Milburn Hotel

Tags

Theater Travel Museum Visits Family Travel
See Amenities

Neglected

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 30, 2011

Of all the hotels I have stayed at in my travels, this was the worst. Old is one thing, neglected is another. The lobby furniure was soiled and thread-bear. I have seen flood-damaged basement carpeting left for refuse pick up that was in better condition than the elevator carpeting. The room, actually, smelled - with foul odors coming from the bathroom plumbing. The one star awarded is a result of the good location, and the friendliness of the staff. Ownership would be better served in raising the rates $50. a night, and investing it in the maintenance and upkeep of the hotel.

Unique Quality: Location

Directions: Upper Westside

A Miserable Experience

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 22, 2009

Avoid the Milburn Hotel on New York's upper west side at all costs. It could end up costing you plenty.

My reservation at the Milburn was for Friday, Sept. 18. On Monday, the 14th, I phoned the hotel to inquire about the cancellation policy, which would have been unnecessary had I received a copy of the policy by e-mail or snail-mail. The person I spoke with told me it was three days in advance of the reservation. She also used the phrase "72 hours," which, from my travel experiences, is a synonym for three days. So, because my plans were uncertain at the time, I chose to wait one day based on the conversation, especially since the confused clerk did not tell me that the deadline for canceling was Monday.

When I called Tuesday -- three days before I was scheduled to check in -- to cancel because of a family matter, I was informed it was too late. The front-desk clerk I spoke with said to contact the general manager on Wednesday to discuss the situation.

I left repeated polite messages with the general manager on Wednesday and Thursday. He refused to return my calls. So I stopped by the hotel Friday morning before leaving town, and the general manager told me the matter had been turned over to accounting and to contact them.

For the next eight workdays, I phoned the hotel and asked to be switched to accounting. Each time, I received a recorded voice and was asked to leave a message. Each time, I left a polite recording -- eight of them -- yet never received one return call. It was obvious that the continuous lack of returned calls from the general manager and accounting was an effort by the hotel to ignore me, hoping that I would go away.

Finally, I phoned the hotel and requested to be switched to anyone in accounting. I got a live voice who told me a refund or full credit would be considered.

My occasional pestering finally got a response after a few weeks. I was informed that no refund or credit would be granted, only that an unspecified "rate" might be considered on my next reservation with the hotel. Are you kidding me?

So I'm out $339.13, plus hours of my time dealing with the most customer-unfriendly hotel general manager in a lifetime of travel.

There are plenty of good hotels in New York. Most have a one-day cancellation policy. They send you their policy upon making the reservation. Their reservations clerks explain the policy properly. And, if a problem arises, they are courteous and reasonable.

The Milburn is none of those. Stay away.

londonlover's Profile Photo

A great room at a reasonable NYC price

by written on June 4, 2005

This is considered a bargain hotel, and while not cheap by other cities' standards, it's a deal in NYC. The rooms are amazingly spacious! (Ask for a corner room--we had one, and it was completely quiet every night.)

This is the living area of our suite. The couch folds out into a double bed, which allows the room sleep four easily.

The ornate old-fashioned lobby

by written on June 4, 2005

This must have been a very elegant apartment building at one time, and the hotel has preserved the 1930's-style atmosphere in the lovely small lobby.

The one small drawback I'll mention about this hotel is the slow elevators (we were on the 7th floor). However, given the age of the hotel, this is to be expected and a small sacrifice to make for such a reasonably-priced hotel!

An Ideal Upper West Side small hotel

by written on June 4, 2005

After researching several places to stay in NYC, this was my choice, and I was not disappointed. Located less than a block off Upper Broadway, this is a peaceful and extremely convenient base for exploring all of Manhattan.

Unique Quality: The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The room (a suite for four, in our case) was impeccably clean, and the one maintenance issue we had (a locked closet doorknob) was addressed immediately. We had great housekeeping, luxury soaps, a small kitchenette, table and chairs, and a huge stereo CD player, besides two TV's, a VCR and DVD player. Free internet access is available in the lobby.

Directions: On the west side of Broadway (only a few doors down from the corner of Broadway and West 76th. Three blocks from the 79th Street subway station on the 1,9 lines.

martinprange's Profile Photo

Good location for 10 days Manhattan

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 5, 2005

This hotel is nice, clean and worth the bucks.
The apparement I had was a bit dark but OK since I did want to stroll around in Manhattan 1999 all afternoons and nights... :-)
The people ath the reception were very helpful regarding changing flight tickets and so on.

Unique Quality: Haven't had an eye for facilities, can't talk about that.

Nearby Milburn Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

New York City Travel Forum

Need advice about New York City, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for New York City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest New York City hotel reviews

Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews