Manhattan Hotel

Rated 25% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

More about Manhattan Hotel

best offer outside manhattan

by psalm151000 about hotel for 4

i stayed here for 4 nights. it cost 319 dollars.With travelling into new york on the train it was another 56 dollars.total 375 dollars /183 pounds.this was a bargain as hotels in manhattan were around 150 dollars anight.The hotel had a bus which took you to the train.it ran regulary.it was free.The room had 2 double beds with 2 chested drawers.There was a telephone in the room. an ensuite.Aplace to make tea or coffee.The only down sisde was the service.The employees were grumpy and ill mannered.But besides this my stay was comfortable. I would reccommend it to others. The only thing i could reccomend was the price.

Little Gem

by Thommmo56 about Verve Hotel - Queens

Top little hotel, 100 yards from nearest subway (Queens Plaza), saved plenty by staying here instead of Manhattan. Hotel was very clean and fairly new by the looks, bathroom were very clean with quality toiletries.
The local area is a bit industrial but for the savings made and the near location to Manhattan we could live with that.

Access. From JFK, Skytrain meets up with Jamaica, just ask which platform and about 35 mins get off at Queens Plaza, 100 yard walk and your there

Tip, get up to Astoria (Queens) for a day (coupla bucks in a cab), we missed this as we were to busy consentrating on the big ticket items. Price was excellent, local area is a bit industrial, looks a bit shady but it was ok

What happened to the Cute Brownstone!!!

When I booked the hotel a picture of cute brownstone with spacious rooms was shown!! We get there and walk right pass the place because there is no official sign. I then find myself entering a Internet Cafe( which is ridiculous because it consisted of two laptops and a pot of coffee) So the conceirge(haha) warns me that the room may LOOK small, oH my God if you open a door and it hits the edge of the bed and will not open any farther do you call that LOOKING SMALL!! I could go on and on about the negatives of this hotel, but I will just end on a note that if you would close your eyes for a moment and imagine a clean room with a huge soft bed with fluffy pillows wonderfully large windows that allow the light to radiate in and warm your soul a 27 in tv with cable, full size cotton towels and storage space for luggage and will comfortably accomadate four people..now open your eyes and think of all the opposites of what I described and Viola there is your room at the Manhattan Broadway!! Enjoy your Stay

Fly from overseas, or drive...

by Stjen981

Fly from overseas, or drive from Canada or Mexico.
Driving is great if you want to see lots of the countryside -- highways are littered with food stops and cheap hotels. On the other hand, distances are long -- and sometimes boring (like across Kansas, flat and nothing there!) For national flights, try the ultra-budget airline Southwest (www.southwest.com), they offer specials like $39 one-way from Chicago to Denver and things like that. Greyhound buses are an option (www.greyhound.com) and so is Amtrak (train -- www.amtrak.com).

Why is this terrible Hotel still on recommended lists?

We had the misfortune of staying in this hotel four weeks ago. The hotel was a disgrace. The beds were filthy that my friend and I slept on top of the beds with our coats as blankets. The "maids" (ha ha) then stole my friend's own bath towel which she was using as a cover. What was strange as they only supplied small hand towels themselves. There were hairs lying everywhere among the inches of dust. The four nights we stayed there, not a hair was moved! The spongey carpet meant you did not take your shoes off. The peep hole on the ceiling tile above our bathtub was very obvious. I wanted to write "clean me" in the inch thick dust in the hallway, but as there were CCTV cameras everywhere decided best not too. Okay, yes it is a budget hotel, cheap but not cheerful at all. They could at least cleaned the place, out of respect for themselves. Location was good though and felt ok at night.

Oh you'll leave the light on!! We'll leave the light on!!

by TripAdvisor Member longoverdue

We got a lot for $175.00 !! Cockroaches, dirty sheets still with hair on the pillows and we had not even slept there yet! We captured the live roaches and put them in our ice bucket. Brought it to the front desk. REACTION ..honest to God.."Would you like another room"? We wanted to leave but it was a holiday (eve of Thanksgiving Day 2002) and there was NO hotel to be found!! They put us in a just cleaned room, maid was still in there mind you. When she left we did not dare open our suitcases for fear we would bring home "GUESTS"! The sheets were also dirty, mold in the bathroom, did not mind the bunkbeds but everyone (4 of us) wanted the top bunk! We laid in bed all night on top of the beds, coats and hoods, with all the lights on. We were entertained all night by listening to the swearing and fighting in the hallway. We were so happy to get up in the morning to find several liquor bottles and garbage outside our window on the fire escape (5th Floor)! The owner of the hotel never seemed to speak english. Only when he answered the telephone did he speak english perfectly. I tried to fight for some of our $175.00 back but their feelings were.."You stayed, you pay". End of story!

At least the band was good!

by TripAdvisor Member RichSBarnsley_UK

Well at least it was cheap...and thats really were the good stuff ends!

We visited in Sept 2002 and it looks like nothings changed.

I was concerned when, after booking online, I couldn't find anything about this hotel on the internet - no reviews or anything apart from the 3rd party booking site...that is until I came across the reviews on this site and then I was filled with dread and rightly so.

At least I was slightly prepared, if I hadn't read a review I wouldn't have been able to point out to the Airport Shuttle Bus driver that this was indeed our hotel...yes thats it...the door between the grotty looking chinese and the dry cleaners. The reception was small and not at all welcoming. They said our room was ready and after the smelly elevator ride we found it. It was small, gloomy and certainly not ready...the bed was unmade, in fact it looked as though someone had just got up - dirty sheets with stains on and used condom packets on the floor!

We dumped our cases and informed reception that the room had not been cleaned and we went for a walk round the locality - that is one thing it has going for it, its convenient for the sights. When we got back the room had at least been cleaned and the bed made. The carpet seemed to have bubble wrap underneath (and didn't meet the walls) as everytime we walked across it it sounded like there was plastic underneath. There were holes in the ceiling. The bathroom was clean though mysteriously we had a sink plunger rather than a toilet brush - we soon found out why as the toilet regularly got blocked up!

Having arrived on a long haul flight from the UK we were rather tired on our first evening so opted for an early night (well 10pm was 3am to us!) but we were treated to a rendition of 1 song over and over again from what we later found out to be rehearsal studios next door! The band sounded good - if we'd been in a bar AND they had more than 1 song in their set! They finally finished about 12:30 so on any other night this wouldn't really have bothered us - just don't plan for an early night to get over the jetlag!

Not one to return to - its cheap for NY but still a rip off....spend another $50 and enjoy your stay in the city!

alarmed

by TripAdvisor Member amla

having read the reviews before my recent trip my friend and i were very alarmed at some of the statements and even tried to book another hotel,i even took my own sheets as was suggested.however i did not need them. the room was rather small with no wardrobe but the beds were made daily and clean towels every day too! considering we were only crashing there late every night it was ok,right in the heart of everything. also Sandra on reception was very friendly helpful girl and made us feel very welcome.

Not as bad as expected!!!

I'll begin by saying that if you're used to four/five star accomodation - BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! Okay, if you're looking for a place to stay for a few days etc. like me (I was in New York for Wrestlemania same as every other person in the hotel!!!) and you don't want to spend much on hotels and are not planning to spend your whole time in the room then this might be the place for you. Yes, the rooms are small but I was alone so big enough, the bathroom was clean, room was clean (no bugs etc.) and I got clean towels everyday. Staff were extremely helpful and the location is ideal for sightseeing. Area felt completely safe and never once did I feel that anything dodgy was going to happen!!! Lift was big enough for three big guys plus luggage, my valuables were not stolen and I enjoyed the experience immensely (have been to far worse hotels in Asia) In closing, don't believe everything that is written here - different people have different standards and I found it to be ideal for people who don't spend that much time in their room (I was far too busy!!!)

manhattan broadway

by jls82801

Does anyone have any comments on the Manhattan Broadway hotel (273 w. 38th street)? I just want a place to stay at night. as long as it is clean i dont care! Also how is that location?

also Im looking into the best western ambassador hotel but it seems as though the manhattan broadway is more in the center of things (times square chinatown ect...)

Please help!! I dont really want to spend more than $110 per night

thanks!

Re: manhattan broadway

by joesorce

I only have experience with one budget hotel, very good location near times square, it's sister hotel across the street looked decent too.

www.portlandsquarehotel.com

The lower price rooms have shared bath, the higher have private bath.

Comments