401 7th Ave at 33rd St, New York City, New York, 10001-2062, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 30% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

Convenient for Penn station

The only redeeming aspect of this hotel is its proximity to Penn Station & Madison Sq Gerdens, both directly across 7th Ave from the hotel front door.

The first thing that you notice when entering the bullding, is a massive shabby hall of gigantic proportion at which, at the far end, is the reception. This is easily recognised as from a distance you can see numerous guests lining up waiting to check in which, according the the receptionist we spoke to, can take up to 45 minutes.

The whole place is like some form of homeless building and clearly no serious money has been spent on its upkeep for decades.

As we had arrived early, due to the Cunard vessel we had travelled on from Southampton, disembarking at around 10am, it was clear that we were not going to get a room with the huge number of people milling about in the hotel. We did manage to get the receptionist to let us take our luggage down on the elevator to a dingy baggage store where we were charged some 12 dollars for our bags for a few hours. The only positive suggestion was that although the check in time was officially 15.00hrs, it was worth trying to get a room at around 13.00 hrs, as then the line will be a mere half hour wait.

After getting our keys we found our room which was spacious but looked as if it had not been cleaned for months. Wires were strewn across the bedroom from outlets some 6m away to feed bedside lamps etc.

Fortunately for us, we were only in transit for one night, as we were catching the morning Amtrak train up to Montreal first thing the next morning, but this place is certainly somewhere to avoid at all costs, and I think is probably the worst maintained property I have stayed in anywhere in the world, which is something not to be too proud of.

Be aware of up to $50 + taxes levied on a standard room per night.

Unique Quality: The hotel where the famous pre war bandleader Glenn Miller played many a gig at which time no doubt this hotel was a classy joint.

The telephone number then, and still is Pensylvania 6 5,000, the tiltle of one of his best known tunes

Not only is the hotel right across the street from Penn Railway Station it is also opposite the famous Madison Square Gardens

Directions: Right across the street from Pensylvania railway station on 7th

• Horrible!

I thought the hotel was horrible it reminded me of the shining. I think it tricked people as it was really nice in the reception area but in the rooms they were horrible and dirty. The room had obviosly not been cleaned and the bath had mould in it there were hairs in the bath and the towels stunk. There was 33 of us and not one of us was pleased with the rooms. When some people changed rooms they had to move back in to their original rooms because it was worse than their original room. I would not stay in this hotel again. We didnt even have light in the room we just had 2 lamps. I think they seriosly need to re- decorate. Plus the staff didnt care about the customers they wernt very helpful! Disgusting. Would never go back there!

Unique Quality: It was just Horrible!

• dirty hotel

dirty small rooms no hot water tiny bed i dindt fit on them, the sockets didnt work doors in the rooms that led into other peoples. bugs looked like they never decorated since they built it paint was coming of the walls. it stunk they didnt seem bothered when we complaint there was 33 of us and all the rooms was dirty. window look like they never got cleaned. never go back there complete rip off.

Unique Quality: none

• "PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE REVIEWS...HOTEL HELL

My wife and I recently stayed at this dump because of the location. We thought that some of the bad reviews were just people who enjoy complaining on sites and overexaggerating about poor service and such. The lobby was ok, but when we got off of the elevator it looked like something from The Shining! My wife and I joked that Jack Nicholson was about to jump out and yell "Here's Johnny!" The carpets were stained and discusting, the smell was like a moldy old basement, the walls were stained and paint was peeling. As if this scene was not horrible enough, our room was even more discusting! The bathroom was filled with mold and the tub was rusted and filled with what looked like pubic hair! The sheets had cigarette burns and the corners were covered in so much dust that it could not have been cleaned in months..maybe years! The last straw was when I woke up to use the bathroom and cockroaches scattered around when I turned on the light! We contacted the front desk to complain and they informed us that we could not be moved until the following day or possibly the day after. Not only that, but they stated that they could not guarantee that the other room would be any better or free of bugs and other nasty things! WE WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN and NOONE ELSE SHOULD EITHER! PLEASE BE SMART AND LISTEN TO THESE WARNINGS! We would have been better off sleeping on a bench in central park!

Unique Quality: location is the only positive, but the hotel is so discusting that it is not worth it!

