Marrakech Hotel

Tags

Business Travel Trains Disabilities
See Amenities

Not worth it. Spend the extra $50 for a good place

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 23, 2011

The website paints a beautiful hotel that we were thrilled to visit. Apparently, great lighting and good photographer can do wonders. WARNING - there are no elevators in this multi-floor hotel. Three story walk straight up to the lobby (small). Thank goodness nobody in my party had any kind of disability. The rooms are small, a cloth covered metal shelf for a closet is just ok for your belongings. Don't expect a fridge, safe or even more than one roll of toilet paper at a time. The European linens line is such a joke. They are scratchy, lumpy and the mattress is unbearable. I am still sore from sleeping in it. The hallways are very narrow and not lit very well. The building is like a huge maze and it is easy to get lost. The business center is two computers that you stuff dollar bills in and a printer on a chair. Don't even think about privacy. Ha! Spend the extra $50 a night and get a good hotel.

Unique Quality: No stairs, no closets.

Directions: 103rd and Broadway.

Don't pay for BED BUGS!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 26, 2010

I booked my hotel blindly on Travelocity's "Top Secret Hotel Deals". Great location, three stars, for a great rate, seemed like a steal at the time. But now, not only do I have to deal with bed bugs for 3-6 weeks, but I have to pay for the privilege! I stayed at the Marrakech Hotel. This hotel absolutely has bed bugs. They are not taking their bug problem seriously. Therefore if you stay at this hotel, you will be bitten by bed bugs, you will have to deal with this disgusting problem for a month, and your subsequent pleas will fall on deaf ears.

My reports to management weren't taken seriously and they tried to pawn my bite marks off on other city attractions (that I didn't got to). I am positive that I was attacked by bed bugs at this hotel. I was only in town for a few days on business and the only time I held still long enough for the bugs to get me was when I was sleeping. I know they are bed bug bites because they were verified by my doctor. When I contacted the hotel to report this problem, I was told that they were unaware of any bed bug problem, however the internet reviews I've read since then would prove otherwise. Also, refuting the possibility of them not knowing was when the manager Keith told me that they would do "what they normally do" in these situations and call in an exterminator to see what they could find. (Notice they have a normal way to handle problems that they don't know they have.) Keith said that he would call me back the following day... that was a week ago.

travelfrosch's Profile Photo

WARNING: Illegal Hotel!

by written on April 24, 2008

UPDATE: I've just received information that this hotel is illegal. Do not stay here!

The Hotel Marrakech is conveniently located near the subway in an interesting neighborhood just a few blocks from Central Park West. Reception is impressive, with sophisticated all-black clad doormen, Middle-East-style jazz music playing in reception, and professional, friendly staff. I was staying in a "Superior" room, which was in an isolated section toward the back of the hotel. The hallways and rooms were quite dark, and my room had a "view" of the building about 20 feet across the alley. On the positive side, it was away from Broadway and therefore relatively quiet.

The room itself was fairly spacious (by Manhattan standards). While the room's cleanliness wasn't exactly up to Swiss standards (hint: do NOT put your change of clothes on the bathroom windowsill!), it was comfortable and secure. The hotel offers a bar and internet access among its amenities. While the hotel does not provide breakfast, there are several restaurants within 3 blocks that offer all sorts of breakfast and coffee options (to include a Starbucks next door).

Directions: On the corner of Broadway and 103rd Street. By subway, take the 1 Train to 103rd Street. If you're coming from downtown, your best bet is to board the express 2 or 3 Trains to 96th street, then board the local 1 train across the platform 1 stop to 103rd.

SisterMoon's Profile Photo

Great stay at a great price

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 21, 2007

My friend and I thought this was a great hotel for a great price, especially for New York City. The staff was helpful and friendly, especially the guy who ran the breakfast bar. He could rattle off a dozen restaurant suggestions within a few blocks, and his suggestion to get to the Empire State Building early was excellent. Just after we got there, a line started forming, so he saved us a lot of time.

The room and bathroom were small, but we were only in there to sleep and shower, so who cares? The beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept on, ditto for the pillows. Not once did I wake up with a stiff back or neck. The room and bathroom were clean, and our beds were made and towels restocked every day. We had a nice wardrobe to store our clothes in, plus a luggage rack. Only complaint there is more hangers would have been nice.

The location also couldn't have been better. For one thing, the route for the M60 bus from LaGuardia stops just three blocks from the Marrakech. Can't beat a $2 ride into the city! Also, the 103rd Street subway stop is just across the street, and we found tons of great restaurants nearby.

The only downside was the dark hallways and many staircases, so I definitely wouldn't recommend this to travelers with disabilities (or at least with disabilities that affect their walking/climbing), and it might be difficult for the elderly as well. Heck, it was difficult for me! But I'm not complaining; I'd highly recommend the Marrakech.

Directions: Broadway at 103rd Street, just west of Central Park.

shohman's Profile Photo

Funky Morrocan theme

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 18, 2007

Thanks to Hexepatty, I got an incredible deal on this hotel. Located on the upper west side right at the 103 street subway stop. The lobby of this hotel is very funky, lots of ceramic tiles and Morrocan fixtures. The staff was very nice and helpful, although they did walk into our room once without knocking and also forgot to leave soap when they cleaned. Still, If I could afford regular the price I would stay here all the time.

Unique Quality: very funky lobby. Rooms are basic, but in good condition.

Directions: Broadway and 103

tigerjapan's Profile Photo

Nothing "Malibu" About This Place

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 23, 2005

Not all rooms have private bath or AC.
Rooms are simple and small. The beds are a little saggy, but mostly the rooms are comfy, if not luxurious. Each has a TV, bathroom, mirrors, phone, and a desk. Hallways twist and turn like crazy. Don't get too drunk or you might never find it and have to sleep in the hall. No views to speak of, but the staff were friendly enough. Not really a hotel as much as an expensive backpackers, but with private rooms... maybe that's going a bit far... for a budget hotel in NY it is quite good. The staff are friendly and offer more services than other budget hotels - In-room food, transportation to airport etc.
The hotel is on a very busy block of Broadway. Carribbean-flavored neighborhood.

Unique Quality: Wonderful Mexican restaurant just downstairs. Some great lunch spots and Tom's Restaurant in walking distance.

Nearby Marrakech Hotel

Marrakech Hotel

• Hotel Marrakech New York
  • Marrakech Hotel New York City
  • Marrakech New York City

Address: 2688 Broadway, (formerly Malibu Hotel Broadway), New York City, New York, 10025, United States

5 Photos of Marrakech Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Marrakech Hotel

• Bar / Lounge
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Conrad New York
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews