Milburn Hotel

242 West 76th Street, New York City, New York, 10023, United States

The Milburn Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Neglected

Of all the hotels I have stayed at in my travels, this was the worst. Old is one thing, neglected is another. The lobby furniure was soiled and thread-bear. I have seen flood-damaged basement carpeting left for refuse pick up that was in better condition than the elevator carpeting. The room, actually, smelled - with foul odors coming from the bathroom plumbing. The one star awarded is a result of the good location, and the friendliness of the staff. Ownership would be better served in raising the rates $50. a night, and investing it in the maintenance and upkeep of the hotel.

Unique Quality: Location

Directions: Upper Westside

• A Miserable Experience

Avoid the Milburn Hotel on New York's upper west side at all costs. It could end up costing you plenty.

My reservation at the Milburn was for Friday, Sept. 18. On Monday, the 14th, I phoned the hotel to inquire about the cancellation policy, which would have been unnecessary had I received a copy of the policy by e-mail or snail-mail. The person I spoke with told me it was three days in advance of the reservation. She also used the phrase "72 hours," which, from my travel experiences, is a synonym for three days. So, because my plans were uncertain at the time, I chose to wait one day based on the conversation, especially since the confused clerk did not tell me that the deadline for canceling was Monday.

When I called Tuesday -- three days before I was scheduled to check in -- to cancel because of a family matter, I was informed it was too late. The front-desk clerk I spoke with said to contact the general manager on Wednesday to discuss the situation.

I left repeated polite messages with the general manager on Wednesday and Thursday. He refused to return my calls. So I stopped by the hotel Friday morning before leaving town, and the general manager told me the matter had been turned over to accounting and to contact them.

For the next eight workdays, I phoned the hotel and asked to be switched to accounting. Each time, I received a recorded voice and was asked to leave a message. Each time, I left a polite recording -- eight of them -- yet never received one return call. It was obvious that the continuous lack of returned calls from the general manager and accounting was an effort by the hotel to ignore me, hoping that I would go away.

Finally, I phoned the hotel and requested to be switched to anyone in accounting. I got a live voice who told me a refund or full credit would be considered.

My occasional pestering finally got a response after a few weeks. I was informed that no refund or credit would be granted, only that an unspecified "rate" might be considered on my next reservation with the hotel. Are you kidding me?

So I'm out $339.13, plus hours of my time dealing with the most customer-unfriendly hotel general manager in a lifetime of travel.

There are plenty of good hotels in New York. Most have a one-day cancellation policy. They send you their policy upon making the reservation. Their reservations clerks explain the policy properly. And, if a problem arises, they are courteous and reasonable.

The Milburn is none of those. Stay away.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

A great room at a reasonable NYC price

This is considered a bargain hotel, and while not cheap by other cities' standards, it's a deal in NYC. The rooms are amazingly spacious! (Ask for a corner room--we had one, and it was completely quiet every night.)

This is the living area of our suite. The couch folds out into a double bed, which allows the room sleep four easily.

The ornate old-fashioned lobby

This must have been a very elegant apartment building at one time, and the hotel has preserved the 1930's-style atmosphere in the lovely small lobby.

The one small drawback I'll mention about this hotel is the slow elevators (we were on the 7th floor). However, given the age of the hotel, this is to be expected and a small sacrifice to make for such a reasonably-priced hotel!

An Ideal Upper West Side small hotel

After researching several places to stay in NYC, this was my choice, and I was not disappointed. Located less than a block off Upper Broadway, this is a peaceful and extremely convenient base for exploring all of Manhattan.

Unique Quality: The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The room (a suite for four, in our case) was impeccably clean, and the one maintenance issue we had (a locked closet doorknob) was addressed immediately. We had great housekeeping, luxury soaps, a small kitchenette, table and chairs, and a huge stereo CD player, besides two TV's, a VCR and DVD player. Free internet access is available in the lobby.

Directions: On the west side of Broadway (only a few doors down from the corner of Broadway and West 76th. Three blocks from the 79th Street subway station on the 1,9 lines.

