401 7th Ave at 33rd St, New York City, New York, 10001-2062, United States

See Amenities
foxxylove's Profile Photo

cheap and cheerful!

by written on May 15, 2007

we came to new york april '07,we were a bit apprehensive about staying here as it has had some really awful reviews but my sister and i were pleasantly surprised,it is a huge hotel,bustling with people coming and going,you really feel a buzz about the building,the lobby is mega grand and the staff were great,the room we got had the comfiest bed and it was clean,if you want a great location,a comfy bed and a shower in the mornings to get you going i'd recommend it.

Directions: opposite madison square gardens,right next to penn station,10 min walk to times square and empire state building.

Convenient to Grand Central

by written on May 2, 2007

This hotel is right in midtown...close to Macy's, Grand Central Station, the PATH train and MSG. It was an ok hotel. I'm of the mindset, however, that although I don't want a one star hotel, I'd rather spend my money mainly on travel itself. This was a great central location to drop off bags and head back after a busy day. The rooms are relatively small for the money (remember, it's NYC!) but it's clean and safe.

dazsin's Profile Photo

Why the bad reviews?

by written on April 3, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania August 06 with 2 friends, and I completely enjoyed my stay. Okay the room wasnt exactly luxury - but who goes to NYC to stay in the room?? The first thing I would say is that this hotel is in the best location in the city, absolutely fantastic - its a 10 minute walk from Times Square, across the road from Macy's and Madison Square Garden, and also the train station (Penn). Its about a 10 minute walk to the Empire State Building too.
I found the staff fairly friendly, the lifts were fine, the room was clean and the beds were fine.
I absolutely loved my stay at this hotel. PS - No - I dont work for them...!!

location location location

by written on February 15, 2007

Hi, I was in NYC in May 2004. Me and two friends of mine were staying in The Penn. Hotel for 10 nights. The hotel self was ok. good price/friendly people/good bed and shower (what more do you want?) and a GREAT location! It was a good stay, i would recommend it!

Jan Albert kroeze

The Netherlands

Unique Quality: Great location

A DUMP!

by written on November 29, 2006

This hotel is a dump!!! Not only is it old and run down, it is also dirty.

We booked a room with two double beds but received a room with two twin beds. The bed linens were disgusting and the carpet had stains. The bathroom was worse than the hall bathroom in my college doom. The faucet in the shower dripped all night and I could not take a shower without being scalded. Every table had a layer of dust and the room smelt of mold.

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!

PENNSYLVANIA PIT

by written on November 20, 2006

I am from NY, so I figured this hotel had to be good, the location you can't beat. All the years I have gone into the city, the hotel always crowded, I figured how bad. Well, when you can get a room for $200, booked on a Friday, to stay on Saturday, should speak for its self.

The hotel inside felt like Penn Station, all Europeans and toursists crawling like ants. To check to about 30 mins, long lines not enough people working. To check bags you have to spend $4 and go to this nasty room where it looks like a club room coat check.

Next, the room, SMALL! There is mold on the ceilings, in the room and bathroom. The tub is nasty, don't shower. The thermostat doesn't work, room hot as hell.

The coffee shop downstairs is the only think for snacks. You will have to go outside to get snacks. Overall, I was truly dissappointed and would like to try and my money back.

Take it from a New Yorker, DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SUCKED..

Unique Quality: LOCATION

Be prepared to change rooms

by written on November 11, 2006

It's not worth the value!
We spent 5 nights in NY and we had to change 3 times the room because of different reasons: dirty rooms or no working heating between others.
We met other guests of the hotel who experienced exactly the same which means that it was not bad luck in our case.
The worst for us was the customer service at the reception; they are to used to listen to customers complaining they don't even care and/or apologise! It took us 3 days to find a competent person who would help us finding our last room (which would have been appropiate the first day).
The only good thing I can say about the hotel is its great location. So, if you don't mind dirt and you are ready for adventures, go for it! Every day there is a new discovery: no working toilet or TV or heating...

Unique Quality: The location is great.

Directions: In front of the Madison Square Garden

Best location for the price

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2006

English will follow.