• Much better than some reviews

2pm, check-in line was long...but check out isn't until noon, so that was understandable (clerk was VERY pleasant.) We checked our bags and had some fun until later in the afternoon when the line was much shorter. The hotel is OLD. Beautiful lobby, but our room and bathroom were rather worn, dated. The sheets were pristine white and mattress was clean, as well. It's a breeze to get to Times Square via the sub, and the walk is great, too with lots of things to see and people to watch!

Directions: Across the street from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden

• Will NEVER stay here EVER again!!

Pictures are certainly deceiving!!!! This was the worst hotel on the planet!! The location was great and even the outside of the building and the lobby were nice, but as soon as we stepped off the elevator...hello hostel. No, worse than a hostel!! The hallway had a feeling of a mental institution and the floors and walls looked as if it were the murder scene from an episode of CSI NY or SVU!! Talk about scary!! The room was so small we couldn't even unfold the rollaway bed, and the bathroom...terrible and tiny!! And the air conditioner was broken- during summertime in NYC!! And to top it all off, they charge per bag to store your luggage, while most hotels store it complimentary...but not this place! I could go on forever. There are not enough words to describe this place...but "worst place imaginable" definitely sums it up!!

Unique Quality: The location is the only thing it had going for it!!

Directions: Directly across from Madison Square Garden

• What a dump!

Room was old, small, disgusting and barren with worn carpet, furniture and smelled of disinfectant. Woke up in the morning and room was filled with bugs all over the walls and ceiling in the bathroom. Reported it to the hotle floor manager who came to the room and confirmed the bug infestation. She said she will report it to the front desk manager and offered to move my room. I told her I was checking out!

When I went to check out, the clerk said they will reduce my room by $50! I said that was unacceptable and wanted to speak with the hotel manager. The front desk manager said the clerk misunderstood and they will reduce my room by 50%. I said that still was unacceptable but she said that is all they will do!

Stay away from this hotel at all costs!!!!!!!!!!

• very misleading and incompetent hotel

When viewing photos for this hotel, the room I booked looked pretty decent. My boyfriend and I got there and saw a luxurious looking lobby but when we got to our floor, it felt as if we had entered a completely different hotel, if not, MOTEL. Our room looked very shoddy, and here's what I have to complain about it: 1) half the lights in the room weren't working, 2) couldn't turn off the TV (the remote didn't work, the TV buttons didn't work...), 3) the outlets weren't working, 4) there were holes in the blanket, 5) the room wasn't cleaned whatsoever (used towel still hanging on the rack), 6) ceiling looked like it was going to collapse at any moment, and the list goes on!!! Seriously, spending close to $200 on a so-called "renowned" hotel that looks like crap on the interior is just really frustrating. Going to a motel, this sort of thing might be expected but definitely not in a hotel that ranks 3-4 stars. Some motels I've gone to in the past have looked nicer than this one!!!

Anyway, we went downstairs to complain and they upgraded us to the Penn 5000 suite or something...well...it was a tad bit more spacious, came with a flat screen TV, everything worked fine, EXCEPT that there was yet another used towel hanging on the bathroom door. Also there was a half used bottle of mouthwash which says to me that again, the room was not cleaned. Even when we complained to the lobbyist, she shook her head and said, "ughhh I don't get why this keeps happening!!!"

Overall, this hotel was very disappointing and very creepy looking. I would not recommend this to anyone...a motel would be a better bet than Hotel Pennsylvania.

Unique Quality: I think the only great thing about this hotel was that it was in the center of the city. Everything's nearby - Starbucks, burger joints, drinks, etc.

• find somewhere else to stay

This hotel its ok if u just want 2 drop your bags and go shopping or see the sites dont expect much from this hotel no bar or restaurant little cafe kind of place in the lobby food not great and way over priced no form of entertainment in the hotel the lobby is great and if that was to go by u would expect the rooms to be of a good standard but sorry to say tats not the case rooms very old fashioned windows hard to see out with the build up of dirt heating system noisey and from the stone age bathroom very shabby rooms were cleaned every day and towels changed felt like the more time i spent in the room the more i didnt want to be there there two irish bars across the road from the side entrance and as an irish person i would not recommend a visit to these establishments as one of the bars was filthy and a very nasty smell coming from the toilets and on going to use the loo i was shocked by the filty of them i went to use the toilets of the other so called irish bar next door found it clean but the bar staff very unfriendly unhelpful and more intrested in filling there own glasses behind the bar than serving the coustomers as i only used this hotel to sleep in as was out all day it will do for the very basics for your visit to new york

