Morgans - Morgans Hotel Group

Expedia.com Booking.com Splendia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

A fashion hotel in NY

Morgans is a wonderful 4 stars hotel located on Madison Avenue, close to the Empire State Building, Time Square and Central Park. Morgan was the first "boutique hotel" of the word. There you can find style and design made by the designer Andrée Putman.
    All the fornitures in the rooms are very elegant and comfortable, among which there is a hand-stitched, wool-upholstered chair, a metal-inlaid Corian table and La Notte bedside lamps. The striking black-and-white tiled bathroom retains its strong and refreshing visual identity.
    The continental breakfast is included in the price of the room and it is served in the restaurant Asia De Cuba on the ground floor. All the guest have a free access to the living room where there a business center, WIFI connection, a library and coffee amenities.

Unique Quality: My experience at Morgans was fantastic. A place full of charme, with very big rooms. All the detalis are very well kept and refined. The black and white tiles in the bathroom give a touch of class environment. Excellent staff and great location.

More about Morgans - Morgans Hotel Group

When Size Matters....

by cjg1 about Asia de Cuba

This restaurant is located on Madison right next to the Morgans hotel. I once read this place is packed with those on the A list, the it list, and those wanting to be on a list. And let me tell you. That remark is dead on. Except when we VTers are around.
It is a family style setting in that the portions are huge and meant to be shared. I was very impressed with the food. I know I need to stop saying that about the food when I go to VT meetings but it really is true. Whenever we have a VT dinner we find the best places to eat.
That said my favorite part of the meal was the Calamari Salad. I have never liked calamari before but this salad just said it all to me. I have since searched it out elsewhere but this is where it all started for me. Also the chicken dish on the entree menu was very good.
Also be sure to check out the desserts here. See Geisha_Girl's page for a pic of the cake we had.

Wonderful hotel in NY - I highly recommend

by TripAdvisor Member zzzzzzz8080

Morgans Hotel was one of the original boutique hotels and it personifies it for what they set out to be - quiet, hip without trying, sophisticated and guest-oriented. There is a small nice lobby and a 4th floor sitting area with coffee and tea all day long. I was upgraded to a suite, which was absolutely beautiful - big - comfortable - and made me want to stay in and watch the flat screen tv all day!

The room was quiet, had a nice iPod deck with remote control, classy amenities in the bathroom, and dark shades to pull down to hide the light when you want to sleep in.

The 4th floor sitting area had two large Mac computers available to print out your boarding pass (no charge), which was very helpful.

The staff was very friendly and energetic. The complimentary breakfast at chic Asia de Cuba was one of the highlights - warm staff, large tables to spread out with the NY Times - delicious bagels, fruit, yogurt, coffee, etc.

Check out time is 12:00, opposed to other hotels that are 11:00.

The newer hip boutique hotels seem to try to hard and the older Manhattan hotels are too stuffy. This hotel was perfect for my stay - I was there 4 nights. I would highly recommend staying here.

Nice but Only if @ a Promo Rate

by TripAdvisor Member fabulousnow

We stayed in mid September after the re-opening. I was a little nervous because I had read some reviews prior to the face-lift. There was indeed some construction going on out front, which made the entrance somewhat hidden, but the bellmen were there ready for us. I didn't even know they had already taken our bags out of the cab!

The hotel lobby was much smaller than I imagined. The rooms, however, were very nice and a decent size along with a very modern decor. My only complaint about the room was the bathroom - it was so small, I could barely get in an out if my husband was in there! There was also complimentary breakfast at the restaurant that is connected with bountiful goodies!

For the most part we enjoyed our stay. I would stay there again if we can get the same promo rate as we did.

Comme ci, comme ça but worth to be had on special

by TripAdvisor Member tushkan

We stayed in this property for 4 nights in October 2008 and if not for the Travelzoo special which was not spectacular either $280 + tax (~$40), we would have not booked this property since we did not feel it was standing out of the crowd.
With occupancy rates at 99%, it's typical for Manhattan's hospitality industry not to invest into sprucing up hotel properties and this one was no exception.
Having said that, i still feel the property was ok for the money considering the NYC hotel market.

The property:
We got a a complimentary upgrade to a superior room since they were availlable on our arrival day, so i am not aware how they compare with standard rooms. The room was ok, basic necessities and even a bit of style on the cheap thrown in (the result of the recent renovations). I don't know NYC hotel scene that well, but feel that the hotel is worth around $200-250 tops for the days when there are no major conventions or other events, which raises prices steeply as far as i know.
Overall, we thought the hotel was just 'ok', no roaches, but nothing positive either. The decor is attempting to achieve the look of a posh boutique hotel which i appriciate, but since the building is fairly old and rundown, i don't see how it was planned to be done without major revamping of the property: there is still mold in the bathrooms, grout falling out of the shower tiles and cement floors in the baths.

Add-ins:
Complimentary buffet breakfast: very helpful add-in, saves time and money and gives you a good headstart for the day. I'll talk about customer service in a different paragraph, but here's one example of it: we arrived 10am and the reception people were nice enough to tell us to go have the breakfast (although they did not have to - we did not pay for that night).
Living Room on the 4th floor - tea, coffee, shower, washroom, comfy couches, internet, printer - very helpful. Tip: when the internet connection was down, we went to the reception and asked to use their computer and printer to print our theater tickets, which was fine with them.

