235 West 107th Street, New York City, New York, 10025, United States

HostelBookers.com Orbitz.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Poor

• STAY THE HELL AWAY

Well where do I start? How about with the fact that a week before I was due to stay there, a room became available at my sister's place so I cancelled my booking by emailing the info email address (the cancellation function on the website didn't work), I never received a reply and I assumed they were just cranky they had lost a booking, I expected to lose my $20 deposit.

What I did not expect was to have $214 charged to my credit card by the place. When I rang (luckily I was still in town and hadn't returned to Australia yet), I was told only a Mr Patrick could help and that he would be in the next day after 4pm. So I called back then, he wasn't it but he was expected in the next day after 4pm, as soon as I got off the phone I emailed him. The same thing happened about 3 days in a row (with calls and emails) and when I finally got into contact with him he said the charged was for my stay. Obviously I hadn't stayed there, I hadn't been anywhere near the place, I had never even been to that area of New York. I told him this and he said he would have to check with the staff (even though he's the manager?) and (as it was Christmas time), I couldn't call him again until the 28th of December (which wasn't terribly convenient as I was leaving on the 2nd of January).
    I called on the 28th to find, surprise, surprise, he wasn't there.
    At this stage I was fairly furious so I contacted the Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan New York and wrote an honest complaint to them. Shortly after, I finally got an email from Mr Patrick which was barely coherent and accused me of being impatient. (How dare I be impatient when I had $200 stolen off me?) He even said (direct quote) "Your email goes in my SPAM folder so please check your settings."

The Better Business Bureau are still trying to get my money back, STAY AWAY FROM THE MORNINGSIDE INN!

Unique Quality: Mr Patrick is a moronic thief. Do not stay here.

• Morningside Inn NYC - very disappointing

When I checked-in the hotel wanted to charge a higher amount than the one agreed with booking.com. Afterwards I realized that one of the rooms even downgraded. Despite the fact I mentioned twice this situation to the hotel, no answer was provided, and nothing was done to improve the situation. When I finally asked a reduction in order to compensate for the room downgrading, the manager not only refused, but also did not behave and was extremely unpolite. Therefore I definitely do not recommend this hotel

Al momento del check-in volevano farmi pagare una cifra superiore a quella indicata sulla mia prenotazione. Successivamente mi sono reso conto che addirittura la categoria di una delle due stanze era inferiore a quella prenotata su booking.com. Nonostante abbia fatto presente per due volte la situazione all'hotel, non ho ricevuto alcuna risposta soddisfacente, né è stato fatto nulla per venirmi incontro. Infine quando ho chiesto una riduzione per compensare il disagio da me subito, il gerente non solo non ha voluto sentir ragioni, ma si è comportato in maniera estremamente scortese. Ecco perché sconsiglio decisamente questo hotel

Au moment du check-in, ils voulaient me faire payer un prix superiéur à celui indiqué sur ma réservation. J'ei ensuite réalisé que la catégorie de l'une des deux chambres était inférieure à celle que j'avais reservée sur booking.com. Malgré je l'avais signalé deux fois à l'hotel, je n'ai réçu aucune explication, et ils n'ont rien fait pour essayer d'améliorer la situation. Finalement lorsque j'ai demandé une reduction du prix de façon à compenser pour le désagrement, le manager n'en a meme pas voulu discuter, et il s'est comporté de façon extremememnt unpolie. Voilà pourquoi je déconseille vivement cet hotel.

• Do Not Stay Here...

We stayed here for a week in early October 2009 and they have a serious bed bug problem. Numerous people were complaining about it so we have reason to believe it is in a number of rooms. Having arrived back home yesterday I have a huge number of really serious bites on me and the fun of now worrying that we have brought them back home in our luggage. Seriously, DO NOT stay here.

• The worst ever

Please do not stay at this hotel. I was verbally abused by the manager, Patrick, who is a bully and a terrible hotel manager. When I spoke to him he became angry very quickly and at one stage he rose to his feet and threatened me. I suspect that he either has mental problems or is just very screwed up. Nobody has ever spoken to me that, never mind a hotel manager who is supposed to be serving you.

This all happened on Christmas morning which almost ruined my Christmas day and my experience of New York. At the time I wondered whether I had made some cultural faux pas, but after reading other reviews I realise now that he was looking for an excuse to get into a fight and abuse somebody so that he could feel superior. I am actually quite concerned for anybody who stays here that they may be physically attacked if they say the wrong thing.

The hotel itself was nothing special and not worth the extra money we paid. Our first room had wet carpet, smelt bad, and the heater hissed so loud we couldn't hear the television. Furthermore, we had paid extra for the 'superior' room (our Christmas treat) but this was clearly not the best room in the house as we soon discovered.

