1295 Madison Avenue, New York City, New York, 10128, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Upper East Side Boutique Hotel

Very elegant hotel in a mostly residential area. Their website indicated Beyonce Knowles did a magazine photo shoot here.

They have special discounts for certain dates and times of the year. Expect to pay around $250-300 a night, continental breakfast included.

Unique Quality: This is a good choice if your visit will concentrate on the 'Museum Mile' on Fifth Ave.

Directions: Between 92 and 93 Streets, Upper East Side

More about Hotel Wales

Wales Hotel is the Best

by TripAdvisor Member VetteTeach53

I spent a week at the Wales Hotel in July 2006, and couldn't have made a better choice. Everything was first rate. The room was clean, beautifully decorated, and quite comfortable. There were many people available to immediately cater to my every whim. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I love this place, and will definitely make it my "home-away-from-home" when I visit New York City again. I've been all over the world, and have stayed in a great many hotels, and this one was the best. It was recommended by my friend who lives in the city. She has her family and friends stay here, every time they come to New York for a visit, and everyone raves about it. It's really a well-managed hotel with a great deal of attention to detail.

Loved the Wales

by TripAdvisor Member THM

To Whom It May Concern: My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Wales in Feb. of 2006. We found the staff to be courteous, and very helpful in choosing places to eat and to go for entertainment other than the play we were in the city to see (Spamalot). The hotel is not a new hotel so the rooms are quaint but very comfortable and charming. We heard of the hotel from someone we met in St. Barts. She is from Connecticut. The neighborhood is quiet and convenient to Central Park and the major museums in the city. When we return to New York we plan to stay at The Wales again. Yours truly, Don Chard

A Small Treasure

by TripAdvisor Member Leoknee289

I've always stayed at large hotels when visiting NY. This time I had a function to attend next to the Hotel Wales so I figured I would give it a try. It's distinctive style, quality of service and refined attention to detail has made this the hotel of my choice going forward. The hotel staff takes a special interest in your needs durring your stay. Having stayed at many different hotels in NY, I attribute this to the style of management from Bob Holmes. His expectations of service seem to go above his and his staffs job responsibilites. I would definitely recommend staying at the Hotel Wales.

Thanks again for a great stay,

Treasure Island, Fl

nice staff, free coffee, poor hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rowly91

We stayed at the Hotel Wales in early August. Andrew, at the front desk was very nice. Our room was tiny, the ceiling was cracking plaster. When we arrived at the hotel they had no hot water. My husband ordered the wireless internet access but found that it never worked. He spoke with Andrew about the problem, and Andrew promised to send a "bridge" cable, it never arrived. When we checked out they had not removed the charge for the internet from the bill. After checking with the manager, it was taken off the bill. As other reviews state, the hallways are not air-conditioned. I requested a non-smoking, non-pet floor and that request either was not honored or a patron chose not to pay attention to the rule. It was nice to have 24 hour access to coffee. The second floor lounge also had free "continental breakfast" in the morning. This consisted of stale muffins and croissants. The web site boasts free water, that would be one free bottle of water, ours was missing from the room. We had to ask for it. The safe in the room did not work on check-in and after inspection of the safe once it was fixed, I found that the "safe" was not bolted down to anything. You were welcome to put any valuables in what amounted to a heavy, mobile box. I would not reccomend this hotel.

Uptown Gem

by TripAdvisor Member danseuse

My usual, favorite NYC hotel being fully booked, I scrambled to find another quiet, upscale (but not exorbitantly so) place to rest my bones at the end of another happily frantic business trip to the Big Apple. A trusted friend suggested the Hotel Wales, on Madison @ 92nd. Never heard of it, I said. You'll love it, he replied: small, quiet, perfectly appointed, great service. I took his advice and booked in. Knowing my friend wouldn't lead me astray, I expected a nice hotel. I didn't expect a Great Hotel!
It was, in the best tradition of "roadway inns", like home away from home. The staff cordial and efficient without fawning or fussing; the place spotless; beautifully appointed; a lovely welcome basket of delicious goodies. The room was small but perfect for my needs. It struck me that the hotel caters to real
travelers - those who enjoy privacy and comfort and fine service.
I do want to mention assistant manager, Bob Holmes, whose quiet, caring efficiency ensured that my first stay at the Wales would by no means by my last!

Bad things also come in small packages

by TripAdvisor Member mbgandco

Tiny rooms, very loud ineffective air-conditioning and extremely over-priced are the main features of this quirky hotel.
The positives are very few and perhaps the best feature is the 2nd floor lounge where the continental self help breakfast is laid out.
Other than being convenient for the museums, the position is not for holiday makers.
There are a number of good restaurants in the locality and the area is one of the best things about the hotel

I think it's great

by TripAdvisor Member PDXNYC

I lived in New York City for much of my life and since moving, I've stayed here each of the last 4 summers and once in January of 2006. It's a fun, funky hotel. I must admit the regular rooms look tiny, but I've always done well with the penthouse or the suite which is a lot cheaper than some of the hotels on Fifth Avenue nearby.

The help was friendly. There is a free computer in the large salon on the second floor but it sometimes is tied up. There is a $1 phone connection fee even for local numbers that I find annoying. It's like living in an old, pre-war NYC apartment building so some of the fraying and noise outside is just the way it is in New York. We always were quite comfortable there although the lack of air-conditioning in the hallways is stifling in the summer.

The restaurants on the block (about 5 of them) are ordinary and overpriced. However you just have to walk a few blocks to the east to get to something better. You are one block from Museum Mile and Central Park. There most definitely is free espresso despite what someone wrote here and there always has been. One could stay midtown but then there would be even more traffic and an impersonalness at the hotels down there. Also, you'd still need to come uptown to the museums.

A "Wale" Of A Good Time!

by TripAdvisor Member jrsolo

The European charm, old world decor, and friendly and helpful staff made our weekend in Manhattan a wonderful experience. The hospitality room with continuous coffee and continental breakfast together with computer access and morning newspaper made for a warm and cozy atmosphere. It was a pleasant start to our day. A short walk to Central Park, several museums and fine restaurants were added perks. We hope to come back next year and have recommended the Wales to many friends.

Do not stay in a standard room

by TripAdvisor Member Penetanguisheen

My husband and I stayed at the Wales and had booked a standard room. When we arrived late at night the room had no pillows, the bathroom had not been cleaned, plaster was cracked, tile was missing on the bathroom wall, furniture was very scratched and banged up, bathroom had no door!, the in-window A/C, 2 ft. from bed, blew cold air right on the bed and was extremely noisy. The room was miniscule. I am well aware that rooms in NY can be small, but this was definitely not worth the money.
***On a positive note...the next day we complained and were moved to a very beautiful suite. The front desk staff was nice and the rest of our stay was great. I can't say enough good things about the suite. It was in good repair, clean and decorated beautifully. I would stay here again but only in a suite.

New Years Eve in New York

by jmschief

Hi,

I'm looking to come over to New York from the UK over New Years! I've only been to California before so first things first, what's the best airport to fly into, JFK or Newark?

Also, as a first timer - I'd heard that Manhattan East Side was a good place to try and find accomodation and base ourselves, any recommendations?

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'money's no object' as it's supposed to be a special treat but on the other hand, I don't want to break the bank!!

We're looking to spend 5 nights from the 29th to the 2nd which I'm hoping will be long enough to see the sights!?

Cheers

Jason

RE: New Years Eve in New York

by zuriga

Go with the best airfare you can find.. JFK and Newark are about equally far from Manhattan, although I think it's easier getting into the city from JFK. At Christmas time, everything is hectic and busy so just relax and enjoy the trip. The East Side is definitely the more posh area to stay in and things will cost you more there than in some other neighborhoods. www.quikbook.com often has some good hotel deals. Places like the Hotel Wales at 92nd and Madison are very nice.. or the Shoreham which is more centrally located in mid-town on W. 56th near Fifth Avenue. If you book way ahead, On the Avenue is a neat, boutique sort of hotel on the Upper West Side.. good neighborhood, near the Tube and pretty good rates. Have a great time... think snow.

RE: New Years Eve in New York

by 10028

You'll find everything very expensive then, not many bargains. The thing about the east side is that it's less convenient, transit-wise. Believe me, I live on the upper east side, but I've got a bad case of west side envy!

Most first timers stay Midtown West, which includes the Times Square / Theater District. If you intend to go to Times Square to see the ball drop, you've got to either be there by around 11 a.m. and stand in a pen all day (no toilet breaks!), or stay in one of the hotels there that provide a pass to the festivities. Great reports on the Doubletree Suites right on Times Square. Also the Renaissance. The Novotel is a couple of blocks up, with a Times Square view from a terrace. They're likely to be a bit cheaper, too. If you're not concerned with passes to the New Year's celebrations, the other nearby budget hotels are the Belvedere, Portland Square, Comfort Inn. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Upper West Side, just 10 minutes from Times Square, but an upscale residential neighborhood with wonderful shops and restaurants, near Central Park, Riverside Park, Lincoln Center, Museum of Natural History. Budget hotels include the Beacon, Belleclaire, Milburn, Comfort Inn Central Park. You should compare reviews on all the hotels on www.tripadvisor.com -- very reliable reviews.

Comments