Ramada Plaza New Yorker

481 8th Avenue, 34th Street & 8th Avenue, New York City, New York, 10001, United States

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Wyndham.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• alycat's Profile Photo

The perfect base camp!

We got a good deal online and bought it at the last minute, like a day before we got to NYC from DC. Its a good hotel with relatively small rooms, which were clean and ours even had a view on the 29th floor.

If you are looking to get pampered or stay put in your room during your vacation, then this might not be the place for you. The TV has minimum channels for entertainment and there is not much you can do in the hotel to keep yourself entertained. For a pricey upscale hotel, it does not offer complimentary breakfast or parking, but then no one can offer free parking in NYC.

Unique Quality: It was a very practical hotel for a couple to stay with good basic facilities, clean laundry, covers, and curtains. It was close to the Penn station subway and a choice of eateries around. It has a 24-hour restaurant called Tik tok dinner, but we did not have breakfast or other meals at the hotel as we wanted to taste and explore the varied food choices available outside, and mind you there are many around.

We used the hotel to sleep and freshen up before the start of a day, and not to get entertained or complain about the wi-fi or limited entertainment options available. We will definitely stay here again if we want to hang around in the area in the future.

We checked out of the hotel at 11 am and our bus to DC was scheduled for 3 pm, and we could keep your luggage for safekeeping for $2 till we roamed around some more to pick it up later. It is jointly owned by Wyndham and Ramada, go figure!!!

• mariahc1's Profile Photo

a pleasant experience but not what we paid for

I don't mean to sound nasty because I don't want to. The New Yorker is a decent 4-star hotel, very clean, in a great location but..there are things people should know. First of all, it took them ages to answer our email before we went to NY concerning some requests we had. Moreover, all the receptionists seemed to be utterly busy to pay any notice to us so we had to ask for help twice. They would not smile either, I don't know if it is in their mentality, after all. There are 40 floors in the hotel and we stayed on the 36th floor which was great because we had a room with a view (The Empire State Building on one side and the Hudson River on the other). We asked for a room with a view and they gave it to us so that went well. However, the cleaning ladies kept making so much noise, especially at 7 o'clock in the morning! We repeatedly complained about it but nobody did anything. It was constant noise coming from the cleaning ladies. Morever, we stayed there for 16 nights (believe me, a 16-night accommodation in NY is very expensive) so the least they could do was to upgrade us to a suite, at least for one night!!! I know, they did not have to do it but we have stayed in many hotels around the world and that happened many times. We have noticed that, in general, decent hotel chains that want to keep the customer satisfied and that want to see the customer come back are in the habit of upgrading a room at least for one night. That is why we will not stay there when we visit New York next time. In general, the hotel was very nice and clean. I just wish they could smile more and definitely be more polite because it seems that generally rudeness in New York is abundant. All in all, we paid for more than we actually got.

Unique Quality: The view from the 36th floor was breathtaking!

• Great Hotel on perfect Location

This was my fist trip to New York for a business meeting with my client. I stay there for a 3 nights with my business partner. The hotel is on perfect location and this is the one thing I must see before book any hotel. The New Yorker hotel is located in Midtown Manhattan and very close to Macys, Empire State Building and New York City Amtrak. The hotel is only 10 Kilometers from New York Airport. In one words hotel is easily accessible from major part of the New York city.

I was in the 25 floor of New Yorker hotel with a great view of city. The room was well decorated and meet luxurious requirement. The hotel service was excellent especially the hotel staffs are very friendly and egger to help. The restaurants in hotel are another great asset and serve amazing food. Overall this was a very nice experience and everything ws fine there including pickup to departure. I recommended this hotel for their excellent services and must visit again. I had booked New Yorker hotel through http://www.southalltravel.co.uk/newoffer/usa/newyorker.aspx

Unique Quality: Services, Staff, Food, Room

• Suet's Profile Photo

Ramada New Yorker Hotel

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/66ac0/cd624/ this might help a bit, you can get the citypass which will cut down on expenditure and we found a hot dog stand with hot dogs for 75 cents. The Ramada New Yorker was the hotel we stayed in, please see the review. You can also show your passport at Macy's and get a discount card for shopping there. Have fun Michelle! Book online for the best deal.

• Great location, newly renovated

I have been staying at this hotel for the last 6 years as every November I go on an annual shopping trip to NYC. I have to say that in previous years the hotel was outdated and some rooms were quite grotty but a visit to reception meant they moved you straight away and we were then happy with the rooms we were moved to (often upgraded). Over the last couple of years they have been renovating the rooms and they are now really nice and modern. I have to say as well the deluxe rooms have space and are not crammed at all (I'm not sure if the Metro rooms are as spacious). The hotel is a great location and easy to walk back from Macy's after a long day out, laiden with shopping bags..hence why we return there year after year! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. Also Tip Top (restarant in the hotel) does a great breakfast to start the day off with and is open all hours so can always grab a cup of tea and they deliver to your room!

Unique Quality: Great views over the city if you have city view! Very central and great location.

Directions: Macy's area

• KaterinaJordan's Profile Photo

Nice location

Stayed in room 2712. It was a suite (one bedroom, one sitting room, 2 bathrooms and 3 closets).

Apart from the renovation it needs (it is in progress)it is a nice hotel, very big room and very clean.

Godd value for money as it is very centrally located

Advantage the Tic-Toc 24 hours restaurant in the lobby.

• bisous333's Profile Photo

Too small and expensive for what you get

The lobby looks grand and full of splendour, but when we got up to our floor, we weren't that impressed. Why you may ask? Well for one the carpets in the hallway looked like they had been there for donkeys years, they weren't clean and which kind of dashed our expectations of the the glamour and style of a hotel in the heart of Manhattan.

We were shocked to find an incredibly tiny room with very boring interior decor, brown and grey. I guessed that this place wasn't really for long stays and especially being New York, they figured that you'd spend more time out than in! The view from our window was of the hustle and bustle of airconditioners packed to the sides of tall office blocks all of the vicinity. No it wasn't what I would call a room with a view!

Unique Quality: The best thing about this hotel was it's location, you can walk around the city from here and I guess the neighbourhood isn't too bad for tourists strollign around after dark. There are plenty of diners and restaurants within a 20 minute walk if you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurants in the lobby area.

Directions: Time Square is just a 20 minute walk straight down 8th ave and into 42nd street. Macy's and Madison square gardens are in the vicinity. There is also a subway station right around the corner - 34th Street Penn Station.

• Fairly low priced hotel in Midtown Manhattan

The New Yorker Hotel offers rooms at a quite reasonable price compared to other hotels in Manhattan. We paid about $220.- a night, which was incl. tax and over the weekend. Of course you don't get a luxury hotel for that price. The rooms are rather small and old, but everything was clean and kept in order.
    In the hotel's lobby they advertise a major renovation. Probably prices will go up after the renovation work is done....

Unique Quality: What is special about the New Yorker is that all rooms are between the 19th and 40th floor, which means that you always get the view (even though the window may be rather small). We had a room on the 32nd and you can see the great view we had in the pic.
    Another plus is the location of the hotel. Being practically next to Penn Station, you can choose from several underground lines and get to any point in Manhattan in no time.

Directions: Very close to Penn Station

• Skanky place to stay

ugggghhh! The foyer was promising, but despite booking a double room for our first night in the states, the concierge insisted we could only have a twin as no doubles were available, did not have energy to argue as been up 24hrs. got lift to room, doors opened onto grubby corridor with badly fitting carpets. room equally as grubby and view of other hotel rooms not what I had in mind. only stayed one night, would never go there again. I wrote to complain, and they never even had the courtesy to reply.

Unique Quality: grubbiness

Directions: near Penn station and empire state building

• adinda's Profile Photo

Good location, small rooms

Good thing is the location. It's close to everything. The rooms are very small though, but as there is so much to do in New York, one isn't expected to stay in his hotelroom for long. The view is probably very nice if you have a room on the outside. All we coud see was a wall. But hey, who cares when you're in New York!

We never dined there, so I couldn't say anything about the food. Staff was friendly.

I have no idea about the price, as it was a package deal with flight and hotel.

Unique Quality: Location.

Directions: On the corner of 8th Avenue and 34th Street, right round the corner from Penn Station.

• Ignore Negative Reviews

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel in November 2006. After reading the reviews I was very worried to say the least but When we arrived I was really pleased with everything that I saw. Granted the room maybe could have done with a little updating but I was not in New York to stare at the bedroom wallpaper. The staff were extremely pleasant and polite and could not have done more to help us. The location of the hotel was perfect, when crossing the road outside the hotel the Empire State Building is directly in front of you and Macy's is just up the road.

I have to recommend the diner attached to the hotel also, serves beautiful food at very good prices.

Overall this hotel was excellent and just added to a fantastic holiday in the best city in the world.

• Cheap, Excellent Localtion Well worth a visit!

After booking our trip then reading reviews about this hotel i did have reservations about going, but once there they all dissapeared. I visited in September 2006 with my Boyfriend, the only thing that bothered us was the room was really small and as they were fully booked we couldnt change, but to be honest your in New York to shop and see the sights not sit in your hotel room 24 hours a day!

The room and the Bathroom where cleaned daily and the towels where changed every other day but if you saw the maids about they would change the towels whenever we asked.

Its in the best location i think to see everything as its basically in the middle of manhattan, ive stayed before near times square and had trouble sleeping because of the noise, Its literally 5 minutes to macy's, and the empire state building, its right across the street from penn station and madison square gardens, penn station is the main subway station which takes you all over New York so its easy to get to wherever you want on the island.

If you are going and landing in jfk i would say get the airbus as it drops you off right across the road from the hotel and only costs $15 instead of a cab you end up paying $50, then on the way back to the airport the hotel will offer you a private car to the airport to take you back in style, this costs $50 and its worth splashing out on this instead of wasting it on a cab as some drivers will rip you off as they know your a tourist.

