La Quinta Manhattan

Tags

Seniors Museum Visits Festivals
See Amenities
leics's Profile Photo

There's a popular rooftop bar...........

by written on July 28, 2014

.........an open-air bar with a small patio and a superb view of the Empire State Building. And there are only two small, slow elevators (also used by cleaning staff). So you can expect not only to queue for said elevators once the bar opens (5pm, happy hour until 7pm) but also noise from the bar if your room is on the 14th floor. My advice is to avoid the 14th floor if you can. I was on the 12th and I usually walked down the stairs, knowing that would be quicker than waiting for the elevators.

La Quinta is housed in a listed historic building, built in 1902-04 and once the Aberdeen Hotel. Its exterior is elaborate but the lobby and breakfast room are now somewhat minimalistic. Staff are courteous and efficient.

My room was at the side, overlooking a small roofed courtyard area, opposite a block of offices and...if I craned my neck..with a superb view of the ESB. It was clean and had all the bits I needed, including a very comfortable bed. The bathroom has a tub as well as a shower but on two occasions I was unable to get any hot water. When I mentioned this at checkout the chap said 'If you run it for 5-10 minutes it's usually ok' which I thought was somewhat surprising. I don't expect hot water to be instant, especially in an older building, but running water for 5-10 minutes seems a little excessive........

Free wifi worked well in my room and there are two Macs and a printer available in the lobby for guest use.

Breakfast is very basic, with bagels, toast, small pastries, cream cheese and 'jelly', some fruit and hard-boiled eggs. The machine coffee is good (the in-room coffee seemed to me very weak) and there are also juices and teas available. There is a complimentary 24-hour coffee machine in the basement, along with a 'fitness room' (didn't use it, didn't even look). And there's a concierge service, though I didn't use that either.

W 32nd Street is 'Little Korea', lined with restaurants and busy with people until the early hours. It's a very safe street and area for a solo female (imo) but it's also very grubby and smelly early in the morning, before the bin lorry has collected the restaurants rubbish bags.

A clean, basic hotel in a very convenient location, reasonably-priced for central Manhattan.

Directions: Subway to 34th Street Herald Square, then a couple of minutes' walk to the hotel.

Hotel smells like fish.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 25, 2011

Hotel smells like fish and seafood.Some people are highly contagious of shellfish and seafood,was told by GM it always smells becauce its in korean town!Some people even have allergic reaction to the cooking vapors like this hotel has.Only wish they would put this on there website.Here is GM EMAIL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I am in receipt of your complaint. I am sorry to hear that you were not
satisfied with your stay - since we are in Korean town, and surrounded by
restaurants, food odors are a regular part of being located here........SO IF YOU LIKE THE SMELL OF SEAFOOD 24/7 INSIDE YOUR HOTEL THIS MIGHT BE THE PLACE FOR YOU.

Unique Quality: Bell man was GREAT he should be the GM of the hotel.

Directions: Korean fish town.

Dimapakali's Profile Photo

Not Friendly at all

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 15, 2008

Whatever you do, do not stay at this place called La Quinta Inn on 17 West 32nd St. It is only less than five minutes walk to the Empire State Building and you can pretty much walk to most attractions or hop on a bus but, and it's a big but!! I had an unpleasant experience in that hotel. My sister and myself stayed there from the 28th december 2006 to the 1st January 2007, and I booked for a room with 2 queen sized bed which they quaranteed was available ,but when we got there, we were given a pokey little room with one queen bed,there was about a meter from the door to the bed, the same from the foot of the bed to the wall, so there was hardly any place to put our suitcases,the window open onto a wall, there was not even a kettle in the room, when I complained I was told that there are no other room, which understandably, it was the busiest time of the year. So put up with it was all I could do! But to make matters worse, I lost my gold bangle, and I was 100% sure it got lost in the hotel, I was stupid to put it on my bedside table one night before going to sleep ang forgetting all about it the following morning. My sister and I went all our belongings in seach of it,the same thing with the pokey little room, and in doing so came accross a dirty pair of panties that belonged to neither one of us wedged between the mattress and the bedhead!!! to our horror!!! When I reported all of these to the front desk, to the big tall dark man wearing a turban, I was made to feel that I was making it all up,he was very condescending,to the point of being rude, and no action was done on their part. When it was finally time for us to leave, the front desk refused to book us a shuttle to the airport,saying that the concierge has left for the day, thankfully there was this kindhearted lady who privately run the little gift/souvenier shop in the hotel lobby and she did the booking for me. When I got my bill the morning we were checking out, there was the basic room charge and a whole heap of other charges such as sales tax, city tax,occupancy tax, and this thing called Javits convention fee when I asked what they were, I was once again treated like I was so stupid for asking, it was a waste of time. So, that was my experience in that hotel,my overall New York experience was great! I will go back again but not in that hotel or any hotel associated with them.

Directions: less than five minute to the Empire State Building

Paul2001's Profile Photo

So-So Budget Class Hotel in Midtown Manhattan

by written on August 30, 2007

I booked this hotel through the AppleCore connection. It was a decent hotel but hardly the best that I stayed in while visiting New York. The fact that I listed it as just satisfied is only for the fact that virtually every hotel in New York is expensive compared to most other cities in the United States. At $159.00 a night this was way overpriced in my books. The room was very standard with a queen size bed, the bathroom that was not particularly well maintained though large and the furniture was rather bland. But really do you visit New York to spend time in the hotel room? I was rarely awake while I was stayed in this hotel so I did not care. It was just a place for me to sleep.

Unique Quality: The hotel was surprisingly quiet considering the location. The location itself could hardly be better as it seemed to be close to so many attractions and shopping draws such as Macy's. The hotel staff here was helpful. The hotel boasts a rooftop bar where you can buy an overpriced beer and stare up at the Empire State Building. Believe it or not, it was while I was sitting at the patio that I experienced my only drop of rain in three trips to New York.

Directions: One block south of the Empire State Building. It makes for an excellent beacon if you a trying to walk to your hotel.

Harley1231's Profile Photo

Very Conveient to Downtown/Times Square

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 21, 2006

Decent Hotel for the price.
Location was GREAT - but didn't spend much time in the hotel...ha ha ha!

Unique Quality: No view
Extremely small rooms

Directions: Korean District

bambi1825's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel in Manhatten with decent pricing

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 21, 2005

We have been to New York City three times in the past 2 years and all three times we stayed at La Quinta in Manhatten. The first time I stayed they had grand opening prices so it was really cheap then after that they prices weren't too bad. They offered free breakfast and had a good variety. It's very clean and they are very friendly there.

Pomska's Profile Photo

Best Western Manhattan

by written on September 12, 2002

It's really, really hard to find a decent and
reasonably priced hotel in New York City. I have been in Best Western Manhattan which I think is great value for money because of its center location. I think the hotel has changed its name and owner (?) because I cannot find it anymore.

It has been for singles USD 85, doubles USD 95, triples USD 100, quads USD
110. I think prices might be higher nowadays.

Unique Quality: The rooms were decorated in one of three themes: 5th Avenue (ritzy), Central Park (lots of florals), or SoHo (dramatic colors). There were a tiny exercise room with a couple of aerobic machines and some weights. The location is just south of the Empire State Building in a bustling Korean neighborhood, near lots of shops and restaurants. Ask for non-smoking room if you don't like the cigarette smell in your room. There are 150 rooms.

Directions: It's located in 17 W. 32nd St., between 5th Ave. and Broadway. You should
take subway B, D, F or Q to W. 34th St. (Herald Square).

bugalugs's Profile Photo

We stayed at the Best Western,...

by written on September 12, 2002

We stayed at the Best Western, Manhatton.
I had searched on the internet and a few days prior had seen this hotel featured for about $109 dollars per night. When I looked again a few days later it was $89 per night for a double room which I thought was very good.

Unique Quality: The hotel was clean, and quite central, their was a roof bar from which you could see the Empire State Building which was just behind the hotel.
Prices included buffet style continental breakfast.

Nearby La Quinta Manhattan

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews