80 Columbus Circle at 60th St, New York City, New York, 10023, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Mandarin Oriental

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• MM212's Profile Photo

Mandarin Oriental: No complaints!

This was my first time staying at a hotel in NYC, my former hometown, since 1995! I was back for work this time, so I did not have to stay with friends as I had otherwise done since leaving NYC in 2011. Luckily all expenses were covered by work, for this is a very pricey hotel. If money isn't an issue, then the Mandarin Oriental is one of the best options in the city. It is a well-run hotel, with comfortable, spacious rooms, and if you're fortunate enough, your room could have stunning views over Central Park (mine did not).

More about Mandarin Oriental, New York

some of the World's best --- ( or worst )

by kenHuocj about Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn and so many more

be it hotel, motel Inn or B&B
the USA has them all,
>>>for the Backpacker even Hostels ;-)))

>>> but a few outsiders have come in to provide some variations. e.g. the Millenium Copthorne group via Singapore and UK
>>>or the Mandarin Oriental Groups from Hong Kong

Lobby Lounge

by Maggies about Mandarin Oriental Hotel

Lobby Lounge is located on the 35th floor of Mandarin Oriental Hotel. The walls of windows give you an amazing view of Central Park and Manhattan Skyline. They have a great selection of tea.

Explore the Time Warner Center!

by Dutchnatasja

Time Warner Center, one of the largest developments in New York City history, opened in May 2004 and is located on the west side of Columbus Circle. Inside are shops like Armani, Hugo Boss, Coach and more, offices (including Time Warner’s headquarters), CNN studios, apartments, concert halls and The Mandarin Oriental hotel with 251 guestrooms. It includes a four-story atrium with a view of Central Park.

The best feature of the project is the very spectacular 35th floor lobby of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, whose entrance is on 60th Street. The luxurious lobby has a lounge with enormous windows overlooking Central Park and Central Park South.

It is a very beautiful building with a lot of shops, restaurants. Take a look at the architecture, it is fantastic. You can spend some time here if you want and enjoy the view!

Amazing views!

by Dutchnatasja about Mandarin Oriental Lobby Lounge

Mandarin Oriental, New York is part of an exclusive new development on floors 35 to 54 of the Time Warner Center on Columbus Circle. It is a stunning blend of modern design and oriental flair in the heart of Manhattan. The Lobby Lounge has beautiful views of Central Park and the City skyline. It is a very expensive hotel; Rates from USD 479! You can always drink a cocktail in the Lobby Lounge. Just to get a feeling of this magnificent hotel.

Dress Code: Smart Casual

Tea Service
2:30pm-4:30pm (Monday–Sunday) Smart Casual

Martini in the sky

by heryanta about Mandarin Oriental Lounge

Located at the sky lobby on the 35th floor of one of the finest hotels in New York, the Mandarin Oriental lounge gives a pristine view of Central Park.

As you sink into the sofa or plush chair you will appreciate the fine furnishing of the lounge. It's not cheap for sure but if you are going to do Manhattan the right way you need to have a martini here and watch the sun go down while the lights in the city come on.

We didn't have any food so I can't write a review about that but we did have dessert and I can recommend the chocolate cake :) Not sure what the official dress code is but everyone whom we saw there was dressed up so you will look out of place in t-shirts or shorts

Very nice but pricey

I just came back from spending 2 nights at the Mandarin Oriental. I only stayed there because it was a last minute trip and there weren't any other 5 star hotels with a decent price. So I decided to splurge and stay at the Mandarin. When the doorman was present, they always opened the door and greeted me everytime. Most of the staff were friendly and always acknowledge me. I only had breakfast at the hotel and the waiter was pretty nice. I had a room with a Central Park and the city view. The only thing that was not so nice was that the Trump Tower was front of it. The room and the bathroom was a decent size and I really enjoyed having the plasma TV in the room and in the bathroom as well. All my room service and turn down service was down on time. I would like to stay here again but the price is just way above most of 5 star hotel in the area.

Greatly improved since its disastrous opening

by TripAdvisor Member FirstBruno

This hotel is greatly improved since its disastrous opening. We stayed there in January 2004 and had to change rooms because the first room was uninhabitable but even the second one had its problems.
The food and beverage department was in chaos. Room service tea came in coffee pots, or vacuum flasks which had previously contained coffee, or not at all. The chef bought tasteless strawberries and blueberries and called them seasonal berries - in January. On one night the bar was closed because the management had rented the whole place out, apparently to a shoemaker, for a private party.
Due to the hotel's eagerness to make amends and the persistence of its guest relations manager, we stayed there again in August 2004. Everything in the room worked, although I was still incapable of mastering the TV system or the cordless phone.
The staff seemed more relaxed.
The views are wonderful and the beds a delight. The concierge service is excellent but foreigners might like to know that their knowledge of the main European languages, other than English) could be limited.
There are still things wrong, of course (the chef continues to have his berry problem, for instance, and one of the staff rendered a check for breakfast with the gratuity line open, when 15% had already been included). They won't be able to do anything about the size of the rooms - not quite big enough - or the size of the closets - very small. If, like my wife, you solve the problem of what to take on vacation by taking everything, consider spending more on a suite because you probably get two closets and more drawers.
But the transformation in seven months is to be commended. Housekeeping is world class. Engineering is world class. Staff have a happy and friendly attitude. Clearly some very hard work has been put in to get things right and the Mandarin Oriental is now worth the journey.

**A Diamond In The Rough**

by TripAdvisor Member kitty33

Just spent the weekend at the Mandarin Oriental, and I must say that by most standards, this was the most superb hotel I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. We found the hotel public spaces and room to be an architectural and interior design masterpiece. The designers did a wonderful job of melding the understated, elegant, peaceful asian atmosphere of MO with the vibrant exuberance of NYC. It seemed as if wherever we stood within the hotel, we were treated to the most spectacular views of NYC I have ever seen. Its location within the brand new Time Warner Center is sublime. It gives a whole new dimension to Columbus Circle and the scale and exterior design of the place is awe-inspiring.

Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a Premier Hudson View Room, and what a room it was. Beautiful and plush with every amenity imaginable. It was a corner room with sweeping views of the river and city from every vantage point. We could lie in bed and have a perfect view of the Empire State Building directly in front of us. Amenities included plasma TV, DVD CD comprehensive entertainment system with surround sound, deep soaking tub with another great view, separate marble shower with huge rain shower head, minibar with great selection of beverages and Dean & DeLuca goodies, luxe bedding and feather pillows, robes, slippers, Fiji water and fresh flowers at turn down etc.

We also had the pleasure of visiting the hotel spa. This was by far the best spa experience I have ever had. Again, the place is beautiful and refined. We were advised to arrive 45 mins early to use the "heat and water experience" which consists of beautiful, separate whirlpool, sauna/steam bath areas for men and women. Then a rest in the co-ed tea lounge and you're off to your treatment. By the time I got to my massage, I was already so relaxed that the transition was seamless. Afterwards, I was escorted to the relaxation room which is yet another exquisite area with daybeds, fountain, refreshments and more spectacular views of NYC.

While the young staff was very friendly and tried very hard, I give the hotel less than five stars right now because of some of the gliches they are still having with service. Examples are, waited 40 mins. for our bags to be brought to our room upon check in (called several times and my husband finally had to go down and find them), room service a little slow (however the food was delicious), difficulty getting room service trays removed, turn down service on second night was very late (we were already in bed), minor difficulties with entertainment center that had to be reset on the second day. This and the fact that everything is EXHORBITANTLY expensive keep me from giving this hotel the highest mark. However, given the fact that it is still relatively new and working out the bugs, I am willing to give MO a little more time to become 5 star.

Overall, a wonderful (albeit not cheap) hotel experience for any hotel snob.

Agree, much improved.

by TripAdvisor Member jm514

We returned to the MO NY this past weekend for a last minute getaway and were quite impressed. We were there soon after opening and agree with prior reviews about the dismal state of the service then. This seems to be mostly taken care of, with a few notable exceptions. The service is still not on par with some similar hotels. For instance, at the Four Seasons SF they always know our names by the time we get to the reception desk and everyone miraculously calls us by name throughout the stay. When my partner returns from runs at the FS SF or Ritz Phili, the doorman will have water and a towel waiting. Service is simply less personal than I would like at the MO. That being said, everyone was very warm and friendly.

We booked our room through Platinum Travel (though not the FH&R rate) and were upgraded to a Premier Central Park View room. It was at the end of the hall and shared a vestibule with only one other room (a Premier CP View Suite). As a result, it was very quiet and we did not hear all the door noise other people have complained of. What can be said except that the view of the entire length of Central Park and Mid-town is spectacular. It is unfortunate that even on the highest floor the Trump building partially obscures things, but the view is still quite amazing. Sunrise was great and the reflection of the sunset off the surrounding buildings was also very nice. We have stayed at many of the top hotels in New York and there are few that can provide quality views from the majority of rooms. I also like the aesthetic of the MO more than most top NY hotels, which tend to be too traditional and fussy for me. I found the bed extremely comfortable and the shower was wonderful. The bath products are also very nice, much nicer than at other MO properties.

There has been a lot of criticism of the technology in the rooms and complaints that they are too complex. Perhaps it is my younger age and residue of growing up with computers, but it seemd pretty intuitive. The HD LCD TV was great, as was the speaker system. The phone took a few minutes to master, but then it was easy. I also liked that the LCD TV in the bathroom was adjustable. It was odd though that it didn't have all the channels of the larger TV and that the networks were on different channels.

On the negative side, the restaurant remains a problem. Though our food was consistent, if not overpriced ($90 for breakfast daily), the service was irregular. They never quite got everything right. We were not served bread the first day, but it came the second day. We were given a small amuse one day, but not the next. I had to ask for butter for my toast. No huge faux-pas, but annoying.

Finally, one of the thing I like to do if I like a hotel and think I may come back is to ask for a tour of other room types I might book. They did not seem to know what to do with this request. First I was told no problem. Then the second person to get on the phone told me that it was not possible because not only did nobody have time (!!!!!), but I would need to make an appointment with the front office. What did she think I was, a reporter wanting to do a story? I was a guest, and they should have been happy to show me other rooms. At this time it was 1:30 in the afternoon and she finally said that the only person on staff who could show me around was not going to be back until "this afternoon" and could I stay in my room until she came back. When I informed her that it was already "this afternoon" and asked what she meant she said 2 p.m. Seeing as it was was 30 minutes and I had no plans I said fine. When nobody called me by 2:30 I left for the "afternoon." Over the course of 2 days they were never able to fulfill my quite simple request. We left without seeing other rooms, something that might have enticed me to spend money for a better room or suite next time. Their loss. It won't stop us from returning, but was an annoying way to end our stay.

Read this review- *4 star at best*

by TripAdvisor Member TrvlSavy

All the previous comments are fairly acurate. I believe the reason for the flux in reviews is that the hotel is new, still getting adjusted, although it’s been operational almost a year. I stayed twice, once in the opening, and my stay this time has improved slightly.

There is no one way to go about having a perfect stay at this hotel, because the staff's attitude varies with great degree. Melissa at the concierge desk is an exception, her service is what it should be, warm and efficient. Lobby service is so-so, if you compare it to the breakfast service in Asiate, which is a bomb. Their is a simple lack of communication between managers that I witnessed in both these areas. The bar has a desirable vibe, overpriced drinks as one would expect. Spa is awesome, although overpriced. I know this is NY, but please, $240 for a massage, contribute to inflation a little more please...

My next comment would be about the rooms themselves. I received a significant discount on my room, over $1,000-because I pointed out a list on departure-of things that were not meeting my price point. The windows in the rooms do not substitute for the lack of sq. ft. in the room. I ordered room service one night, and the server couldn't even fit the cart of food into the room (the corner of the bed prevented it). Who designed this room I wondered? The bathrooms are among the best I've seen, Mercer being the best in my opinion.

Final thought: No need to pay the outrageous published rates, I called this hotel a dozen times, spoke with 5 different people, including Lara who is a manager, and found them guilty in not offering the lowest available rate, when I asked them. This is not a good practice, and Mandarin needs to understand their clients, like me, who don't have time to spend arguing about little negative incidental happenings that come up as a result of under-educating staff, and lack of a clear vision about what a 5-star, 6-star hotel should be in NYC...keep wishing Mandarin, you don't deserve it, at least not yet.

