Library Hotel

299 Madison Avenue, At 41st Street, New York City, New York, 10017, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• Good, could be great.

The Library is a good little hotel but the frustration is it could be a great hotel.
    Great concept and location are let down by the usual NYC designer hotel problem, (aka ‘Schraeger syndrome’) the staff radiate a sense that this job would be so cool if it wasn’t for the customers.

For example, when first booking and again on checking in I told them my wife was arriving two days after me and watched them write this down but when she did arrive while I was out they denied any knowledge of her and only let her into the room when she started crying.

When we mentioned it to the front desk they’d stayed cool. “I’m sorry about that but everything else made up for it right?”

Well, not quite.
    The rooms are cosy. The books themselves seem to be mainly remaindered hardbacks but this gives the Reading (/Breakfast) Room fabulous serendipity. You come across an old guidebook to Coventry next to a book on astronomy, a biography of Napoleon, and a John Updike novel. The size and scale of the hotel feels very Parisian or Roman.

It is crying out for a charismatic owner/proprietor couple who love books and do the mine host thing, working the tables at breakfast to check everything’s OK, mentioning something about the room you’re in. The guests are by definition more bookish, they want warmth over cool. You just know there’s a hotel manager somewhere in the city who could make the concept really come alive.

Incidentally, the 30 or so books in the famous love room are mostly marriage guidance manuals by Dr Ruth K Westheimer and her friends or remaindered collections of love poetry but the room is well worth taking for its balcony.11 floors above Madison Avenue with clear views all the way up and down and not too overlooked. The surrounding office blocks all empty at weekends. It’s a wonderful stage for romance.

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

A Booklover's Paradise

Centrally located in Manhattan, this is a tranquil 5-star hotel. Each floor is dedicated to a different subject and each room contains books from a specific section of the Dewey-decimal system. A nice place to really pamper yourself. It's within steps of Times Square, Grand Central Station, and the NY Public Library. There is lots to see and do within walking distance of the Library Hotel.

Unique Quality: Gorgeous design, and books everywhere! Free internet access in the hotel's Business Centre, complimentary breakfast and refreshments throughout the day, plus a wine and cheese reception every evening. Only drawback we encountered was that the computerized mini-bar is a more trouble than it is worth.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

A worthy splurge

This is luxury...at least by my standards. It's pricy, but there is a more affordable deal for weekends and on the internet. (See below for site.)

The rooms are all themed, and there is a lovely patio/porch for eating breakfast and reading. There is also a wonderful indoor space for the same. There is a living room with flat screen television and fireplace.

I just love the place. I haven't stayed there yet, I only visited, but it's gorgeous.

Unique Quality: Each floor is a different library (Dewey Decimal) category and each room on the floor is a topic within that category. Books are in each room and the art follows the same theme.

The staff is very friendly and will either help you or leave you alone, depending on what you want.

Directions: Midtown

More about Library Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member simontski

A pre christamas break and a little retail therapy is an ideal way to spend time in New York. Staying at the Library Hotel was a joy. Its location is fantastic, the rooms were chic, stylish and immaculate. The breakfast was a bonus as was the cheese and wine offered in the evening. But the cherry on the icing on the cake were the staff. They were so polite, helpful and all looked so happy in their work. A big thank you to them all. I am tempted not to recommmend this hotel, as I would like to keep it as my little secret. But they did such a great job, I feel compelled to sing thir praises.

As for tshopping, steer well clear of on off digital opposite the library, I think it is on 5th. The guy is a crook. Having bought several electrical items from here during the week, he decided to rip us off by sellin us an i-pod, but claiming that we needed extra cables to make it work. Having parted with over $100 for the cables we found out that they come as part of the i-pod package. We returned to the store, explained what we had learned, and the assistant said " tough, i have to make money some how, no refund .....no exchange"
I know ...I should have punched him, but hopefully if we all avoid this store, and pass this story on to our friends, this will hurt him more. The guys over at CompUSA were far more helpful, I would go there instead.

Hostels exists, but are not...

by Skylink

Hostels exists, but are not common is the U.S. Bed and breakfast inns are usually more expensive than budget hotels. They are often in small towns near big cities where city residents can relax over the weekend. Budget motels chains include Super 8, Motel 6, Microtel, Sleep Inn. Sleep Inn tends to be newer and in better condition than Super 8. Slightly more expensive motels include Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, LaQuinta, Red Lion, etc. Holiday Inn, Ramada Inn are usually more expensive. Large
hotels, used often by business travellers, people attending conventions, and people who are not on a strict budget include Hyatt, Hilton, Doubletree, Intercontinental, etc. There are also boutique hotels such as the Morgan Hotel or Library Hotel in New York that cater to people who like small and well decorated hotels.

