New York Hostel 99

30 East 129 Street, New York City, New York, 10035, United States
AMOMA.com

More about New York City

Big enough for you ?Big enough for you ?

crispy patacrispy pata

appetizer, a bit blurry but tomato, mozarellaappetizer, a bit blurry but tomato, mozarella

bakery at HON Cafébakery at HON CafĂ©

Coney Island

Hi,

We are not visiting until Oct 2011 (but planning our honeymoon is my current project!) - would coney island be open at this time of year or is it only the summer months?

wanted to visit as heard plans were afoot to redevelop.

by xymmot

Coney \Island is open year around, and sometimes it is warm in October because of the global warming. There are different things to do there, but as honeymooning, I think it my be a bit odd. How about Niagra Falls near Buffallo, NY. Cheers Tommy x

by clareabee

hi we both would really like to go to Coney Island...~Niagara falls is a little bit too far as to fully appreciate we would need to take an overnight stay and don't really have the time when there is so much we want to see in manhattan but thanks for the suggestion.

by Donna_in_India

Much of Coney Island is seasonal. The rides won't be open in October. The boardwalk and the Aquarium will be open. The Museum is open on weekends year round. The water will be too cold for swimming but you can check out the beach. Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs is there as well. Coney Island claims to be the birthplace of the hot dog and a dog at Nathan's is a must do! There's definitely much more atmosphere during the summer but you can still get a taste during October. Have fun!

by clareabee

thanks Donna - we may have to just go in October....when children come along not sure when will be our next visit!

by clareabee

thanks Pedmar...sounds like it is worth going just for the Hotdogs!

by ter1413

...and after you can walk along the boardwalk to the Brighton Beach area which is a large Russian community in Brooklyn. Some nice restaurants/stores/etc.

by clareabee

thank you - it seems like it is certainly worth a visit!

by 10028

I'm with ter1413...Brighton Beach is definitely worth a visit, especially the Russian food shops and restaurants. The places up on the boardwalk are touristy and the service is awful, but if the weather is nice enough for outdoor seating, it's worth putting up with that for a plate of pierogies and a view of the Atlantic.

The original Totonno's Pizza is another "must" in Coney Island!

Travel Tips for New York City

Feeling Safe

by L_stGrrlDi_s

While I was in NYC I never felt afraid. I know there are a lot of assumptions people make about travelling around Manhattan and being a tourist, however I feel they simply arent true. Everyone was very nice. I was a female travelling alone. People gave me great directions. i was a typical tourist. I had my back pack on, two cameras around my neck and a map of the subway/manhattan island stretched out in front o fme virtually the whole time I was walking aroudn the city. No one was cruel, no one harrassed me and I never got robbed or felt unsafe. On virtually every intersection in the city there was at least one police officer. Outside of most upscale hotels there were several police officers outside. On every major intersection there was a police officer at every corner. There were two Hazmat crews set up in Time Square. I felt safer in NYC then I do most of the time at home.

Chilling Dated Picture

by littlesam1

I took this picture back in 1989 while I was at the Statue of Liberty. I just found it the other day while looking for pictures for my VT pages. It really gave me cold chills to see the World Trade Center in this picture. Who knew back in 1989 that such tragedy was waiting to happen? I do not know if I am really ready to return to the same spot and take a new picture or not. But I am glad that I found this picture. I would not trade it for anything now. It brings back so many memories both good and horrific.

I took the D train to Coney...

by BluecatCanoe

I took the D train to Coney Island one day, walked around another, just hung out. I need to find the pictures to fill in my bad memory. Eventually I had to leave and went to grand Central to hop a bus to the airport.

NYPD

by jo104

The boys in blue are there to keep you safe on the streets. Since the zero-tolerance policing has been bought into effect crime in New York has reduced significantly. There is a very strong police presence and especially around the police depot at time square after a pipe-bomb exploded outside. I was lucky enough to meet one of these boys in blue through my good friend Rhoda & got my own personal tour guide & some info to line my pages!

Trinity Church (Episcopal)

by yooperprof

Trinity Church at the head of Wall Street is housed in a magnificent Gothic Revival structure that dates from the 1840s, but there was an congretation here in the late 17th century, which actually at one time they owned most of lower Manhattan. Through a series of shrewd and careful real estate deals, Trinity Church amassed an endowment that still is one of the largest for any church congregation in the United States. And because of its central role in the social, political, not to mention religious development of New York, Trinity Church is still an interesting place to visit -- a spiritual counterpart to the forces of "Mammon" which are so dramatically represented by the New York Stock Exchange only a block away.

The architect for Trinity Church, Richard Upjohn (1802-1878), was much inspired by Augustus Pugin in England, whose contemporary Gothic creations in England include the Palace of Westminster in London. Upjohn's success here hepled to popularize neo-Gothic design in the United States, and were a key influeunce upon later practictioners of the style - such as H. H. Richardson (designer of Boston's famous gothic-designed Trinity Church).

Comments