Ivy Terrace

230 East 58th Street, New York City, New York, 10022, United States

More about Ivy Terrace

Ivy Terrace is a treat.

by TripAdvisor Member JRM99

We visit NYC once or twice a year and always enjoy staying at Ivy Terrace, a calm oasis in the city. Each charming room is unique, clean, and comfortable, with thoughtful details and amenities. Fix-your-own breakfast supplies are ample and the location has a neighborhood feel, while convenient to attractions and restaurants. A delightful experience !

Great escape weekend at The Ivy Terrace B & B

by TripAdvisor Member KandLBC

My husband and I had a wonderful time at The Ivy Terrace B & B in New York City September 2007. We wanted to have an escape weekend away from the kids to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed in the Ivy Suite which was so warm and inviting. It was beautifully decorated with plenty of space and the bed was very comfortable. We were also surprised how quiet it was when we went to sleep, considering this apartment is in the front of the building. Our favorite feature however was the terrace, we felt like real New Yorkers looking out onto 58th Street watching the people walk by. Having breakfast on the terrace in the morning was a real treat! The area is very safe and near lots of shopping. Our hostess Vinessa, and innkeeper Jeff, made sure that we had everything we needed, including fantastic suggestions on Broadway shows, restaurants, even where to go for a drink after the show. My husband and I definitely recommend Ivy Terrace B & B to help you feel “at home” in New York .

Sincerely,

Lily & Kevin Doyle

Wonderful get away to New York

by TripAdvisor Member newyork07

I travelled to New York with my two sisters for a week in June in celebration of my eldest sisters birthday. Vinessa and Jeff were so accomodating in every way.
They had ballons, flowers and a cake waiting on our arrival. The fridge was well supplied with many choices and ingredients to prepare our own breakfast & coffee each morning. The kitchen was very well equiped, full sized fridge, stove and microwave, we easily could have made all our meals there.
Jeff was very accomodating and restocked the fridge mid week, after conversing with us to see if we desired anything different for grocery supplies.
The Rose Room was the perfect accomodation, on our arrival and for the remainder of the trip we felt just like we were New Yorkers living in our own little flat.
The Rose room was so quaint, quiet and roomy, so much more than we could have hoped for. The antique bed was very comfortable and we slept like logs every night. The fouton also was very comfortable and my sister had no complaints.
We spent many evening enjoying our little terrace to the back of the building, We had beautiful weather so enjoyed the AC to cool our room down every night.
The Ivy Terrace B & B was surrounded by many restaurants and shops. The location was great and we had no problems getting around to all the attractions New York has to offer. We walked almost everywhere, even though there were plenty of yellow cabs on every street.
We all had a wonderful trip and would definitely recommend the Ivy Terrace B & B to anyone planning to visit New York City.
[--]

A home from home in the world's most exciting city

by TripAdvisor Member Travelfreak_7

If hotels aren't your favourite places and you want a sense of living as a New Yorker, be it ever so briefly, this "unhosted B & B" is the answer. I occupied the Ivy Suite, which, while smaller than the other studio apartments in this building in Midtown Manhattan had the supreme advantage of a terrace -- perfect for enjoying breakfast (all ingredients provided, including good coffee and something to make it in) and watching the passing show. Situated in a hugely convenient part of the city, part-residential, part commercial (a mere couple of blocks from Bloomingdales) and close to the 59th Str subway, Ivy Terrace has the supreme advantage of being in a quiet street, so sleep is possible for those who desire it in the 'City that never sleeps'. Decorated in quiet good taste, accommodation includes a large and supremely comfortable bed, sitting area complete with radio and television, air conditioning, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom with bath and shower and aforementioned terrace. Owner Vinessa Milandro has thought of everything including guide books, menus from local restaurants and a couple of novels in case you run out of reading matter. New York is my favourite city in the world, and a huge amount of my enjoyment of my most recent trip was coming back to the comfort of Ivy Terrace, where, from the moment I walked in, exhausted after 24 hours in transit , I felt at home.

