Pod Hotel

230 E 51st St, (formerly Pickwick Arms), New York City, New York, 10022, United States

Pod 51 Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 40% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• LynnieAshB's Profile Photo

Great Place to Come Home To

This was my first trip to New York and am glad I picked this hotel. I first picked it because of the location. Being there primarily for a Broadway play, I would be close enough to walk.

The staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms vary on size. I had a single "Pod" and was more than happy with it. The only downside to the hotel is that some rooms have shared bathrooms.

I would definitely recommend this to someone going to NYC. it's close to the subway, some small restaurants, Broadway...

Unique Quality: The coolest part of the hotel was the rooftop. You have this view of the city around the hotel that is serene and undisturbed by it at the same time. Outstanding!

The decor is very neat. Even the hallways :-)

• krismsong's Profile Photo

Pack'em and Stack'em

The place is clean, the neighborhood is safe, and the pricing is generally unbeatable. They have converted rooms to smaller accommodations--ship cabin style, thereby making the per person pricing so great.

Unique Quality: The location is blocks to the U.N., with easy access to the 6, M and E subway lines, and great pubs, diners and finer restaurants conveniently close by. Best of all the pricing is fantastic.

Directions: Midtown East

• xxsentiaxx's Profile Photo

Hip and (relatively) cheap in NYC

I chose this hotel based solely on location. It was two blocks from the E subway line which connected me to JFK Airport. It was also walking distance from every major sight in NYC including Central Park, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. I actually walked from the hotel all the way to South Street Seaport but I was a little ambitious.
    The price was the cheapest I could find for midtown Manhattan, our room was somewhere around $110 for a room with a double bed and a bathroom.
    I've traveled all through Europe so after reading the reviews of this hotel I was prepared for a small room, but when I opened the door I actually laughed out loud at how small this room was. It was THE smallest hotel room I have ever seen. You have to sleep on the bed sideways to fit and if I had to guess if you were any taller than 5'7" your feet would hang over the edge of the bed. The bathroom was also small, but was big enough to do your business in. The one thing that I didn't like about the bathroom is that there was no lock and you can see right into the shower from the room. There's also no ventilation in the room.
    Since I didn't travel to NYC to spend time in my hotel room this was a great spot to be in. I would definitely stay at this hotel again in the future. It was clean and convenient.
    I had just a few complaints about the hotel.
    1.) The walls are very thin so you can hear everything going on in the hall. So, when the group of highschool kids on a school trip wake up at 6am to start their morning routine, you can't help but have to wake up then too.
    2.) The elevators were slow. This is petty, I know. But we were on a high floor and when only 1 out of 3 elevators is working you can wait several minutes for an elevator that shows up on your floor full. Kind of frustrating. If I stay here again I will request a room on a lower floor so I can take the stairs.
    3.) Maid service didn't refill the soap and shampoo everyday.
    So, overall, a great stay with petty complaints.

• tim_japan's Profile Photo

Smart & Hip Rooms in Midtown East

The Pod Hotel is located in a great area, Midtown East on 51st Street. Staying here you are centrally located and within walking distance to many of New York's main sites: Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station, and Broadway - to name a few. The hotel itself is a lesson in New York hip and cool - flat panel televisions flash urban and even political statements behind the check in desk; the patio has a Mondrianesque mural on one wall; the rooms are small but super efficient sporting clean white walls and stainless accents.

Unique Quality: Rooms are equipped with light indicators to let you know if the bathroom down the hall is free; hotel gives you directions on how to "make room for fun," i.e. store your stuff under the bed, get into the bed with someone, and make fun; retro feel; great urban tunes pumped throughout the halls, bathrooms, and lobby.

Directions: Midtown East

• mmyerspa's Profile Photo

Hip hotel close to lots of restaurants

A few blocks east of Rockefeller Center.

www.podhotel.com

They have simple rooms with bunks, shared or private bath, and also a "townhouse" side (OK standard hotel accomodations but nothing like what they have pictured on their site). I thought the simpler rooms were cheaper, but had to go with the townhouse as we had 3 people that wanted to share 1 room with 2 beds. If everyone in your party wants their own bed, and a single size would suit, check out the rooms with bunks.

And, of course, every room has an iPod station (although this is no longer so unusual in hotels).

Unique Quality: convenient location, rooftop viewing area is very nice and the view is not bad

Directions: a few blocks east of Rockefeller Center. About 2-3 blocks to subway station.

• Best Burget Hotel In New York

I have been travling to New York City for many a years and i have found that this is the best
    Burget hotel in Manhattan.
    It was formerly know as the Pickwick Arms but has now been renovated.
    Each room has it own Ipod station.
    The single room with the shower in the hall are very clean.
    and the staff will go out of there way to help.
    The location is on the mid east side of town where there are plenty of bars for you
    to enjoy.
    If you need the subway it only two blocks away.
    I would very much recommend this hotel to any one who on a burget .

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Pickwick Arms Hotel

This is one of those places where you can just come and go as you please.

Unfortunately, no breakfast is available and you do have to share the toilet and showers, yet somehow there were never any queues. The shower was great - very powerful and hot - just what I need after a long day pounding the streets.

The location itself is great, but I didn't get a full night's sleep there at all - the price you pay for staying in Midtown Manhattan. After 4 nights, you can imagine the amount of concealer I had to put under my eyes to cover the dark circles!

The TV reception was fuzzy for the first two nights but it got sorted out.

I booked a single room (known as a Pod room), which was fine. The bed was good & firm,the room had lots of storage, wash basin, hairdryer and a slick plasma TV on the wall.

When i was there in Oct 2006, the lobby was being renovated, so there was no internet access in the lobby, only the reception and a coke machine. Actually, there wasn't much of a lobby where a visitor could sit & wait.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. In Europe, I would expect 4-star luxury for $150 per night - here in NYC, that "only" gets you a budget place like the Pickwick. The hotel was fine for my purposes and it had been recommended by a friend who had stayed there when he was in NY.

Unique Quality: Location is great - less than 10 mins walk from St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue. Kept spotlessly clean.

Would be nice if they had tea/coffee/kettle in the rooms - that is something even basic cheap European hotels and B&Bs have. It is a small touch that goes a long way.

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

A great hotel, at a GREAT price!

I was lucky enough to find "cheap" accomodation in NYC (compared to others I had already checked out, cause everything in NY is sooo expensive!) thanks to an old friend of mine who passed this tip on to me.... He lives there now and recently had some colleagues coming to NY for business, who were trying to find a decently priced place to stay... and I was totally HAPPY with the recommendation!

He gave me a web site different from the "official" hotel's website in order to book the room (http://pickwickarmsnewyork.com/), which is a Central Reservation Center that books the room for you and gives you special online rates... However, I checked both sites and it looks like both have the same rates, so you can use either one. I was lucky enough to get a single, semi-private bath room for only USD $89 a night + taxes (in fact if I had booked 1-2 weeks earlier the fee would have been USD $79 per night +tax but I booked very close to the check in date). They had an ever cheaper room, single occupancy w/shared bath (they're located in the corridor, but there's only the bathtub there, so I guess ALL the rooms have their toilet and sink as mine did), for USD $69 x night.

My room had a single bed and the shower & toilet were shared between 2 rooms. I never had a problem with my bathroom-neighbor, the system is pretty primitive but effective in order to guarantee your privacy both in the bathroom and in your room. There was hot water every time I needed it, not too much of it, but enough. The sink is right inside the room, quite handy. I can't say it's the most beautiful place I've ever stayed at, the carpet was a little stained and looked old (I personally don't care a damn about that!), but it was clean, the maid service was quite good and the view from the room... well, like from any other: just buildings! But it wasn't ugly, to be honest. I always like having a window, no matter that the sight isn't perfect.

In general, I was very pleased with my stay here and would definitely go back.

