Jazz on the Park Hostel

36 West 106th Street, @ Central Park West, New York City, New York, 10025, United States

Good For No Data
  • They Didn't Have a Room for Us!

They overbooked by 50 people the night we had a reservation for. Staff said they had known for 24 hours about this problem and didn't feel like calling to tell us we had no place to sleep. They told us to go back on the streets. Staff was HORRIBLE--they didn’t refund our deposit or help us find other accommodations. We spent the whole day wandering around NYC with all our luggage, trying to find a place to stay. Every hotel/hostel in the city was booked because there were special events going on. We had to call a friend in New Jersey and stay with them. Most irresponsible way to handle customer service. The staff didn't even apologize.

• UTKCoffee's Profile Photo

Total Crap!

I cannot recommend this hostel to anyone! The Jazz Hostels website says that check-in starts at 2p.m., but they would not check me in until 3p.m. I made a reservation for a 12-bed female dorm, and they put me in an 8-bed mixed dorm. This would be fine if the room were truly mixed, but the room is full and I am the only female in the room. When I checked in, there were only 3 guys in here, and now there are 7! I am on a bottom bunk, and the men in the bottom bunks across from mine spend half of their time masturbating. When I asked to move, the desk staff claimed that the place is booked full and told me to "grow up and deal with it". I have stayed at other hostels in the area, so I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton, but it would be nice if the 'mixed' dorms were truly mixed and not 7:1.

My room (101) is on the first floor in the main building. There is another building around the corner on 105th Street, but I do not have access to it. The bunk beds are metal and creak with every movement. The top beds do not have guardrails. There is no air conditioning, and the room gets very hot at night. There is no women's bathroom on the first floor, so female guests have to use the one on the second floor. The facilities consist of two toilets and three showers for the entire floor. The overhead lighting in the rooms and bathrooms leaves much to be desired. There are no assigned lockers, but there are pay-per-use lockers in each room. The sizes vary, but the smallest will hold a medium backpack/purse.

For the price I paid ($360 for 2 weeks), I expected decent facilities and better service and support from the staff. I had reservations to stay at Jazz on the Town in the East Village, but this experience has soured me on the entire franchise, so I canceled it. I will spend the last 2 weeks of my internship back at HINY.

Summary: Save yourself the expense/hassle and stay anywhere else first!

Unique Quality: 1. Central Park is across the street.

2. The B an C trains are 3 blocks away. You can transfer to the 1 train at 59th street, or walk to 103rd and Broadway to pick it up from there. You can transfer to almost any train at Times Square, which is only 7 stops away (about 20 minutes).

3. There are only 2 pay-per-use computers, and the wireless is $9.95/day.

4. This facility adds 13.375%tax to the price of your stay.

5. There are lockers on the second floor that you can use for $4/day.

6. I would not recommend staying here at all unless it's the last open hostel in the city. If you want to stay on the Upper West Side, go to Hostelling International on 103 and Amsterdam. The prices are about the same, but HINY does not charge 13.375% tax and the facilities are much better. HI was $425 for two weeks in a 4-bed female dorm.

Directions: Take the C train to 103rd Street, and walk 3 blocks to 106th.

• coalfish's Profile Photo

Nice Hostel

I stayed here 2 days, that was nice experiance. I heared that Jazz live often take place at this hostel, but nothing for my stay.

Unique Quality: I like Bathroom

• Peruviangirlontour's Profile Photo

Good location

It was a place very cheap and safe in NY. It is in Central Park, there is touristic information and orientation if you need to know about bus, trains . I shared room with 14 people but I didn´t have any problems with that. You have to wake up early if you wanna have breakfast , and there are some parties to,. The only one porblme is that I didn´t get the messages of my flight! so dont´t trust the receptionist :)

Directions: Central Park

• kenner85's Profile Photo

New York's little secret

Well mix bag really, i loved the people there, they helped out heaps. The people staying there where also great fun! People from all over the world. lol it was also funny to have over 20 Australian's from the Sydney Dance Group there. It was like we where still at home. The bed qlty wasnt to flash, expect mix dorms. We were there while in renovation mode so its hard to give a proper account of the place. I dont want to put a sour taste on the place but one lady did get massive bites after a nights sleep. That was a bit weird but besides that is great. Free breakfast, place to keep ya bags safe.

Unique Quality: Free Breakfast (Park location only)
    Ø Cafe and Dining Area (Park location only)
    Ø Air Conditioned Rooms
    Ø No Curfew
    Ø Terrace
    Ø BBQ Partys (summer only)
    Ø Tours and Shuttles
    Ø 24 hrs Internet Service
    Ø 24 hrs Security
    Ø laundry facilities (Park location only)

Ø 24 hrs. Front Desk
    Ø Clean and Safe Dorms
    Ø Linens & Towel Included
    Ø Game Room
    Ø Near Public Transportation

Directions: Right near Central Park on 106th street, and it has some great little shops around it. Great pizza place

• Cammel11's Profile Photo

Good Hostel

This hostel is in a really good spot in Manhattan. It was so easy to get around to every touristy spot. Metro is really close. Its a clean facility. They have a nice lounge area where its really easy to meet a lot of international travelers. Everyone there was really nice and really helpful.

