Marriott Marquis New York City

Tags

Food and Dining Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Luxury Travel
See Amenities
princesitavale's Profile Photo

marriot marquis in times square

by written on May 27, 2010

I loved the elevators, they were really fast even though i was in the twentieth floor. The breakfast was a little overpriced, but you had the choice to go to starbucks inside the hotel. The rooms had an ok size, considering how many people come to new york. It had a flat screen with very useful channels for tourists, like the broadway channel, and a special channel only talking about the hotel. The view is spectacular, both from your window, the beautiful times square, and that famous restaurant in the 88th floor, that is giratory, the food was very delicious, but you have to do the entry, the main plate and the dessert, you also have to make a reservation, but if you do it the same day very early, you won't have troubles. it was very elegant. You can also buy tickets to broadway inside the hotel, and they deliver it to you, so you don't have to walk all the way to the theater. the taxi service was really safe as well, specially after the bomb threads, because they check them no matter what. it is the very best location for a hotel, if you like broadway, i personally went to a play every night. the food is a little overpriced in times square, so you might wanna try to eat somewhere else. There are a lot of city tour buses nearby, giving you opportunity to go through the city in two days.

Unique Quality: the view from your window as i said before, is spectacular, and if you go there, you can't miss the view from the restaurant "the view", is an experience you won't forget, it is a giratory restaurant. you can get a pretty good view from the gym, because it is made of windows, almost all of it, including the roof.. They turn on the lights in times square since six am, but the curtains are very useful, so you won't be bothered.

MSantiago613's Profile Photo

The WORST

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 13, 2010

Unique Quality: This place is the worst!!! The price does not match anything! The location is great but their prices are way out of control! There was no refridgerator inside, we paid $66.00 for TWO burgers (no drinks) and $80.00 for parking for one night- then to make matters worse the rooms are out dated and very small- just so bad for the price- there is a better hotel up the block called the Muse on 46th Street!

Directions: middle of time square

goodfish's Profile Photo

Sky High

by written on February 19, 2009

This is one of those hotels I wouldn't be writing about if it hadn't been for a business trip. Enormous, swanky and big-time expensive, this Marriott is right smack on Times Square and has all of the services you'd expect from an upscale hotel. Rooms are large and comfortable with marble baths, plasma TVs, luxury linens, internet and just about anything else you'd want. They're also blissfully quiet - a good thing since one of the noisiest, craziest, most insane areas of NYC is way down there below your windows!

The lobby, check-in desks, gift and coffee shops, lounges and some of the restaurants are on the 8th level. With the exception of a few escalators for conference areas on the bottom floors, the entire complex is accessed via a large bank of elevators that are magically programed to organize groups of guests by destination and demand. You punch the floor you want into a master keypad and it sends you to the elevator that will go to that floor. Sounds good in theory but at very busy times of the day the wait can be considerable.

4 restaurants (didn't eat at any of them) a sushi bar, several lounges, a fitness center, concierge and various other odds and ends round out the other services. The hotel is also right across from ABC studios so if you're an early riser, you can get up and join the morning crowd for Good Morning America tapings. We weren't wild about the Times Square area - wall-to-wall tourists, traffic and tacky shops - but it's centrally located and close to many Broadway theaters.

Unique Quality: Terrific views of Times Square but up and away from the madness. Large rooms for NYC hotels.

a5floor's Profile Photo

Marriot Marquis

by written on September 6, 2008

When I was in NYC (2008), I stayed at the Marriot Marquis Hotel. This hotel is situated on Broadway. Up here you walk right on the famous part of Broadway.

There are 49 floors, 1892 rooms and 57 suites. There are also 54 meeting rooms and 2 concierge levels.
The hotel has a smoke-free policy.

There is an airport shuttle to/from LaGuardia, JFK and Newark.

It is a nice hotel. Because there are so many rooms, it feels a bit of a 'mass production' of visitors.

Great views

by written on April 14, 2008

Stayed here for a few days the week before Christmas. Located in the heart of Times Square, perfect for seeing a Broadway show. Check out the Broadway Lounge for great views. Fairly spendy, but what else can you expect in NYC?

Unique Quality: The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, I didn't want to leave!

Directions: 45th and Broadway

alsport's Profile Photo

Luxury without the stuffiness

by written on August 28, 2007

I arrived at this hotel, after abruptly ending my stay at the Renaissance Times Square (you can see my comments on that hotel) and enjoyed by stay. It's location is in the heart of Times Square, the associates are very helpful, polite and friendly. It's a very busy hotel with a lot of action going on all around, but you dont' have any trouble getting in and out.
The elevators are unique in that you enter the floor that you want and are then directed to the elevator that will take you there.
Registration is on the eighth floor.

Unique Quality: Rooms are big and comfortable. Everything there was to my liking.

