Residence Inn By Marriott Manhattan Times Square

Hotels.com ResidenceInn.com Expedia.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Good option for families

Hotels were very expensive for my time period between Christmas and New Year's and I had Avios points I can never seem to use for flights so I used them to book the Residence Inn Times Square. It's a very large hotel not too far from Times Square but not directly on it so you have the benefit of being close but not bombarded by noise.

A breakfast buffet was included in the price and it was very good, hot items like eggs, breakfast meat, pancakes, waffles and oatmeal and cold items-fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins. Juice, coffee, tea, soda also included. The breakfast cut off exactly at 10am, they actually roped it off, it's possible it's just because of the volume of people that week, there was always a line and it was a little difficult to get a seat.

Check in wasn't available until 3pm so we stored our luggage until check in time. The staff was pleasant and the process efficient. The hotel had free wifi throughout and in the lobby there was a printer for printing boarding passes.

Unique Quality: The room was quite large, since it's a residence type hotel, there is a kitchen with a microwave, dishwasher, larger refrigerator, crockpot, sink and dishes. We didn't need a kitchen so we didn't use it but it could come in handy for families who might want to eat lunch or dinner in on their visit.

We booked a room with two double beds, there was also a small dining table but no sofa.

Bathroom toiletries were less than I thought they'd be at a Marriott, shampoo, conditioner and bar soap.

The Bryant Park subway stop was just a block away, Penn Station was close enough to walk with a wheeled suitcase. We were also close enough to walk to Grand Central Station where we picked up different subway lines. The Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center were within easy walking distance, even in the cold.

Directions: corner of 39th and 6th (Avenue of the Americas). Bryant Park subway stop one block away

• xymmot's Profile Photo

Great family suites

Here's a tip I saved for myself, but anyway residence Inn is the place to stay and reccommended by others.:::::...

..thanks a lot, I looke it up and made a copy paste of reccomendation for the place I like to keep The Residence Inn was selected by using the Mariott website. Everything about it was first rate, even though the cost of the rooms was not as high priced as other Mariott hotels in New York. Location was excellent- close to Times Square, Bryant Part and the subway. We could walk north to Rockefeller Center or south to Herald Square (Macys and the Empire State Building. The rooms were suites with full kitchens. The beds were very comfortable and everything was very clean. When we checked in we were told that each evening (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) there would be light fare served from 6:00 to 7:30. This turned out to be supper (spaghetti one night, soup and salad the next, and chicken, rice and salad the third night. This saved us much money. Each morning a hot buffet breakfast was served . The staff was very gracious and extremely helpful at all times. Since check out time was 11:00 am and our transportation wasn't due to pick us up until 12:30, we asked for a late check out. It was granted for all of our three rooms (which had been put together on the same floor.. This gave us an extra full morning in New York. We would not even look for another hotel if we go back to New York as I would definitely stay at the Residence Inn. cheers tommy x

Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/ptg/vf/1b733/3/34b108/#3453192#ixzz1I5a3qE8U

cheers Tommy x

Unique Quality: location, location, location nice facilities for the family and special free dinner nights also

• meredithcornwall's Profile Photo

The Best Bed Ever

A really beautiful hotel located in a pretty central location. Fantastic rooms with full size refrigerator, dishwasher, flat screen TV, spacious bathroom, and the best bed I have ever slept in. Room was exceptionally clean, and the hotel staff were extremely helpful. Security is good - a room key is required to go up to guest floors. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and filling. Hotel bar is very nice, and there is also evening snacks and drinks available to guests. An excellent place to stay.

Unique Quality: Fantastic bed, central location, free breakfast buffet.

Directions: Near Times Square and the Fashion District.