Apres avoir lu la quantitée de mauvais commentaire, j'étais tres nerveux à l'idée de dormir à cet hotel. Oui, l'hotel a besoin d'un coup de peinture. Mais bon... Moi personnellement, il n'y en aurait pas, et j'aurais dormis pareil. Je n'ai pas vu personne crier, ou pleurer parce qu'il y avait de la moisisure dans leurs salles de bains. Franchement, je crois que les gens en mettes un peu. Quand tu payes 159$ la nuit en plein coeur de Manhattan, faut pas s'attendre à avoir une chambre qui en vaut 450$. J'ai tres bien dormis les 2 soirs. Un grand lit KING, climatisation, mini réfrigérateur, de l'eau chaude et tout étais tres propre. J'étais au 6e étage, chambre 687. Quand je dors, je ne vois pas les murs qui aurait besoin de peinture. Mais si vous voulez absolument avoir des murs immaculés, il y a toujours le Ritz.

Afte reading all the bad commentary about this Hotel, I was very nervous to sleep in. Yes they need to repaint some walls, but who cares? I did'nt see someone crying at the front desk because he saw a crack on the wall or some moles in the tub. When you pay 159$ a night in the center of Manhattan, it's not the same thing has 450$. I sleep very well the 2 nights. I had a King Bed, a mini fridge, hot water in the tub and A/C. Everything was very clean. I was at the 6th floor in 687 room. If you relly need to had fresh and clean walls when you sleep, you can go to the Ritz.

Unique Quality: English will follow.

En face du Madisson Square Garden sur la Fashion Ave. Il n'y a pas mieux pour le prix. 10 minutes de marche pour time square et 25 minutes pour Litle Italie et le Chinatown. Metro en bas de l'hotel sur le coin de la rue. Ligne 1 sur la 34th Street.

Moi j'y retourne n'importe quand, et SI jamais je ne suis pas satisfait de ma chambre, j'irai voir en bas et je demanderai de changer de chambre. Vraiment pas plus grave que ca.

Just in front of the Madisson Square Garden on the Fashion AVE. You can't have more for the price. 10 walking minutes for time square and 25 minutes for Litle Italy and Chinatown. The metro was at the corner of the street line 1 on 34th Street.

If I had the go at New York Again, I'll return to this Hotel all the way! And if the room was in a poor condition, I will go dowstair to the front desk, and I'll ask a new room, that's it.

Manhattan's Best Shower

by written on May 26, 2006

If you're intending to stay out late and only come back for a "rousing" shower (how can a hotel of this size have this water pressure??), then this is for you. However, if you prefer relative luxury, a reception area unlike a busy airport (with queues to match) and not to have helpful cleaners reclaiming items from under furniture that you do not own - on a daily basis, then this is not the place for you! Pretty good location but... The more aesthetic might like the "headboards", i.e. the stains remaining after the originals were removed with the screw holes left for good measure. But the water pressure was really good... Oh and if wanting to see a show, contact the venue direct! The mark-up was astounding. We phoned the theatre direct and got tickets for the Blue Man Group (should seriously NOT be missed!) for $79.25 versus the $125 quoted at the hotel desk (booking fees, etc. etc.)

Unique Quality: Shower water pressure
Long queues at reception

Directions: Midtown Manhattan (opposite Madison Square Garden)

solopes's Profile Photo

Everybody's Hotel

by written on May 26, 2006

I stayed twice at the Pennsylvania, which I suppose to be the first choice of any Portuguese agency. And it's OK.

The location is good, the prices are reasonable and the rooms are big and comfortable enough.
The only drawback, in both times, was the front desk's incapacity to deal with dozens of guests entering or leaving in a short frame of time. In my second visit, though arriving about 4PM I couldn't get the reserved room immediately, being forced to leave luggage in the front desk and go to town without changing nor refreshing. Coming back to the hotel everything was ready, with new delicate apologizes, and no further complaints.