Service:
We were pretty happy with the service. Whether the door men, or the concerge or the air conditioner repairman, we found the service helpful and efficient.

Location: Madison Ave, midtown, i would prefer something closer to either subway line, but hey it's Manhattan, so no complaints. We are pretty fit and were able to walk to the Times Square and Moma (30min) to save the subway hastle.

Nice and Funky; Uber Friendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member Julia1020

Really loved this hotel. Went for one night in October 2008 and was delighted by the room and friendly/helpful service. Loved the black and white decor of the room and orchid in the bathroom. Reception and valet were very helpful and added a very personal touch that felt more like small town service then urban indifference.

AMAZING HOTEL AND SERVICE :D

by TripAdvisor Member LawrenceToronto

We stayed at Morgans for 4 WONDERFUL nights in October. from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out the experience was top notch. The staff ( especially the cute doormen ;) ) were excellent and very very friendly. the rooms are minimalistic in design with some of the most comfiest beds i have EVER slept in from the high thread count sheets to the AMAZING pillows :D The continental Breakfast in Asia de Cuba was Above average with fresh fresh pastries bagels fruits cereals coffee juice yadda yadda VERY good!!!! the location is bar none it is a 4 minute walk to the empire state building and about a 10 minute walk to times square and is in between two major subway lines I would and WILL stay at morgans again. The price is a little on the high side if you dont get a deal BUT thats NY the most exspensive city to stay in North America I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to all First timers to NYC

Great Hotel But Has Small Issues

by TripAdvisor Member tripseeker777

The hotel was just recently renovated in August, although I have never seen it before then we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. No signs or anything outside, but once you step inside they have a very cool, small, lobby. We were upgraded to a one bed room suite on the 8th floor which was a very nice touch. When we stepped inside our room, we thought it was HUGE. We always stay at boutique hotels whenever in NYC and this was the largest one bedroom suite we have ever got. The beds are comfortable except the sheets weren't, low thread count, maybe we're just too use to the good stuff. There are two LCD screen, (bedroom and living room) and a very cool retro looking bathroom, although small and the sink was a bit of a pain, too high so water was splashing all over the place. In terms of views, there was none in our room.

The greatest plus for this hotel is their complimentary breakfast (coffee, tea, juices, cereal, pastries, yogurt, bananas, etc) it was a very nice spread. Helps save a bit of $$ while in a very expensive city. The staff was extremely courteous, always willing to go above and beyond. Like I said overall the hotel was great, some small issues but overall if you can get a deal it's worth it and you won't be disappointed.

Breakfast and Umbrellas

by TripAdvisor Member ta101

My stay at Morgans was an overall pleasant experience. The location was good, particularly given our night out in Ktown and the free breakfast was a nice plus!

The rooms were not huge but not a complete shoebox. The combo mirror/armoire piece was a nice built-in addition. Very useful when your partner is hogging the bathroom and you need to use a lighted mirror. Bathroom was ok - quite tiny but functional and clean. Shower pressure was decent.

Oh the free (to use not take home) umbrellas came in very handy as it was the weekend of exceptional rain.

Very nice, but not worth rack rate

by TripAdvisor Member leafpeeper98

We got our deal for $170 via TravelZoo. Morgan's is nice enough but dissappointing upon arrival. Curiously there is no signage anywhere to indicate that this place is a hotel. The lobby is very small with just one person behind a very small kiosk. The bellman was busy when we arrived, so we nearly missed the place. But once we got our bearings the bell staff and the front desk people are exceptionally nice. The front desk staff also serves as the concierge so you really can have a long wait as various guests are sorted out in various languages with seemingly complex negotiations. There is no furniture in the lobby, but if you want to hang out there is a living room on the fourth floor with a TV and coffee and tea fixings. The room is small and minimistic. Very comfy beds. Quiet. Nice black out curtains and sheers for filtered sunlight. Our room on the 16th floor was quite pleasant and sunny - it was small but we were told it was a free upgrade. Upscale bath appointments. Ask the bellman how to turn on the various lights as they are quite hidden. Our bedroom clock was off by an hour, thank goodness we did not rely on it. Very upscale mini-bar. Beware the midnight munchies, it will really hurt your wallet!!I know this from dire experience. There is no price list or indication that the mini=bar food/drinks are not complimentary, so make sure that all guests understand not to have their way with the contents.

Accommodation

by Alderwillis

We are visiting New York in 22 June staying for 4 nights. Can anyone recommend a central cheap hotel with private bathroom

by TexasDave

Have you read previous answers to similar questions in the New York City Forum area?

by Alderwillis

I have read some of them but didn't find anything to suit. Thanks

by jessnjoe

We travel to NYC once a year to visit family and have had very good luck with priceline. I am usually able to pay about than 110/night with taxes included. Some of the hotels I have stayed at are the Chambers, the Belvedere and most recently the Morgans hotel. I am sure if you lower your star level you can accommodate you budget and requirements. Good Luck
Jess

Dear Jess

Many thanks.....

Regards

by bedoucha

Hello,

I just came across this site and found it very interesting.

Regards,