Theme carried off well, not over the top

by TripAdvisor Member ZebraMc

The Library Hotel is in a great mid-town location. The rooms are a good size by NYC standards. Buffet breakfast was good and evening hors d'oeuvres a welcome start to a night out. The room was clean, the bathroom modern and luxurious enough to warrant the four stars. Staff helpful but "not in your face".
There is a great restaurant on the ground floor which was a bonus.

an oasis

It was exactly as the previous tripadvisor user said, after a crazy day or tourism in the city, it was a complete balm to your senses to come back to the quiet and calm of the Library Hotel. The staff was great, attentive when needed, unobtrusive when not. The rooms were tiny (but it's ny so...) but very nicely decorated. The high ceilings definitely helped alleviate the sensation of being in a small space, so we barely noticed after our initial shck (from tx where space is hardly ever an issue). The location is GREAT, couldn't ask for better. WE didn't get a reat discount rate or anything, but we did not regret the money we spent. LOVED IT.

Booklover's Retreat with Millionaire's Terrace

My wife and returned to the Library Hotel in November 2004. The thermostat in the room that you controlled functioned simply and efficiently. Two bathrobes hung in the closet with hangers that said we trust our guests. I know this does not sound like much; however, upon returning from Italy and having none of the above, we were elated.
Each room is stocked with books on specific categories and a VCR. The terrace reminds one of some photo shoot from a glamourous magazine. You can purchase a bottle of wine from a well-stocked shop on Madison Avenue and 40th Street and have sent it up the terrace. Smokers can indulge. We had "Chinese"
delivered to our room and enjoyed our cozy room two blocks from the NYC Library and Grand Central Terminal in the opposite direction.

Comfortable, service-oriented hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tla719

We stayed over Labor Day weekend in the Architecture room on the 7th floor. We found the room very quiet and comfortable with nice amenities. While the room is not large, the details and service more than make up for the small size.
The staff was very helpful and courteous. The complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and wine & cheese reception were more than we could ask for.
The terrace provided a nice place to relax at the end of the day.
We definitely recommend this hotel.

Well, I liked it...

The good: I am a woman and I was traveling alone. I felt the hotel was extremely safe. I felt safe in my room and in all of the public spaces.

The staff was courteous and very nice to me.

The wine and cheese evening offerings and the morning continental breakfast were tastefully arranged and the food very good. The atmosphere in the 2nd floor dining area was quiet and well behaved, and I felt perfectly comfortable there alone.

Lots of reading material in the public areas and in the rooms themselves.

The rooftop den and terrace are beautiful, with great views of the city. (Although, I certainly couldn't see the Empire State Building from the terrace, like a previous reviewer stated.) Again, I felt safe.

Hotel is in a great location.

The room I had was a "petite" room. Small, but fine for me. NIcely decorated in sophisticated beiges and dark woods. Bathroom is marble and tile. Both were very, very clean. The room decor was restful. Toiletries were good and they provide a clock radio, a hair dryer and nice towels.

The not-so-good: I understand that parking is far away, and there is no valet. I did not have a car so it did not bother me.

I was on the ninth floor and you can hear traffic. Again, this did not bother me. Understand that you are in the heart of midtown and New York is a noisy place. It wasn't unbearable noise, but it is there.

The hotel is sedate. Might not be the best choice if you have a younger family with you. Most of the guests I saw spent most of their time quietly chatting, drinking wine or coffee, and reading.

small hotels

by smith1959

coming to nyc in jan 2005. would really like to stay in hopefully a small luxury hotel that is is in walking distance to the popular sites.looking to spend $400 per night.

by jubee

do check out the boutique hotels like the W.

Re: Re: small hotels

by YVRDave

Have a look at www.slh.com

by vtnyc

W is good. They have locations in Times Sq on 42 and in Union Square (less touristy, but gain a better local perspective).

My fav is the Hudson.

by braduah

I would definately recommend the Millenium Broadway Premiere on 44th in Times Square. Just got back today from there for vacation over new year's eve and it was incredible. Great room and view. The staff was very helpful and you are in the middle of all of the action. Room average was 300/night, but that was slightly inflated due to new years.

Re: Re: small hotels

by Sequel

I would love to try the Library Hotel... www.libraryhotel.com... Testimonials seem good ... and relatively informative web site.... small boutique luxury hotel.

Enjoy