Beware of the electrics!!!

by written on April 13, 2006

Well from the onset this place looked stunning. The hallway was very grand and looked plush, as did the lifts with the wonderful news on the tv!
When you get to your room however....Well firstly our main light didn't work! Then when we tried to plug our lamp in...well if i was a sparky I would have had a heart attack!! The sockets were literally hanging off the walls and it was a case of dares as to who was going to plug in something!
The beds were comfy and big! The bathroom was distinctly average but I wouldnt recommend having a bath or using the shower without flip-flops on. We were in a room within a room(obviously they had knocked a wall through to make it two rooms) which was frustrating because there was no door for privacy between the two rooms. The hotel is HUGE(we were on the 16th floor) but it was easy to navigate and find your way. The walls seemed to be paper thin and you could hear people walking up and down the corridor which was very very annoying when you are jet-lagged and very tired. I personally would say this hotel is fine for students(which we were!)who are used to hostels or for people who are only staying for one/two days- any longer and I'd say to find somewhere a bit better quality.

Unique Quality: Alot of pilots use this hotel!
It is very, very central and easy to find if you get lost. There is an onsite bar and tacky souvenire shop for last minute buyings.

Directions: It is literally on fashion avenue!

I'd rather stay in Jail.............

by written on January 20, 2006

I was in America for 6 wks and this (BY FAR) would have been the worst hotel, so much so that i nearly cried on my first day in NYC. So much excitement and anticipation of being in NY led to utter disappointment due to the state of our accomodation. Now my b/f and I are in our mid 20s and don't consider ourselves fussy by any means but....it was just.... ok let me describe for you...
The First thing I noticed as i walked out of the lift - it STANK! To be frank, it was like musky cat ***. The room itself was no better - the floor was damp, paint peeling off the walls (amongst the many holes) thick dust - which made me sneeze all night, the shower wouldn't turn off properly, the toilet seat - ewww Im not even going there! The first night was horrible. The following morning my boyfriend complained and said there was no way we could stay there - they finally allowed us to change rooms - it was considerably larger and a slight improvement but still far less than satisfactory.
Some people say that because your in NY you wont be in your room that much & while that may be true, Its still a horrible place to come back to after a nice day out.

Out of 10 I'd give it a 1... and thats for the locaiton.

Directions: Opposite Maddison Square Garden

dawnandash's Profile Photo

Not that bad really....

by written on December 27, 2005

The hotel was a great base, the lobby was very nice, plenty of lifts, we were on 5th floor, we could hear some ground noise, but not enough to keep us awake, tea and coffee are in lobby, rooms are ok, clean beds, and clean towels, tv, what more do you want, we spent so much time getting out and about, hotel was ok for us. we had two disabled ladies with us, but it was no problem, we had read some really bad reviews of this hotel, we had a safe stay, check in-out was easy, location couldn,t be better. Get out and about, your break should,nt be about your hotel room......

Unique Quality: Not the Ritz, but for price we paid, we have no complaints, locations of this hotel is great, Macys 5 mins walk, Times Square 15mins walk, central park 30 mins walk. clean loos & beds, its all we wanted

dawnandash's Profile Photo

Not The Best, But Not The Worst

by written on December 27, 2005

Our rooms were on 5th floor, we could here a little street noise, but not enough to stop our sleep, rooms were ok, beds changed every day, fresh clean towels also, big beds, t.v, iron,
Downstairs in lobby, you can buy tea, coffee, etc, Right outside you look at Maddison Sqaure Gardens, Macys is just a short walk, We found hotel, very easy to use and the location is great, This is not a 5 star hotel, and for price we paid, we had a fab time, and would recommend.

Unique Quality: Not many great features, Just a great base, to put down, shower, and sleep. Why spend all you,re time in a hotel room, Theres so much to do and see,

Directions: We got a cab from JFK to 7th ave, costing $100.00. Going past many sights,

lausan's Profile Photo

Central but not the Best

by written on December 9, 2005

Looks Very Grand but it took three Atempts to get a nice Room,But staff very Friendly,Hotel Very Near Empire State.......and Opp Madison Sq Gardens....Side Entrance From Hotel will take you on a shortcut to MACYS

Directions: Central

Nearby Hotel Pennsylvania

• Pennsylvania Hotel Nyc
  • Hotel Pennsylvania Nyc
  • Hotel Pennsylvania New York City

Address: 401 7th Ave at 33rd St, New York City, New York, 10001-2062, United States

24 Photos of Hotel Pennsylvania

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Marriott Marquis New York City
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 24 Reviews
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 59 Reviews
Conrad New York
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews