Iroquois Hotel

49 W 44th St, btwn 5th & 6th Aves, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

The Iroquois
Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Best Mid-town Hotel

A lovely, small boutique hotel right in the heart of the theater district, close to shopping and many excellent restaurants. The concierge service was wonderful. Both Angelic and Nick were very helpful with dinner reservations and other information. Everyone was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and convenient.
    The rooms are not large, but are quiet and very tastefully decorated. The bathroom is convenient, the beds are comfortable and the windows open. The free WiFi is a nice perk.

Unique Quality: The entire staff go the extra mile to accomodate their guests . My husband is border-line diabetic and has to watch his sugar intake. He prefers oatmeal made with apple juice for breakfast. (no sugar). Oatmeal is not on the breakfast room menu, but when he asked and indicated we would be staying for a while, they got some oatmeal and made it for him every morning of our stay!

Directions: Theater District

• Best Mid-town Hotel

Directions: Theater District

• chad-roscoe's Profile Photo

James Dean Slept Here, & So Did I...

Well, we got moved to this hotel, when our original booking was flooded, so we got it for a lower price, a great perk!
    It had small, old fashioned elegant rooms that were very quiet, cosy, and snuggly for cold spring days. The location was good, safe, and fairly local to things you'd want to see. They give you a discount on parking, which means it runs you about $40/day! Do not drive to NYC if you can help it. The traffic is not so bad, but the parking costs more than the hotel! (kidding, but not too much)
    Staff was very accomodating. Hotel has everything you need. I would stay there again.

Unique Quality: It's a tiny hotel. Most bedrooms are much smaller than they appear on the website.
    Small reception, lobby, rooms, etc., but very nicely done.
    Highlights?
    James Dean slept there! More than once even!
    Apparently it was his favorite hotel in NYC, and, eventually, the only place in town he would stay.
    It may be mine too :)

Directions: West 44th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues

More about Iroquois Hotel

Unparalleled experience at the Iroquois

I recently hosted a 95th Birthday party for my grandfather at the Iroquois and its fantastic restaurant Triomphe. Our guests literally ranged from 3 to 95 years old, and the hotel was a great fit for all. The staff were totally accomodating about everything we needed and the many extra touches only enhanced our experience. From the junior Frette robes for my little nieces to the complimentary bottles of wine for the more mature guests, they provided all the necessities for a memorable family weekend. And the comfortableness of the beds at the Iroquois will now be a recurring topic of conversation among my family!

And the dinner far exceeded our expectations! The food is outstanding, and truly stands out in a city known for great restaurants. All the guests were surprised by just how good the meal was. My family (a food loving one!) will be talking about the apple caramel bread pudding for some time... but only after it's done talking about the scallops appetizer with foie gras and porcini mushrooms. And I'd confidently put the filet mignon up against any I've ever had. Each bite was a distinct enjoyment.

My family comes to NY quite a bit, and I know they'll always first consider the Iroquois when looking for a hotel. Most importantly, my grandfather loved it all. He stayed there Saturday as well (even though he lives on the Upper Eastside). As a lifelong New Yorker who has experienced it all in this city (including storied business lunches at the Algonquin), Pop had never heard of the Iroquois or Triomphe. But since then, he's been raving about both and smiles widely when talking about the weekend. He keeps saying, "We have to go back to Triomphe for dinner!"

For the convenience offered, the comfort of the rooms, the attentive staff, the amazing food, the luxurious but homey decor, the excellent value... you will not find a better hotel in NY City.

VERY Small Luxury Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JimSonomaCounty_CA

I recently spent a total of 7 nights at The Iroquois Hotel. Even the "luxury" rooms are VERY small. Carpets and upholstery spotted, furniture not in the best condition...disappointing and certainly NOT for a standard for a member of the "Small Luxury Hotels" group. Reservations department refused to make good on a Guest Referal Program they "offer". Good, attentive staff at the hotel bar. There are lots of better places to stay in New York.

Second Time Was Different

by TripAdvisor Member Johnji

This was our second visit to the Iroquois and it was an entirely different experience. We were regulars at the Algonquin but got tired of the problematic heating and AC and the fact that some rooms (and suites) are dogs for the money -- notwithstanding the old hotel's historical charms. Friends had tried the nearby Iroquois so we gave it a try in 2003 and really loved it. We had an east facing room with a wonderful view of the Chrysler Buildling at night.
We just returned (November 2004) and the second visit was a totally different experience. The room we were given (1107) was below a compressor that roared all the time. I wear a hearing aid but could hear the hum of the machine even with the aid off. We asked for a room change but was told the hotel was full but a change might be accommodated the next day. They did move us the next morning and the rest of our stay was more-or-less fine -- a pipe broke and there was no hot water early Friday evening, and one of the two small elevators also stopped working and this created long waits trying to get out or back to our room in the company of other irritated patrons.
The Iroquois (like the Algonquin) is an old building with limited capability to provide the amenities of more modern hotels.
I don't know if we will go back or spend the extra $100 a night for a large room with working facilities.

Wonderful little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member joannnet

We spent a week at the Iroquois over Christmas and New Years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rooms are comfortable (and larger than similarly priced ones at the Royalton or Millenium Broadway in the same area). Also, being a small, older building, it has elegant touches such as marble baths, high ceilings, etc. We were also pleased with the comfort level--plenty of hot water anytime, thick towels, bathrobes in the room, etc.

There is also a fitness room with finnish sauna on the third floor, which we LOVED. Staff were friendly and helpful without fawning. Location can't be beat--we walked everywhere except one day spent at uptown museums, but the subway is 2 blocks away, and several bus lines run up and down 6th and 7th aves.

We would definitely return to the Iroquois!

My *favorite* NYC hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Portia

A superb location on 44th Street midway between Grand Central Station & Times Square, next door to the Alconquin; better-than-average furnishings in soothing tones, Frette linens, heavy terrycloth bathrobes; rooms have a CD player/clock radio & a desk with adequate work space & lighting -- and you can open the windows, a plus in my book; an excellent fitness room & sauna; and a fine staff which is professional, attentive & courteous, but not obsequious.

I have stayed in every type of room offered here. Yes, the non-suite guestrooms are cozy by out-of-towner standards [averaging 250-275 square feet], but this is Manhattan. You can pay much more for even less space, comfort, and service elsewhere, e.g., the W hotels. Indeed, one can often book a suite at the Iroquois -- with a not-at-all-cramped living room doored off from the graciously-sized bedroom & a bath which includes both a soaking tub and separate, walk-in shower -- for less than a standard room at many better known hotels. Plus, all the rooms at the Iroquois have marble baths [combined tub/shower in non-suite rooms] and are well sound-proofed; I have never heard noise from the rooms around me or the hallways. If you are a very light sleeper, however, you don't want a room which faces onto 44th Street.

The Iroquois was first suggested to me several years by the folks at Express Reservations (a great booking service by the way) as being especially appropriate for a businesswoman traveling alone. They were right; I've always felt secure & well cared for there, even at the bar where a solo woman will feel quite comfortable & enjoy having an after-theatre nightcap. And it's been a wonderful place for weekend visits with friends from out of town.

In short, I recommend it highly.

Lovely Hotel - Superb location

by TripAdvisor Member Nik

We had a wonderful stay at the Iroquois for 4 nights at the beginning of November. The hotel is clean and well decorated throughout, with very pleasant and helpful staff. Superb location - on west 44th Street between 5th & 6th Avenue next to the Sofitel and Algonquin hotels. A 3 minute walk takes you to the heart of Times Square or 5th Avenue, with many other sites within easy walking distance. The rooms were a little on the small side (but I understand most in New York are) but the bed was so comfortable and the marble bathroom equipped with Molton Brown toiletries - it was a pleasure to come back from a day's shopping/site seeing for a soak or just to relax. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it also looked very nice. (There is a diner just a couple of doors away that has an excellent menu, especially for breakfast).

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip and would recommend it to everybody!

Not great for the money

by TripAdvisor Member V Traveler

We stayed at the Iroquois for a week in July. Great location, but small room and a view of a brick wall 5 feet away - don't be fooled by their web site pictures showing a great view. The staff were great at check-in, and they were very helpful with restaurant recommendations. Biggest complaint was the Do Not Disturb sign. Apparently we triggered the electronic sign somehow, but it was never noticeable to us when leaving or entering the room. So for the final 2 1/2 days of our stay the room was never made up. We ignored it the first day and figured that we must have been in the room when they came to make it up. The second day we didn't get back to the room until late, after the shows, and found that all towels were still wet and nothing was cleaned. We called the front desk, where they told us that our Do Not Disturb sign was on. I looked and looked and couldn't figure out where it was. Anyway, they said it was too late to get us any clean towels - couldn't they have taken some from a vacant room? Overall disappointed for the money we spent.

Is New York friendly?

by izzy467

Hi,
im just wondering is NYC a friendly city to visit? I know theres a sterotype that it isnt, but how true is this??

Re: Is New York friendly?

by nyc10025

I live in Manhattan, so maybe my opinion is biased. NYC is not like a small town where everybody says hello to each other. However, New Yorkers are always willing to help individuals with directions and tell you about their city. Also, when in a store or bar New Yorkers will usually be friendly when approached and happy that you are visiting. I know I am. Have a great time. Ken

Re: Is New York friendly?

by Nathalie_B

And here's my, unbiased, opinion! New York is the most wonderful city in the world. Long time ago I went there as a tourist and loved it! Later I returned to live and study there for 3 years.
Go and enjoy your stay. The stereotype was true maybe in 80's, not anymore!
Do I need to say more?

Have a great trip,
Nat

Re: Re: Is New York friendly?

by wctryltd

when i was little my parents used to talk about times square/new york city like some would talk about goblins and monsters (really) - i went back 2 years ago for a conference - stayed at the iroquois hotel - a few blocks from times square. Times square was bright - clean and there was a police car about every block. I went to a climbing gym within walking distance of times square - found the folks there to be as friendly as i've even found. New York CIty is an excellent place to visit.

have fun.

-bill

Re: Re: Is New York friendly?

by henry14

We visited NYC for the first time in November and were pleasantly surprised at just how friendly and helpful people were.

A chap did stop in the street to ask did we need directions (we must of looked a bit baffled!). Another day a construction worker was very helpful when we asked him about our route (and he recommended a good deli!).

On one of our days we also spent four hours in the company of a Big Apple Greeter. This is a organisation of volunteers who give up their time for free to show you around a neighbourhood, explain how the subway works or whatever it is you want to know. If you want a friendly introduction to the city I would highly recommend them. Website is at www.bigapplegreeter.org.

We will certainly return. Enjoy your visit.

Comments