Oakwood Midtown East

300 East 38th Street, New York City, New York, 10016, United States

More about New York City

Selection of oysters and clams from around the worSelection of oysters and clams from around the wor

washington statue blocked by treeswashington statue blocked by trees

in park avenuein park avenue

pilgrimspilgrims

Dress code

by KellyNY

Hi,
Yet another question/advice needed!
Obviously places like Macdonalds/street stores etc, any clothes I am guessing is fine (i.e jeans, trainers, boots etc)
How about if you eat somewhere more classy? Or if we choose to eat at the Plaza as we are staying there one night? What would be acceptable clothes?!?!

Thank you.

by Agraichen

Well.... I've eaten lunch in the Oak room in jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes, but you will have others dressed quite formally. NYC is not as stuffy as it used to be but in the evening I'd dress a bit more.

by riorich55

In most major U.S. cities at classy or upscale restaurants I would think Business Casual is the norm. Here are some Business Casual definitions from Wikipedia.

for women: A reasonable length skirt (not mini-skirt) or full-length trousers of a non-jeans material combined with a top (such as a dress shirt, polo, or sweater set) is considered acceptable. An informal dress with appropriate skirt length is also acceptable.

for men: A combination of collared shirt (such as a dress shirt or polo shirt), cotton trousers (such as khakis or blue, green, brown, or black trousers) with a belt, and modest shoes (such as loafers) with socks is generally acceptable. A blazer or business jacket can optionally be added.

In some places men may be required to have a jacket or tie. You can usually check with the restaurants website or call them ahead of time to see if that's what they require. Some restaurants will even loan their patrons jackets and ties, but do check that out ahead of time.

by zuriga

If you eat at a fairly expensive restaurant, I would wear 'casual elegance' or whatever it's called now. Times have changed but the folks in high end restaurants will usually be dressed quite nicely the same as you would do in London or Paris.

by karen_mo

Smart casual should be okay... no jeans or trainers - a collar for the fella. USA is generally more casual than the UK - clean, tidy and smart should do you in all but the ponciest of places.

by clareabee

i would say for the plaza you need to notch it up a gear as others have said no trainers or jeans - i certainly wouldn't go to a more classy establishment wearing jeans (i never wear trainers apart from in the gym) - and whether folks agree or not you do get treated differently if you have made a bit more of an effort

Travel Tips for New York City

Just returned from a week in New York with my wife

by JOCAPEXA

Just returned from a week in New York with my wife. See what we liked and disliked!

We liked:
1. Our hotel and its location(The Carlton Hotel at Madison Avenue). In fact we loved it!
2. The proximity to the 5th Avenue and subway (green line 1 block away and 2 other lines 5-10 m away)
3. We enjoyed the hop on and hop off bus tour. It was really worth it!
4. We liked the reasonable priced deli for breakfast next to our hotel (corner of 5th Avenue and 28th street);
5. We had fun in the ferry to Staten Island and see the statue of liberty. It was our moment of relief, this where we spent 1 hour wihtout spending money!
6. We loved the diner cruise, it was really amazing the see the city by night;
7. We liked the Sex and the City tour. It was quite hilarious, at least we had a good laugh and the guide was real good.
8. We had a spectacular view at the Rockfeller center, we had the chance to see the sunset and the lightning up of the city;
9. We liked the GreenVillage area and the Upper East Side next to Central Park.
10. The shopping was fine, a lot of places to spend money. You don't really feel the recession in New York!!

What we disliked:
1. We hated the tip or gratuity culture in the USA. it's simply horrible, such a huge pressure to have always 1-2 bucks in your hand to tip anyone!
2. we disliked the service in some restaurants, but still we had to tip 15 - 18%, we were simply afraid to be embarrassed by the waiter or the person serving us!
3. We really hated when we visited the well know terrace bar at the 230 5th Avenue (where you can have a spectacular view of the city and the Empire State building) when the waiter asked us for our credit card to be kept in her hands. When I asked what for, she said that there was too many people and basically she was afraid we would runaway with paying. If they din't trust the customers, why we should trust them? of course I refused and instead I paid straight away. Never seen such situation before. The food was horrible and of course we still gave a tip. Again we were afraid to be pointed out in front of so many people!
4. We disliked the breakfast at our hotel, too expensive and hardly nothing too eat;
5. We didn't particular liked Chinatown, it was too chaotic!
6. We disliked the transport from the airport to the hotel. We booked with Airlink, we had to wait more than 30 m to leave and the driver was rather nuts in terms of driving. The way back to the airport was better, despite the van was 10 minutes late;

The weirdest building...!!!!

by C_L_T

The front of the Museum of Sex has to be one of the weirdest buildings around...It's been painted red with giant sperms travelling down the wall.....someone has a sense of humour!!! It's just down a side street in front of the Flat Iron building. (oh and the museum isnt worth the entrance fee!!)
www.museumofsex.com

it is certain that almost all...

by katie_park

it is certain that almost all tourists in new york are likely to spend hours wondering time square for shopping or some reasons...i've been to NY 3 times--first time, i surely looked around as a member of group-and as the only asian, and second time, i visited there for orientation prior to working at Pats Peak, a ski area in NH. Third one was on my way home from NH... at that time, i unpacked my luggages in the Edison Hotel nearby time square, and just spent the last night all by myself wondering around for some hours... in fact, i got pretty accustomed to the direction and the atmosphere which make people so excited... huge signs for advertisements may overwhelm bypassers, though, you will never get bored as you look up and enjoy figuring out what those stand for, advertise... some are quite amazing and creative...
i wish i had such a talent so that i could decorate my house with awesome stuffs!

Central Park. I'm sure that...

by Kegye_Cs.

Central Park. I'm sure that mostly everyone heard of this large and beautiful park that lies in the heart of the city. I think it gives you a special feeling to walk into this huge gym and see lots of people jogging, playing basketball, baseball and all kinds of sports. I loved to be there and what I miss the most is the atmosphere of New York, the life in this amazing city.

Cup a Noodles

by Rhondaj

My favorite thing about Times Square is the Cup a Noodles that lets out a stream of steam every few minutes. What a disappointment it will be if it ever loses ad space. Unless of course, that Bud bottle below starts foaming...

Comments