Oakwood at 777 6th Avenue

AMOMA.com TheHotels.com

More about New York City

Great selection!Great selection!

the squarethe square

to park avenueto park avenue

grrrgrrr

by swdke

For anyone whos "been there done that", or knows, what exactly is the procedure or process for the NYPD to fill the pens on Times Square New Years Eve?

I've read a few things such as: "you are advised to enter from Sixth or Eighth Avenue, and before you are assigned to a pen, you go through a very detailed security checkpoint, also when one section fills up, people will be directed to the next viewing section."

Therefore, if you're arriving into Times Square, you might want to go to Sixth or Eight Avenue to enter. However, what I really want to know is what if you're staying at a Times Square hotel, like the Marriott Marquis, or DoubleTree, and are already there? Also, where exaclty is this security checkpoint? Another question, if you get there early and find a spot you like before a pen is set up, are the pens formed around you? Or, are all the pens already set up? If so, and you get there early and like a particular pen area, but is not yet being filled, how do you work your way into that pen once it opens?

Basically, I understand the basics of the NYPD directing you into pens, but I am looking for more detail and specifics. Thanks for any information.

Re: Filling Pens at Times Square on New Years Eve, looking for more detal on this procedure?

by Donna_in_India

Hey Steve - I don't have a lot of info since I have not done this but did try to... if you book the party at TGI Friday's, they bring you out into a pen just before midnight, which sounded a lot better than spending 10-12 hours in one. I am pretty sure that the hotels are booked far in advance. There are a few other restaurants in TS having parties but if you decide to do that be sure that they actually have a pen or view of the ball. Some don't - think Hard Rock is one of them. Have fun!

Travel Tips for New York City

NYC-BUF

by JennysTravels

Im orginally from Niagara Falls. I have flowen with Delta from Buffalo-NYC and return. You can drive to Niagara Falls from Buffalo airport in about 40minutes. There are also NYC-Toronto flights and the drive to Niagara Falls from Toronto is 1 hour 30 mins.

Yes...Niagara you can see in a day...but you won't experience it. If you rent a car in Buffalo and drive to Niagara Falls make sure to visit the Canadian side. While your there maybe a night or two? Check out Niagara-On-The-Lake, it's a cute little town 30mins from Niagara Falls and it's not to be missed. Grab a pint at the Angel Inn.

www.delta.com
www.jetblue.com
www.usairways.com
www.northwest.com
www.united.com

I just checked with expedia.com and flights are starting at $138US return.

Have Fun.

Conventions at the Jacob Javits Center

by kazander

At least once a year I attend a convention at the Javits center, a beautiful modern glass building visible from the Henry Hudson Parkway. Usually It's the Photo Plus show (now, because I have to work at my company's booth, before that I just went for fun) But they hold all kinds of shows. Car shows, boat shows, any sort of hobby you're into there is a show for it! Most recently I attended the Pathways to Beauty and Wellness show. Which was geared towards women. All kinds of vendors displaying their wares, giving free samples ect... Usually you can get into these events for free if you register early enough, either by mail or online. If you are a walk in the entrance fees can be up to $25. At all the conventions there are also seminars on specific topics relating to the show. These seminars are not free and you must register for them in advance.

The Javits Center was also where we volunteered after the tragedy of 9/11 Jacob K. Javits Convention Center — 655 West 34th Street — New York, NY 10001

We did so many great things...

by Cazza777

We did so many great things that its very hard to pick just one thing to recommend but if pushed I would have to choose the World Trade Centre Observation Platform just as the sun is setting - totally unforgetable! Wonderful & breathtaking views from here & a nice food available too. Walking out onto the roof terrace of our hotel (The Metro - W 35th street) & seeing the Empire State building, resplendent in red, white & blue, towering above us.

Go on a New York Apple tour...

by SANVAN

Go on a New York Apple tour and drive through all the boroughs like Manhattan, Harlem, Brooklyn and the Bronx. I usually like to explore a city myself and I am not really a fan of organised excursions but in New York this is a must. At $21 you get a chance to se very interesting things and day to day life in New York. New Yorkers I met where very friendly and not at all what is generally said about them. Though people where in a hurry and a mobile on both ears dodging traffic all the time people took the time to show the way and I even got my camera back I left in a restaurant by accident.

Shows,Musicals..

by mehbos37

In fact I could not manage to see a show or a concert as I had limited time,but even the ads are very colurful and impressive..

I hope to visit there in July and see many many shows,concerts..

Comments