Riverside Tower Hotel

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

• SuzanBengtsson's Profile Photo

Cheapest Stay

From outside, you would have thought you will be stepping into one of those "victorian mini palaces".

Once you are in, it is a cheap and no frill kind of accomodation. Decent heating system during those cold cold night. Clean toilets (most important!!!).

Unique Quality: Walking distance to central parks. 2 minutes walk to the 96th street metro station. A good 45 minutes walk to central square, walking along the broadway. passing greats cafes (serving cheap and huge breakfast) and hog dog stands. Lots of supermarket nearby...

They have great weekly and monthly rates

Directions: Upper Manhattan

More about Riverside Tower Hotel

I can't get the images out of my head, HELP!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jeff357

If a bum would have offered me his cardboard box to stay in instead of this "hotel", I would have gladly accepted. The box would have offered amenities fit for a king compared to this landfill. This place is a joke!!!! The room (a.k.a. closet which is referred to as a suite) was a disgrace. There had been 1.3 million coats of paint applied to the walls and the carpet use to be red but was so stained you couldn't tell what color it was. We ended up taking all the bedding off the beds and putting it on the floor so we could walk around without being infected. If you plan on sleeping any during your vacation, you can drift off to the soothing sounds of loud, rattling plumbing beating into your head as the sandman whisks you away to Neverland. You will be joined by the multitude of multi-genus species of insects that take up refuge in your "Suite". To add to the fun, any child with a butter knife can easily disengage the high-tech, door knob lock. So, in conclusion, if you want to get the full experience of crack house living come on down to the riverside tower, they won't take care of you.

Great Deal for the Money!!!

by TripAdvisor Member RITravelingMama

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. I originally booked a single room, but a friend decided to travel with me so we upgraded to a suite for $10.00 more--still only $99.00 per night. I read the other reviews and was nervous, but hopeful that our experience would be better. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the suite...two rooms connected by bathroom was perfect for two people. We each had our own TV and could get some privacy while getting ready to go out. The room was clean and there were no signs of any bugs as some other reviews had mentioned. The room doors do not have a deadbolt and that could leave some people nervous. I would suggest packing a few extra towels and facecloths as they only provided us with one bath towel and one hand towel each. I did ask for an extra towel at the desk and did receive it though. Another perk for the price is the parking. I left my car parked on Riverside Drive from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning with no problems and no parking bill to pay. For the price of what you would pay for one night without parking at a mid-town hotel we got two nights at the Riverside Tower. Not a bad deal. It's right on the Broadway subway line (3 blocks) so you can easily get anywhere in mid-town or lower Manhattan without too much difficulty. I will stay there again!

riverside experience

i stayed at the riverside hotel in march 2003 the staff were very helpful especially the night supervisor (nice taste in jazz music). the staff knew where to send a visitor like me, were knowledgeable about how to get about. helped me find a nice pint of guineess within 2 blocks knew where i could chill in the evening and advised me about the safety aspect to a new boy in town.
the room was small but then i was only sleeping in it. the prev listing regarding roaches and such did not happen on the 15th floor and small elevators make for new friends very quickly

Great Lady working at the Reception

My friend and I stayed at the Riverside for six nites from Sept 9. We had a suite, which was great for us, as my friend is a guy. When I first walked into the room I did see a cockroach and managed to kill that, after that I only saw one other, my friend said he saw more, but it didn't bother us too much. The place was cleaned every day and we had plenty of clean towels and washcloths. No-one ever bothered us and the place is really quiet, not a sound could be heard. It's very near to Broadway just two blocks and the subways as well, we didn't spend much time there and for the price it really was okay. The staff were all really helpful and nice and would chat and have a joke with you. It's pretty central for everything and I never had any problems walking around the neighborhood on my own. It's actually on a really nice street. The lady who works on the reception in the evenings during the week is super nice and I wished I had got to say goodbye to her, so if you read this - thanks for your beaming smile and thanks for being so helpful and pleasant.

Disgusting Dump-Don't Be Fooled!

