Hotel Riverside Studios

342 W 71st St, New York, NY 10023

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 23% more and rated 16% lower than other 1 star hotels

More about Hotel Riverside Studios

super location, very reasonable prices

by TripAdvisor Member Geraldaut

I stayed alone 6 nights in a single room - 70$ per night (w/o taxes). This was by far the cheapest possibility in an individual room. The location is great, 1,5 blocks from the next metrostation, at the and of a dead end road. It is 5min from the river, a park is there, quite calm. A tip: breakfast at Papaya's just at the next metro station (72th street), really cheap and friendly.
The hotel inside: the room is small, but proper, fridge is working, as the AC, which is quite noisy. My next bathroom was just next door, I never ever had to wait. Just take flip-flops to go there, and then there is no problem, water is hot, and in the room is a sink for brushing teeth. There is also a TV, with bad reception, but who cares?
For the reservation, keep a paper copy as they do not have internet and only get your reservation by fax, so better be sure to have a proof.
NYC is great, and if you are on a budget I 100% recommand the riverside studios.
PS: I saw a renovation-works billboard outside, announcing major plumber works, so they will certainly renovate from october, for some months.

Not that bad.

The place is not that bad. We had a family room with our own bath, so that was a big plus. Nice location, easy access to the subway, short walking distance to restaurants, nice staff. We didn't see any weirdos. The hallways were small and did smell, but we didn't stay in the hallways. For the price it was pretty good. Of course we only slept in the hotel, much of our time was out in the city. The building was secure. We had clean linen, clean towels, the room was cleaned by a nice lady. I'd stay here again.

Good for solo travelers on a budget

For $50/night this place was great. I just needed a place to crash. My room was about the size of a freshman single dormitory room, but it was all I needed. The cleaning staff was consistent and did a great job (ie fresh sheets and towels everyday) - no bugs or residual muck from previous customers. Restrooms/showers were on the hall so I brought shower shoes. I can't emphasize how safe this place is. I never felt threatened or that my belongings were in danger. I have to recommend this hotel for NYC on a budget.

Bargain for the Price

After reading some of the reviews, we were a bit anxious about staying at this hotel but had no choice as we were unable to find any other accomodations. Expecting the worse, we were pleasantly surprised at this hotel. It is close to great restaurants, coffee shops, fast food joints, museums and one block from the subway.
The lobby was clean, the staff polite and business-like and, if you are friendly, they return the friendliness. Our room was modest and clean, with fresh linen, towels, tiny bars of soap (environmentally sound?), functioning mini-fridge and a good lock on the door. It ain't the Westin, but then you are paying less than $110. so you have to get real.
At no time did we feel unsafe or anxious, the neighbourhood was safe for walking at night (locals walk their dogs),and hotel was quiet.
Shared bathrooms? They were clean and we never waited in line. I'm not really sure what some of the bad reviews are all about...maybe their expectations were too high or the place has improved.
Would I go back? Yep! Great place to sleep, but I wouldn't move in. Negatives: room too hot (kept windows open to cool off); cheesy decor; long narrow hallways.

could have been worse

I just stayed at this hotel and I think they must have done a little remodeling because the other reviews are from 2005. It was not the best place to stay but I did not want to spend twice that amount just for a place to hang my head for two days.

I did not see any bugs and the bathroom was clean enough. The tap water did not seem to work in the room but the refrigerator was nice to put take out food in. The bed was clean and the room itself had no stains and no holes. The door lock was good.

I took the elevator and it was always reliable. There is a winding corridor but you get used to going in the right direction. Because it is an old building, there is a mildew smell when you get on the elevator but I did not notice a smell in my room. The air conditioner was pretty good. If you want cheap and you don't want to stay too long, you could stay here. There is everything you need in walking distance and even at night I did not have to worry about being mugged etc.

A Perfect Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Stratarat

After reading the reviews, my boyfriend and I were not expecting much but we were delighted by our room when we arrived. I have no idea what these people are going on about - the place is perfect as a cheap hotel that's relatively pleasant and a good location. You won’t find anything better for what they charge per night.

The room was clean - we had clean towels and soap everyday and we had our own fridge and cable TV. The bathrooms were always immaculate and located very close to all the rooms. We hardly saw anyone on our floor.

As for people running into undesirable tenants in the hallways - it is New York and the people may be a bit different to whatever backwater USA hick town you’re from.

Great restaurants close by, close to the subway and we always felt safe walking at night. I have recommended it to MANY people.

