Mayfair New York Hotel

242 West 49th Street, New York City, New York, 10019, United States

Mayfair Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• The Good: Location ,Bad&Ugly ...sigh ..

great location up from Times Square.The rooms are like tight boxes.The rates not bad considering what you get.The staff, maids and restaurant nice.. BUT THATS IT!The day time front desk staff except for the african lady are untrustworthy I checked "peaches" the manager out ..this is what I found googling beatricemacevedo.blogspot.com

More about Mayfair New York Hotel

great location

by TripAdvisor Member unique

recently got back from the Mayfair hotel. 8th Feb 2005...stayed for a week..tax free shopping!!...ne who straight to the point!

Room well kept and spacious
Room cleaned every day
Towels changed everyday
Hotel reception was nice
near all the great shopping places
The best thing about this hotel is the location, right on broadway, and right round the corner from times square and all those lights!!! just great..wat more could you ask for.
I would certainly go back there.

Good Choice

My boyfriend and I spent last Labor Day weekend in New York and we stayed at the Mayfair Hotel. It's right in the heart of Broadway, so it's close to everything, and the rates couldn't be more reasonable. The room is large enough, as long as all you'll be doing is sleeping there -- the bathroom was pretty spacious and a wall of mirrors made the room look a little larger. While we were there, they were doing some renovations on the back of the lobby. The place is decorated nicely with pictures of old Broadway stars around the entire hotel. The one thing we found to be unsatisfactory was the elevator. It was one of those tiny, old-fashioned wooden kinds, and my boyfriend and I aren't really big fans of elevators in general. There's nothing wrong with it, but people who don't like small spaces or elevators should probably reserve a room on one of the lower floors. We will most likely stay in the Mayfair the next time we are in New York, but we will definately not be on the 6th floor again!

OSHA would run away!

by TripAdvisor Member ScribelifeSFO

Hotwire has never let me down as bad as this! I took pictures to show family & friends what $200 per night got me in NYC at the Mayfair on W. 49th -- the missing fixtures, the twin size bed, the fire stairs landing outside my window where homeless seemed to gather to drink and 'rest' (bottles were left every morning), the leaning floor, the tiniest room I've ever rented including all of the stingiest of 1-2* Parisian rooms (except this was listed as a 3* -- that's a Crock!); literally one had to leap into the bed from the corridor then roll sideways on the bed to get feet headed toward the bathroom.

There were handles missing on the glass bath shower door to keep it closed and as it was accordion style, it was nothing short of madcap trying to keep from falling while holding onto that door, directing the shower head w/o falling down on the tile (no strips or shower mat).

Every piece of carpeting in the joint was so beyond threadbare that it appeared that anyone with a heel of any sort would likely catch on it and go pitching on the stairs.

The hotel's official site said it had been renovated but upon check-in they told me that they were in the middle of it. Which is it? Well, there's no cafe (place for one, but closed), no lobby for meeting guests, no daily paper, no coffee-maker (Anyplace on the property!), no ice machine -- get it? It's a tragedy that a property could be in such poor condition in such a great location; it's a giant rip-off. And the lack of professionalism and helpfulness by the front desk staff -- what a hoot! Forget that. They act like they're doing you a big favor by letting you stay there.

As a woman traveling alone, this was quite an ordeal; I travel alone extensively throughout the world, but this was a bitter pill to swallow. Yet there was no human way to squeeze another body into that room, anyway, for which I'm grateful I didn't have company in this case.

If you can, SAVE YOURSELF considerable grief and Avoid this hotel like the plague (although I did not see any rats, for which I was also grateful).

To summarize and balance the scales, the best I can say about the Mayfair Hotel is that it's location is central and convenient; I didn't see any rats, nor did I witness any murders in the hotel. That's gotta count for something!

Don't Expect Much

We paid $118 a night (including their mandatory $3/night “energy charge”) for three nights. Not bad, but not worth a penny more. The rooms, of course, are tiny, but the bedding was clean, firm and comfortable. In addition to the bed, there was a bistro table with two padded straight chairs, a good size closet, plenty of hangers, and several wall mirrors. The bathroom was fine, although a few floor tiles were missing behind the toilet. The double-size shower was wonderful, with excellent water pressure and sufficient hot water. There are only 70-some rooms in the hotel and it seemed maybe half full during our stay, which may account for all the hot water. Our room had a digital thermostat, and the air conditioning worked well. The view was into a dank alleyway, and the in-room safe did not work. There is only one elevator, in which my wife and I were stuck for a few minutes. Afterward, it was taken out of service and remained unusable for about 24-hours. Two of the desk clerks were thuggish, seeming to adhere to the school of thought that if they spoke to you you’d complain about something. Another one had only the most rudimentary command of English. A fourth one, a female, was the only pleasant or helpful one we encountered in 3 days. I’m not sure that the hotel isn’t on its last legs (the lounge is closed) and there were other signs that the owners aren’t pouring money into the property, but if you like to stay around Times Square and are seeking a place to just sleep, shower, and stow your gear – and if you can get it for less than $120 a night – then it really isn’t terrible.