• cheryl_the_mermaid's Profile Photo

Fantastic Jazzy hostel by Central Park

So I have stayed here twice. First time, I stayed in the mixed dorm. Had the best hostel experience ever. Staff and guests are amazing, still keep in touch with friend I me there from Ireland, England, and Australia. Prices are good for hostel prices, bunk beds were efficient. Second time i stayed, I got a private room with my bf. the messed it up and gave us 2 sets of bunk beds instead of a big bed for the two of us, even though we made paid reservations.

Unique Quality: Overall, I greeeat hostel! They had regular bbq's, karaoke nites, and beer partys. The basement has a jazz club, with locals playing there all the time. Middle floor has the resto, pretty, charming, with great music and good food. It's located right by Central Park, so that was really delightful. Has amazing terrases and rooftops that you can hang out on any time of day or nite to socialize and make new friedns from around the globe. Whole hostel has great paintings done by the staff.

• robslacker's Profile Photo

Good Place to crash

I've stayed here a couple of times, not a bad hostel for the price, facilities are ok but seemed beter in the summer. Rooms varied considerably in quality especially if you were put in the second building but if you just need a bed then its fine. Location is great for uptown and is easy to find.

Unique Quality: Very close to central park
    also close to columbia university so there is pretty reasonable nightlife within a 15 min walk.

Directions: Catch the subway there its easiest then a 5 min walk

• Larnie's Profile Photo

Beer and Chicken - New York Style

I turned up here tired and hungry and before I knew it, someone had my backpack off my shoulders and a beer in my hand!!
    What more could an Aussie girl ask for.
    You feel like you know everyone as soon as you arrive and this is a big thing in a huge (no massive) city such as New York.
    Beds are clean and bathrooms are good and private.
    Be prepared to stay up late drinking beer, eating chicken and listening to cool tunes.

Unique Quality: $5 beer and chicken night!!

Directions: AIRPORT BUS SERVICE (leaves you at 42nd Street. Then take subway [Uptown B or C to 103rd St.]) $10-$13

• IndoBound's Profile Photo

OK place

Stayed here when it had just opened. Jazz is a nice bloke and even lent me his weekly travel pass. Not far from the park and a quick ride to the city centre.
    Good clean accomodation, good security and good value.
    Good alternative to the YMCA and other expensive hostels in the city.

• storyin's Profile Photo

Storyin New York City

1st stay :
    room 303 .
    housekeeping forget to clean the bed after somebody check out / before somebody check in .
    I have to change the sheet ... by myself .

dirty floor , key card often broken .
    I have to go down stairs to ask them renew again and again .

and the staff do not feel sorry .

breakfast not bad .

14-mix-dorm almost looks the same as 12-bed dorm . but the price is very different ( 17.95 / 30.68 USD ) .

2nd stay:
    I check in 1hr before 11 AM because I have to attend class , they charge my card but do not let me leave my luggage , ( have to pay extra 4 USD for luggage room , so I prefer carry them via C train transfer W train to my classroom , not only late for class but also a terrible experience to transfer in 42nd street station )

room 506 is clean . rooftop is nice and empty . no bagel this morning .

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Great Hostel

This place is great, cool location and really easy going staff. I met loads of people while staying here which meant there was something to do everynight (I was travelling alone). The nieghbourhood is pretty safe and there are plenty of bars in the local area. I found this place difficult to book because it does get quite crowded. I couldn't get a reservation so just turned up hoping they'd have a cancellation, which they did.

Unique Quality: The most memorable part of my whole visit to NYC was going to see Ricky Lake. JOTP organise the tickets etc and its all free of course. I'll never forget the show, a couple both cheating on eachother, but the guy had a secret boyfriend and the girl had a secret girlfriend! Of course its all probably fixed but the crowd go absolutly wild and thats the fun part!

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Jazz on the Park Hostel

well, i stayed 4 days here. This hostel has 2 different locations to work. one near central park and another a bit more down. one is jazz on the park and the other is jazz on the town hostel. this jazz on the park has 2 different buildings. the main and another one just 2 blocks away on Central Park West 106 Street.

i find this hostel a bit farway from downtown and midtown. i guess your hostel location in nyc is very important and you should take in consideration what you want to visit in town. as in this trip i made to the city i wanted to stay and see some stuff in uptown and the area of central park i choose this one to its locations.

Unique Quality: the place is celan ans big. the bathrooms are kind if ok for youth hostels. one of the nights someone was being beeten just 3 rooms from me. for half an hours some one was being puched and kicked until i called the police. the area of this hostel is not very good altough is also not very bad hehe.

staff at the hostel are nice, at the time, all latinas girls.

you can check the internet at the main building for a couple of dollars and you have free breakfast until 10am. i payed $33 for each night.

information i took from their website on how to get there:

"Once at Columbus Circle (59th Street) Station in Manhattan transfer from the "A" train to the uptown "B" or "C" train. Exit the subway at 103rd Street and Central Park. Walk north on Central Park West to 106 Street. Turn left, the hostel is the second building from the corner. "

(picture also taken from their website)

Comments