More about Residence Inn By Marriott Manhattan Times Square

Would stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member BrownEyeGirl

Our first trip to NYC and after reading several reviews here on this site, settled with this hotel because of the kitchenette and free breakfast which we used daily. Although rooms were small, I understand that's the norm in NYC although our family of four didn't feel too cramped. Hotel staff were extremely friendly. It also had 24 hour hotel security. Hotel is not in the middle of Times Square but close enough - a block or two away. After going through Times Square, we were happy to return to our hotel where things were much quieter.

Four elevators are on the slow side and small for a hotel with 35 floors. Breakfast was especially busy but plentiful. I understand there's dinner too M-Thu. Kitchenette has an apt. size fridge, dishwasher, plenty of table items and a sink. My kids were able to eat their cereal when they wanted and we stored our water bottles in the cold fridge during the day. We didn't use the 'gym' but used the internet connectiviy in our room every night. They also had a pc and printer available near the concierge's desk for our use.

Only bad thing was the fire alarm that went off just after midnight. This false alarm also happened to us at another hotel in California so we were 'prepared' and didn't react too quickly. Staff came on the intercomm shortly thereafter asking us to standby for further instructions and did apologize the next morning.

We would definately stay at this hotel again. I was impressed that it was non-smoking, in a great location, had a kitchenette and provided daily meals.

Works for me

by TripAdvisor Member MR_PHL

The Residence Inn Time Square is an excellent addition to the area. In the past I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis and the Courtyard Times Square. This place is cheaper and quieter than the Marquis and is on par pricewise with the Courtyard. Of course you get the complimentary breakfast buffet which is customary for Residence Inn.

The location is good, you are a couple of blocks away from the subway and not too far from everything in Times Square.

The rooms are spacious with a flat panel TV (although sound and picture quality was questionable on mine). The bed was not huge, but very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

I have stayed in a number of Reisdence Inns when I travel for business and enjoy the evening happy hour. The Happy hour here was ok. There is plenty of room in the dining area. The only thing I noticed was that beer wasn't included as it is at many of the RI's I have stayed in. If that's important to you, then I suppose its a bad thing.

The rate was $269, which is alright for New York. But its a good hotel and worth the money.

Perfect; a great value

by TripAdvisor Member ray210

I lived in Manhattan for 3 years, attending law school at NYU, and I booked a room at this hotel, post-law school, to take the February 2006 bar exam at the Javitts Center. At first, the main thing that attracted me to the hotel online at Marriott's website was that it was new, having opened in December 2005, I believe. I was extremely happy with the accomodations and everyone from the front desk to security to housekeeping was really friendly and helpful. The decor is beautiful (modern but warm). They serve breakfast and what they call "light fare" in the evenings, but actually the light fare is all-you-can-eat, of relatively high quality (better than what you could get at area bodegas), and I ended up just having dinner there, which saved me lots of money. The hotel is located sqaurely in the Fashion District, and taxis are numerous. I just wish they'd opened a convenience store on the ground floor so that I'd never have to leave other than to take the exam, though there are plenty of delis etc. nearby.

wonderful service!

by TripAdvisor Member nookielu

The best part about this very nice hotel in our opinion was the service. Everyone we bumped into was amazingly friendly and courteous. Everyone who worked in the lobby knew our children by name and our 3 year old was calling them all her friends by our 2nd day (indeed they were probably nicer to her than any of our own friends, which says a lot). We asked for a veiw and were given a room on the 28th floor with a view of the Empire State Building which our daughter enjoyed immensely. Beds were of course comfortable Marriott beds. Room was clean and comfortable. Equipped with coffee and free wifi and a plasma screen TV. Bathroom was very clean. Newpaper service in the morning. Just 3 blocks to Times Square! The only thing lacking was a pool, but this is NY.

Would definitely stay here again.

No complaints at all - excellent property

by TripAdvisor Member Ryan.W

This is one of the few hotels that I have stayed in where I have never had a sinlge complaint. Even if I were pressed for a criticism of this hotel, I could not list even one. The location is perfect, the check-in was friendly and efficent, the room well-appointed and impeccably clean, the elevators always worked well and with little waiting, all staff members greeted you and even engaged in conversation, and the complimentary breakfast buffet and afternoon snack was a great treat. More importantly the noticeable security at all times was a tremndous reassurance that you were safe. Of the affordable hotels in NYC (under $300.00) this is the best I have ever stayed at, and will definitely stay there again.

Great People, Great Bed, and Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Excelsor

This hotel is in a fantastic location in Manhattan. Everyone from the security guard to the hotel manager was friendly and extremely helpful. The breakfast was great and the bed was awesome.

Phenomenal job, Marriott!

Excellent Stay and Value

Stayed May 6th - 9th at Residence Inn close to Time’s Square. Lobby was not too exciting but staff is very friendly and corresponding service was excellent. Rooms well set up with kitchens, great beds and very clean. The hotel serves a hot breakfast buffet every day that could meet and please anyone's needs. Location is very accessible to upper and lower Manhattan and theater district. Front desk excellent in their service, maid service available and they magically come like elves while you are out if requested. No waits for service. Concierge very helpful, patient and knowledgeable of New York. Few street noises and the windows open for fresh air. Linens are fine, beds are excellent with feather pillows if requested and plenty of towels. Bathrooms are on the smaller side and products are ok but room and sitting area more than compensate. Hot water was always present and for the money it is a safe and clean oasis in New York City.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member NuSkin

We just returned from a trip to Manhattan, NY. This hotel just opened in January, so everything is still very new and very nice. The rooms are not really big, but they are very comfortable and very well thought out. They are a little pricey, but by Manhattan standards probably average. Where else in NY can you get a free breakfast? Great, comfortable beds, nice showers. A kitchen! Full fridge, nice microwave and dishwasher; fully loaded with all needed utensils. Even a toaster. You can have a cook top brought in and pots and pans are in each room. Higher floors have great view; takes a little longer to get an elevator, but when it comes it is empty, which is nice. The staff are extremely nice and helpful. All in all, the best place we have ever stayed in NY. Great location at MidTown. Close to Time Square without having it right outside your door. Jack's restaurant right around the corner, and a great place to eat. We highly recommend this Residence Inn!

fabulous marriot

My wife and I just returned from the City, the Residence Inn Time Square was fabuolus right from the minute we arrived until we left, we even had to stay an extra night due to bad weather. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were very comfortable, great having a fridge and micrwave and sitting area. We had a great view of the Empire state building on the 8th floor. There is a great market 20 steps outside the front door, grab some beer and wine and snacks and you are good to go. Did I mention hot buffet breakfast every morning and from Monday to Thursday happy hour on the third floor lounge(the entire third floor) from 5-7pm we had Lasagna and Ceasar Salad one evening all included in the price. Did I mention that yes I was in New York City getting all these extras included in one price. Thank You Marriot, my wife and I have travelled everywhere who in the world rated this hotel only 3-stars this is the only Hotel in 20 years of marriage that my wife has taken her shoes off in a Hotel room. The front Lobby is small that must be the reason it is only a three star Hotel.

Christmas Eve/Day Church services

by SandiM

My mother and I will be staying at the Courtyard Marriott Times Square South for Christmas. We want to check out a church 'with plenty of atmosphere' near our hotel for Christmas Eve or Day. Any suggestions on a must-see church near our hotel? Something with cool displays or service? My mom is a Presbyterian minister however any denomination will do, she says (she's hip to all sorts--it's the ambience that counts!). Happy Holidays!

Re: Christmas Eve/Day Church services

by denvillegirl

There is always St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue and 51st across from Rockefeller Center. They will have masses galore. (I am a United Methodist pastor and have worshipped at St. Pat's on occasion). Going a little further afield, Marble Collegiate (Reformed) has plenty of atmosphere, too. It is on 5th Avenue at 29th Street.

Re: Christmas Eve/Day Church services

by SandiM

thank you! That's very helpful! I like the look of St Patrick's as well. Merry Christmas!

Comments