Clean but small

by TripAdvisor Member Starflight

Mayfair is billed as a "European" style hotel. The hotels in Europe in which we have rested were not as small as the rooms in the Mayfair. Yet, this hotel COULD be a really good hotel if the owners would upgrade the bathrooms and rooms, decorate the lobby area and add a few interesting features. The location is right smack dab in the midst of TIMES SQUARE, next door to the Eugene O'Neil theater and across the street from an elegant (and expensive) Italian restaurant, Baldario's. We enjoyed being so close to theaters and good restaurants. But New York is proud of its Deli's $30 for two sandwiches is ridiculous. Dene and Deena's was good though...not as expensive.

terrible place

I booked this hotel through Hotwire so did not know what I was getting. Would never intentionally stay there. It was awful. We were there for 5 nights for 925.00 and the first night the room was so tiny that you could barely walk on either side of the bed. It faced a wall about 2 ft away, so had to go outdoors to find out what the weather was like. "Queen bed" was actually a double. Air cond very noisy and seemed to turn itself off at will, no matter what temp it was set at. Asked for upgrade and was told that it would be an addl. 60.00 per night. The second night when nothing much worked in the room, suddenly a little larger one became available. Still not good but better as we could see out window. However shades in both rooms were not working and no way to keep them up. Thermostat in second room was in no way even connected to the timer. Windowsills had cigarette buts and cigar buts and pigeon feathers on the inside. The night before we left the safe reprogrammed itself and nobody was willing to do anything about it so could not get things out. Was told that the manager was the only one who knew code and he was not answering his phone.
When finally the maid came in around 9 AM she was able to open it with a machine that only she had. It our flight had been earlier it would not have happened. Then I was told that this happens quite often with the safes. So why not mention this to guests?
Also walls are paper thin,and neighbor's tv on quietly can be heard through them.
They should be ashamed of the brochures in rooms and at desk. They advertise lobby bar and Garrick
Restaurant which have not existed for years.
Also the carpet is threadbear and filthy. I think that I am just as disgusted with Hotwire for even allowing this place to be used on their website.

disgusting !

by TripAdvisor Member dnamil

Our stay at the Mayfair is the worst hotel experience we have ever had. We were not allowed to check in until 3:30 pm despite the "guaranteed" check in time of 3:00 pm. The two cockroaches I killed in our room were about an inch and a half long. the rooms were unreasonbly small. the walls had gouged plaster. some of the gouges were partially repaired (filled but not painted). the rooms we had both needed painting badly. the linens were old & stained yellow. there was a grate (i think it was a vent or air return) that was kicked in. the carpeting in the rooms and common areas and hallways was old, tattered and ripped. the staff were sloppily dressed - not what i'm used to seeing of hospitality personnel. Our room rate was $270 a night - not the $250 advertised. Our overall rating of this is "horrible".

Great Midpriced Hotel

We stayed here for the holidays and had a delightful time. For New York, the price is very reasonable and the location is equidistant to all points in NYC. Our room was small but very tastefully decorated. We will difintiely stay here again.

Pretty but not worth it

Stayed at the Mayfair a couple years ago with my husband, for the price, it was a disappointment. Sure, the hotel looked very classy and elegant but it was by far the smallest NYC hotel room I've ever seen (seen about five NYC hotels). We had less than a foot of space on each side of the bed, there would have been a fair amount of space from the end of the bed to the wall but most of that was taken up by the TV armoire. A tiny alcove in front of the bathroom door had an itsy bitsy table and chair and the room's one narrow window looked out to a dark and dank airshaft.
Staff were snooty and really didn't want to be bothered by simple Midwestern folk. The continental breakfast was sparse, hardly any place to sit so you took your juice and roll back up to your room and ate sitting on the bed. No ice machines, had to call for ice and then feel obligated to tip the guy who brought you the ice or feel guilty and cheap for not tipping. Don't bother staying at the Mayfair, there are much better deals out there.

staying in New York

by seksun

Hi

Looking at a 2/3 stay over in NYC end of May/early June

Can anyone recommend a good,reasonanly priced hotel nr the sites to avoid unecessarliy travel ? (budget US$150/night or so )

I assume the weather that time of here is Spring like ?

Any good websites to show me things to do in NYC to assist with my trip ?

Thanks

RE: staying in New York

by zuriga

All you have to do is go to Google and type in NYC. You'll have more websites than you know what to do with. That time of year is usually perfect for visiting - should be warm with clear skies. Take a look at www.quikbook.com for some hotel ideas. They often have some very good deals for NY hotels. Manhattan is small - easy to navigate by bus or subway so it doesn't always require being right in the center of town. On the Avenue is a nice hotel on the Upper West Side but there are many others.

RE: RE: staying in New York

by seksun

thanks for the advice

RE: RE: RE: staying in New York

by devil66

try the Hotel Grand Union ( http://www.hotelgrandunion.com ) - vey centrally located and you should be able to get it for less than $150.

RE: RE: staying in New York

by devil66

oh, and try: www.citysearch.com then going to New York for your online guide

RE: staying in New York

by elizabethsloane

If you want to stay in mid-town, one hotel that will fit your budget is the Mayfair New York Hotel. I've stayed there many times and it is very pleasant. There is no restaurant but you don't need one! You're right in the heart of Times Square. May is one of the most beautiful months to visit New York. Have fun in the city!!

Comments