Directions: Right in the heart of Times Square.

grandmaR's Profile Photo

Notable Restaurant

by written on July 15, 2007

I have never stayed here. The only time I stayed overnight in NYC was in 1961, and I did stay near Times Square, but it was an older hotel than this one. The main claim to fame for this hotel is the restaurant which is called The View because it is the only rotating restaurant in NYC.

Property Information

* 49 floors, 1892 rooms, 57 suites
* 1888 The Room That Works guest rooms
* 54 meeting rooms, 101,450 sq ft of total meeting space
* 2 concierge levels

Unique Quality: It is a non-smoking hotel and does allow pets with a non-refundable clean-up fee of $200.00

Services

* Foreign exchange
* Housekeeping service daily
* Laundry on-site
* Room service, 6:00AM-2:00AM
* Safe deposit boxes, front desk
* Shoeshine stand
* Valet dry-cleaning
* Wheelchairs

Arial_27's Profile Photo

Quite the experience

by written on April 25, 2007

I was sooooo lucky to be able to stay in this fine hotel; normally would never be able to afford a place like this, but I was given a huge discount for being involved with the UN (it also helped that I was sharing a room with 3 other people.)

The rooms are nice sized, pretty much standard to what you would see in any hotel: they come with TV and cable, coffee maker, shampoo & conditioner (which they re-stock every day) two comfy chairs, comfy beds, a safe, closet, dressing table, and I believe for an extra charge there is high speed internet access (in 2007, this may be free by now - check their website.)

There's a pool, a really cool fitness room, lots of elevators, a swimming pool, food order room service, baggage service, etc.

Unique Quality: The greatest thing about it is how convenient walking distance it is from Times Square and many of the other shops and restaurants in the area. It has also appeared in movies.

Funny moment: I was watching "Fools Rush In" on TV in the hotel room and there is a sceane on Times Square where Mathew Perry is in a cab and drives right by the Marriott Marquis. I thought "Hey.. I'm in there right now!" lol

rsilva's Profile Photo

Good location, nice hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 24, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis for 5 nights as it was the venue of a conference I attended.
Location is very good, right in the middle of Times square with easy access to most tourist locations (on foot or using public transportation). Since it is on Broadway, you are close to all the major theaters and there is even a discount ticket office at the entrance (where you can get tickets for same-day shows at low prices).
The room was large enough and was clean (even though the carpet had a huge stain). The beds were comfortable and there were both large (American-style) and small (European-style) pillows, which was nice.
I was a bit disappointed to not have shower gel (there was only bath soap), but the shampoo and body lotion seemed to be good.
The futuristic elevators were very nice, and even though it could be quite busy, I never had to wait more than 3-4 minutes for a lift to/from the room.
There is a panoramic (and rotating) restaurant at the 48th/49th floor which gives you a nice view of the city.

I paid $259, which was a special conference rate, so it is definitely not cheap, but seems to be just over average price in New York

Unique Quality: Some things were quite annoying, though. On the last day, I wanted to show my girlfriend (who had arrived a few days later) the panoramic restaurant. We went up, asked a waiter if it was OK to go for a look and he said it was fine. After a couple of minutes this lady came running after us asking if we had a reservation and when we told her we hadn't we were rudely TOLD (not asked) to leave as people were eating and we were disturbing. All this in a buffet self-service restaurant, where everyone was walking around and we were careful not to walk up to tables where there were people seated.
When I checked out I mentioned this episode to the on-duty manager who apologized, (not very convincingly...) but did not tell us we could go back.
We then left our luggage at the concierge desk to go for a last walk, the person took the bags, stood in front of me and stared. After a moment he asked me "Do you need change sir"... My understanding is that you are supposed to tip if you want to. He did not leave until we gave him a couple of dollars.
After we came back, we went down to the taxi stands and asked for a taxi to the Airport. The person who got our bags obviously wanted a tip and I gave him what I had (a few dollars). He gave me a really dirty look and walked away shaking his head.

Bottom line: You are a good tipper, you get friendly service, if not, you are treated rudely. This is, in my opinion, unacceptable no matter what the "traditions" are.

Unique Qualities: Location, elevators, 24-hour health club.

pdoelger's Profile Photo

New Years Eve focal Point

by written on January 21, 2007

Perfect location, location, location . . . . Perfectly placed for your stay if you're going for Broadway Theatres, Theatres and more shows, Restaurant Row, Fox News, Macy's, Harold's Square, Radio City Music Hall and all the museums along Central Park.

I walked to almost all my destinations. 3 Broadway Shows, all the resaturants I wanted just 3 to 4 blocks from the hotel. Of course when you get tired of walking and need some energy, stop at any of the 50,000,000 Starbucks in Manhatten . . .Oh my, so may Starbucks. Geat places to eat are just a few more blocks away. I had a terrific lunch a Rhue 57. Another reat place to eat is Nobu 57. Get yourself down south to SOHO and there is Balthazar, a french style restaurant. Then back close to the Marquis, try Latanzi for italian food.

