Latham Hotel

Good For No Data

More about Latham Hotel

Great location,clean hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member petpet

We just came back from New York.
We've stayed in the Latham hotel from the 23 till 28 of februari.
The location of the hotel is absolutly perfect! The empire state builidng and Macy's store are in walking distance! There are also two metro lines close to the hotel.
The building is very old but the furniture was all new and the bed was comfortable. Most important: the rooms are very clean. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. The bathroom was just renovated and nice and clean.
The only complaint was that the room was tremendously hot! We couldn't turn of the heating in the room! Somebody from the hotel came to help us but even that didn't help! But maybe we were just unlucky.
I would recommand this hotel to people who like a basic but clean hotel on a great location.
On 5th street there are many nice places to have breakfast. We went to Brooklyn Bagel cafe.

Don't believe all you hear!

by TripAdvisor Member jsimwards

We have just arrived hoime from the Latham Hotel in NYC and although several of the reviews are discouraging we gave the hotel a change and I have to say although in need of renovation in some areas our stay was very pleasant. The hotel is clean, rooms and bathrooms are cleaned daily with clean towels and sheets.

The staff are very polite and will accommodate where they can and always with a smile. You wouldn't know that the hotel is a welfare hostel for young mothers as the children do not disturb you in any way - there is even a day care centre within the hotel lobby. This is not a problem.

The hotel is very central and although it doesn't have a bar or food facilities this is not an issue. There is an excellent deli on the corner of 5th Ave which not only stocks every food you can imagine, is open 24 hours but is very and I mean very cheap to eat.

I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again with no hesitation.

Highly recommended for those watching their pocket

by TripAdvisor Member Dels777

Duration of Stay: 28/03- 02/04.

We just returned back to London from a stay in New York at the Latham Hotel. The hotel is on E28th Street, which is within walking distance to the Emipre State building and Grand Central Station.

The staff were very friendly and always ready to help, from information about the hotel and its facilities to information about the surrounding areas.

Our room was simple, basic and was cleaned every day, so was the bathroom. There is a lovely cafe/deli on the corner which serves good breakfast. I highly recommend a visit!

I will definitely be going back to this hotel. And for those considering it, just remember: you pay for what you get.

Middling...

by TripAdvisor Member albert29

The staff are really friendly and helpful, and they are always keen to help. However, the rooms aren't great. Our had a new carpet and some new furniture but the walls and doors inside look like they've been painted over about 1000 times, and our view was a brick wall about 2 feet away. There was no natural light as a result, and it was a bit depressing. One big problem was the heating, which you couldn't control yourself - it turned on FULL at about 7am and was far too hot, (and a bit noisy). The other problem was the shower! It was never the right temperature, either boiling or freezing, and it was not much more than a dribble - it caused both of us to cry out as it flicked between stone cold and far too hot, without warning. It flowed into a bath which looked very battered, chips of enamel were coming off under our feet as we showered. Despite that, the bathroom was clean otherwise, as was the room. We weren't sure that the pillowcases smelt that clean, but they happily gave us new ones!
They are quite open about what they do and don't have - no flat screen TVs, (but they do have perfectly good big TVs!) and no room service, but i think they could sort out the plumbing and not expect anyone to pay much more!
The corridors are pretty ropey too - and there are permanent residents - mostly women with young children, though they're very quiet and not a problem at all.

Not for single female travellers or anybody else!

by TripAdvisor Member gulliver21

I recently just stayed at this hotel as a single female traveller to New York City. I do not recommend this hotel unless you really are on the tightest budget that you are willing to endue what i did.

First off, i arrived late at night and got no service from reception at all and just told to find my room. On arrival to my room, the linen was so dirty that i slept on my jacket.

The room was constantly cold and there seemed to be leaks in the window which were taped up with masking tape.

I recieved obscene prank phone calls in the middle of the night and all the staff were disinterested depsite only them knowing that i was in the room on my own and they wre damn unhelpful.

Staff were rude, obnoxious and didnt seem to like international visitors. This was more like a half way house for single mothers with the occasional travellor staying there.

The ghetto skanky club next door plays music till 4 am and the hotel is just way to "ghetto". Your probably more safer in the bronx (ha ha).

my curatin rail fell down several times, the walls are paper thin and rthere was this big fat guy who seemed to live in the room next to mine who walked around in Y-fronts.

basic but clean and friendly

by TripAdvisor Member bonbonIreland

we read the reviews on trip advisor and i have to admit i was a bit pessimistic, especially as i was travelling with my one year old son. we arrived at 3am and the staff were very friendly. the rooms are very basic but they are really clean with a cleaner in every day and clean towels every day. i certainly did not experiance any dirty linen or bed bugs. the rooms are not huge but wat do u expect for the money. the hotel is right in the middle of the city and right beside everything u could want, the empire state building is right around the corner. the live in people are really friendly. their children held open the doors for me and helped down the steps and the women would have their own prams on the stairs would stop to help me with mine. overall the hotel is basic but clean. what more do u want from a place where u will only be sleeping. we were up at 7.30 am and not mak til 12pm so it was a nice clean place to put ur head down. id recommend it

Fine for budget travellers

by TripAdvisor Member Fire_Princess

I stayed at the Latham with my boyfriend when I was in NYC to run the marathon. I found it to be a decent budget hotel with friendly staff.