The manager agreed to give us another room the next night, but made us feel like he was doing us a favour every time we spoke to him. We also had problems with the internet, however when I tried to speak to the manager he became extremely angry and insolent.

I would highly recommend you steer clear of this hotel and I am surprised that this manager is still working here after my own experience and reading all these reports of people being abused. After the incident I felt extremely upset and also powerless since there is nobody to complain to.

Unique Quality: awful service

• The worst hotel ever seen

The worst hotel I've ever seen:
    shabby, the staff is totally unreliable and incompetent !!!
    Even though our room (with private bath) was confirmed by the owner himself, we were given another room (with shared bath) for the night. The next day we were supposed to move to our booked room and stored our luggage in the storage room. When we returned the same evening, they just stared at us and said: "We didn't think you'd come back so we gave your room to somebody else". And all this time our bags were in the storage room and they knew it !!!
    That's no way to treat anybody, especially not with a small child !

Directions: Located in South Harlem on the Upper West Side, close to subway

• Depressing; One Lost Suitcase Never Reimbursed

Had our first shock as we checked in. We were asked to pay; we told receptionists we had already paid 10 nights. Not on computer. They were continually on phone with the manager. We gave receipt - record "hidden", word used by one of them.
    Very small reception: no chairs in the corridor.
    Booked De Luxe room. Had small room; very worn-out spotted carpet, dresser, sidebed drawer for lamp; very small chair; aircondition and ceiling fan; small fridge and TV. Room I've seen with double bed was very small - a suitcase can't be opened wide on either side of bed. No view on the back and on the sides of building but ugly walls. Stairs in very poor state.

Had sleepless nights in 2-3-5 nights stay. Lodgers talked until past midnight in front of the Inn, with Patrick when he was on night duty until midnight. Had to buy earplugs.
    Last week: towels not changed and bin not emptied after 3 nights; sheets never changed throughout 5 nights.
    Out of NY before our last week. We asked P.Arroyo twice if we could leave one suitcase. He said Yes. The evening before we left for 5-6 days, asked again. He agreed. The day we left: presented suitcase to receptionist Nakita; told us to take it to the luggage room. We came back, suitcase had Disappeared. ( "Morningside Inn: You have Be Careful" TripAdvisor, Aug. 14 review). Tuesday- Friday, manager told us different things re suitcase until after 5PM when he said we didn't leave any suitcase. Didn't see him anymore. Left Sunday: Nakita was asking a man to pay 3 days for the extra days he stayed in the Inn in Feb. The man refused to pay; he didn't know why. Paid telephone bills; she didn't have any change.
    Read on Oct. 19 Arroyo's response to my review wherein he continues his lies. He claims he paid $300 for lost suitcase. Until now we HAVE NOT RECEIVED anything for lost suitcase.
    Management pattern is questionable, besides drabness of Inn.

Unique Quality: Good location: close to subway, to restaurants, bakeries and grocers

Priscilla and Jullie at reception are rather friendly including the two other women helpers.

Directions: Corner of Broadway and 107 St. about 5 blocks from Columbia University

• Spend a bit more and go elsewhere!

Should you be contemplating a choice between the Morningside Inn or a neaby park bench, go for the latter. The place really is that bad. The service is ill-mannered and surly; the rooms very spartan, although clean. I stayed for five nights a while ago and - despite my printed accomodation voucher which I'd presented upon check-in stating six nights - returned on the fourth day of my stay to find the majority of my stuff in a box behind the front desk. The receptionist curtly explained that I should have checked out that day. Upon his examination of the voucher, and realising his mistake, he apologised and left me to return my stuff to the room.

The hotel isn't really in the best area public-transport wise, but could be worse - two different subway lines are within ten minutes' walk. The room, whilst clean, had a studenty kind of feel (complete with desk, bed and not much else) and the shared bathroom was clean. Unfortunately, the hotel gave me the impression that - instead of being a paying guest - I was instead an inconvenience.

Directions: Upper West Side

• Morningside Inn - Not recommended

Service was O.K. The rooms were minimally acceptable. No plug for the bathtub and the plug in the sink wouldn't open, but I didn't pay top dollar, either. The location is a little out of the way. It's 3 1/2 blocks from the nearest subway, way up on the Upper West Side. But the neighborhood was quiet and I kind of liked it.

My main problem is that they quoted me one price including tax for 4 nights and charged me another. I got a confirmation number. When I checked out, the girl at the front desk said they don't give receipts and she didn't know exactly how much my bill was. That's a bad sign right away, and sure enough, when I got home and checked my credit card on the internet, I found that they had overcharged me 49.20. No explanation of what the 49.20 was for. I e-mailed them asking them to make a correction and they e-mailed back that they would "take care of it", but they didn't. My credit card company won't let me contest the charge because I don't have a receipt. And saying that they will "take care of it" is not considered an admission that they overcharged me. I e-mailed the Morningside again asking WHEN they would take care of it, but they didn't respond.

Unique Quality: The price. Everything else about the place is forgettable.

Directions: 1/2 block east of Broadway on W. 107th St.

More about Morningside Inn

Morningside Inn: You have Be careful!

by TripAdvisor Member Evangelista

Checking in: Record of our payment took some time to find on computer. After calling Patrick the manager and after we produced our receipt - receptionists said, "It's Hidden!'"

Suitcase worth $820 left in luggage room disappeared and was never found!!!

Nakita or Narika (same person) at reception: The lost suitcase was left with her. She said we didn't tell her we were "leaving the suitcase for a couple of days". What we told her was " we are leaving the suitcase... and we are coming back the following Tuesday." We asked her whether it was safe – she said YES.

Patrick, the manager: young lodgers say he's "great or friendly". We thought he was nice, too! We trusted him and we LOST our SUITCASE. We asked him twice if we could leave our suitcase while we were visiting friends. He agreed. The evening before we left we asked him again. He agreed! (Please read on...)
Tuesday: We came back. - No suitcase! Priscilla at reception checked with him by phone; he told her nobody told him about it. He told he could help us with some amount. / Wednesday: he'd look at video; we should give him 24 hrs. He told the suitcase was taken by mistake; we told him we'll report it to the police; he refused saying we must wait till Friday. / Thursday: he told us he called Narika in Maryland, that the suitcase is in locker; that she had key; she'll be in at 2PM Friday/ Friday: we checked at 4:45 - no Narika; he said she’d be there at 5PM. We checked again after 5PM - No Narika; he said we had until midnight. He said he could help with $200-$300 but…; he then claimed noboody saw the suitcase (Lucia the helper saw it!); he suggested we didn't check it in at all. We never saw him again! We wrote a letter of complaint - he replied: "further correspondence will be forwarded to attorney."
Who stole the suitcase???
PS: If you have to be there, learn their names and details of faces. If in trouble at the Inn, Patrick will use this against you if you have some uncertainties! Keep receipts; verify signatures to be sure!!!

Every hotel should be like this one

by TripAdvisor Member nanas911

I stayed at the morningside Inn for 3 nights with my husband and son. We had such a good time. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by patrick (the manager)and the two hispanic ladies that work there. They were so friendly and hospitable. My son took such a liking to patrick . he made us feel like we 've known each other for years, and the 2 young ladies that were there were so polite and friendly. they helped us find our way around the city, and even went as far as watching my son for me while i ran out to the store. The atmosphere at morningside inn was great . I recommened this hotel to everyone that is traveling alone or with children. It's like home away from home.

Fiasco

The Morningside Inn cancelled my reservations 6 days before my arrival due to a fire. The cancellation came via email, not even a courtesy phone call!! The reservation manager did not even set up alternate accommodations for my party of 6. We had to cancel our whole trip due to their poor hotel skills.

budget accommodation in NY

by who_me

hi i was searching for budget accommodation in new york and came across 3 options i think will be suitable for me. They are the wanderer's inn, morningside inn or riverside inn. I chose these because they offered a private room at a reasonable price. Has anyone ever stayed at any of these before or can you recommend any other places?

Re: budget accommodation in NY

by jenran1

Hi! I live in New York so I actually haven't stayed at these places. But I can tell you that, for convenience sake, the Riverside Inn and Morningside Inn are good locations. They are very near subway stops that will easily connect you with other subways. They are also pretty safe neighborhoods. However, the neighborhoods themselves are fairly family oriented so you won't be in the middle of a booming nightlife. But for sleeping purposes, that may be preferable. And getting anywhere in NY is fairly easy so you can always get yourself to nightlife.

You might also check out the Habitat Hotel. I have never stayed there either but it is a fairly new budget hotel and there are actual pictures of the rooms on the website so you know a little better what you are getting yourself into. http://www.habitatny.com/

It is located in midtown Manhattan on the east side-- also not big on nightlife but like I said, you can always get to where you need to go fairly easily. It is close to Bloomingdale's department store. In general, the area consists of more buisness and highrise buildings than the other hotels you found.

Have a nice time! A great food guide to pick up is the Zagat guide (at any book store). Make sure you pick up a subway map (free at any subway station). For general things going on in the city, pick up the latest Time Out NY magazine at any newstand or bookstore. The Village Voice is another good resource and it is free!

Re: budget accommodation in NY

by delcity

this question is ask every week. do a FORUM search and you will find many replies to this question.

Comments