1 out of 5 stars1 Star

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 11% higher than other 1 star hotels

• jacquelynNY's Profile Photo

awesome experience in nyc

I love this hotel! I've stayed here twice with a couple friends, and the rooms are so cheap! Everything was clean and comfortable, which is almost impossible to find for these kinds of prices in New York city. It's so nice to be able to spend your money on SEEING NYC instead of spending everything on the hotel.
    The hotel staff was really nice, and the receptionists knew a lot about the city and the neighborhood. There are also tons of cute restaurants and bars within a five minute walk from the hotel. I'm definitely making reservations here the next time i come to NY, which will hopefully be soon!!

More about Murray Hill Inn

great place!

I recently spent the better part of a week in Manhattan, staying at the Murray Hill Inn, and I really think the place was great. It was inexpensive, clean, comfortable and the staff was amazingly service minded and quick on the uptake, even to the point of mailing me a cd I forgot - transatlantic! I can only recommend the place.

Stay Away From This Hotel...

My fiancee and I had the unfortunate experience of staying at the Murray Hill Inn duringa Thanksgiving stay in the New York area. I selected the Murray Hill based on an Internet search as a low cost alternative after our plans to stay with relatives in the New York area fell through. If I had known about Tripadvisor prior to selecting the Murray Hill Inn, I would have selected another property in New York.

I would advise against this hotel. I will say it again. I WOULD NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I was injured, literally BURNED, by an unlabled steam pipe in one of their "boutique" rooms, actually a furnished room the size of a closet. It turned out to be a second degree burn, an extremely uncomfortable momento of our stay in New York with a six-inch scar that I and my dermatologist are still trying to treat. The management referred my finacee and I to their insurance company. The insurance company when contacted by our attorney indicated the Murray Hill Inn did not have liability insurance (!!!)
Obvously we are contemplating legal action at this point to insure that any other guests are at least adequately warned about the steam pipes and the obvious danger they pose to the unwary guest!

Stay away from this one!

Bed & Bath in mid-Manhattan

by TripAdvisor Member M99999

We stayed almost one week at Murray Hill Inn. The location is great; near many sights & shopping, safe neighbourhood and many restaurants. Rooms are clean but small, bathrooms are clean. The staff isn't so friendly. Breakfast (bagel & coffee/juice) is included which is a nice extra. Prices are very reasonable. I recommend that hotel for the budget-minded travelers, who likes private bathrooms

Do not stay here!

Staying at the Murray Hill Inn was a complete nightmare! First off, the concierege is unfriendly and not helpful at all! This was my first time to NY and staying at this hotel ruined the entire trip for me. I didn't know that there were no elevators and of course lugging your luggage up mulitple steps was a pain! They advertsie that all rooms are air conditioned but they take it out in the winter (because they're cheap) and I guess they don't put it back into the rooms until summer time. Well, my room didn't have any A/C but I guess some rooms did as they would not switch us into any room that had it. I went during the Spring and therefore was forced to leave the window open to get some sort of ventilation into my room and it was so noisy. You can literally see and hear everything...street cars passing through, conversations, etc... Oh, and the place was so untidy. I found several hairs of all kinds in our bathrooms and was afraid to walk around the tiny room without my slippers. The building is very old and the pipes were making a continuous thud like sound the first couple of nights we were there which made my sleep unbearable. And the employees seemed uncaring...they did not once offer an apology! They do not believe in Customer Service there! In the morning you would wake up to pidgeons on your window sill and because we had our window open they were right there cooing. Which I thought was pretty unsanitary but could not help it, it was either die of heat or open the window. I would never suggest anyone staying here...spend the money to stay someplace nicer (even the Clarion hotels would have been much better). I wish I had read these reviews before I decided to stay there...it IS as bad as everyone claims it is....trust me!

not the greatest!

my boyfriend and i wanted somewhere central in new york for 5 days that didnt cost a fortune and we thought we had found it with the murray hill inn but it wasnt all it claimed to be. To be honest the location of the hotel is great- within walking distance of the main shopping areas and many tourist attractions and in a quiet safe street. but our room was much smaller than i thought it would be, it became quite cramped after a few days shopping began to build up - the room itself was very clean and the toilet was nicely decorated. but on the down side we had problems with the pipes in our room which were quite noisey and often woke us up. also the walls of the room are very thin so u tend to hear when someone flushes the toilet or turns on the tap! a previous reviewer spoke about getting burned by the exposed pipes in the room- these get very hot and i was lucky not to burn myself on them too. we had a mixed experience with the staff on the desk- one guy in particular was extremely helpful - he let us use the reception phone to make a call and looked up a few places on the internet for us. but many of the staff were very stand-offish and indifferent to us. i dont think i'd automatically book to come back here- there are definately nicer places to stay in that price bracket- but location wise and for cleanliness its not too bad. if i couldnt get any other accomodation i would consider it.. its fairly ok.

Got used to it

by TripAdvisor Member gastup

Let me start by saying that my wife and I weren't expecting the Waldorf. This is a discount inn in the middle of Manhattan and there are bound to be a few issues to deal with. We found the staff to be helpful and pleasant, but were disappointed when we were assigned a basement room that afforded a view similar to that found from the front window of the "Cheers" television show. The room was small and the bed considerably smaller than the queen we thought we had reserved. A queen wouldn't have fit into that room. Being the basement, the room also would have beern interesting had we been plumbers since the drop ceiling couldn't hide all of the pipes. On the positive side, the room had a great bathroom--huge shower, nicely tiled. We found the room to be clean. Being from a small town, New York street noise took a little getting used to, as did the FIRM bed. But we were there five days and grew accustomed to the place. Another positive about the inn, is the location. Being near the intersection of Lexington and 30th St., it's midway between downtown and midtown. We walked to many of the sights and the subway is close by. Breakfast comes in the form of a voucher to the corner deli/grocery.
We agreed that we'd stay there again, although we'd probably like to move up a couple of floors.

Be Aware!

After a bad experience at the Murray Hill a few years ago when they had double booked us and we had to sleep in the basement lobby as it was Labor Day weekend and they couldn't find alternative accomodation, I was a bit wary in rebooking for a weekend. Always willing to give people a second chance and because of the hotels great location I booked up in March for a stay mid-June. TWO DAYS before we left the UK we received an email saying our reservation has been cancelled but they have found us alternative accomodation at their sister hotel the Amsterdam Inn which is uptown and not in such a prime location. Leaving us a nightmare trying to get a decent hotel in NY with only two days notice. After talking with some other people, it seems they may take double bookings for the Murray Hill, trading on the good location and then just shunt guests up to the other hotel at the last minute. They were very curteous when I called and cancelled but when you are doing last minute preparations for a big holiday, the last thing you want is to find a quality hotel with so little notice. We were prepared for the small rooms but save yourself the gamble and get a room were they will fulfill your reservation and save yourselves the hassle from this one.

do not listen to the bad reviews on this site this place is fantastic!

Please, Please, Please do not listen to the bad reviews on this site. This place is fantastic! It's only 4 blocks from the empire state and macys, we were able to walk to times square and up to central park from here. the hotel is on a quiet street and both myself and my friend slept fine. we stayed on the 5th floor, no lift so lugging bags up is a bit of a struggle but we we're offered help with our bags. there is also a phone and internet access in the basement. the people at the front desk could not be more helpful. we kept our room keys with us at all times and you have to show your key/identification to be let in the building so very secure. The room was lovely, large with wooden floors and very comfortable and lovely big bathroom with power shower. We stayed in E10 or 510 as it says on the keys. My friend and I would definately stay here again!!

It depends what your expectations are

I as a single young traveller (22 years) spend my days in NYC (I stayed there from 19-31st of August) in room D06 (or 406). When you spend your time mostly outdoors (because you did book for vacation to see something, not to stay indoors) I thought it was a perfect spot to settle and have a night sleep. Of course there are no stairs yes, and it is not complete deluxe comfort, but I had totally not to complain about the service. You do not have to carry your luggage upstairs, the friendly staff did it for me and the breakfast at the corner Cafe Vienna, is so cosy and kind. I really liked my stay there!

Accomodation October

by lynetteg

Hi will be in New York (myself and husband) in October.
Looking at a studio from Metro-Home apartments.
Does anybody know of them?
Are they OK.
Other place looking was Murray Hill Inn.
Both similar costing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ta Lynette

by 10028

I've never heard of the Murray Hill Inn, but it gets decent reviews on tripadvisor:

Click on the link to see user photos, though, and you'll see the rooms are very tiny.

I don't know about Metro-Home, but can tell you that most vacation apartments in NYC are illegal or outright scams. Even listing sites, like VRBO and similar that are popular all over the world, do not vet the legality of their listings. Your best bet is to rent an apartment-style hotel, like the Affinia Group (which has several properties -- the Affinia Dumont is highly regarded and is in the Murray Hill neighborhood), the Salisbury (two blocks from Central Park, has enormous rooms), or the very popular Radio City Apts. in midtown.

by jacquelynNY

hey, i've actually stayed at that hotel a couple of times & i really like it. it's quaint and small, but very clean and in a nice neighborhood. i totally recommend going

by dino335

I actually live next door to the Murray Hill Inn. This a decent no frills hotel and the location is good. It's basically an old apartment house that was converted to a hotel. You won't have any view but of another building, small room. On a residential street. You are two blocks from the subway. Walking distance to Empire State, Madison Square Park, Union Square, Times Square. Plenty of bars and Restaurants close by. Really the type of place where you don't want much more than a clean place to sleep in a decent location.

This hotel group also includes Union Square Inn and Amsterdam Inn (Upper West Side). Two other places that are comparable to these are Hotel 31, which is a block from Murray Hill Inn and Hotel 17.

by lynetteg

Thank you. The web site for Metro-home looks as official as the Affinia one but after reading your posts I am a bit nervous about booking it.
I'll do a bit more checking I think.

Comments