All the museums a person could see in a month are along Central Park. One that I enjoyed quite a lot was the Frick Museum. That's just up the block from the Metroploitan Museum of Art. While you are there walk across the street and take a ride on a horse drawn carriage. Cool. Futher south then Soho, visit the Jewish Heritage Museum. Quite an eye opener.

When you get tired of walking, grab a cab. . . but don't try hailing a cab when the light on top of the cab is turned off. Then they already have a fare. Look for a cab with the light on. Then they are looking for a fare.

Ground zero is pretty much un-viewable seeing as how they put tarpolins up around the entire site, The United Nations has tours, The Financial District, Wall Street, so many things to do and see.

I had a wonderful time in NYC and I look forward to returning when the temperatures are a bit more moderate.

Unique Quality: The entire city is unique and has its own rythms and smells. It is alive with life and the sounds. You can do anything in NYC. You can have anything in NYC.

Directions: Broadway Threater district, right in Times Square.

saw50st8's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in NYC

by written on July 17, 2006

The hotel is the ultimate in class, located in the best neighbourhood. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms and hotel are beautifully decorated. The located is right in Times Square, so you are close to all the action. Deals are always available for this hotel if you look around. I've paid as low as $129 a night (in NYC, thats a steal). There is always a show right in the hotel for you to see, as well as a really nice bar and restaurant. The public bathrooms are also beautiful and clean.

Unique Quality: The glass elevators are a must for a ride.

shutterlust's Profile Photo

Marriot Marquis - Times Square

by written on June 5, 2006

I spent two nights at the Marriot Marquis when I ran away from home.

Yes, I ran away to a Marriot hotel. Why? Because I was angry at my parents for not letting me go to Deborah McGovern's slumber party. My parents have that silly Marriot ownership deal and so, being the computer savvy kid that I was, used daddy's points to book two nights at the Marriot Marquis. It's a lovely hotel, with a fantastic set of elevators and a lovely lounge on the mezzanine. And it's right around the corner from the Spamalot Theatre and across the street from the Virgin megastore (My mom dragged me to the Josh Groban signing). It's a central location in Manhattan, even if it IS in Times Square (yech). I have good memories of that hotel...

However, like any and every other Marriot hotel, it has the basic set of toiletries, towels, bed, tv, table, area guides, etc. Typical.

Directions: In the center of Times Square

DJ_Rolo's Profile Photo

Sleeping In the Middle of Times Square

by written on September 1, 2005

Location, Location, Location.. The perfect place for a hotel, right in the middle of Times Square. Step outside and its bright lights big city. because its in the heart of NY i thought the rooms would be tiny. I was wrong. This room was almost twice the size of the room i stayed in at the Queens Sheraton. I mean it wasnt a mansion or anything, but i was just lead to believe that rooms in the city were closet size. The room was clean and very nice. The staff was very friendly. The only thing wrong with the hotel was, i guess they were in the middle of changing the elevator system, so only 10 of the 16 elevators were working. This sometimes caused congestion, but nothing too bad. Its interesting that the lobby is on the 8th floor. i guess its good so it keeps it seperate from public traffic. They have a gym that is 24 hours and free of use, but the internet access is $12.95. This should be included with the rates they charge here. Other than that, i have nothing but good things to say about the Marriott Marquis. I definitely recommend staying here.

Directions: Times Square - 45th and Broadway

At the Crossroads of the World...

by written on June 30, 2005

I've stayed in the Marriot Marquis at least two or three times. While it doesn't have a pool or hot tub, it does have a state of the heart fitness facility which was recently remodeled. If your arriving in LaGurdia or JFK, it's about a 20-25 minute drive from the hotel, (Crazy traffic!!!) When I travel, the most important aspect is SECURITY. I felt VERY SECURE at the Marriott. NYC is "your town, USA," meaning if you have common sense you should be fine. Police are plentiful in Times Square, but some of the streets beyond 60th street and below 30th street and beyond 4th and 8th avenue are sketchy. If your a tourist, there shouldn't be any reason why you would go beyond that anyway. Dine at the Encore and try the Pot Pie, you won't be disapointed. Front Desk and Conciege are very helpful. Check-in is quite fast (Time 5 minutes) Marriott Marquis is your best bet for NYC hotels (I've stayed in numerous ones...) Very Modern hotel...

Unique Quality: Great Views/

Times Square's best place to stay

by written on March 31, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different trips. 2 for business and 1 for a weekend getaway

Unique Quality: The service here is wonderful for a "large hotel". The last time I stayed at the Marquis I was able to stay on one of the upper floors in a suite overlooking Times Square. The room was wonderful and the views were great.
The only let down as with most NYC hotels is the high cost of drinks.

Directions: Middle of Times Square.

Nearby Marriott Marquis New York City

• Marriott Times Square
  • Marriott Marquis Times Square
  • Marriot Marquis
  • New York City Marriott

Address: 1535 Broadway, At 45th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

32 Photos of Marriott Marquis New York City

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Embassy Suites Hotel New York City
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews