332 West 23rd St, 10011-2289, New York City, New York, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

• Word of Caution...

Be prepared when you visit Leo House -- it contains simple accommodations, but clean. The breakfasts are wonderful and the Leo House staff is mostly welcoming and kind. Sister Kathleen is outstanding and a wealth of information and graciousness. Be sure to keep your confirmed reservation with you at all times during your stay. We had confirmed reservations for 2 rooms for a 4-night stay. Upon returing after only our second day of sightseeing and taking in a Broadway play at 1:00 a.m., we discovered there had been a "reservation error" and one of our rooms had been canceled after only 2 nights! All the personal belongings had been "packed" or put into bags and was awaiting our return in the Lobby. Unfortunately, there were no available rooms in the entire hotel. To make matters even worse, the night desk person was only concerned about how difficult her night was -- she gave absolutely no consideration nor assistance of any type to those individuals who had just been "kicked out" of their reserved room. Plus there were no air conditioners or fans available (82-88 degree weather) for the rooms.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location! Wonderful. Price outstanding as well.

Directions: Chelsea Area

• New York's Rudest Hotel

Be wary of The Leo House of New York. It is truly mismanaged with staff running the organization and hotel management either being kept from what is going on or not caring. Two weeks ago I made a reservation to stay for 10 days. I called a day after I made the reservation to inquire if I could add another day and was informed the reservation I made for two people was only made for one on the 5 of the 10 days and they had nothing available. I tried to get resolution and this has taken almost 8 days of no return phone calls from the reservation manager, no email confirmations when she told me I would receive them, when I insisted I get an email confirmation the dates were wrong, I kept making long distance calls explaining the incorrect dates, but 7 email confirmations later the dates were still wrong, I was told numerous times to leave messages for the reservation manager, but her phone mailbox was always full. I tried to speak with the Executive Director of the hotel to explain I have booked two non-refundable airline tickets after I thought I had my Leo House reservation ($1,000) but his secretary refused to take a message when she knew it was a complaint. Really really fed-up today I called reservations again and became so frustrated when a reservationist told me I was making a nuisance of myself, she kept interrupting me when I told her what I needed, and she hung up the phone on me. The Reservation Manager calls me within minutes of me being hung up on and tells me I have to apologize to staff or she is canceling my reservation. And she did it. She sent me an email, FINALLY with my correct arrival and departure dates, states I was rude and shouting and I am not welcome. Her email is full of grammatical errors and misspellings. If you've ever had an out-of-body experience you know exactly how I felt reading her email.

I just pulled up some reviews of The Leo House and I see that another would be guest from Virginia had a very similar problem with reservations about two months ago. He stated reservation personnel were rude to him and told him all the things they couldn't do for him, instead of all the things they could do to accommodate. I also got a lot of this verbiage from the reservations staff.

I have stayed at The Leo House on two separate occasions. One time for an extended time during the summer and most everything went well. At that time we had problems with housekeeping and I guess that is a problem at The Leo House because some of the front desk staff keeps a private stash of towels, soap and other items because hotel guests are frequently coming to them because housekeeping doesn't always make-up rooms correctly.

The second time I stayed at The Leo House I did have a problem with reservations and my daughter and I had to stay in a room we never had reservations for. One of us slept on a cot for two nights. For this stay I really wasn't okay that housekeeping could never get our beds made by 5 pm., when we finally got beds. When I asked the cleaning person on the floor why she didn't make-up our room she told me some crazy story, and when her boss asked her about this story in front of me the cleaning person said she was not telling the truth.

Do yourselves a favor, there are other places in New York City that offer the same prices, have reservations departments that are organized, efficient, well mannered, as opposed to rude and fly-off-the-handle and cancel your reservation because you want some form of confirmation.

Unique Quality: New York City is fantastic!

Directions: Chelsea