Hotel Roger Williams

131 Madison Avenue, At 31st Street, New York City, New York, 10016, United States

The Roger
Booking.com The Roger New York Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

An Unexpected Find

I consider myself a well-informed traveler, especially when it comes to good places to stay in places like New York, yet I had never heard of the Hotel Roger Williams. I'm very surprised I hadn't. This is a very, very nice boutique hotel. Very well appointed and stylish, with a nice free breakfast, incredibly helpful and thoughtful staff, and an interesting location (31st street and Madison Avenue) in the Murray Hill section of Manhattan. It's close to Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building, SoHo, the Fashion District, Union Square, Park Avenue, and the West Village. During my last stay, I only had a few hours to be a tourist after some meetings. I walked out of the hotel about 5 blocks south to Madison Square Park where I got a great view of the famous flatiron buidling, walked 1 block west and turned north (right) up 5th Avenue, where I walked all the way to Central Park. During my few hour jaunt, I walked by the aforementioned Flatiron Building, the Empire State Building, the New York City Public Library, Rockefeller Center, numerous famous stores (Cartier, Tiffany's, Saks 5th Avenue, etc.), and ended at Central Park. Along the way, I popped into The Peninsula for a couple of drinks on their rooftop bar (a great place to grab a drink amidst the skyscrapers), and could have easily hit the MOMA. All in all, one of the better bangs for your tourist bangs for your buck you could get in NYC.

The Hotel Roger Williams has a lot to offer and seems to be a great choice of tourists and business people, alike.

Unique Quality: Very helpful and courteous staff. Very interesting location.

Directions: Murray Hill. On the corner of Madison Avenue and 31st Street.

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

A Cool Midtown Hotel

We stayed here for the weekend for my husbands birthday and loved this cute hotel. The room was decorated in a modern style and we had a very nice room. It was very spacious, with a very comfortable king size bed. It had a huge window that looked out onto Madison Avenue.

Unique Quality: Cool modern design

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo

Boutique Chic on Madison Avenue

Very efficient and smooth check in. Just show them the printouts from your internet reservation and a few minutes later you're in your room. It's a cosy little gem and rooms are pretty compact, comfortable and well done. Bathroom products were by Aveda. Nice! Good breakfast too.

Unique Quality: Very understated contemporary elegance and laid back chic. Just a stone's throw away from the Empire State Building.

Directions: The Express Reservation website is also great for finding hotels at all ranges and prices in NYC.

More about Hotel Roger Williams

The Roger Williams Hotel was wonderful....

A group of teachers made the trip to New York to see a fellow teacher in her play. We wanted something close, comfortable, clean and within our budget. After looking many hours on the internet I found the Roger Williams and they had an internet deal. As teachers we are really not into sharing a bathroom down the hall or sharing a bed as there were two men and two ladies so there were some stipulations on the rooms and the Roger Williams met these quirks perfectly. The price at $130 a night was great and the location was perfect to Broadway, the subway and the train. We were delighted in the survice and the helpful staff. There was a bit of a problem with communication with the valet parking but the desk clerk took care of it for us. I would definitely stay at the Roger Williams Hotel again and recommend it to all who make a triip to the Big Apple.

Incredible Vacation Rentals

by brewjohnson about m127 Residences

OMG. The m127 Residences are incredible. These are huge, beautifully decorated, super-stylish condos that were originally developed to be sold as condos, but since the real estate market deteriorated, the owners decided to turn them into luxury vacation rentals. I can't tell you how nice these places are. Some highlights:

1. Each unit has dedicated access via elevator (you get in the elevator at the bottom, you wave your key, and when the elevator opens, you're at your unit).
2. My unit was 2 bedrooms, with a huge modern kitchen, a huge sitting area and windows looking out onto Madison Ave., and 2 huge, beautiful bathrooms.
3. The decor is seriously stylish and modern (very high end).
4. Unlike most vacation rentals, the m127 residences are loccated next door to the Hotel Roger Williams (a very nice, boutique hotel) and staying at m127 permits you to use the hotel's facilities (gym, concierge, breakfast, check-in, etc.).

That last point is a big plus. Unlike other vacation rentals, if you need something, if something goes wrong, etc., you can call down or walk over to the front desk of the hotel. That's huge.

This is one of the coolest places I've stayed in New York. Everything. Huge space. Super stylish. Amazing place.

helpful staff nice location

Our second visit here started with a reservation problem that was quickly corrected. Please have your confirmation information available.
The entire staff was helpful all weekend and the room was fine for the cost.It was a busy valentines weekend but we never seemed hassled. We enjoy the surrounding area and love many of the nearby restaurants and bars. Explore for those nice spots.