Mandarin Oriental Lobby LoungeMandarin Oriental Lobby Lounge

Mandarin Oriental LobbyMandarin Oriental Lobby

Mandarin Oriental LobbyMandarin Oriental Lobby

Fried Plantains with dipFried Plantains with dip

Luxury Hotels

by VisitingNY

I've heard that the Ritz-Carlton is supposedly the most luxurious hotel in Manhattan. I was wondering if anyone thought differently, perhaps the St. Regis? I'm looking for somewhere with those little extra touches, and it will be in winter so also somewhere "cosy". Thanks in advance.

by IsabelBalboa

I hear the Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental are the best in the city. I usually stay at the W Court or W Tuscany in mid town which are small hotels, not as pricey as the ones you mention and the rooms are a good size. Good location too, close to the theater district. Go to Travel Adviser and also to Travel and Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler sites where they list the top hotels.

by 10028

Here are some of the top class hotels in the city: Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, St. Regis, Four Seasons, Peninsula, Pierre, Sherry-Netherland, Trump International. You can read reviews and see Candid Traveler Photos on tripadvisor.com.

by travelmad478

It's hard to say which is the "most luxurious." Plenty of hotels (as mentioned in the post above) are extremely high-end and plush--but they have very different decor and style. The Mandarin Oriental is a high-rise that was just built a few years ago--it's very expensive and on the glitzy and modern side, on the southwest corner of Central Park. Meanwhile, the Peninsula is also very expensive, but it's an older hotel and has a more ornate style of decor and service (and it's located in East Midtown, which feels very different). If I were you I'd go to their websites and choose which kind of luxury suits you the best.

The thing about these hotels is that they are quite large. It's hard to get much of a feeling that you're getting personal service and little extra touches, not to mention coziness, when you're one of several hundred people staying in the hotel.

by dave_wr8

I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton Central Park & its very nice, good location & good staff. I'd say luxury is hard to define, but the general decor is old world opulance as opposed to modern minimalistic, it's expensive but I couldn't fault the service, plus they have a limo you can book to take you to shows etc. just ask at concierge.

if you could stay anywhere in nyc....

by klcslp1234

If you could pick any hotel to stay at in NYC where would it be? For instance, if your looking for that one place to stay that would be a definite "wow I Love this place" where would you stay.

Thanks

by stevenpeck

Try the Crowne Plaza at 49th & Broadway, ive stayed in better hotels but this has an ideal location for site seeing. Its in close proximity to Radio City, Rockafeller centre, Times Sq and not far from 5th ave for shopping and Empire State Bld. Obviously this is a mid town hotel so its also close to central park.

by sgny

Mandarin Oriental in the Time Warner Center. That is, if you have an unlimited budget. Big bucks, but beautiful hotel with gorgeous views of Central Park. If someone else is paying that's where I'm staying. As a more realistic approach you can't go wrong with the Crown Plaza. Enjoy.

RE: RE: if you could stay anywhere in nyc....

by 10028

I'd go for the Sherry-Netherland or the Pierre, for the park views and the old world luxury. But then, the St. Regis does give you your own valet. From what I hear (I've never stayed there), the Four Seasons is "the" most luxurious NY hotel.

I'm not a fan of the Crowne Plaza. The Italian boutique hotel, the Michelangelo, is far superior and one block away.

RE: RE: if you could stay anywhere in nyc....

by jbel2879

I second the Four Seasons.
For smaller boutique hotel, the Lowell.
I have a review of the latter in my NYC travel pg.

by vtnyc

For breathtaking views of Central Park, The Mandarin Oriental

need a recommendation for a hotel near Central Park

by jsheets

My wife and I are going to NYC in October. Many years ago we stayed at the Mayflower near Columbus Circle. We liked it but I understand it's gone now.

Any recs on a hotel with a Central Park view that costs less than $400 a night?

Thanks so much.

Re: need a recommendation for a hotel near Central Park

by 10028

That view is very expensive! You could try Le Parker Meridien. It's a couple of blocks away, on W. 57th St., but some of the rooms on the higher floors have park views. They've also got a rooftop swimming pool with an incredible view of the park.

Other hotels with park views are the Mandarin Oriental, Trump International, Jumeirah Essex House, Ritz-Carlton, Park Lane, Sherry-Netherland, Pierre. But you wouldn't find anything in any of those for under $400.

Also take a look at the Excelsior. It doesn't have park views, but it's just down the street from Central Park, across from the Museum of Natural History. The views of W. 81st St. would be beautiful, facing the museum and the park surrounding it. I just love the upper west side!

Comments