, nice furnishings

by TripAdvisor Member PikePlaceTraveler

Ninety percent of NYC hotel rooms are tiny. That's just the way it is. So don't be shocked by the Mela's postage-stamp sized accomodations. They are nicely appointed, fairly clean, and convenient to Times Square and many other NYC landmarks. The staff was very courteous and helpful.

My only quibble is that the Mela touts itself as a 4 star hotel.

Sorry, it is 3 star at best.

The Mela lacks many amenities that you would expect in a 4 star "boutique" hotel -- no restaurant, no spacious lobby or lounge, and a tiny workout room. The Mela is a "boutique" hotel in the sense that it provides small, well appointed rooms. There really is no lobby -- there is a checkin desk, and a central cushioned "sofa" wrapped around a support pillar, but there is no room to sit in the lobby, read a newspaper, or meet and chat with friends/other travelers.

Still, if you can get a room at a good rate (I booked for $189/night for late March), this is a great deal. If you get above $300/night, however...I suggest shopping around a bit.

Good for the price

by TripAdvisor Member zplasty

STayed here in Feb 2007 shortly after opening. This hotel is an excellent value for the price. Rooms are typical NYC size but are chic. The front desk staff is extremely nice and helpful. location is excellent 1 block from Times Square.

Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Pisces1950

Go, if you want to be spoiled. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. This hotel is modern, elegant and convenient. Even though the hotel restaurant had not opened yet, there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance, as well as, Time Square, theaters, subway and shopping. We were provided with transportation in inclement weather and even an umbrella. It may not be the best place for children as there is no pool or play area, but ideal for adults. The fitness center is small, but all the equipment is new. The hotel was more accommodating that Hotels.com, so when we made our 4th reservation, we made it directly with the hotel, which honored the Hotels.com rate. We had 4 rooms for a birthday celebration weekend. Thank goodness they didn't evict us for having too good of a time. It was a very good value.

The end of a saga... and I'm very impressed

by TripAdvisor Member sbj

We were supposed to stay in October but the hotel delays meant that we were switched to the Mansfield and offered compensatory dates over Easter.

Firstly, in terms of room size - we stayed in the Executive room and it was plenty big enough with ample storage space and much larger than a lot of rooms I've seen in the comparible price range - (if room size is going to be a big problem to you the don't go through Priceline or book the smallest room in ANY NYC hotel because chances are you will be disappointed). The rooms are also done really nicely - nice colour scheme, flat panel TV, coffee maker and exceptionally comfortable beds.

The location is also fine, located half a block from Times Square, so exceptionally convenient for everything in Midtown.

What differentiates the Mela from many NYC hotels that I've stayed in before is the staff. All the staff were friendly and more than ready to help in any situation.

Also, the manager David Lopez, is one of the few managers I've encountered worldwide that has taken onboard criticism (from the initial problems that we encountered in October) and positively addressed the issues and seeked to make amends. He took some time out to meet us personally on Tuesday and left an extremely positive impression. I'd personally like to thank him for making our stay so great.

I will definitely be returning to the Mela.

Nice business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Morrisfrnk

Wonderful stay! I am a business traveler -- abut 80K miles a year. I normally stay at Marriott and/or Hilton. I must say that i was very impressed with the service and comfort of the hotel. The decor allows relaxation after busy meetings. Other hotels should follow the same decor...modern, clean and comfortable. There is no long wait in the elevators. Close to restaurants, subway, train station and over 5 STARBUCKS!!
F

Nice Location ... Good Pick

by TripAdvisor Member old-man-orange

Saw a deal on TRAVELZOO for a nice rate $219. It is a new boutique hotel that aims to please. If you are in NYC for Broadway Show and major Touristy Things then this location 44th St 6/7 th Ave is right in the middle, it is quite busy here if you are looking for quiet and slow ...this is not it.

The staff was real nice. The lobby is nicely done, but small and not great for hanging out as we had 14 friends together for weekend. They are in the middle of construction on Asia restaurant and lounge which should be a great draw when it opens in June 2007. The standard rooms are small as they are in Times Square and space is a premium, but decorated quite nice and neat. If you can upgrade to Executive Queen it is a fair bit larger.

Overall ... good expeience, nice staff ... would give it a 3.5 to 4 Stars