Home from home in NYC

by TripAdvisor Member Unremarkable

Where to start? My parents and I planned to visit NYC in June this year - their first trip and my second. We wanted somewhere reasonably priced, conveniently located and not too scuzzy - a fairly tall order for Manhattan, I think most travellers will agree. Last time I visited was on my honeymoon and my husband and I divided our trip into three nights at a hostel-type hotel way up on 103rd Street and two nights at the Waldorf-Astoria (well, it was our honeymoon!), so I had a fairly good idea of what one has to pay for a decent abode in the Big Apple.

Or so I thought...

After some very friendly and informative communications with Vinessa at Ivy Terrace, we booked the Waverly room. Everything was taken care of. Our flight was going to arrive late? No problem: keys could be posted to us here in the UK. The keys (thanks to an inept postal service I hasten to add) didn't arrive on time? No problem: arrangements (and back-up arrangements) were made and we arrived weary and grouchy at 1.30am to find everything had gone to plan, beds were made up (including my very comfortable sofa bed), air-conditioning was switched on, breakfast provisions, tea (inc herbal), coffee (inc. decaf), juice, milk and more fruit than we could have eaten in a week were all waiting for us, along with clean, fresh, fluffy towels.

Grouchiness extinguished. We fell into comfortable beds and slept soundly until morning.

Other things of note:

1. The shower is out of this world. Do try all of the different settings - perfect for aching, travelled shoulders!!

2. The location is ideal. It's central enough to walk anywhere, but not in a noisy neighbourhood (forgive my Brit spelling, please!) and, importantly I think, feels like 'real' New York. It's not a touristy area, so you really feel at home. Subway lines are close. Taxis regularly pass.

3. In a city with so much to offer in the way of culinery experience, it is almost impossible to get through the food that is provided and I was ashamed at how little impact we made on the thoughtful provisions left for us. However, if you're slightly on a budget, you will not be disappointed.

4. You might find the noisy air-conditioning units around the building slightly annoying. Believe me, it's perfectly normal in Manhattan, at least from what I've experienced, so you just have to get used to it, I'm afraid. We even suffered in the Waldorf! Just take some ear-plugs.

So, all in all, Ivy Terrace comes thoroughly and highly recommended from this visitor. I will certainly stay there everytime I visit New York now. It's a home from home. Give it a try!

Home Away From Home

by TripAdvisor Member JudgeJill

What can I say other than the title. This was definately home away from home for me. The only reason I don't mark it as excellent was due to the renovation of the townhouse next door. A little noisy and dusty.
As to the Ivy Terrace itself...WONDERFUL! The fridge is fully stocked with breakfast goodies and Jeff was marvelous in answering all of my questions. He even had the roses I had requested there as promised. The room was larger than I had anticipated and very comfortable. The neighborhood is just that..a neighborhood, which allowed me to get a true flavor of the City.
Unfortunately for my partner and me, she became quite ill the second day we arrived and had to undergo emergency surgery which resulted in a 12 day hospital stay for her. The hospital was about a mile away from the IT and I walked to the hosp in the morning and back at night. I never felt like it was unsafe to do so and was glad that I had my "home" to go back to each evening.
Vinessa and Jeff are the best at making one feel at home and welcome.
I plan on returning to NYC soon and will stay at the Terrace. You cannot go wrong if what you want is something you cannot get at a chain hotel, that feeling that you are experiencing as closely as possible what it would be like to live in the City.
Thank you to Vinessa and Jeff for all you did for us during our stay there.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member gfeek

We booked two rooms (Ivy and Rose) at the beginning of August for family coming into town for our wedding.

These rooms are large, spacious, comfortable, quiet (although we were quite loud one evening with more than 20 people in one room and no one complained) and stocked with food and other amenities.

The owners went out of their way to help us with everything from an air matress to getting the keys to our relatives.

This is exquisite, personalized service in a wonderful location at less than you will pay to stay in a hotel.

I cannot recommend this place enough to anyone visiting New York.

Anyone for curry

by TripAdvisor Member colindkavanagh

Myself and my partner stayed in the Waverly for a week in August. Overall I would say the experience was favourable. The room was very spacious and nicely deocarated. The location was very central just a stones throw from Bloomingdales and the subway was nearby as well. Theres a lot of restaurants beside the building, mainly Indian. A good aspect of the stay was that the room is equipped with a lot of the little things you tend to need but never bring when youre away.

