79-00 Queens Boulevard, Elmhurst, New York, 11373, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 46% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Argawana's Profile Photo

As good as it gets

We found this hotel after browsing several travel websites, check the location, compare prices and read user comments ; and so finally we selected Pan American in Queen Avenue, Elmhurst. If you arrive at JFK, the hotel is conveniently located in Queens, on the way to Manhattan. The price is fairly cheap for New York standard. But don't expect to get fancy room and lush treatment as you pay the same price in Las Vegas! The other good thing, they provide free parking is you rent a car so you can just take the subway if you want to explore Manhattan downtown. You know how hard (and expensive) it could be to find a parking space in Manhattan.

Unique Quality: - Subway station is 4 blocks away, within walking distance
    - Provide free parking

• pafur1's Profile Photo

Great value and convenience!

We stay at the Pan Am whenever we're in transit and passing through NY for a day or two. Not only do you save on the room rental - an equivalent Manhattan hotel is $50-$70 more per night - but you also save on the cab fare to and from JFK or La Guardia- another $70-80. So all in all for a 2 day stay you are $200 better off!

The Pan Am has a free shuttle to the airports, restaurant(so-so) on premise, is 15 minutes from the tube, and a 20 minute ride by tube out of Manhattan. It's walking distance to Macys, a large mall, and Best Buys, as well as a few restaurants and fast food places.

The rooms are fair-sized, clean and quiet. Service is great- we always ask for, and get, an early check in.

Unique Quality: Convenient to airport, shopping, and Manhattan.
    Really well priced for New York.

More about Pan American Hotel

Not Great - Stay Elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member CanadianCapital

We had to stay at the Pan American Hotel on our last night in New York City because the other hotel we were at was booked for the last night. It seemed like a good idea, free shuttle to La Guardia, close (ish) to the subway.

If you're going to NYC I'd steer clear of this hotel.

It wasn't awful but the hotel we were in earlier (West Side Inn) was much better value and was a lot closer to the action. It takes more than 30 mins to take the subway to Times Square. Also, although floors of the hotel are being rennovated, hope you're not on an older one.

The room and bathroom weren't dirty but they weren't exactly clean either.

I suppose I'm a little more cranky because, despite our very specific reservations and me calling to confirm, the hotel bunged it up and we were stuck in a room we didn't want (the hotel was full so we couldn't switch).

The airport shuttle was very convenient.

This hotel could be alright for a business traveler not wanting to tour the city but I suggest you stay in Manhattan for cheaper.

Pan Amazing

This hotel was just what my family and I were looking for! We travel to visit our family who live in Manhattan, and found this hotel on a travel website. Not only was the Pan American in the most convenient location, but also the helpful staff and the clean, spacious rooms made our stay enjoyable and pleasant. Free shuttles to the airports, excellent service and hospitality!

Convenient and Courteous

I am a flight attendant that has stayed at the Pan American numerous times a month over the past 8 yrs. It has literally become a second home to me. The staff is always courteous and helpful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. If you know anything about NYC then you know just how rare and convenient it is for a hotel to provide transportation to both JFK and LGA!

Great wee hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member vonnibabes

This was my second trip to New York, 1st visit to Queens (the 1st time I stayed in Manhatten) It was a 21st Birthday present from my sister and we went for 5 nights shopping at Christmas.

Arriving in the hotel I was a bit dissapointed in the reception as it seemed a bit tacky but hey, its America! The staff at the desk were helpful although not too chatty which is just what you want after an 8 hour flight.

The rooms were spacious and had 2 double beds, medium sized wardrobe and chest of drawers, a mini fridge and large TV with cable. We thought the rooms were fabulous compared to some of the tiny rooms you get in Manhatten. The bathroom was clean and we always had fresh towles, maids were v. good. The traffic from outside was a bit of a pain but we were so tired (or drunk) after shopping all day it didnt disturb us much.

Taxi to Manhatten was about $20. We used the subway which was about 7-10 min walk from hotel going into the city and got cabs back which meant we got a fantastic view of the city and the bridges. Theyre was always door staff nearby so you felt very safe arriving back late at night.

The resturant at the hotel was more of a diner, good service and reasonably priced.

Overall I had a great time and the hotel was excellent in my eyes, esp for a 2 star! We got a great price, good room, good service and location was more than fine. Id definatley go to this hotel again.

Very nice older hotel

This is a great older hotel that is extremely well priced. The hotel is in the process of updating some of the common areas which appears to be needed. Don't let this keep you from staying there. Its well located between JFK and LGA airports. The staff is very friendly. Tech tip: Wireless connection available in the lobby and restuarant.

pan am fab man

My partner and i booked this hotel over the internet, we found the hotel description a bit misleading on a number of things e.g. travelling to manhattan.
When we first walked in we wasn't expecting the best due to the low price but after reading the hotels website we expected alot more when it came to the decor of the place but after spending a night there we sort of warmed to the place. We arrived, might i add by a very prompt shuttle service from JFK, two days before new year. As it was early evening we didnt want to travel down to Manhattan so we spent our night finding our feet in queens. My opinion is that if i ever visit new york again i would have to go to queens, i think it was so good because its really american, not like Manhattan.
Although we were expecting alot more, after our stay there we think that the service overall was exellent, the barstaff are friendly and make great cocktails! Maids cleaned the room everyday and the reception staff were more than helpful.
I recomend that if you ever visit this hotel go to the pop diner for food whatever time of day it is, its great there, its right from the hotel.
We were happy with this hotel in most aspects the only downfall was distance from manhattan. I would definately stay there again on a short stay, if i was visiting new york on a long stay they should seriously think about having a pan american in manhattan. Also its good location for the macys shopping center about fifteen minutes to your right.

OK for a Late Arrival

by TripAdvisor Member Chorizogolf

As a first night's base after arriving at JFK at 9.00pm US time, it was fine. The rooms are big with comfy beds, the bathroom is basic but works well. The neighbourhood is noisy as traffic runs all day and night up Queen's Bd, but if you arrive late and tired, that doesn't matter. The hotel is undergoing renovation. At $100 it was decent value, especially as the hotel has its own free shuttle from JFK and it's only another $2 on the subway into Manhattan.

Good base for tennis/baseball

My son and I stayed at the Pan American for 4 days in Sept2004. Seemed like a safe neighborhood. Good location for the tennis and Shea stadium. Hotel was fine, we just used it as a base, accomodation was comfortable. Useful internet service for keeping in touch, emails etc. Courtesy bus service to and from airport was useful. Georgia Diner near the subway station was great for breakfast, etc.

pan american hotel

by ilovenyc

hi guys i have another question,

but first things first i hope everyone had a great thanksgiving, well with that all said and done...i was just curious about the PAN AMERICAN HOTEL (in queens, elmhurst)...i was looking for another alternate options something cheaper than our original reserved hotel, and this one seemed cool. like always i had to read the reviews but theres a mix of reviews that i came across...some liked it..had no probs with it...and then theres those that said when u walk outside at night its pretty scary..theres hookers and whatnot...now i wanna know if thats true?...is the neighborhood safe? they said that macys is within walkind distance .....im having doubts , i dont want to have to worry about my safety while walkin back to get somethin to eat or from shopping and stuff like that...so please ...let me know what u guys think of this place?...much appreciated...HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Re: pan american hotel

by 10028

Maybe it's just my bias, but I think it'd be so much easier staying in Manhattan. It's easier to be able to drop your stuff off during the day, change clothes, rest a bit, etc. And you wouldn't find it real convenient to haul yourself back to Queens every day.

You have to determine if the savings is worth the inconvenience.

Re: Re: pan american hotel

by ilovenyc

are they referring to the macy's featured at the thanksgiving parade? b/c they said that its walking distance from the hotel. have u been around that area? i know you mentioned that its pretty time consuming b/c the location is in queens. how far is it from timesqaure and all the great shopping areas...and other areas for sightseeing..esb...central park..rockefeller ...just to name a few.

Re: Re: pan american hotel

by 10028

Macy's Herald Square, the flagship store you're thinking of, is not in Queens, it's in midtown Manhattan, on Broadway at 34th Street. There is also a Macy's in Queens.

I'm not familiar with that location, so I can't give you any advice about the neighborhood. I believe you take the #7 train into Manhattan from there, which would take about half an hour to Manhattan.

Re: pan american hotel

by nywave

Hookers! How lucky. You'd be one of a few fortunate people who'd seen hookers in NYC (there are not many spots left anymore).
On a serious note, the hotel is located right on a major road, which looks more like a highway. There are many auto parts shops and garages around that close early, so the area might look desolated, but nevertheless it's safe. There is Macy's right cross the street from the hotel, you might want to go to this one, instead of the one in Manhatten (to avoid crowds).
There are also many ethic inexpensive eateries around, and the place is not as far from Manhattan as it seems (around 30 min train ride to Midtown). If you are really on a tight budget, I'd chose this one, after all you'd spend the same amount of time in taxi in Manhattan going from one point to another...

Comments