Room in Soho Loft

Trinity ChurchTrinity Church

the tollthe toll

in planein plane

Columbia Univ. Memorial PlaqueColumbia Univ. Memorial Plaque

how to get from the city to cape liberty cruise port

by timba

Hi All, can anyone tell me what would be the least expensive way to get from New York City to Bayonne Ocean Terminal or "Cape Liberty Cruise Port".
My wife and I are spending a week touring around the city before going on a cruise. I'm hopeing we wont have to take a cab all that way.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Safe Travels, Greg

by 10028

Here's the transportation information page from their web site:

Scroll down to the bottom, where you'll see Public Transport options.

by timba

thanks for the response. I actually looked at that site and that's what prompted me to ask on VT what would be the easiest/least expensive. It seems like maybe the taxi for about $60.00 may be it. Unless somewone has a better idea for us.
Would anyone know if we took one of the ferrys across and then called a cab if that would be any cheaper. Also, what ferry would be the best one if we did do this.

Thanks again

by dino335

Did you look at the public transport options on the website?

The PATH/BergenHudson Light Rail/Bayonne Cab is not going to cost anywhere near $60. PATH/LIGHT RAIL IS $4.10. The cab must be around $10

The bus/bayonne cab is going to cost the same or less.

by timessquare

The least expensive is certainly PATH/HB LightRail/Bayonne cab.

That's if you truly want to hassle with all of that with luggage.

Never ask for cheapest and unless you are willing to put up with it.

by nyceagle1633

PATH (Newport Pavonia) TO LIGHT RAIL. But how heavy are your bags?

by timba

Thanks, this is just the information I was looking for. My wife and I travel with one overhead compartment bag and one carry on. So baggage is not an issue.

I'm not even sure this cruise thing is what we really want to do but the price was unbelievable. Thanks again

by nyceagle1633

what was the price????

$299 to Burmuda-St Thomas-ending in San Juan, PR 6 nights

by timba

dino335, If it's not too much of a hasslel can you tell me where to take the PATH from the Upper East Side (that's where we're staying) and where to transfer.

by dino335

The PATH terminates at 33rd st and Sixth Ave. Fron UES Either take B/D line to 34th ST, and follow signs to PATH or take 1,2,3 line to 34th and walk one block east to sixth avenue and one bock south to 33rd

Subway map here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

PATH Map here: http://newyorkcity2005.web.infoseek.co.jp/information/maps/njtransit_map05.html

thanks Dino, I really appreciate the information

Travel Tips for New York City

local virtual phone number

by nestormanya

Ladies and Gents!

I have been searching for info about a company called www.jetnumbers.com Does anyone have any info that they can throw at me?

It seems that the service is: "Get a local phone number in one of the listed below countries and redirect it to any phone number in the world. The calls will be charged at local rate for the callers regardless of whether they are calling from landline or mobile phones."

The reason that I mention them is because they are the only ones that have a free trial.

Can someone please hit me up with any kind of info?!?!

Thanks a ton

-NĂ©stor

Great for walks

by mafootje

To see New York City...

was always a dream for me. Feel the power of a city that really never sleeps. Offcourse we wanted to see the big landmarks like the Empire State building , Twin towers and the chrysler building.

The first year we went to the US we only drove through it with Niki's Niece and stopped for a visit to the Empire Stat building.

When we went there all by ourself the next year the town gave me some fear, this faded away quickly but the feeling of being small stayed. Walking through this city in our own pace, take the Subway and walk through Battery Park.

Maybe it was different at that time, but the Twin towers have gotten a special place in our hearts.

Picture taken June 1998

get high in Manhattan!
and get...

by irisbe

get high in Manhattan!
and get onto that Empire State Building!
(I have been on the Twin Towers as well... but that is left to history and memory after 11th of September.
So that was one advice I had to delete sadly enough)
I hope NYC will recover from this disaster.

More pictures are in my travelogues You have a marvelous panoramic view over the city.
It is fun trying to spot the location of the hotel, or the places you have been too.

I think one of the best thing...

by utttz

I think one of the best thing one can do while in NY is to do all those 'touristic must' I usually avoid. I mean climb up the empire, the statue of liberty.... and don't forget ellis island. when I visited it the museum was newly open. really interesting! Last time I was in NY was not a good period... Manhattan was full of homeless, most of them not by choice or thru any fault of their own... most had been fired because of the crisis. .... In that world of disperation I saw some genius.... I didn't take any pics out of respect, but I still remember the king of genius: It was very cold and he was on a corner of the fifth ave, near central park, covered with newspaper and every kind of stuff you can imagine... You could only see his eyes. his eyes and a sign:

Museum of the fifth avenue

'the homeless'

contribution for restoration welcome

IMAGINE

by lynnehamman

Finding one's way around New York is really very easy. The city is laid out in a grid-plan, so it is difficult to 'get lost'
Distance-, = about 20 avenues (north-south) or 10 street blocks (east-west) are equal to 1 mile. This rule does not apply, however, to parts of Greenwich and all of lower Manhattan. The layout of streets in these areas is different, and could become confusing. It is however not the worst thing to get 'lost' in New York.. We did, a few times on our first visit, but did not mind at all. We walked for miles every day. There is so much to see,and so much happening.The vibrancy of the city is palpable.
Upper Manhatten is where the Dakota is situated-being the wonderful old Gothic building where John Lennon lived when he was murdered. We went there, to the spot ( another 'pilgramage') and I felt very emotional. At Strawberry fields, in Central Park, we gazed down at the Memorial Plaque that has been laid in memory of John Lennon. We sat on a bench, and watched the joggers. There were very many,and each and every one of them avoided stepping on this memorial plaque. The plaque had flowers laid upon it, and we placed a flower too. It says simply: 'IMAGINE'

Comments