Unique Quality: Nice location in town, walking distance to many of the main attractions of the city and to 2 different metro stations if you need to go farther (green and blue lines)... it's pretty clean, not noisy (at least everything around the room I got was pretty quiet) and you have all you need for staying the night: the rooms are small as everywhere in NYC, but you have enough space for you and your stuff, cable TV, closet, a desk and it's climatised -- it was GREAT to have a warm room to sleep in during the winter. Reception and elevators are very nice too. For the price, it's highly recommendable....

Note: These fares are from 2005 so I'm sure they have changed ever since, check the hotel's website to see what the current rates are!

Directions: Very close to the 51st Street metro station, or to the Lexington/53rd Street station

• stuff66's Profile Photo

Manhattan's Budget Hotels

My stay was great but having to go down the hall and around the corner to shower or to use the restroom in a large city alone in not good for a single woman. The service was great and the area surrounding the hotels was friendly and stores are convinent open late.
    The rooms are small in size(twin beds,sick, tv, 1/4 closet,phone) Large people will not be comfortable and visitors have to visit in lobby no privacy.

Unique Quality: The consierge is very caring and helpful and the lobby has a computer access and payphone.

Directions: upper eastside....Manhattan

More about Pod Hotel

cheap hotel!

by g0ldteeth about The Pod Hotel

First of all, it is a very small room. But how much time are you going to spend in your room while in NY? Room was spotless, not a problem in it. Just enough room for the double bed, small desk, sink, nighttable, mini closet, and shower/toilet. Super hip and modern decor. All units have an ipod docking station, mini flat screen tv, and cold ac. The elevator was kind of slow, and there is no continental brkfst, but those are my only complaints. We paid $130 per night, and there are cheaper units without the personal bathroom. I recommend it! Rooftop garden!!!! It's a 14 story building in the upper east side, the views were rediculous.

Virtually the only cheap...

by DaveAL

Virtually the only cheap lodging in Manhattan are:
1.)the Pickwick Arms (E. 51st St.)
2.)Habitat (E. 57th St.)
$100/night at the Pickwick Arms for 1 person single with bath. Habitat is similarly priced. Both have tiny rooms, but face it, there in Manhattan and they are clean.

Pod Hotel Mid-town Manhattan

by samtin

Hi

Has anyone stayed at the Pod Hotel on E 51st St. If so can you tell me, from the photos online I could not tell if bed linen was provided, I assume so but it wasn't clear from the pictures.

Also, is it clean (especially shared bathrooms) and reasonably quiet (i.e. do you hear much from adjoining rooms)?

Many thanks

Sam

by jlynyc

I have not stayed there, but do walk by on my way to/from work everyday. The hotel looks very modern and clean. I believe it operates as a regular hotel (providing bed linens and towels), just smaller rooms and more basic accomodations. i believe the smallest rooms (bunk beds) are the ones with shared baths. it's a great location for the price. check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com - they seem favorable.

by dvdgrdnr

i was considering a stay there myself and the reviews i read on expedia.co.uk were all good, especially so for the price.
i can also personally recommend hotel 17, it was clean and comfortable and very cheap. just 3 mins walk from union sq and the subway.

by Waoife

I stayed there in November just gone for one night. The rooms are really small. The bathrooms are pretty clean although there can be pools of water on the floor.

They provide linen but only a single light blanket and bedspread. This wouldn't have been too much of an issue except for the fact that the heating wasn't working in my room (apparently it's centrally controlled on some floors including the one I was staying on!) and there was a huge gap around the air conditioning unit so I could see outside and was frozen from the draft :( Only solution they could provide was one measly extra blanket. Eventually got $25 off the room rate but that was only after much arguing.

Plus the walls are paper thin - I could hear everything going on in the room next door loud & clear plus people out on the corridor banging doors etc all night.

It is clean and I felt safe there but I wouldn't be in a rush to stay there again. I spent the other 4 nights in the Wolcott Hotel on 31 St just off 5th Ave (www.wolcott.com)which while not as smart has bigger and warmer rooms for the same price. Plus it was a lot quieter there. Also stayed in the Holiday Inn Express off 5th Ave two years ago just after it opened - would have stayed there again in November only the prices they were charging were crazy ($375 for a single room for one night!)

Comments