Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)

149 East 39th Street, New York City, New York, 10016-0913, United States

Murray Hill East Suites
Booking.com Orbitz.com Tingo.com

• Not for you

This hotel is where local Asian escorts frequently conduct their business. That explains the experience of the person whose bed was full of long black hairs (a kickback to the staff to use the room for free?) and indifferent service.

• mialwebb's Profile Photo

GOOD VALUE FOR NYC

ROOM WAS WONDERFUL CONSIDERING LACK OF LIVING SPACE IN NYC, THERE WAS A KITCHEN AND LIVING ROOM, BOTH SEPARATED FROM THE BEDROOM, LOBBY IS STUCK IN THE LATE 80'S BUT STILL NICE. THERE'S A GOOD AMOUNT OF STREET NOISE BUT AT LEAST CAN GET A ROOM WITH A WINDOW, OH YEAH, THE COUCH WAS A LET-OUT SOFA! SO WONDERFUL. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR AT LEAST 4 PEOPLE IF YOU'RE NOT SUPER HIGH MAINTENANCE. IS RIGHT OFF OF LEX AND CLOSE TO GRAND CENTRAL STATION, DID I MENTION THAT IF YOU GET A ROOM WITH A WINDOW TO THE STREET YOU WILL HAVE A VIEW OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING......AND THE PERSON ACROSS THE STREET'S LIVING ROOM.

Unique Quality: LOTS OF SPACE FOR NYC. CLOSE TO THE CALMER PART OF NYC

• Scaramouche21's Profile Photo

Murray Hill East Suites: An Incredible Value!

I have many friends and relatives in the New York metropolitan area, so I visit fairly often. Since my first solo visit in April 2003, the Murray Hill East Suites, which I accidentally discovered through Priceline.com, has been my hotel of choice. Tucked away on a nondescript block in the fairly quiet Murray Hill neighborhood, this all-suite hotel remains a best-kept secret of the well-informed and budget-conscious.
    Though the service tends toward the nonexistent and the building's sole "amenity" is a tiny basement workout facility, the unbelievable size of each suite and incredibly low per-night prices more than compensate for these small drawbacks. For between US$120 and US$200 per night, one is treated to a large living area with tables, couches, and full digital cable, a bedroom, a bathroom with dryer, a kitchenette (utensils included), and more often than not, a porch!
    As an added bonus, the Suites are within walking distance of Midtown, Herald Square, and the East Village. Grand Central Terminal, which includes a major subway station, is located just around the corner.
    Personally, I can't think of abetter deal in Manhatten.

Unique Quality: Though it's not particularly positive or negative, I would label the following characteristic "outstanding", in a "Different and cool" sense: The Murray Hill East is the only hotel I know of which still uses old-fashioned (non digital) keys! :)

Directions: Murray Hill neighborhood, between 4th and LExington Avenues on East 39th Street.

• kbl's Profile Photo

Affordable and comfortable

My brother and I spend five days in New York City and we tried this Murray Hill East Suites. We have not regretted our choice at all.
    We satyed in a junior suite. The bedroom is OK and the living has a second bed. Two couples can stay here eaasily.

Unique Quality: The Murray Hill East suites are locazted next to Park Avenue. Small shops and restaurants can be found within a block. When walking 15minutes, you are on Times Square.
    The hotel has older rooms but is very clean.
    The staff is polite and friendly

Directions: 39th E street between 3th AV and Park Avenue.

• Radiomom's Profile Photo

Comfy place for an extended stay!

We got this hotel through Priceline for $115 (plus tax and fees it came to $137) for a weekend night. It is a great location, and our one-bedroom suite was spacious, immaculate, and very quiet -- we were on the first floor, which was really easy for getting in and out.

The service was not as friendly and hospitable as I've come to expect from these smaller, all suite hotels that seem to have gotten more common in the city. We were missing an iron -- having searched in all three of the closets, plus the kitchen (there was a full kitchen!) and bathroom cabinets. When I asked for an iron at the front desk, the clerk rather rudely suggested that I needed to look in the closet. duh. About an hour later, my daughter walked down to the desk to see if we were ever going to see an iron -- the clerk rather rudely snapped at the bellman "Didn't you follow up on that?" I don't know who was the "weak link" there. The bellman did seem to dissapear when we were bringing in our bags, and again when we were leaving and headed out to pick upthe car.

Unique Quality: There was a garage around the corner where 24 hour parking was available for hotel guests at $22 -- a very good deal for NYC.

Aside from the surly staff, we really liked the suite, and slept like babies after our big night out on the town.

The price category selection I'm making is based on 2 persons sharing the room...it would probably cost the same for just one, seeing as it was a "Priceline" deal.

• nancy531's Profile Photo

Nice and in a quiet neighborhood

I tried on Priceline to pay under $100 for a 2 star or better hotel next to the touristy areas of NYC without much luck. I finally got this hotel in Murray Hill which is a little off the beaten path. The nearest subway stop is Grand Central Station which is a good 3-4 blocks away. However, now that we stayed there I was glad for the quiet of the neighborhood after battling tourists in times square and central park all day. You felt like you were going home rather than a hotel. We had a king size bed and an extra little couch and table in our room and even a little kitchen (thus the 'suites'). That came in handy when we ordered in dinner to our room from a nearby restaurant. We had no problems with the front desk and the doorman was great at hailing cabs for us. I would recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: No pool, no restaurant, no parking garage, but this is New York, what did you expect? Outstanding charactaristic would be the size of the room - large for NY and the attentiveness of the staff.

Directions: On 39th, closer to 3rd. Walk from Grand Central down park, turn on 39th.

More about Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)

Can't beat it for the money!

by TripAdvisor Member kristilyn1

I booked this for last weekend on Priceline. We got a room for $100. My friend did the same (we were traveling with our spouses and kids). Of course we did not realize that at the time of the booking it only guarantees you one bed. I've never had a problem with priceline bookings and calling to get two beds, but when I called the hotel directly I was told I could only request two beds at check-in. With my husband and two kids in tow, I was sweating it out until arrival.

When we arrived, my friend and I tried to arrange for adjoining rooms so we could relax together as couples after the kids went to bed--sorry none available. We hadn't complained about it, but were just a little disheartened and ready to settle for what we could get--after all it's only a $100 hotel room, when the manager came over and upgraded us to a two bedroom suite. Two full beds in each bedroom, a pull out couch, two bathrooms, a kitchen, etc. It was perfect for our two families and it made for a fantastic weekend. While the decor is 80's modern--it was in impeccable shape with not a bit of mold, stains on carpet, faded bedspreads, or anything.

I thought the neighborhood was extremely convenient and nice and will definitely plan on staying there for any subsequent trips to NY. If you like friendly service, a clean room for cheap money--than the Murray Hill East Suites is for you.

A hotel room bigger than my old studio apartment!

by TripAdvisor Member Alan_From_Rancho

On a recent trip to Manhattan, I decided to check via Priceline to see what I could find. Priceline put me in the Murray Hill East Suites, for about $50 a night, with taxes. Normal rate for this hotel is around $180 a night.

The hotel is in Murray Hill, which is a great little neighborhood very close to the U.N. (If you're familiar with Manhattan, it's on 39th street, between Lexington and 3rd Ave.) The neighborhood is very quiet, and there are plenty of delis, restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc... within just a few blocks.

You are also very close to all of the sights. The hotel is just down the street from the Chrysler Building. The U.N. is about a 10 minute walk away. Rockefeller Center, Times Square, the Empire State Building, and other sites are all within a 15 minute to half hour walk. You can also walk 4 blocks down to Grand Central Station and hop the subway to anywhere in town. (There is a subway shuttle between Grand Central and TImes Square, if you don't want to walk.)

The hotel is small, but very clean. The building almost reminds you of an apartment building. There is a small lobby with places to sit. Check in was a breeze, and everyone I dealt with at the front desk was pleasant and professional. The hotel still uses keys for the rooms, instead of keycards. (How Quaint!) The front desk is small, and there is no concierge service. The hotel does have a small fitness center, and also has a self-service laundromat.

The rooms are very basic, but HUGE by Manhattan standards.It was bigger than a studio apartment that I once lived in. There is a tiny kitchen with a sink, refrigerator, and a small stove/oven, and cups, plates, and utensils. A microwave does not come in the room, but you can ask for one. There is a small dining area with table, and a very comfortable couch on which an extra person can sleep if need be. The TV was only a 20 inch or so, and the remote could be used to turn the TV on or off, change the volume, or go up or down on the channels. It didn't have a number pad on it. The bed was a king size, and I had *no* problems sleeping. The bathroom is your average sized hotel bathroom with a sink and a tub.

The only problem I had was that when I first got into the room, there was a slight smell to it. It took me a while to realize that they had cleaned the carpet, and there was still a lingering smell of the carpet cleaning material. The smell faded within a day or so.

Overall, I was *VERY* happy with the hotel. I would not stay there for the full price, but for what I paid, I got an EXCELLENT bargain. I was very satisfied with my stay here.

I have included 3 photos of the room. You can see them here:
----

Best Value In NYC.

by TripAdvisor Member tandelor

On my way for the 3rd stay at The Murray Hill East. Quiet neighborhood, close to Grand Central Terminal, lots of room, clean and safe. Staff has always been friendly. Nothing fancy, but very homey.

Fantastic Deal in NYC

This hotel is a great deal in NYC because the rooms are significantly larger than NYC average and they are clean. We (3 adults, 2 children) had booked 2 rooms through Orbitz and requested 2 double beds per bedroom. Upon arrival they didn't have this type of bed available but they gave us a FREE upgrade on the penthouse suite which was just great: 2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, plenty of closets, a large living room with 2 sofas, a coffe table, a dining table with 4 chairs, a fully equipped kitchen and even a roofdeck with some deck-chairs. The suite was very clean and quiet and the roofdeck was a great extra you normally don't get in NYC. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for ample bedrooms in NYC at reasonable prices ($150 - $200 plus tax.) The Murray Hill East is close to Grand Central Station and shops on Park and Madison Avenues. It has no Bar and no Restarant which is fine with me, because there are plenty of dining and entertainment options when you just step onto the street.

Budget accommodation - which is best?

by vyxxyn

Hiya

I'm intending to spend halloween's weekend in NYC with a couple of European friends. Which of the following budget accommodation would you recommend:
- The Cosmopolitan Hotel

- Empire State Building
- Union Square
- Guggenheim & The Met
- Shopping along 5th and 6th Ave

More importantly a hotel that's safe, and has good heating facilities and clean. Thanks!

by 10028

Of those, I'd definitely go for the Beacon. Well-reviewed hotel in a wonderful neighborhood, great access to all public transport. Ten minutes to Times Square.

I rely on the reviews from www.tripadvisor.com.

by KaterinaJordan

jazz on the park hostel

Check this link. It was written today in VT

Katerina

by joesorce

3 people squeezing into one room? I'd probably go for the Beacon or the Quality Inn, although check because some have 2 person maximum the rooms are small

Comments