Great Manhatten Choice

by TripAdvisor Member Dolly123

I've been to NYC at least 15 times; during my last stay I was at the Roger Williams - my favorite hotel so far. For the average tourist, it's a great choice. The prices are very reasonable (almost cheap!) for NYC; take a look at their web site - they offer some fantastic prices!! Check-in: quick, efficient and friendly (the nicest hotel staff I've ever run across). Room: adequate size (a little bigger than the NYC average); clean; nicely decroated. Bathroom: small (par for NYC); good water pressure; bizarre shower (no shower curtain - just half a glass wall, water gets on the floor, so be sure to have extra towels. Why do architects/hotel designers think this half-glass wall stuff is a good idea???? Obviously, they've never actually used a shower like this. And this is the 3rd one I've run into in less than a year (also in Norway and Belgium). Breakfast: free with room (RARE for NYC); pastries, cheeses, bagels, muffins; cappuccino machine (free and open 24 hrs for guests of the hotel - I had 4-5 cups per day). Special requests: I travelled with a group of very demanding women - and the hotel met every one of their requests - quickly and with a smile on their faces; the doormen offered execellent service and hailed cabs without being asked. I've stayed at big chains in NYC (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton) and I've stayed at small boutique hotels ... but I will return to the Roger Williams.

Go here now!

After careful consideration I decided to take my girlfriend on a long break to NY. I had never been to the States before and did not want to book a package deal so took time in selecting a hotel. After searching through expedia and tripadvisor we eventually decided we liked the look of the RW. Some great reviews mixed with some fussy people who are obviously used to the Plaza! We have been in various hotels in Britain and I would compare the décor and service to that of an Apex we stayed in on Edinburgh’s grassmarket. I think the reason we got this so reasonable ($180 a night) was because of its location. Some NY locals we spoke to said it was ‘out of the way’. A bit hard to believe as it was right next to fifth avenue and around the corner from the Empire State Building! A 5 minute walk to Broadway and a 15 to times square.

Arriving at JFK we got a taxi no problem straight to the Roger Williams. Our first time in the US and the weather was unusually warm for April. After half an hours drive you see the city in the background and what a sight.
On arriving at our hotel I noticed the smart glass windows of the foyer and could see the grand piano through the window. It was early evening and a porter came straight to the taxi to greet us. He took our luggage into the foyer on a trolley while we checked in. One thing I noticed was the feeling that you were in a valley driving through Manhattan. You could not see anything but the trademark grid of streets and speeding yellow cabs! This was to prove to our advantage as we did not really know where we were once at the RW. For 180 bucks we had one of the five Penthouse suites! Our own private terrace and one of the quietest rooms in NY. Once we checked in we were escorted into the room by a very excited and helpful porter. He led us out onto our terrace and told us to look up to our left. Right there was the most beautiful sight you could imagine. The Empire State Building in all its glory! Only a stones throw away from our bedroom. A simply stunning sight and totally breath taking with a view straight along Madison Ave and 31st. If you are lucky enough to have a penthouse the view of the ESB at night will put a smile on anyone’s face.

The room itself was modern in design (much like any Apex) and had a massive TVand king size bed which was extra comfy. The bathroom wasn’t too small and had a great shower. On our first day in our excitement we accidently snapped the cord for the blind on the patio door. One of the blinds was electric and another to put the room in darkness. As we were going out for a wander we just handed the cord into reception and was fixed by the time we got back. The girl at reception couldn’t have been more helpful and was so apologetic. Exploring NY was one of the best 5 days of my life and will return very soon for my second visit. I wouldn’t think twice about booking the RW again as it was all we could have asked for.

The mezzanine had constant free coffe/ tea and iced water 24/7. At breakfast time however it could become very busy with guests reading their NY times and munching bagels. Again we were lucky in the respect we could grab a tray and take our bagels or cereal etc up on to the terrace and enjoy the view in traditional NY style. We simply didn’t want to leave this room but in such an amazing city it had to be done. The following evening we left for a meal and were greeted by the floating sounds of a girl employed by RW playing the grand piano. Yet another beautiful moment in this hotel.

With respect to location this hotel wasn’t on times square but it showed. We were around the corner from the ESB which was a base for the city tour buses. A hop on and off ticket for under $50 (valid 24 hours) is a must for seeing all of Manhattan. Living in Glasgow I use the underground system daily and have been on the London equivalent several times. None of that prepared me for the NY version however! I would compare the subway to a more complicated rail network. If you are going to use the subway please have a good look at a map and see which number of train stops at your required destination. After getting on at Battery Park we ended up in Brooklyn one stop later!

Summing up the Roger Williams I would say go there if you get the chance. I used expedia to get a quote and it was $400 more expensive than booking through the companies actual website. Search in google for their on site and you can make reservations on a credit card without paying a penny until you leave. The price you are quoted there is what you pay! I requested a romantic room and was not disappointed. Coupled with a late night horse drawn carriage ride around central park it was indeed a romantic experience.

Staff were more than helpful all of the time and couldn’t be more friendly to tourists. In and around NY itself shop staff in general were so pleasant and far from pushy. They seemed so pleased that you were coming to visit their home. Walking home at night we did not find intimidating of scary in one bit. I felt more at home in NY than in some areas of Glasgow! This city has everything and I could go on even more. I would be happy for anyone considering this hotel to contact me via email to prove im not an employee of the RW!

Comments