Dreadful experience that nearly ruined our NY vacation. From dirty bedding to scary showers this pitiful excuse for a "hotel" is nothing more than a run down dormitory possibly from 1910 and never having been updated with the exception of decades of "dust cover" paint. The occasionally tolerant staff and semi-convenient two block walk to the subway certainly doesn't negate or outweigh the putrid smelling tiny shoebox room, noisy plumbing and ventilation systems that keep you up all night, grungy stained red carpets, questionable bath accommodations, barely there door locks, college-sized twin fit for (1) anorexic girl, a large toddler or possible two infants lying end to end, the fact that the "luxury" suite offers you and your spouse the romantic amenity of sleeping in miniature separate beds in miniature separate rooms, a "vanity" area represented by a medicine cabinet affixed to the wall and a tiny little wash bin, one smoky towel per person irregardless of your stay duration and most importantly the convenient shower while you pee option the bathroom area affords as the shower stall and commode are a mere 10 inches apart. All-in-all the great "value" other reviewers speak of would only exist if you're trip objective was to spend your entire getaway apart from your co-traveler, searching for a medley bugs in your microscopic separate rooms, while looking over your shoulder at the paper thin door, held secure possibly by a toothpick lock, that could be knocked in at any moment and all 1 of your towels taken and used to finish off the smoke signals they started before folded and offered to you!

It was great for the price!

What would you expect in a hotel NYC on the Upper West Side for $82? This surpassed expectations. The room was very small but clean. I had a view of Riverside Drive and the park - very nice. Everything worked including the TV, microwave and frig - which were an added bonus! I didn't see one bug. The linen was clean. The room was clean. The front desk staff was cordial and helpful. The elevator worked. I was pleased and would return again. The neighborhood, btw, is upscale and very safe and I felt very comfortable walking a couple of blocks to the bagel shop after dark.

Enjoyed

We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights. Didn't expect it to be so small, but all we did there was sleep. We had a suite, so one room held all our stuff. Near transportation and Zabars, what more could you ask. People who worked there were very nice and helpful. We are already planning our next trip. Also met some interesting folks from other countries.

All Riversire 'Suites'

The first tip should have been the "we'll be right back" sign in the hotel enrty-way (I dare not call it a lobby, it was more like a homeless shelter check-in area)'. However, the desk clerk did return in about 5 minutes and was very kind and even apologetic (I think he's used to very unsatified customers). He escorted us down a spray-painted hallway, past a few passed-out residents without teeth or a home, to get to our $100.00 "all-suite" room. It was disgusting and pathetically facinating at the same time; to see the regular residents of this "abode" made you really appreciate what kind of home, bed and family you have. We stayed in the "room" (read: closet w/ faucet) as little as possible, only going there to change clothes and run back out to the city. It will make you appreciate your life-style (no matter how bad you think you've got it, it aint this bad!), but don't stay for more than 1 night, or you will be truly depressed. Good walking location to Central Park, friendly staff, lonely residents.

Third World accommodations in the heart of NYC!!!

A nightmare from the desk clerk who tried to cheat me to the disgusting cigar-reeking hallways to the creepy, slimy showers. I'm a savvy traveler, and should have known better when they demanded full payment for all nights before I ever went to the room. When I got to my room, the residue and stench of pesticide was so strong that my eyes were burning before I could set down my suitcase. The sheets were clean but nothing else was. Did I mention the graffiti on the wall in my room? It read "Dump" - such an elegantly simple description of this truly horrific hotel.

Can you please give me some feedback on the Riverside Tower hotel in New York

by michelle1972

Hi there,

I am planning to book three nights (from 24/12 to 27/12)in the Riverside Tower Hotel.

Can you please help me on the followings questions:

1. Is it OK? We are not looking for something superb, somewhere to sleep overnight, clean and close to station.
2. Is the area safe?
3. How close is it to the nearest station/subway?
4. How long does the train take to get to the Marcy shopping center?

Thank you to all input and helps.
Cheers,
Michelle

RE: Can you please give me some feedback on the Riverside Tower hotel in New York

by 10028

It doesn't get very good reviews:

The neighborhood is fantastic, however. The hotel is just a couple of blocks from the subway. The #2 or #3 downtown lines run express, and you'd be in Macy's (I think that's what you meant by Marcy?) in 10-15 minutes.

You might also look at the Newton Hotel. It's about a mile up Broadway, still a great neighborhood and convenient to the subway.

by KarenTaylor

I read recently on a forum where someone was staying there and was so disappointed he left and moved into another hotel it was that bad. The location is great however.

Comments