Unique Quality: The most outstanding thing about this hotel is the location, its a short subway ride 9around 10 minutes) to the world trade centre on the E train, and also century 21 is right across the street of the WTC.

Theres a laundry room, gym centre downstairs in the hotel and a little diner next door, which is really good value, its 10 minutes left to times square and 5 minutes to the bus station to catch the bus to woodbury common.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Midtown Manhattan hotel

It`s an old hotel, but the location is pretty good - next to the Empire State building, Macy`s shopping mall and Madison Square Gardens.

The room is small, furniture old, the bathroom sink is weird.., but who cares - so much to see once you are out.

The lobby is quite interesting, nice chandeliers and ceilings. There is a cafe and a bar and no seating area downstairs though.

Housekeepers come pretty early, probably perhaps this hotel is used mostly by businessmen who are up and out by 9am.

AC shuts down automatically, if there is no movement in the room. So, every now and then you`ll have to move to put it back on. :-)

P`S` Next to a hotel (on the corner of 8th and 34th street) is a vendor cart with fried meat on a stick. Do NOT buy it from there - it`s not good really (tasteless).
    If you want to buy a better one, go left when exit the hotel and keep going until you end up on the corner of W 40th and 8th avenue (next to the bus station). The food from that vendor is much better.

Directions: On the corner of 34th Str and 8th avenue.

• aussiecouple's Profile Photo

Convenient and safe

My daughter and I stayed here for 6 nights in October/November 2005. We had a Queen Tower suite and the two bathrooms turned out to be a great idea for 2 women getting ready at the same time. My daughter had the bed and I slept on the sofa bed in the living room which was comfortable. Security was good, as after 6 pm at night we had to show our room keys to gain access to the lift area. Although there is nowhere to sit in the lobby we sat at the tables in the lobby shop while awaiting our taxi and nobody seemed to mind. The location is perfect - across the street from Penn Station with access to airports (JFK and Newark) and also for our day trip to Washington. There is a small charge for storing bags after checkout (this is not something we encounter in Australia). The business centre in the basement provided internet access. I can recommend the drugstore across the road for cheap meals and people watching.

Unique Quality: Location, location

• moll12's Profile Photo

I LOVE THE NEW YORKER

I CANT UNDERSTAND THE BAD REVIEWS ON THIS HOTEL, IVE STAYED TWICE AND THIS HOTEL IS FAB! THE HISTORY ATTACHED TO IT IS AMAZING, MOHAMMAD ALI STAYED HERE AFTER A DEFEAT AND LOCKED HIMSELF IN FOR 5 DAYS! CHARLIE PARKER PLAYED THERE, I THINK ANY BAD REVIEWS WOULD BE FROM PEOPLE WHO STAYED ON LOWER FLOORS, YOU MUST BOOK A HIGH FLOOR THE VIEWS ARE AMAZING! MY ROOM BOTH TIMES WERE NEITHER DINGY OR SMALL! THE DINER IN THE LOBBY IS SO HANDY AND THE LOCATION CANT BE BEATEN!

Unique Quality: THE LOBBY IS FANTASTIC, THE ART DECO AND THE REAL FEEL OF NEW YORK IS EVERYWHERE!!!

Directions: 8TH AVE AND 34 TH STREET

More about Ramada Plaza New Yorker

View from room 2852 New Yorker HotelView from room 2852 New Yorker Hotel

The New Yorker (Ramada Inn)The New Yorker (Ramada Inn)

New Yorker's cabNew Yorker's cab

Typical New Yorker DinersTypical New Yorker Diners

Ramada New Yorker Hotel

by PineappleCHunKS

Has anyone stayed in the Ramada New Yorker?

I foolishly booked 5 nights there before I discovered Trip Advisor!

I'm not expecting anything grand - clean, safe and somewhere to sleep and shower is enough for me as don't plan on spending much time in there!

Trip Advisor's giving me nightmares though! :)

Any feedback appreciated.

Jen

Re: Ramada New Yorker Hotel

by cjg1

hi.
i dont have any experience with this hotel.
but i have found tripadvisor to be pretty much full of negative people. several hotels i have stayed in this year were trashed by it. maybe there are better hotels out there. but for the money i pay i am happy or thrilled with the places that ta trashes.

good luck with the search

Re: Re: Ramada New Yorker Hotel

by 10028

I find tripadvisor.com to be very reliable. I disregard the very best and very worst reviews because I cynically believe they're written by the owners and their competitors. Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

The good news is that it's incredibly easy to get around Manhattan, so as long as you have a clean place to sleep, don't worry. Hopefully you won't be spending too much time in your hotel, anyway.

Re: Ramada New Yorker Hotel

by KarenTaylor

I stayed there a few years ago, and unless it's changed drastically, the comments on tripadvisor would seem to be appropriate. I personally would not stay there again.

Comments