The room and sheets were clean and we had our own bathroom. The room was very warm even though it was below freezing outside. The furniture did show signs of repair, but it was all in an acceptable condition. The bath and sink had obviously been repainted with enamel paint a number of times, but it was perfectly serviceable and the shower was excellent.

The hallways and elevators were a bit run down, but you only see them for a couple of minutes a day and it is an old building after all. There were lots of single mothers staying at the hotel, but they all seemed polite and friendly and I didn't hear any babies screaming throughout my stay.

The Latham was clean and the staff during my stay were friendly and helpful, but I must say I am a little disappointed in the manager's responses to complaints on this website, especially with regard to the noise from the club next door. We could hear the noise from quite high up in the building and had to use ear plugs to sleep. I don't really think it is fair for him to suggest that as the club is attended by celebrities, guests should be flattered to stay next door and hear pounding music through the night. It would have been more professional if he'd aknowledged the noise as a disturbance, apologised and perhaps offered to keep a supply of free earplugs at the front desk!

To a certain degree you get what you pay for. I would recommend this hotel to people who would rather spend their money on sightseeing and shopping in New York rather than a room which they will primarily only be sleeping in. The location is excellent, after all.

No complaints.

by TripAdvisor Member Lilypod

I am just back from staying at the Latham and, having read some of the reviews on here prior to leaving (and wondering if it'd be open or else closed down by the health department by the time we arrived) can only write positive things about it. We initially found that our room had a double bed instead of two twins, but when we asked if we could be relocated, this was done instantly and without a fuss. Similarly, when the battery on the smoke alarm in our room ran down and began beeping one night, we notified the front desk and somebody arrived within minutes to change it. Staff were pleasant: there's a service whereby an Airlink pick-up to the airport can be arranged, and there's a secure and well-organised luggage storage system if your check-out time is well in advance of that pick-up. I never felt unsafe in the hotel, our rooms and the shared bathroom were cleaned every day, and fresh towels were provided. Yes, the Latham's also home to single mums, but so what? And, yes, our room also looked out on some brick walls, but I'd imagine so do most New Yorkers'. We only heard the nightclub on two occasions, and it didn't keep us awake. I do agree that the lift is slow: I kept losing patience and taking the stairs! The location is excellent - turn onto the corner and look up at the Empire State in one direction and at the Flatiron Building in the other - and, as one previous reviewer stated, there's a lovely deli (Cafe 28) on the corner. So no complaints, and I would stay there again. It was a pleasant surprise.

Very content

by TripAdvisor Member moonies

Stayed at the Latham in Dec 06 for NYE....Prior to leaving Sydney I read the reviews and felt a bit worried about staying at the Latham but it was an enjoyable stay. The location of the hotel is great and well lit up. The cafe on the corner is handy, the staff at the hotel were helpful. We were even able to leave our luggage there for a couple of days at a small cost when we went to Washington DC. I think if you are used to staying in 3-4 star hotels don't bother staying here as you may be disappointed but I would rather stay here than waste my money on a hotel which charges more than double the price of this hotel and the service may not even be that crash hot! No complaints from me I highly recommend people to stay here especially if you're in NYC to have fun and remember you're only there at the hotel to sleep.....

The Latham Hotel

by 2curly4u

Hi, I am just wondering if the location of that hotel is a good one ( 4 East 28th Street). We are after some nightlife spots ( bars, clubs, restaurants). How far from East Village it is for example?

by nicolaitan

a very underrated area - out of the usual tourist track, but on 5th Avenue and within a few blocks of the subways which can get you anywhere. Major uptown and downtown bus routes on madison and 5th Avenues respectively. Some very good neighborhood restaurants in the area.

by Intrepidnyc

The Latham is mainly an SRO hotel where people live, often with government assistance. On my lunch hours, I used to deliver meals to needy people in that bldg. Like many SROs in NY these days, this bldg has converted some of its rooms to the tourist trade (often to the disgust of the residents). The neighborhood is safe, and so is the hotel. Just know that it's not luxurious by any means.

RE: RE: The Latham Hotel

by 2curly4u

Thanks for the info. We don't really expect any luxury. Would you be able to advise what is the best way to get to Greenwich Village from that location and how long will it take. How much if we catch a taxi?

by nyceagle1633

good location.

RE: RE: The Latham Hotel

by nicolaitan

For Greenwich Village you won't kneed a taxi. Walk west to the 6th Avenue train south to 4th Street or the 7th Avenue train south to Christopher Street. Including waiting time for the trains, well less than 30 minutes travel time as it is only a few stops.

by Intrepidnyc

You can also take the number 6 subway train down to Astor Place, which is on the edge of the East Village. At Astor Place, walk east. Take at look at www.mta.info for subway and bus maps. Enjoy!

Comments