Unique Quality: facilities= none
    pool=none
    great views=side of a building or maby more if could see out the window
    location=as good as it gets very central to everything
    bar=none
    food=poor
    service=good

• not as bas as some make it out to be

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel a few times and at first we were disappointed. I had picked the hotel because of it's location. It's centrally located in the midst of everything we wanted to see. I had requested a nice view and when we got there we had a tiny room with a view of the building behind us. The bathroom was small and only had a shower and a toilet. We called the front desk and voiced our disappointment and they immediately did what they could to accomodate us. We were moved to a much larger room and a better view. It was clean and very well maintained. I think you get good service when their work is appreciated and duly noted with a few extra dollars. We tipped our maid very well (in advance) and she bent over backwards for us. The staff was very generous to us and accomodated us throughout our entire stay. We are going back again for the fourth of july this year and staying at that hotel. As many people that come and go through that hotel, and they remembered us. Now that's service!

Directions: directly accross from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station

• drvanessa's Profile Photo

Central location

Stayed there for 2 wks in April 2008!The hotel is vast, chaotic with numerous people coming and going all the time, literally speaking!Its reception is in fact "a small Trafalgar square":-)Can be exciting at first but later on turns out to be exchausting!The rooms though are quite (at least the one i stayed in on the 13th floor), comfortable, with a separete closet-room, -which i have to admit i found it really great as a woman!:-))- BUT are old furnitured and that can be depressing. In other words it's not the room that can keep you inside for hrs. But who would like to stay indoors when visiting NY anyway?Its location is its main advantage!Right opposite the Madisson sqr Garden, on the 7th avenue. You can go to the 5th on foot or take the nearby metro to other parts of the city.

Unique Quality: Also, the pizzeria "Zippos" across the hotel can stay open till 1am and offers a good-night pizza's snack:-)Moreover, the hotel organizes everything for you, all the touristic attractions from theatre tickets to helicopter-flying over NY and limousine driving through the city!Try the limo-driving and you won;t regret it!From 21:00-00:00, it will take you around the NY major spots while you'll be drinking vodka for just 300 euros!!!(accommodates up to 6 persons,so...)

• cloed's Profile Photo

Location Location Location

Its a few years since i have stayed in this hotel but some of my family were there this year , and while its not a hotel that would ever get 5 stars for its decor or facilitys it would get them for locaton - as its one block from Macys it is in the heart of the shopping area - which is what i go for -
    they are doing up the hotel in stages and im told the new section is nice and clean while the old section is OLD - but who gos to new york to sit in your room !

• ROCKARIA's Profile Photo

Central located Hotel

I would recommend Pennsilvania starting at around $99 per package.
    It is right in the middle of Manhattan opposite to Madisson square gardens,near time square,empire state buliding etc...
    Enjoy ...

Unique Quality: Good location and Hotel with a nice Foyer

• csordila's Profile Photo

A place to sleep with great location.

Huge tourist class (2 STARS) hotel, 1,700 simple rooms. The hotel is in the middle of EVERYTHING, opposite Madison Square Gardens and Macys!!! We loved the location and the lobby but the rooms are in desperate need of renovation and also the maid service was not great. However, we had beds, hot water and heat...which is really all we needed. Most staff were helpful and courteous.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located in the heart of Manhattan, close to Penn station, the theatres, three blocks from the Empire State Building, Macy’s, across from Madison Square Garden, within walking distance to Times Square and Chelsea and other attractions. If you don’t want to spend too much money for a place to sleep and shower, this is the place for you.

Directions: Very close to Penn station, on 7th Avenue at 33rd Street .

• Jontxu's Profile Photo

Not the best...

I must say that we ask them to change our rooms, the rooms at the lower floors are much worse than the room at the top, the place is not luxurious, but the firts room was dirty and very old, we found many students in our corridor leaving their fast food waste along the place, when we had our room changed the whole thing went better.
    The worst thing is that to go to the airport we book a cab with them, that arrived 30 mins later, it was quite frustraiting claiming because all what they said was that they would give us our money back!! And the plane about to leave!!

More about Hotel Pennsylvania

by lveste

Does anyone here know much about this rather large hotel. I've heard its in a great location but have differing accounts of the state of rooms. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Hotel Pennsylvania

by seagoingJLW

Take a look at their web site:

Joan

Re: Hotel Pennsylvania

by Docu2001

It's a dump ... basically. But as dumps go ... it's not the worst.

Comments