A couple of concerns were the noisy air conditioner, its one of the loudest I've experienced and is not very effective and brings in a smell of Indian food from outside throughout the day. There was a second air conditioner which did not work. There was a lot of food in the fridge when we arrived but not enough to last a full week for two people, in fairness we probably could have asked for it to be refilled but expected at the same time it would be checked. The room is a little more dusty than I would have expected, the main surfaces are clean however. Also theres no way from contacting the hosts from the room unless you use your cellphone as the phone in the room only allow local landline calls.

Even with the above I would still recommend this place to stay, it wouldnt be my first choice in NY having stayed elsewhere but would definitely consider going back. It has the potential for a five rating but I'm giving it a four based on the above, all things I feel could easily be fixed.

What a lovely find!

by TripAdvisor Member VanG66

My friend and I stayed in the Waverly Room for 3 nights. Location is fantastic, we are normally down the financial end of Manhattan so this made a welcome change! Ideal for shopping on Lexington Avenue and with Bloomies just around the corner, really great.

The room was lovely and Jeff had set up the sofa bed for us and there was still plenty of room for the two of us. The fridge was very well stocked, in fact we did not do it justice. Incidently, we did arrive an hour later than given to Jeff and as we had no way of contacting him when we arrived at the B&B we felt a bit stuck, only by luck another guest helped us out and Jeff was in fact in the building. It could be worth having a mobile we can contact to text or for them to text us, not sure what we would have done as there was no specific button to press outside the door for attention as no one lives on site. However, all worked out fine and Jeff very kindly let us drop our luggage off in our room before check in time.

The only tiny slight concern is that the room could do with a really good dust around skirting and behind furniture, but thats just me, I know that time is sometimes of the essence in this type of accommodation. However, the sheets were lovely, crisp and clean and a plentiful supply of fluffy towels were great.

Upstairs were quite noisy for us too, not sure if they realised that their every step could be heard by us at 5/6 in the morning. We in fact heard nothing from the Indian below. there is a fantastic Italian a couple of doors down, highly recommend it, Bar Vetro, attentive service and delicious food.

We had to leave at 5am for our flight so we hope we weren't noisy, having just commented on the above, its something to consider if you intend on having heavy baggage, getting ours down two flights of stairs quietly was a challenge.

We will definately stay here again for sure, in fact we are booking the same sort of time next year for a longer stay. A very authentic experience, can't wait!

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member ollybee

My best friend and I stayed in the Zen Room for 6 nights and absolutely loved it. The room was really big, with a lovely comfy bed and lots of storage. The fridge was stocked with milk, juice, yoghurt, eggs, muffins and bagels - yum!

I was a bit worried about the three flights of stairs, but they actually werent too bad, even after a long day. I wouldnt recommend this room to anyone who has problems with mobility though.

We also really loved the location - it was situated close to lots of great shops and attractions, but the road itself was quiet, residential and safe. Out of all the areas we visited in Manhattan, this was the one we felt we'd most want to stay in.

All in all this was a fantastic choice and we really didnt want to leave!

Bethesda FountainBethesda Fountain

wowwow

yessss!yessss!

Yeah Jack & Coke!!!Yeah Jack & Coke!!!

Anybody from london, england Going to new york??????

by Cavv

I am travelling to new york alone on 22nd July 2010 till 29th July(7days) and was wondering if there were any people in the same position or any groups travelling from london around the same time? I'll be staying in Times square.

Also for the locals, where is the best place to hang out an interact with new people?

Thanks

Re: Anybody from london, england Going to new york??????

by lynnehamman

Check out the website : TRAVEL BUDDY- NEW YORK (you can google it)

It is possible to interact with people- if you explained what your interests are, it would help. (eg Sightseeing, Music, Clubs etc etc).

Are you staying in hotel- backpack hostel homestay ?????

What age group??

Re: Anybody from london, england Going to new york??????

by Cavv

I am 28yrs old, and am staying in a Hotel.

Thankyou i will look on travel buddy

Comments