43 West 32nd Street, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Rated 15% higher but also costs 22% more than other 2 star hotels

• nancy531's Profile Photo

Great Value and Great Location

We needed room for four for a girls weekend in NYC. I reserved a suite at the Stanford for $199 a night. Later when some other girls decided to join us, my friend reserved a normal double double room for $189. The double double was small and had no real windows which made it a little creepy. However, the suite was huge with big windows and lots of room for us to all hang out in. The rooms were clean and even though it wasn't luxury - it was definately one of the largest I have ever stayed in in NY. It was definately a great value. The block of 32nd between 5th and 6th is called 'little korea' but it's pretty much like any other block in wonderfully diverse Manhattan. The staff was helpful in suggesting restaurants and other amenities in the area. The only thing I can complain about is that when my friend was having a gall bladder attack and we needed to get a ride to the emergency room the doorman asked a "car for hire" that was sitting outside how much they would charge to get us there. We were quoted $25 which I laughed at because I know that a cab was going to cost around $5 seeing as the hospital was only 6 blocks away. It kind of annoyed me that the doorman involved himself in that. There are a lot of tourists that don't know how cheap the cabs are and may take them up on it and I don't think that is a good way for the doorman to treat the guests. Especially since it was an emergency.

Unique Quality: Even though I didn't take advantage of it - they had a commplementary breakfast in the restaurant on the second floor and if you don't eat there - you could grab baked goods at the bakery /deli that has a door off the lobby. The outstanding characteristics I have already mentioned - large suites for the price and a central location. One block to Penn Station (Amtrak, LI Railroad and a major subway hub) one block to the Harold Square subway station and great shopping within walking distance (including Macy's).

Directions: From Penn Station walk out the 7th Ave exit and go East on 32nd. From Grand Central take the 4,5,6 one block downtown to 33rd Street and walk West to 6th and 32nd.

More about Hotel Stanford

Great hotel

This is a great hotel and I would recommend it highly to anyone travelling to New York. I shared a triple room (one queen size, one king size bed) with 2 friends - the room was clean, tidy and spacious. The complimentary breakfast was also a definite bonus, and the staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating.

However, the best thing about the Hotel Stanford is its location, extremely close to the Empire State Building, Macy's and excellent shopping on 34th St. There is a Subway station almost directly outside and plenty of eating places nearby.

I would definitely stay here again - incredibly good value for money.

Excellent Value! Excellent Location!

I must say that I really enjoyed staying in this hotel. The location is excellent, I actually could see a part of Broadway from my window. The subway is just a few steps away.
The room was big and the hotel management kindly allowed us to stay 4 adults and two children in the same room making this hotel an excellent value for us. Our room was clean and had a fridge which was good to cool soft drinks in.
The breakfast which is included in the price was nothing special - bagels, corn flakes and doughnuts, but satisfying enough. The hotel staff let us leave our luggage in the lobby after check-out even though it occupied alot of space. All in all I was very pleased with Hotel Stanford!

very satisfied

I was very satisfied to Stanford Hotel. It was clean and frienly. The room was not even so small that I expected. It was a good place to sleep in New York and the price was okey. I will recommend this hotel.

only if price is your main concern,,

by TripAdvisor Member maryanne62

I did not stay here, but I want to look at a room this past weekend, as I had resrvations for an upcoming weekend in December. I was very disappointed upon looking over the room, it was a good size, and the bathroom did look very new and clean, but overall the Hotel was run down, and much more appropriate for college students on a budget, rather than 4 women on a relaxing shopping weekend. Even for the $259 rate for a suite, I could not bring my girlfriends here to stay, as they are spoiled from our recent stay at the San Carlos, and prior to that the Muse, this Hotel is no where near the quality of those, so now I am booking another Hotel for that weekend.

Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member DaleCat

We were two ladies going to New York for the first time. I reserved the room at Stanford after checking prices, location, etc. We were very happy with the choice. For those folks whose reviews were not positive, I can only say that you expected too much. This is a nice, clean, friendly place, close to many attractions and subway. The room was small, which we expected. We left the window open for awhile to cool it off, the thermostat was not working properly. The free breakfast was everything we could want: bagels, toast, donuts, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee and tea. We will stay here again.

great location and value for money.

four girls on our first visit to ny. the hotel room was excellent, large and kept clean. we had two kingsize beds which were comfortable with the maid tidying daily. we did have to ask for four towels daily as they only left two but they did so after we left a note. the only inconvience was that the room remained very warm at all times. the lobby staff were also friendly, helpful and very courteous. the inclusive breakfast is another plus and adequate to get you off to a good day.

couldn't ask for a better location, with metro on your doorstep and penn station a 3 min walk as well. shoppers will be delighted with the position, macy's and empire state building within 2 blocks. the hotel seems to be located in a korean influenced street.

would definetly recommend for those who want a relatively inexpensive hotel that is comfortable and has a great location. would use this hotel again.

Clean basic rooms - good location

by TripAdvisor Member ShellyUK

This was our 2nd stay at the Stanford & we are already considering booking our 3rd. The hotel is basic. The rooms are clean. We had a twin room - plenty of room. Our friends had a double room along with a sofabed. The rooms had tv, video, hairdryer, alarm clock, telephone, ensuite bathroom, safe. At the end of the day we would rather spend money on our entertainment rather than a luxurious hotel room that you spend very little time in.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member C.S.JLeeds

Stayed here 9th Feb thru 13th Feb 2005. This hotel is in a great location for first time visitors who want to see all the attractions in a few days. The rooms were clean and average sized. The only downside to it was the size of the windows, they were tiny and this meant the rooms were very warm.
Staff were exceptional! Helpful and courteous at all times. If I was on the same budget (£80 per night) I'd stay here again.

A great deal

Just got back from staying two nights at the Stanford. What a great little find in the heart of NYC. I traveled alone so I only needed a single. The room was a decent enough size for one person, but what impressed me the most was the cleanliness of the place. Not a speck of dust anywhere, the bathroom was spotless, and the furnishings, though not modern, were clean and comfortable. I even had a refrigerator in the room--something I've usually paid extra for in more modern hotels.

The neighborhood is fine, just across the street from the Empire State building, and within walking distance to Penn Station and subways. As a female, I felt safe, even walking around at night. It is a busy area so there are always tourists about.

No room service or big restaurant attached, but there are plenty of places to eat all over the neighborhood. Certainly can't be beat for the price and location. I will definitely stay there on future trips to NYC!

Comments