Mansfield Hotel

The Mansfield
Booking.com Expedia.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Great little Boutique Hotel

After months of trailing the internet for somewhere to stay in NY city I finally settled on the Mansfield Hotel. Boy am I glad i did..

For starters the hotel has a great location... Its on 12W, 42nd St (between 5th & 6th ave). This means your close enough to things like Times square, the Rockefeller center, diamond district and Broadway.. And only a short walk down to the Empire State building and Macy's..

The hotel itself has 9 different types of rooms to choose from, depending on how much you wanna spend.

* Chambre Petite
    * Club Row Suite
    * The Jennings Apartment
    * The Two Bedroom Apartment
    * The Renwick Duplex Penthouse

I decided to go for the Chambre Petite as I felt I wouldn't be spending much time in it anyways.. This is the smallest type of room in the hotel but still big enough to fit a double bed in it..
    The room also had a large lcd tv, mini bar, safe and desk. Not to mention the en suite which had shower and toilet.

The room was always supplied with clean linen and the cleaners were excellent.. I had left a ton of unwanted shopping bags and crap and they took care of it for me..

The staff at the hotel were excellent.. Very friendly and helpful.. Especially the concierge, as he was able to organize roses and campaign for the room for valentines day.. even though he was under pressure to sort everyone else out..

The hotel also has a bar, restaurant and internet access. I didn't get a chance to try the restaurant but there was always a good crowd in it whenever I walked past it..

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It ticked all the boxes for me...

Directions: Between 5th and 6th Ave. Uptown.

From JFK you can get a bus to Grand Central station or the Port Authority station. Each are only 2 blocks from the hotel... Which is nothing...

• tigerlily_21's Profile Photo

Small, Cozy, Elegant, Excellent Location

Comfortable rooms, big beds and a staff that caters to your needs. It's located at a prime spot. Check the link provided below on more information on the hotel accommodations

Unique Quality: Excellent staff night and day....good service is the best. Has a downstairs bar and a real cozy waiting room..complete with free coffee. All the rooms have internet access :-) Hotel offers discounted fee for the gym located conveniently in the area

Directions: Midtown area

More about Mansfield Hotel

Not so sure about Mansfield!

Had I not gotten my room here for 75.00 on Priceline, I would have had to find another place to stay. T

The room was very tiny, which wasn't that much of a problem since I was staying alone. However, the one usable window had a lovely view of a brick wall. I had to call friends to ask what the weather was like every day! There was no complimentary robe, as they stated in an ad I read.

They did not refill shampoo and conditioner until I found a housekeeper in the hall and got them from her.

You should make sure you have change for the meters for yourself or guests because I could not get any from either the front desk or the bar. At 9:00 p.m., you would think at least the bar would have some change available, but they either could not or just would not give us any.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a regular practice or not, but a $200.00 hold was put on my credit card for "incidentals". I find that amount ridiculous! The hold was not taken off of 2 days!

At this point, I'm not sure it was even worth the $75.00 a night.

Vermont: Mount Mansfield

by Stephen-KarenConn

Mount Mansfield is the very best of Vermont. At 4,393 it is the highest peak in the Green Mountains. This is where the Von Trapps of "The Sound of Music" fame settled and built their lodge after they escaped Hitler's Austria, and visitors can still stay at the Trapp Family Lodge today. Winter sports enthusiastists flock here to the famous Stowe Ski Resort, and in spring, summer and fall sighseers drive the 4.5 mile gravel toll road to the summit, the highest point in the Green Mountain State.

I have come here twice, the first time in fall when the mountainsides were ablaze with autumn foilage and the air was crisp and clean. On the second trip it was late spring, when wildflowers were blooming in profusion and dairy cattle were grazing on new green grass. It's on my list to return someday in winter when the peaks are white with snow. On that first trip I avoided the road and booted it to the top of Mount Mansfield in my ongoing quest to visit the highest point in every state. On the second trip, I enjoyed a few of the other trails which are found in the area. A hiker will never be bored here. Those who simply enjoy beautiful scenery will discover a new visual feast at nearly every turn.

Maps of trails in the Mount Mansfield State Forest and environs may be obtained from the address below.

Contact:
Mount Mansfield State Forest
324 North Main Street
Barre, VT 05641

New England
Traditionally, New...

by DesertRat

New England

Traditionally, New England refers to the six very small states in the Northeast corner of the country: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. This region is compact and ideally suited for Europeans who want a taste of the country without having to spend endless time either flying or driving. It’s also quite varied: the coast of Maine is easily as rugged as Scotland or Ireland, while the coast of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut is much more akin to the North Sea coast of Germany or Holland. Flying into the region from Europe is also convenient, for there are frequent flights to both Boston and New York/Newark from most major European centers. Photo: Fall in New England is a visual banquet. Here, a skift of snow dusts Vermont's Mt. Mansfield.

Love this Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member Rachoo78

My sister and I stayed here at the Mansfield Hotel in July 2004 and absolutely loved it! The style and atmosphere was very european and the staff was so friendly. Our flight arrived in nyc very early and they let us have our room at noon instead of 3pm. The complimentary breakfast in the bar was excellent! The room decor was far above any average hotel and very chic. The location is perfect...only a couple blocks from Times Square and the subway. We loved having wireless internet access, although it didn't seem to work in our room since we were on the 8th floor, however it worked great in the reading room and bar. The A/C worked great in our room and was refreshing after a hot, humid day. Just be sure not to turn off the a/c while using the hairdryer. We blew a fuse twice. I plan on taking my husband to nyc for our anniversary and we'll definitely be staying at the Mansfield Hotel!

Great Location

Having read some of the reviews of the Mansfield about the room size, staff etc we were a little bit worried about what we might find when we arrived. I can honestly say that most weren't justified. This was our first trip to New York and can definitely say we couldn't have had a better location for a hotel. We literally walked everywhere with Times Square 5 mins away, 5th Avenue at the end of the road, Empire State near by etc etc.

We emailed ahead and asked for a quiet room and was given one on the 11th floor (so away from the traffic noise). The room was more than adequate in size and the bathroom size was fine (although the tiles could have done with scrubbing a bit). The CD player in the room worked, as did the air con and the coffee in the rest room was always on tap. When our safe didn't work we had someone come to our room within minutes. Staff were friendly and courteous too. We had breakfast included which was a nice surprise. It was only continental (bagels, cereal, cakes etc) but as we knew we would be eating lots during our stay this was fine. Only thing I would say is it can get crowded and seats/tables get full quickly.

So all in all our first trip to New York was fantastic and the weather was surprisingly warm. We did find food and drink quite expensive - more than we expected but bar staff, waiters etc were very friendly. We would definitely go back to New York and even stay at the Mansfield.

Worth staying.

by TripAdvisor Member Dave050

Just arrived back from N.Y. 13th March04 stayed at Mansfield. As per other reviews nice hotel great location, room size ok as stayed in delux, but bathroom tiny ( with phone) but you cope. Found staff ok, ( not over polite or indeed in polite). Rooms cleaned everyday and 2 bottles of water were left each day as well. Beds nice size and comfy and I would stay here again.

Only one problem, ( as per a prev review I've read) heating can be a problem as the control on the wall was broken and the heating came on as and when.The main problem tended to be in the middle of the night ie 2/3am when it would start making a nosie and come on full blast and become stiffling.( which gave you a heavy head and dry throat ) If you opened the window you then had to put up with the nosie of the cabs beeping and fire engines.( as we were in a room 4 floors up at front) We did call a maintenance guy, but he could not fix it either. As I said prev.I would stay here again BUT seriously suggest to check if heating works properly before making a booking, sorry if it seems petty but both myself and partner did not get 1 full nights sleep all week without waking up at least once.

I Agree - It's Awful

I agree with the original poster here - the Mansfield was a huge disappointment.

Most of the staff were *somewhat* cordial and helpful, but they were just as often standoffish and indifferent - preferring to chat with one another while guests waited for attention.

And one young woman who (unfortunately) worked the main desk most days we were there was truly inept. She not only asked us to wait more than two hours to check in - which we gladly agreed to do as we arrived at 1:00 PM - but she informed us upon our return at 3:30 PM that there were STILL no clean rooms available. She had "given them all away" and had "no idea" when housekeeping might make another one available.

When we complained and threatened to go across the street to the Sofitel, she magically found one. Really lame.

She also had no clue about the area (Midtown) and when asked about the dates of the upcoming GOP Convention in NYC, she said she didn't even know WHAT it was, let alone WHEN it was!

The rooms are BEYOND tiny - they are almost too small to change clothes in, let alone sleep, shower or relax. Ours was kept clean, but the window unit air conditioner ran full blast almost all the time - no matter the setting - and kept us awake almost all night, freezing under the blankets.

On the lighter side (depending upon how you look at it), we were able to hear every word the couple in the room next door said to one another (they weren't yelling, either), and were also priviliged to hear every detail of the intimate encounters they engaged in . . . at 6:30 each morning.

We didn't need the alarm clock as a result, and we're certainly not prudes -- but I'd worry about explaining this if I were the type to have small children in tow.

;-)

As a frequent visitor to Manhattan (business and pleasure), I have stayed in hotels all over Midtown. The Sofitel is, in fact, fabulous -- as is the new Westin at 43rd and 8th. Why I didn't just go back to one of those, I'll never know.

The Mansfield is probably the worst hotel experience I have had in NYC in recent years (certainly the most disappointing in that lofty price range). For that amount of money, they need to either double the size of the rooms or radically improve the attitude/abilities of their staff . . . preferably both.

It's nowhere near special enough to be so cramped, so lackluster and so brimming with attitude. Aveda shampoos and rinky-dink rack stereo systems don't fool anybody.

Beware the online description

Reading the reviews of the Mansfield and seeing so many people give it an above average rating, I'm wonderning if we even stayed in the same hotel.
I booked this hotel through Expedia and it was a nightmare from beginning to end. So much so that I contacted Expedia on my return about their deceptive description.
When I booked it, it was rated as 4 stars ( a fact which I disputed.) I see Expedia has now changed it to three. They told me that they put it at four at the time because they had a bar which makes no sense to me.
I paid for a deluxe room. The first night I was there, I was put into a room that was so small that absolutely literally there was no place for my suitcase (regular size) on the floor. Nor did it fit on the narrow shelf. I ended up sleeping with it on the bed. The window didn't open and was over a dark narrow alley.
They next day I complained and to their credit, they moved me to a "suite", saying they'd put me in the wrong room--well below the price I paid.
The suite was a joke. Firstly, the toilet in the bathroom was position facing a wall and was so close (about three inches) that you literally couldn't sit on it straight. I brought a friend in to look at it, it was such a joke. You had to sit sideways but then the sink was so close to you that you literally had to manuever yourself and lean over to the left to avoid getting jabbed by the sink. Neither phone worked in the room as there was some kind of short no the line. I needed to call England and each time the person answered the phone would short out. I tried five times in a row and ended up incurring a $75 bill to talk to nobody. The hotel refused to refund the money when I complained despite the fact that the charges were clearly all in a row and just a few moments. Aparently, although the phone shorted out on my end it took a few more minutes for the line to clear so I had five five minute calls in a row which they insisted that I spoke to someone.
Here are some highlights from the Expedia description and the truth:
1. Business center. This really ticked me off because their "busines center" is quite literally a closet in the lobby that they've put one computer in.
2. Wireless internet access in room. I arrived as a business traveller, desperately needing my computer. I checked this facilty BEFORE I booked my hotel. When I arrived I was told that there was wireless access in the room, but you needed to have one of the hotel's airport cards for your computer to access it and they didn't have any more cards because they only had five total and they were all being used. I never received one. I was told I could use the "business center" which constantly had another guest at it's one computer in the closet--probably because they didn't have an wireless card either.
3. There was no non-wireless internet access in the room.
4. Room service said breakfast was available. There was no room service for breakfast. The supposedly free breakfast was no where in site when I was there. I was told upon checkout that it was in a small room off the lobby but nobody ever mentioned this nor was it in any hotel information.
5. The voice mail didn't work on my phone. I had a friend leave me a message for dinner which showed up two full days later.
6. Designer wardrobe. This was a pole with a curtain that pulled around it. (This little tidbit has since been removed from Expedia).
7. Premium bedding. Forget it.

The last bit is that in the "Suite" I was in, the windows overlooked an alley with the rubbish bins. The smell when you opened the window was disgusting.

Booking this hotel was the second time that a description of a hotel was completely overblown on Expedia. I will never book through them again. Their star ratings are completely unreliable. The hotel staff told me themselves that they only put themselves as a three star but Expedia lists it as four because of the bar. Expedia, I notice, has since downgraded the stars (after I complained to about 4 different people) and changed some of the description.
But the Expedia service is totally misleading so beware on all hotel descriptions and this hotel was truly more of a two star than anything else.
There's way too many nicer three stars in New York to live through the Mansfield.

Mount Mansfield, VermontMount Mansfield, Vermont

New York

by Pavarotti

I'm thinking of visiting New York in july and I was hoping some of you can give me suggestions what I must see in 3-4 days time. Can you also tell me some hotels or apartments where I can sleep and it's not very expensive.

Is there any day trips you can recommend.

Anything would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

by Russ60

Theres lots to do in NYC we stayed for three days also, so it was a quick tour around at breakneck speed.
Check my webpage for some ideas.

by Jess3581

Since ur thinking of going in July, Seaport is a nice place to visit. They also have cool bars/resturants around that area. Also, Dowtown by broadway and soho is a very nice area just walk and look at the shops and u have various choices to eat. Many bars/resturants and lounges at this area. The hotels that I know that are not too expensive is in midtown. You can try the The Mansfield Hotel which is on 44th Street bet. fifth and 6th avenues. U can also try looking at citysearch.com for hotels in NYC and less expensive ones. Good luck and I hope u enjoy ur stay in NYC.

Jessica

Re: Re: New York

by mandamoomoo

I really enjoyed the Milford Plaza Hotel. Located very close to Times Square and very reasonable. Rooms are rather small, but I would assume you'll only be in the room to sleep correct? Who spends their New York vacation in the room. Anyhow, subways are everywhere within walking distance too so that's real convenient. I'll be going back in mid February. Have fun!

by clairegeordio

I would recommend the Milford Plaza, which I stayed in in September. It is in a great location, round the corner from Times Square, the rooms are clean and comfortable. Was around £220 for 5 nights.
You must go up the Empire State building both night and daytime. We took a 2hr cruise round Manhatten which was good. The ferry to the Statue of Liberty is a must as is Central Park.

Comments