Park View Hotel

55 Central Park North, 110th Street & Lenox Avenue, New York City, New York, 10026, United States

More about New York City

View of construction around the towersView of construction around the towers

meme

waiting for flightwaiting for flight

closedclosed

Evening Wear In December

by purleyperfect

How should I dress of an evening in NYC in December for restaurants/bars/clubs? I'm aware it's going to be very cold but still want to look good for nights out. Will it be completely impractical to wear high heels or would boots be a better idea?

by ter1413

I will go out on a limb and assume that you are a woman(the high heels gave it way.) Actually, it would depend on the weather/club/bar/etc.

I have seen women in bars with sneakers on and also dressed VERY nicely. Basically also the same for restaurants/clubs. REALLY depends on where you are going. Boots in Dec would be a little less casual but not as dressy as heels. Heels are normal in some clubs/bars are will get you looked at strangely in others.

Do you have any ideas of where you are looking to go??

by keith750cc

Just got back this week, weather sunny during day but bitter a couple of nights, my wife took a dress and high heels to go out at night especially on our friends birthday, she said to me " I think its a bit chilly for this" jeans and boots Ok ?, most ladies dressed the same sort of way in many of the pubs, we didnt club though, too old and after 7hrs walking per day, didnt have the energy lol

by lynnehamman

I guess a compromise would be a very smart coat over a nice dress, with high heeled (but comfortable?) boots- thats a nice look.
But as another poster has stated- anything comfortable really is quite acceptable. Its New York!

by 10028

So much depends on the weather and how your feet feel. If you've been sightseeing all day, heels could be painful at night. And if it's raining, it's not worth ruining a good pair of heels.

Many women here were comfy shoes in the evening, and stick a pair of heels in their bag (in a plastic bag). You can check your boots if you're going to a nice restaurant or club.

by goodfish

Yes, it may depend on the boots - whether they're a rather outdoorsy pair or a nice, sleek, dressy model with a heel. The latter would probably be preferable but the other suggestion of carrying your shoes with you in a bag is probably the best solution.

by aniakx2

if you want to walk alot wear boots, but if you plan on clubbing...dress chic and take taxis. NY is best seen walking and its fairly urban casual. streets are clear of snow, and its my favorite time of year there because its so festive.

by Aloe9678

I'm just going to point out that most evening bags aren't really big enough to carry a pair of shoes in. :)

I'd say if you have an outfit you like and want to wear, go ahead and wear it. And really make sure all your shoes fit before you leave (also, if you're flying, drink water instead of wine on the flight, so you don't wind up with swollen feet!). I have shoes with heels that are actually more comfortable than flats, but they're the ones that I spent a considerable amount of time walking around the store in, to make sure the heel was actually centered under my heel.

Also don't forget that a well-fitting pair of pants with a shirt with some sparkle and great shoes can be just as fabulous as a coat, and you'll be a little warmer. ;)

by keith750cc

You girls and your shoes, warm and comfy everytime lol

Travel Tips for New York City

moost unique and diverse city

by summer1968

New York's greatest attractions are found on Manhattan Island, which is connected to the rest of the city and New Jerrcy by Suspension bridges, tunnels,and ferries.If you are fancy at museum, then the Statue of Laiberty would be the most famous landmark you should visit. I felt a little frustrated at getting around in New York city. Buses lines,Subways,taxies and ferries were driving me crasy.

David Letterman's The Late Show

by M0B1US

There we were lamenting the high cost of Broadway Show tickets at the TKTS booth when up pops this guy from the Late Show asking us if we wanted tickets...

All we had to do was correctly answer a question about the show and the tickets we ours! Luckily my partner in crime is a bit of a fan and the tickets were in the bag!

We had managed to avoid Bruce Willis' entourage on his visit to Planet Hollywood in Times Square (I even got a free 'mlife' t-shirt as a souvenir), so guess who we had as a guest of the show!?

He would late pop up in Hawai'i - we thought he was stalking us!

Anyway, if you fancy tickets lurk around the TKTS booth in Times Square and you never know your luck...

Do everything that New York...

by volarevolare

Do everything that New York offers!

Really, you must watch a Broadway play, go for poetry readings in Barnes & Nobles bookstores, take a cruise to the Statue of Liberty, acquaint yourself with Central Park (in the day), visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Guggenheim Museum, take the ride up to the top of the Empire State Building, take a look at the Plaza Hotel, go shopping at Macy's 34th Street, walk on 5th Avenue, attend Mass at St. Patrick's, use the trains and buses (in the day), and visit quaint places like SoHo, Tribeca and Greenwich Village, and... For me, it was being on my own, entirely on my own, for about 3 hours in New York.

I really liked that sense of independence... I took a bus from 5th Avenue towards the Empire State Building on 33rd Street! :p

It might seem odd for someone so old to be so thrilled at this almost inane 'triumph' -- but it was meaningful for me... and i enjoyed every minute of it!

I made my way to the Empire State Building that day, bought my ticket and made my way up to the observatory deck... feeling excited and really thrilled that I'd a chance to do so...

and there I was, on the deck made famous in 'Sleepless in Seatle' and it was beautiful! I walked around a few times, took a few shots -- and even though it was a rather cloudy day, and I couldn't see to forever... it was enough.

I'd go look for the photos and place them here soon...

eat at Vynl restaurant on...

by Starkeralssi

eat at Vynl restaurant on Ninth Avenue. There is something for everyone. I highly recommend the sesame chicken with jasmine rice. There is always something to do in NYC. When I'm away, like I am now, I miss the hustle and bustle like mad.

Street food

by Sophie1980

Wherever you are in NY, you can always get a bagel and a cup of coffee from a street vendor. And that's why I love this city. Really cheap, but delicious, I really miss NY bagels now I can no longer get hold of them. There's now't like a cream cheese bagel. Eating my cream cheese bagel and herbal tea at Grand Central Station, watching the world go by.

Comments