• martinprange's Profile Photo

Good location for 10 days Manhattan

This hotel is nice, clean and worth the bucks.
    The apparement I had was a bit dark but OK since I did want to stroll around in Manhattan 1999 all afternoons and nights... :-)
    The people ath the reception were very helpful regarding changing flight tickets and so on.

Unique Quality: Haven't had an eye for facilities, can't talk about that.

More about Milburn Hotel

Credit card theft

I have stayed at the Milburn several times through the years, and recently twice in the course of a month. You get a lot for the money and the location is great, but a warning: Last time I stayed there, I was quoted one rate $149, I think it was, and told, when I arrived it would be $30 higher. I told them I had been quoted the lower rate and paid it a week before. They assured me it would be corrected on my Mastercard. When my charge card bill came, and it was not corrected, I repeatedly called the manager and e-mialed him. He never responded. In my book this is theft, maybe petty theft .... but you wonder if they would steal from your room at well

Comfortable hotel in a good location

by TripAdvisor Member dutchcatlover

My husband and I stayed at the Milburn from December 5 until December 12, 2004. While making the reservation I requested a quiet room due to jetlag. However, when arriving we got a room exactly opposite the elevator. But, due to my amazement, we did not hear anything outside our room during our entire stay.
As mentioned before the bathroom was tiny. However, it was not that terrible brown colour like on their website but it was cream and white. Hot water was plenty. Cleaning was also good. 80 channels on the tv. Very good (yes, we had to rest our poor feet at night).
Good size fridge and microwave. Utensils, everything was there. Even paper towels and extra sink in the kitchenette.
The only thing that was not good was the airco. Yes, it was december, but we still needed it. It was warm in the room. The airco made lots (and I do mean LOTS) of noise but did not cool one bit. We were located on the inner side of the hotel so opened the window, no problem.
The neighbourhood is nice and safe with lots of great shops and eateries. And not to far from the subway.
All in all, we would definitely stay at the Milburn again.

Brill

by TripAdvisor Member mandymac

If you want a child friendly hotel, on the Upper West Side, that has huge rooms look no further. We took a 12 month old baby and we loved staying here. The staff provided a cot/crib and a portable 2-ring hob for us to heat boiling water on.

The location is fabulous if you want to be on the edge of town, very safe and interesting, residential with smaller branches of most all the big brand shops ie gap, baby gap, sephora, anne taylor, victoria's secret etc.

We would definately stay here again.

Friendly staff...great room...shhh!

by TripAdvisor Member Travlin'Prankster

We arrived before check-in time and the room wasn't ready, so we did the paper work, stored our bags and joked about a getting high corner room...We were there for Christo's "The Gates" so we headed straight for the Central Park. After 4 hours we made it back to the hotel and got our key...Room 1500..Top floor (sort of) corner..with a small river view to the north..AND a small city view to the south! Two windows! And not ONE neighbor. Awesome!!! Plus. there was space around the King bed...and a good sized table...and great water pressure in the shower.

This place has some very special rooms...I believe 1300 and 1301 have terraces...and there is a secret penthouse you have to ask about. The kitchenettes are really small, but functional. Yes, it is a little worn around the edges, with strange carpet and cracked tiles etc in the bathrooms, a banged up window air conditioner...and an elevator that takes its good old time. If that stuff is OK to you, then this place is totally cool...if it's not OK, then you won't like it here. But the bed was comfy, the room spacious, (although the bathroom and kitchette are tiny) pleasantly decorated with posters from the MET, and the staff entirely delightful. The hotel offers 24 hour room service from the nearby Manhattan Diner (no major mark-up!!!) and discounts at about a dozen neighborhood restaurants as well as free access to a neighborhood swimming pool.

All in all a great experience...

Thoroughly recommended

Great location, large and comfortable 1-bdrm suite (slightly tired decor), enough of a kitchenette to do basic food for family, reasonable price, friendly staff - all in all, thoroughly recommended. The added bonus is the amazing Fairway supermarket 1 block down Broadway - the best collection of food you will see for some time.

Comments