Riverside Suites??? hardly...

by TripAdvisor Member KJK60

I second all of the negative reviews I just read through. Okay, who is getting the $50 and $80 rooms? My rate was $129 a night - now I feel even more ripped off. For that I don't expect Trump Towers but I do expect - no rodents, no hair on the blankets, TV reception of more than 1 station, rooms larger than my home walk in closet, beds that have no sharp edges that cut me on the ankle. What else awaits you here... stinky elevators, shabby carpets, bathrooms that are left in a shambles with water all over the floor and make you want to thoroughly clean them before you take your own shower. I laughed at the comment about the weird hippie guy in the lobby, I remember him. The only good comment I have is that the owner did try to make things sort of right and he tried to find me a room that was okay. I finally just took one that I could walk around in. But the main thing during my stay was that apparently, at the time the property was in transition from being a residence hotel (flophouse), and there were still some of the lovely and charming residents living there. During my stay, one of them put signs up in all of the bathrooms saying things like the owners were in violation of NY law by making this a hotel, they were going to sue, I forget exactly the wording but it was creepy and made me as a legitimate guest (and a woman on my own) feel very unwelcome and a little unsafe. After the first night of horror I called Am Ex travel and tried to change hotels but they said nothing was available. As I was trying unsuccessfully to check out, I spoke to two girls in the lobby who said they were leaving as soon as they could. Their bedsheets had not been changed, and suffice it to say there was biological matter on them that you would not want to sleep on. Bad, bad, bad experience. I did very much like the location and if you can find another hotel in the area, you should like that part of the city. Oh, the most important observation - "Riverside Suites", as best as I could tell DID NOT HAVE ANY SUITES!!!

Great - for the price

by TripAdvisor Member yankeedave

In answer to the last review, I got a room here through Expedia for 2 nights @ $73 a night plus taxes. Considering how dirt cheap that is for NYC, I was completely satisfied. No bedbugs (I did do a cursory check of the mattress and box springs, no sign of bugs), the sheets were clean, the TV and A/C worked fine. There was a pair of socks under the bed which I threw out, but other than that the room was clean. The bathroom was reasonably clean. When I took a shower, yes, there was some water on the floor and a few hairs here and there but that's because somebody else had just taken a shower. As far as I'm concerned that's to be expected. The room was small but no smaller than I expected. It was dark without the lights on - the window faced a brick wall about 3 feet away - but that was OK. No problems with the staff. Bottom line: would I pay $150 to stay there? No. I think even in NYC you could get better for that money. Would I stay there again for $73? In a heartbeat.

Great place for the price!

by TripAdvisor Member Sulark

I was a bit sceptical when I read some of the reviews for this place. But I have to say I found it very decent for the price and the location was great! The only downside is not having any private bathrooms but the shared ones were kept clean and the bedrooms were nice and clean too. I'd highly recommend it for people wanting to have a cheap stay in New York and spend the rest of their money on shopping and having a good time!

Skating at the plazaSkating at the plaza

the speed limitthe speed limit

insideinside

Brooklyn BridgeBrooklyn Bridge

is it safe area ?

by ska80

Hello all,
Guys could you please check these hotels are they in the safe area

250 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036, United States
+1 212 944 6000

342 West 71st Street (Upper West Side)
New York, NY 10023, United States

Regards

by TexasDave

Both are in very safe places. The first is right in the Times Square area, int he middle of everything,and the second is more of an out-of-the-way residential area.

by ter1413

Yep and yep. As stated...43rd street is smack dab in the middle of Times Square and a little busier. The second is further up. When are you thinking of coming? That is key as New Year's eve in Times square is a MADHOUSE. If another time of the year, you will be fine with either...

by 10028

NO! NO! NO! You're looking at two of the most notoriously despicable places -- The Hotel Carter (called the absolute worst hotel in the entire country!) and Riverside Studios. There's a reason their prices are so much lower than typical hotels. You will be sharing your room with roaches, mice, and in a recent case at the Carter, with a dead body! Have a look at the tripadvisor reviews, and browse through the candid traveler photos on that site. Don't do it while you're eating though!

by ter1413

Good call 10028! I was just commenting on the neighborhoods....not the hotels. Better to pay a little more for a comfortable roach/mouse free experience!

by dino335

YES! Safe neighborhoods, lousy hotels. Hotel Carter recently had a murder.

by footstool

Even ME, living out in the boondocks, have seen local TV reports about The Hotel Carter. I do recall hearing about bedbugs and crime!

by goodfish

OMG! Just looked at the pictures on Trip Advisor and the bathrooms alone would have me running for other options! Terrible. Do look for other options!

by colin343

if your looking for a cheap hotel , then can i recommend hotel 31 or her sister hotel hotel 17.....super clean and good value

cheap hotels

by seratonin

Hi out there!

At the end of May, I will be in NYC. Does anybody know a cheap possibility to spend the night? Thanks for your help!

by ceswho

Check out hotel.com
Good luck

by seagoingJLW

Try this web site:

Joan

by aukjejetty

On my page I write about Riverside Hotel on Janestreet, might want to check it out. It is very basic, and one of the cheapest options. I stayed there in 2000.

Aukje