150 East 50th Street, New York City, New York, 10022, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about San Carlos Hotel

Great Hotel in NYC, San Carlos Hotel

After extensive searching on the internet, I found the perfect hotel for my first trip to NYC. The San Carlos Hotel is located in a great location, within walking distance to the theatre district, Times Square, Central Park and the Empire State Building. The staff is very accomodating and friendly and the rooms are nicely appointed. The sheets on the bed were very soft and welcoming after a long day. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but so many great choices within walking distance. The only things that would make the hotel better is if the it had a city view and if the continental breakfast were improved with more variety (got there at 9:00 and they were out of bread) but the comfort and coziniess of the room made up for those shortcomings. When I booked, I found the best price on the hotel's own website. However, if I would have booked a week or two earlier I could have gotten the room for $178 on orbitz.

Loved the San Carlos

by TripAdvisor Member fwr

We stayed Saturday night at the San Carlos in order to visit my daughter living in NYC. The entire hotel recently unwent a total renovation and it has all been done in impeccable taste and very high quality. It is a moderately-sized hotel (18 floors) but has a pleasingly intimate feel. All the employees are very nice and the lobby and rooms are extremely comfortable. The location was perfect for us but the only drawback is that the hotel does not have a kitchen. Room service involves neighborhood restaurants. The complimentary breakfast on the first floor is very basic (and disappointing) with coffee, pastries, juice and yogurt. It is not in alignment with the sophistication that the hotel otherwise exhibits, it being a part of the worldwide Summit Hotel chain. The space where the restaurant is intended to be is awaiting a tennant to operate it. We would happily stay again, but we can't call it a full-service hotel.

Another Satisfied Guest

by TripAdvisor Member Bermerican

Dear Readers,

I had a wonderful time at this hotel in March 2004. It was my first time to NYC and the concierge was absolutly wonderful. They would actually draw my path on the map, reccomend all the palce close by to shop etc. They went above and beyond the call of duty. As for breakfast it was fine as well. They do specify that is continental, not buffet. (In response to one of the other reviewers) Location is great as well. 10 min walk from TS.
I will definetly stay here next time I am in NYC

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member hmbfox

A friend and I stayed at the San Carlos for four days this summer. The room and puiblic areas are beautifully appointed. Our room had a microwave and small refridgerator which was a real plus. The staff was unfailingly polite, helpful and available. The desk arranged for a car to take us to the airport. The location was excellent - we were be able to walk to and from Broadway as well as all over Manhatten. I look forward to staying there again.

a great hotel in NYC

This hotel greatly exceeded expectations. It underwent a renovation and wow, it looks wonderful. The location was great, the staff was great, and the rooms were great. I can not imagine anyone not being completely satisfied with the San Carlos. I lived and worked in NYC a year ago, and miss the city tremendously. I will definitely return to San Carlos for my next visit to NYC. Thank you for such a wonderful stay.

Paper cup, plastic forks, knives and plates in breakfast

The hotel has no cooker, no dishwasher, no drinks in stock... Consequence :
- Simple continental breakfast (no eggs, no cold meat, ...)
- Plastic cups, knives, forks, plates, ...
- Like a Fast Food restaurant, once you had finished your breakfast, you had to clean your table yourself, and throw all the rubish and plastic place settings away in the two big dustbins that were placed nearby the basket of bread.
- If you have drunk the bottle of water in your minibar, and want another bottle, you have to wait for the next day, because they have no provisions at the hotel.

Amazing hotel

The San Carlos is an amazing hotel. The price is so reasonable for midtown and the room was gorgeous. It was so roomy and really well taken care of. The staff was very helpful, and the doorman even helped us get a deal on a limo to take us to little italy. Highly recommended!

Great room friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Marpleboy

Stayed here over Easter with the family and really enjoyed our stay. Rooms well equiped and large, staff friendly and location very convenient.
Although the reception does not appear to grand and the breakfast is very basic.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member FKH

We chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor feedback. Pro's - separate fridge, microwave & crockery for eating in. Complemantary NYT & USA Today. Very friendly staff. Con's - small room for a quad (we were 2 adults 7 2 children). We got room with no view, but was quiet.

Great hotel

Just returned from a business trip that included a week at the San Carlos in NYC. The hotel is well located, the staff extremely friendly, and the rooms very large by NY standards. The microwave, fridge, and coffee maker are all appreciated additions. The price was right and the accommodations excellent. One suggestion however, check to see if the U.N. is in session during your stay. If so, security in and around the hotel is very tight and the surrounding streets can be closed resulting in difficulty getting a cab in or out of midtown East.

skatingskating

wowwow

Manhattan Skyline from Liberty Island (10.11.08)Manhattan Skyline from Liberty Island (10.11.08)

sculpture at Battery Parksculpture at Battery Park

Looking for a Hotel Under $100

by abidomar

Hi, I have to goto NYC for one week by the end of october. I'm looking for a 2 star reasonable accomodation, willing to stay upto 30 mins subway/metra distance from downtown. I'm not quite familiar with the area, all I know is I'll have to goto broadway street everyday. Any suggesstions where I should stay? a place from where it'll be easier to commute to downtown everyday. I'll really appreciate a response.

by Easty

It sounds like you want to stay in Midtown Manhattan. Hotels that are under $100 a night are a rare find in Midtown. The low end hotels range around $150 a night. I know some hotels like the Milford Plaza and the Hotel New Yorker offer specials. You would probably find the best deals on the web at sites like hotels.com, travelocity, etc.

by YVRDave

The Pioneer of Soho is 79.99
Mini Suites at 9 Minetta St is 79.99
Riverside Student hotel is 50.00

by abidomar

thanks alot for the reply, any idea where I can find the phone numbers of these hotels ?

by nyc10025

There is a Quality Hotel on 94 Street and Broadway that is around $100 a night or less. The subway stop is right there and it takes ten minutes to midtown. Address is 215 W 94 Street New York, NY 10025, telephone 212 866-6400. If you decide on it contact me. I know the area very well for restaurants etc.

by YVRDave

You can call a travel agent or google them.

by nyc10025

See website:

by joesorce

www.portlandsquarehotel.com

by AJMes

Skyaction.com is WONDERFUL!!! It is bascially the ebay for any smart and savvy traveler. There are GREAT DEALS here, you have to check it out. I got a stay at the West Park Hotel near Center Park South, in Midtown, normally $150 to $200 a night, for $55. There are also great deals for the San Carlos Hotel in Midtown, one block east of the Waldorf. This hotel has every need you could possibly ask for and usually runs $350 a night. I have seen it go for as little as $90 on skyauction.com. CHECK IT OUT

Comments