Kitano New York Hotel

Kitano New York
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Nice Hotel for business trips

I was here on business, so I didn't pay for the room myselves. There is all sorts of tv entertainment and internet access, at pretty high prices, though. Free Japanese green tea.
    i would recommend this hotel as it is nice and central.

Unique Quality: Great views of the Chrysler building and Empire State Building.

More about Kitano New York Hotel

Porcelains, Japanese Tea Pots & Delightful Things

by lourdesmaria about The Kitano Gift Shop

This little shop is housed within the Kitano Hotel, a small high quality hotel which caters to the Japanese tourist in New York. The gift shop welcomes all New Yorkers and tourists with a charming assortment of high quality items from Japan and other countries. There are small porcelains for $10 and up along with lovely bath products and gorgeous silk floral arrangements in little baskets that make wonderful presents for any occassion (small sizes start about $25). The delicate sensibility and refined taste of the Japanese run throughout so you can be assured of quality and beauty of all items. The staff is cheerful and the shop Manager, Ms. Satori Yoshida, is a ray of sunshine on any day. The silk floral arrangements. And the humorous glycerine soaps (clear glycerine with little heart shaped toys inside or smiley faces). Anywhere from $10-15 for small porcelains up to $100 or more for tea pots and cups dusted with real gold powder or enamels.

no doubts about the Kitano

by TripAdvisor Member mat.

Stayed at the Kitano from 03/27 till 04/03.
A small but bright jewel on the crown of NYC hotels.Excellent location, only a few blocks from Grand Central Station, and far away from big tourist crowds and places, but yet central in Manhattan.
Original lobby with the Botero sculpture. Excellent staff en guest services. Succeeded in making practically all our diner reservations in the requested restaurants on a very short notice.(Wolfgang's steakhouse, Nobu, River Cafe, etc.).Good japanese restaurant on site. Were not impressed by the american restaurant on site though. Internet rates too expensive (8$/15 minutes).
We got a very nice junior suite on the 15th floor with a view on the Chrysler Building (children stayed on the same floor in a superior twin room, that was a bit small,with a view on the ESB ). There was a problem however with the heating system of the hotel (rooms on a higher level were too warm; airco not working; couldn't be fixed than after several days).Reasonable rates for a quality hotel. TV in the room to small though, with bad picture quality. Perfect housekeeping.Great barkeeper Michael.
Would certainly go back when in NYC again.

Not the 4 Seasons

When travelling to NYC I am usually there for at least 2 nights and often stay at the Trump or 4 Seasons. I was in NYC for a single night . I had an early morning meeting and wanted to be walking distance. Chose the Kitano at the recommendation of my client and was mentally preparing to tough it out at a second tier hotel. My rate was approximately $200 and so my suspicions were code red.
Got to hand it to the Japanese. They made me feel welcome and calm from check in to check out. The hotel and room were clean and updated. My experience actually makes me wonder if I have been spending too much at other hotels.

A veritable oasis of serene tranquillity......

by TripAdvisor Member FairbanksSwindon

....in the city that never sleeps - and especially so after sightseeing and tramping around shops and museums all day !

This delightful little gem is staffed mainly by Japanese and is obviously geared towards Japanese tourists/business men. Our spotlessly clean room was very quiet even though it was only four floors above the main road. It was both spacious and comfortable with a double bed - the biggest we've ever slept in - large enough to easily accommodate two fully grown sumo wrestlers ! The large marble bathroom was well stocked with toiletries, towels and bathrobes and didn't suffer from any plumbing noises. All the hotel staff were smartly groomed, polite, helpful and very efficient - a refreshing change from our three previous New York experiences. Although only a 10 minute stroll to 5th Ave/Grand Central Station/Empire State Building, the Kitano is situated in a quiet, safe and fairly select residential area. The oriental menus and the green tea bags left in our room didn't do too much for my wife and I but there were plenty of alternative places to eat nearby. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. Although the room rates are slightly higher than the average NYC hotel, the Kitano is excellent value for money.

We decided to stay in this hotel solely based on TripAdvisor comments, we're so pleased we did and now hope our assessment may also encourage others to follow.

Tips : Bring along your own favourite type of tea bags but leave your umbrella at home - you'll find one hanging in the wardrobe.

Pleasant but slightly bland

by TripAdvisor Member adamunc

Stayed here on a weekend in April on a very reasonable discount rate. The location is OK--good neighborhood and convenient for 5th Avenue shopping; less convenient for Broadway theatres.

The lobby is compact but comfortable; had to wait for bell staff to appear both when leaving and picking up luggage. The rooms are smallish (welcome to NYC) but comfortable, though distressingly beige. The bathroom was well-designed, with some drawer space, good water pressure and a towel-warmer. The windows actually open, but as there was jackhammering on the street below, it didn't do me any good. When closed, though, the windows entirely shut out the sound.

There are no ice machines--room service will deliver ice for free. Breakfast was fine, presented with fresh tulips and right on time. Bar staff very friendly. I still prefer the Sofitel, but when it's full or too expensive, this is a good backup.

Lobby of Hotel KitanoLobby of Hotel Kitano

Never did this before.

by chodearm

I live in Brooklyn but never needed to stay in a hotel, for I live here. My ladies momma, hailing from Japan wants to come to NYC. I am trying to find a hotel that is similar in accomadations to the Grand Hyatt (thats where she usually stays) but not similar in price, looking for a great hotel with less price I guess. Any suggestions where I can find some answers or any hotels you recommend woud be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Never did this before.

by joesorce

Check with lastminutetravel.com, they often have lower rates than some of the other discounters.

Re: Never did this before.

by 10028

I've heard terrific things about the Kitano, which is a Japanese hotel on Park Avenue, a few blocks from the Grand Hyatt.

You might also try the W Hotel (www.starwood.com) which has a couple of locations on the east side.

There are many budget hotels, but I think you get what you pay for. If you want the accommodating service of the Grand Hyatt, you won't be happy at a tourist class hotel.

Re: Re: Never did this before.

by djramey

I don't honestly know much about the Grand Hyatt but I am assuming it is quite ritzy.

We always stay in the New Yorker about 5 blocks from Times Sq.

Its quite a bit cheaper and the rooms are pretty nice. I think for 2 beds we payed about 100 a night. Of course we are all 20ish and traveling so we werent looking for nice nice stuff.

We went off hotels.com